Question: Why not bring back rent?

Mathamus

Mature
Now I know that sounds like a silly question, but something struck me as I was grinding away today. There are some avatards that purchased large amounts of clds, and there's no way that they would really be able to use that many homes. So, why not bring the rent system back, where the rent goes to the land deed holder? That way homes for rent at a cheap price, maybe 4 - 20 ped a month, 5 ped a week. That way those avatars that could not otherwise afford to pay for the enormous markup the clds will soon have, will still be given the ability to rent a home to display their uber loots, or plop down a shopkeeper pad. Could take it one step further and allow rent payable by whatever the landeeder holder deems is worth the amount of rent. Maybe allowing them to even pay rent by sweat, but even just giving the deed holder the ability to set rent would be awesome.

The reason why I'm wondering about all this is because I have enough deeds for a home, but I really don't cycle enough ped to really need a home to stash goods. Can't really justify having one at the moment. My apologies if this has already been addressed in another thread.

So, thinking about this more, there would need to be a lease agreement. So, i was thinking, if you allowed the Deed holder to create a rent chit, where they can set the amount of days it's for rent, set an asking price, and allow them to put it on the market for other avatars to bid on. This could also work nicely for high MU UL items as well. After the days are up, the chit disappears and the item is returned to the owners storage.

This would bypass trust issues with lending using the honor system, and allow avatars to make a few ped off of their uber items. The auction hall would need a sub-section of rentables as well.

No, no and thrice more no!:mad:

I dont see why anyone with property (e.g. shops/apartments) would want to have rent return.:scratch2:

Edit: As the thread has moved on, its become clear that the OP didnt mean return of the old rent system. I've no issue with a system whereby the owner of the deed can rent it out to another player for a period of time. My beef above relates to paying rent on something I own.

Last edited:
No, no and thrice more no!:mad:

I dont see why anyone with property (e.g. shops/apartments) would want to have rent return.:scratch2:

Maybe to get a return on their investment? Not sure if you were being sarcastic with your post. I'm sure there are plenty of speculators that may have bought property/shops on other planets that wouldn't mind renting them out while they are traveling the universe or too busy to bother upkeeping them.

Shops already. Charge small fees on each sells
why should I pay rent for apartment that's retard

At. Other way I should say the need introduce system sometime we can all rent item shops armor guns etc
But paying rent for apartment I just don't see why. you should buy my apartment n ask mindark to charge you rent on it

:lolup:

Last edited:
ehm.. are you mixing things up? CLDs don't have anything to do with apartments. :scratch2:

ehm.. are you mixing things up? CLDs don't have anything to do with apartments. :scratch2:

Per 9 CLD's you should be able to "build" a estate in the future

If it is a apartment tho I am not sure, I was hoping a house :)

Perhaps ONLY on CLD-built properties. AND that rent goes to player/CLD-owner.

Otherwise, NO rent on calypso.

I don't understand why this concept is so confusing. The rent wouldn't go to MA, it would go to whoever the land deed holder/item/whatever is. It's for people who can't raise the capital necessary to own a shop/house/whatever to let them try it out. It was just an idea I stormed up. Right now, i don't own an apartment or home, but because I do receive some sort of income from CLDS, i probably wouldn't mind renting a shop booth at my level, just to try it for some time, hell, maybe even make some profit. This way, the person that owns the shop/deed/whatever, doesn't have to sell the entire thing, but still make some income off of it instead of it just being an empty waste of space. I mean, cmon, imagine what else could be rentable as well, such as a decked out spaceship, maybe an avatar would like to try being a captain of a ship for a week but can't really afford to pay the huge price to buy one, but could afford to rent one for a bit.

Perhaps ONLY on CLD-built properties. AND that rent goes to player/CLD-owner.

Otherwise, NO rent on calypso.

I don't know if it would be such a good idea to exclude current property owners from being allowed to rent out their deeds. I'm sure that would upset those who paid much more for shops, etc, than 9k ped.

Because you are expressing it in a confusing manner.
1. The rent that was there was paid to MA. You say in your heading "Why not bring back rent?".
2. CLDs have indeed no relation to properties bought - mentioning them are confusing.

I guess youre just proposing to have ability to rent apartments etc person to person with a warranty to get the item/land back and warranty to get the rent payment.
I don't mind, sounds good but I would propose to do it for any item (say fap etc.)

I don't understand why this concept is so confusing. The rent wouldn't go to MA, it would go to whoever the land deed holder/item/whatever is. It's for people who can't raise the capital necessary to own a shop/house/whatever to let them try it out. It was just an idea I stormed up. Right now, i don't own an apartment or home, but because I do receive some sort of income from CLDS, i probably wouldn't mind renting a shop booth at my level, just to try it for some time, hell, maybe even make some profit. This way, the person that owns the shop/deed/whatever, doesn't have to sell the entire thing, but still make some income off of it instead of it just being an empty waste of space. I mean, cmon, imagine what else could be rentable as well, such as a decked out spaceship, maybe an avatar would like to try being a captain of a ship for a week but can't really afford to pay the huge price to buy one, but could afford to rent one for a bit.

