Which came first?

Which Came First?

• Chicken

Votes: 107 45.9%
  • Egg

Votes: 126 54.1%

• Total voters
Well I thought of it this way.... Evolutionarily the egg came first, theologically the chicken came first. Take your pick.

First came the egg.
Then came Neverdie. He outbid everyone, proving that he was no chicken.
Therefore, everyone else is a chicken.
My logic is wondrous and clear.

oh my gawd . . . now i have a headache

lol

that word up there was bothering me . . .

Main Entry: co·ac·er·vate
Pronunciation: \kō-ˈa-sər-ˌvāt\
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin coacervatus, past participle of coacervare to heap up, from co- + acervus heap
Date: 1929
: an aggregate of colloidal droplets held together by electrostatic attractive forces

No problem: The eggs came first (over easy), then the bacon. Chickens didn't evolve until lunch time. Right around the same time mayonnaise was discovered.

they came at the same time ( if you believe in creation)

if God's a myth then i have no clue....

The egg is taking the lead :yay:

i like chicken .

The Real Question is Who at MA Laid the Egg ?????

They're probably Still too sore from laying:eek: the thing to sit on it and hatch it

OMG let ND make an omelette with the Egg... might do it.. :)

In the beginning there was MA and MA seperated the money from the masses and there was Project Entropia.

But the masses were confused and bored and verily many did say "This sucks!", so MA created the egg, and the egg was good.

And the masses saw the egg and praised the egg, but some clumsy argo stomped on it and thus the egg became gooey toe jam. This made the masses sad and they cried to MA in one voice and asked "What's the spawn rate on the egg? We want to see it again that we may worship it!"

MA was very pleased that the masses enjoyed the egg but MA could not bring back the egg yet because the code was faulty and the Holy Technician was on holiday in Tenerife for the week.

So MA created the chicken and the chicken was good. And MA made the chicken with a fast spawn rate so that all the people could kill the chicken and enjoy its looty goodness.

But soon the masses got tired that they must kill 100 chickens to receive more than 2 pecs for this was before MA made the chickens loot vials of fluid instead of small bits of coin and the masses once again cried out to MA "This sucks!" and MA was not pleased.

But soon the Holy Technician returned from holiday in Tenerife and fixed the bug that prevented the egg from respawning and the masses had something to pretty to look at instead of repeatedly killing the same chicken and MA saw that this was good.

So MA continued to create new pretty things to look at and new creatures to kill so that the masses would be content when they killed the same creature over and over because when they rested from their labours they always had pretty things to look at.

And so my children, you see that the egg most definitely came before the chicken.

:silly2:

-Remmie

the verdict is still out on this one. lets get some more opinions on this subject.

So far what I have read is brilliant.

King

It boils down to semantics.

Do we consider the predecessors of chickens that did not yet lay eggs to be chickens for the purposes of this question? If so, the chicken came first.

If we don't consider the ancestors, the egg came first, as the being with the mutation that would make it the first creature we would classify a chicken would emerge from that egg.

I realize this serious post makes me seem like a horrible seriousface, but I tried coming up with something witty but failed miserably.

The rooster came first.

From an evolutionary point of view, the egg of course. Quite logical. Eggs existed already well before chiken appeared on the land. :)

(it still strikes me how many people just cannot accept it or even understand the concept of evolution)

(it still strikes me how many people just cannot accept it or even understand the concept of evolution)

Hmm...

There is (micro) evolution and (macro) evolution. People on either side of the argument only use the word *evolution* without defining it, and that is a problem.

(Micro) evolution is science and can be seen and proven. (Macro) evolution is a Religion which can not be proven and requires as much or more faith than Christianity or any other.

In EU I would say first came the Beryclad, then the egg, then discussion of the egg, then discussion of the egg vs. chicken. So egg came first i guess.

I voted chicken in the poll.

narfi

The egg of course. Dinosaurs laid eggs before chickens ever evolved! :umn:

Hmm...

There is (micro) evolution and (macro) evolution. People on either side of the argument only use the word *evolution* without defining it, and that is a problem.

