Wireless Router Recommendations?

Chrome

Elite
Society
Kaos
Mono Chrome Monochrome
Hey all...

I need to get a decent wireless cable internet router that works well at a relatively decent price.

Any recommendations on what I should consider? Thanks! :D

the dir 615's are nice low price and still with things like qos

Still rocking my DIR-655...it is a very stable router. :D

I currently have an older D-Link WBR-1310, are the 615 and 655 about the same or better?

Any opinions on the Belkins? I saw one that needs a receiver plugged into the USB port or something...

I currently have an older D-Link WBR-1310, are the 615 and 655 about the same or better?

Any opinions on the Belkins? I saw one that needs a receiver plugged into the USB port or something...

the 655 is better but cost more, I have a few friends with them and used one to set up a cafe no problems so far. I use a 615 and love it, to be fair I also have a fortigate 60m for complicated networking the 615 is just for random wireless.

if you have a normal sized home odds are you will be happy with the 615 though if you have a lot of wireless devices and people accessing the router the 655 would be a better choice. if you go with it ignore how you see the antennas on the box set them up so they are 100% vertical it wont look as "cool" but it will not limit the range as it would with the silly angles.

I can't advise on the newer belkins I have not had one in years but I did not care for the one I did have. I am more conformable working with cisco and dlink, none entry level cisco networking equipment is outstanding.

Edit:
sorry did not address the question concerning the WBR-1310, its security is considered sub par now, as with its range, and that it dose not support n draft. if the computers and such you have are capable of 802.11N I would pick up a new router. also it dose not matter what you have for wireless tech wired will smoke it every time like a MM to a chirpy, Pink mist yo!

Last edited:
OK, with the 615 or the 655 will I need one of those USB antennas for my PC?

(I have been hardwired for years, but now have a need to use wireless for my own computer...)

OK, with the 615 or the 655 will I need one of those USB antennas for my PC?

(I have been hardwired for years, but now have a need to use wireless for my own computer...)
Nope. Like most routers they have four LAN ports on the back for hardwired - in the case of the 655, all four ports are gigabit, so they are as fast as you could possibly need them to be.

Wireless is only for laptops or if you have a hard-to-reach desktop that you don't want to hard wire.

Nope. Like most routers they have four LAN ports on the back for hardwired - in the case of the 655, all four ports are gigabit, so they are as fast as you could possibly need them to be.

Wireless is only for laptops or if you have a hard-to-reach desktop that you don't want to hard wire.

That's the thing, this desktop computer will now need to receive internet from a different PC, and unfortunately it will have to be wireless. So I assume I'll need one-o-dem USB thingies.

That's the thing, this desktop computer will now need to receive internet from a different PC, and unfortunately it will have to be wireless. So I assume I'll need one-o-dem USB thingies.

Ill omit somethings as they may confuse.

modern none entry level motherboards all have wireless lan "USB thingie built on to the mobo', look on the back for an antenna do you have one?

if you don't you will need to buy one don't spend to much money! eBay can be a good friend here when buying one you will encounter two different "things" I wont get in to here but some will be sold as 802.11g and 802.11n "a, b," is also included but no longer sold think of first gen second third and forth A, B, G, N, everything is backwards comparable so a N router will allow a G or * USB thingie to connect, though a router can be set up to disallow this. if you spent the money for a N router buy a N USB dongle also. if the computer will be at a larger distance from the router you would be wise to buy a dongle that has a attached base with a few feet of cord so you can better position it for a more reliable signal.

if you encounter range problems I would love to assist, I have created some really cool and not even close to legal wifi creations. adapters so powerful they require external power and cooling solutions when I use them on a Linux os

some stuffs to read if you find your self wanting to know more
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11

as a side note I hate Linux it bothers me when I have to use it for any reason.

D-Link Sucks while Belkin and Netgear rocks.

Requirements of Higher Range then Netgear would be great and Easy for initial Setup then Go for Belkin.

D-Link Sucks while Belkin and Netgear rocks.
Erm...let's not confuse opinion and fact here...

All 3 brands make some nice products.

are you saying you need to put the wireless router between your pc and another pc to get internet?
maybe things have changed recently with wireless and with usb, and i guess it also depends if you play entropia casually in "turn based browser game" way or more fast paced, but both wireless and usb were not designed with low latency in mind, and by using both you are stacking problem upon problem, and i personally would try anything i can to find a different solution.

Back