I apologize if I presented it in a confusing matter. I mentioned CLDs because there was a promise of the ability to build a home/structure with 9 of them. Also, considering the amount of CLDS out there, that's a lot of homes for those who bought many multiples of 9. Which is why I posted this under the CLD forum section...than I sort of expanded the idea to everything else, so... i guess this thread could be more in the suggestions section. I agree, it should extend to UL items, and obviously not allow for said items to be TT'd while being rented.

Last edited:
1. The rent that was there was paid to MA. You say in your heading "Why not bring back rent?".
2. CLDs have indeed no relation to properties bought - mentioning them are confusing.

That's it! It's poorly presented, and even I was left confused.

My suggestion.. think this out nicely... once again. Write the draft a couple of times. Clean it up. And present it in a NEW thread with clean paragraphs and headers. ;)

It is a good idea, and would let property OWNERS benefit from:
(a) Ability to RENT out ANY existing properties for monthly income agree upon.
(b) Ability to create a "SUB-LEASE" deed by right-clicking property deed, and then exchanging that for as tenancy agreement (so original deed is NEVER handed out).
(c) Ability to TERMINATE sub-lease UPON END OF MONTH/TENURE. //Note this can be open to griefing. Please discuss.

To keep things consistent, all leases rent is paid on 1st of each month. The owner can choose to charge/trade extra peds as deposit if any exchange is made in middle of the month.

The TERMINATE ability is needed if tenant-avatar suddenly disappears for months? And rent is due... and not paid? The property access & sale of items is also locked to public until rentee pays the rent.

What happens to all items inside the property in case of TERMINATED contract? I'd suggest all items on the property are automagically moved to avatar's INVENTORY upon contract termination.

Furthermore.... why restrict this idea to properties? What about rental of all items (guns/vehicles/amps/faps/etc!!)? :yay::yay::yay::yay:

That's it! It's poorly presented, and even I was left confused.

My suggestion.. think this out nicely... once again. Write the draft a couple of times. Clean it up. And present it in a NEW thread with clean paragraphs and headers. ;)

I really don't think it's necessary to do so considering how eloquently you and other avatars have already responded, clearing up any confusion that I may have created.

Clean paragraphs and headers....yeesh, would you like me to use MLA or APA formatting?

I like the ideas though, and I was thinking of month to month leases. This is why the landeed holder would control the amount of time that the property would be rented for. For instance, there could be a house up for rent for 20 ped a month, you pay the 20 ped to rent it for the month during which time the Landlord could not terminate your occupying that space. It would be much more competitive though if it were put up on auction so the players could determine how much monthly rent for that item/property would be.

I think this would be great for those of us who enjoy visiting planets but staying for extended amounts of time. Instead of having to buy a piece of property for each planet, you could visit for 30 days and rent a space, possibly one that's furnished with a shopkeeper pad. This could also be pretty useful for those who have tp III chips and above, so that they can utilize them on planets that they don't plan to settle in. The TP home function or whatever.

Furthermore.... why restrict this idea to properties? What about rental of all items (guns/vehicles/amps/faps/etc!!)? :yay::yay::yay::yay:

I can tell you why this won't happen :) Many items have very limited or rare use but we still keep them, just in case. Thousands of redundant items gather dust in storages, having a lot of peds stuck in them. They don't litter the market and thus retain some MU in them, because when someone actually need one of those, it takes time to find it and persuade the reluctant owner to part with it :)

Now see what happens if we can freely rent all our stuff. We take all the rusty shit off our storages and rent it out. In fact, we manage to rent out maybe 0.1% of that before the market is flooded, because everything is extremely redundant. The items quickly lose all MU and before long we clean our storages right into tt, freeing lots of peds and not having to deposit for years. MA stuff is starving, Swedish economics collapses :)

I'd love to lie in a spa sucking on a mojito while my rented out T10 opalo makes me a fortune, but I don't want to risk the future of the whole nation because of my greed :D

Last edited:
It's funny how everyone thinks "I'm going to build a house". Just a hint - look at the development costs of LAs. I hardly doubt they will suddenly offer ppl houses for 1k peds or something. :lolup:

I could see renting a shop, but no real purpose to rent a house for storage.

And :wise: you are making the assumption MA will follow through with the land deed thing. I would say that function is a good 1 1/2 years in the future and thats if the 2 programers stop what they are doing right now! :silly2:

Yeah, i got a bit confused about the CLD talk and maybe read a bit to fast. I agree that the possibility to rent property to other players would be a nice feature. Any systems that makes it possible to make agreement and deals between players are good, because it hurts nobody. And for the CLD, the 9 CLD needed to build a house was just a minimum, if you want to build something bigger you probably need more CLD.