(Micro) evolution is science and can be seen and proven. (Macro) evolution is a Religion which can not be proven and requires as much or more faith than Christianity or any other.

narfi
I use "evolution" for both. I have never heard of those distinct concepts in my entire life, and i'm very aquainted to the phylogenetic subtleties. Moreover, doesn't (micro)evolution prove the existance of (macro)evolution? By macro, you mean the historical, that one that is supported by archaelogical/paleanthropic evidences, right?
By micro evolution, perhaps you mean procariotic or archae evolution, that can be verified in lab in a few days, since every generation lasts 1-2 hours?
I.e., selective pressure in action and you can follow the progress of close to 50 generations in only a couple of days. Oh, and we are talking about modern Darwinism, not Lamarckism of course.

Ah, and pardon me if I'm mistaken, but even the pope does imply that the church must keep an open mind on the subject and that afterall the book of genesis is only metaphoric. Also supported by the majority of the priests in my country last i heard the news on that subject.

Do we consider the predecessors of chickens that did not yet lay eggs to be chickens for the purposes of this question? If so, the chicken came first.

If we don't consider the ancestors, the egg came first, as the being with the mutation that would make it the first creature we would classify a chicken would emerge from that egg.

This answer probably makes me more seriousface than you, but the original question does not state that the egg need to be from a chicken. Therefore semantics does not matter. The egg came first.

One can argue that it is implied that the egg should be a "chicken egg", However, then the term "chicken egg" needs to be defined (otherwise the question is not well specified). Depending on the definition of "chicken egg" the answer can be either the "chicken egg" or the chicken.

IMHO: It is not possible to ask this question accurately without also implicitely give the answer. The dilemma relies on an ill-posed question.

For those who are creationalists the answer is "God knows". Literally since the bible is not detailed enough on the question of creation order.

Hmm...

Micro- and macroevolution are the same thing, observed on different timescales. One cannot exist without the other, that would be absurd.

Belief in evolution is not religion any more than belief in gravity. It has been shown to be true from fields ranging from paleontology to molecular biology. Saying it cannot be proved is simply wrong.
The only reason evolution gets all this flak is because other explanations were in its place first.

If you really care about the subject, I suggest reading up on evolution a bit before making those sort of comments.

if you believe in evolution then it's a simple answer... the egg came first.

a chicken predecessor laid an EGG, and from it, was born the first chicken :)

Jury is still out on this one.

i say the chicken - he was spawned from nothing (big bang) and then for some reason or another the female shows up and with out reason they discoverd :inbed: Sex :makelove: and woot hoot they created the EGG

the topic has been revived from the dead yet again?:scratch2:
are you guys that bored?

I say, the rooster! :yay:

Last edited:
are you guys that bored?
If the rooster was the first than he must of had a surprise just pop out of him.

are you guys that bored?
Bored yes but I thought this age old question really needs an answer so I had to but my two pecs in. :laugh::laugh:

I don't know really but read this some where " The chicken came first. God would look silly sitting on a egg".

What if the first chicken wasn't laid by an egg? What if it was something else?

Dinosaurs and reptiles laid eggs...one day an egg hatched and there was the next evolutionary step..a bird. What came first...the reptile.

Now chickens have evolved to the extent that they come not in eggs alone but also in Tikka Masala.

t

A man who owned a chicken here in Lancashire had a problem where his bird laid an egg in his next door neighbour's garden...so he climbed the fence to retrieve it...and got caught. A row ensued over the ownership of the egg, the guy next door proposed that it was laid on his land therefore was his, the hen owner said the bird ownership was key..deadlock. The hen owner challenged the neighbour to a clog fight, an old Lancashire custom involving wooden clogs and taking turns to kick each other until someone quits, the quitter gives up all rights to the egg.

This agreed..the chicken owner takes 1st turn...one hard kick right between the neighbour's legs that left him in a ball in agony for a long time...eventually he struggles up to his feet with a vengeful look on his face.
"My turn now!" says he smiling an evil smile.
"Forget it..you can keep it, it's only an egg :) " replies the man jauntily climbing back over the fence with his chicken.

Last edited:
I don't know really but read this some where " The chicken came first. God would look silly sitting on a egg".

:lolup: :lolup:
what he would not have to set on it.. he just deligate it to one of the female angels

Back