And :wise: you are making the assumption MA will follow through with the land deed thing. I would say that function is a good 1 1/2 years in the future and thats if the 2 programers stop what they are doing right now! :silly2:

Also the way MA works these days-don't expect that having spent around $1000 US will allow you to build a house,Oh no!!
Having bought your Right to build a house you will probably have to loot scavenge or craft Every component needed to actually build said house. If you don't believe that look at Spaceships and the extra needed to make them space-worthy!!

Yeah, i got a bit confused about the CLD talk and maybe read a bit to fast. I agree that the possibility to rent property to other players would be a nice feature. Any systems that makes it possible to make agreement and deals between players are good, because it hurts nobody. And for the CLD, the 9 CLD needed to build a house was just a minimum, if you want to build something bigger you probably need more CLD.

Why not just build upwards or downwards? A 50 storey apartment block would have lots of apartments but only need 9 CLD.

I don't wanna pay rent!!! :loco:

why don't you pay my rent if you like to pay rent so much?! :beerchug:

I don't wanna pay rent!!! :loco:
why don't you pay my rent if you like to pay rent so much?! :beerchug:

Mathamus, more people are getting confused, and no one will read all posts to decypher the story. :scratch2:

Perhaps clean up the OP so its more coherent for the new readers joining in? ;)

Mathamus, more people are getting confused, and no one will read all posts to decypher the story. :scratch2:

I read the posts! :lolup:

they did not increase my desire to pay rent! :wise:

Dude, i'm soooo done with this thread. I'm confused as to how people are getting confused. If you would like to make a thread of your own that's more clear and concise, please, by all means be my guest.

The heading was supposed to grab attention so that people would read further to understand what I was trying to explain. But even for those people the concept is lost on them. I don't want to have to go back and edit, re-edit a post for a simple idea that is obviously not very popular. I'm actually kind of sorry I even started the damn thing. lol, i shall refrain from sharing my future ideas/thoughts with the community for the time being... Kind of have a headache from it and really don't want to bother anymore :/

It basically comes down to, i can't tell if I'm being trolled, or if people are really this damn stupid to where they can't understand a simple idea. However, it could be that I'm just really stupid and am horrible at submitting ideas in proper form. Either way, I....just really don't care enough to carry on with it. I'd rather spend my time elsewhere.

???

I have no idea what you are asking? When rent was here ma got the rent not the owner of the deed, if I’m correct the deed owner would have to pay ma a monthly rental (Maintenance fee). You as being a person who only possess CLD’s really has no idea what you are asking it seems?

Am I correct in thinking you would have them bring back the rent system (Maintenance fee) to help ppl with cld’s increase their revenue? LoL that seems even more crazy then the dynamic loot that ma has going on now.
There is a way to rent a shop or a deed to another player without having ma stick their noise in your business. So bringing back a monthly rent (Maintenance fee) for all deed owners is just foolish. Wait until you own a deed and see if you want to pay ma a monthly fee.

If you don’t pay they suspend your deed and can’t access it until you pay your back fee and if you refuse to pay you lose your deed.

I know your CLD’s are not bringing in the uber money you all had hoped for but don’t try to have ma impose a fee just to increase your CLD revenue that’s just greedy and stupid and I don’t know how many actual deed owners (not CLD holders) would agree to have a monthly fee reissued just to help ppl who have CLD’s.

I have no idea what you are asking? When rent was here ma got the rent not the owner of the deed, if I’m correct the deed owner would have to pay ma a monthly rental (Maintenance fee). You as being a person who only possess CLD’s really has no idea what you are asking it seems?

Am I correct in thinking you would have them bring back the rent system (Maintenance fee) to help ppl with cld’s increase their revenue? LoL that seems even more crazy then the dynamic loot that ma has going on now.
There is a way to rent a shop or a deed to another player without having ma stick their noise in your business. So bringing back a monthly rent (Maintenance fee) for all deed owners is just foolish. Wait until you own a deed and see if you want to pay ma a monthly fee.

If you don’t pay they suspend your deed and can’t access it until you pay your back fee and if you refuse to pay you lose your deed.

I know your CLD’s are not bringing in the uber money you all had hoped for but don’t try to have ma impose a fee just to increase your CLD revenue that’s just greedy and stupid and I don’t know how many actual deed owners (not CLD holders) would agree to have a monthly fee reissued just to help ppl who have CLD’s.

MA wouldn't impose shit, it would be up to the owner of the house that the deeds are attached to whether or not he would like to put it up for rent. Why the fuck are people so ready to fight over such a simple fucking idea?? MA would have no part in the fees, NOBODY WOULD BE FORCED TO DO ANYTHING THAT THEY OTHERWISE WOULD BE DOING. you don't have to rent a place if you don't want to, so why the fuck are you even posting?? All you had to say was, I wouldn't be willing to pay rent for a place.... ok, that's good, now we got some feedback. I don't see why you think that giving players more options to do things with there ingame assets that they invested REAL MONEY for is such a bad thing.

OMg WHY AM I STILl RESPONDING TO THIs FAIL THREAD

Back