Why virtual designs will make millions: DesignEX keynote - Architecture and Design

News Bot

Guardian

[SIZE=-2]Architecture and Design[/SIZE]

Why virtual designs will make millions: DesignEX keynote
[SIZE=-1]Architecture and Design[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]That was the case of Planet Calypso from the Entropia Universe social gaming site. Keynote speaker at designEX, Kevin Shopfer, explained that this is a scenario that we can expect to see more of, and in fact it spells a great opportunity for architects ...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]http://news.google.com/news/more?pz=1&ned=us&ncl=d4AdBdz58EaaOKM[/SIZE]

More...

News feed provided by Google News.

Er yeah, you may have missed the point completely there. As if anyone bought EU property because it looked good...

Who missed the point? I kinda missed your point.

The guy in the article connecting EU property sales with virtual architecture.

He may be right that virtual architects have a role in the future, but it ain't happening here yet :D

If they subdivide land so that we can build architects may have a role. Problem is most apartments, except for Medusa are in barren places. But saying that we don't want EU to turn into SL, which is quite messy.
If they did make building and architecture a skill it would be very interesting.

The guy in the article connecting EU property sales with virtual architecture.

He may be right that virtual architects have a role in the future, but it ain't happening here yet :D

Don't be so sure :) Someone had to create the worlds and buildings for EU but i would say EU was just an example of what is possible in the future and if you are an architect it wouldn't be wise to ignore the possibilities that could arise down the track as far as virtual design/worlds/structures goes.

Let's face it if your a good Architect and have mad 3D skills you have another avenue for work to pursue, one without limitations on your imagination.

I'm sure if a mechanic made an article in a similar way about car games 15 years ago we could have the same conversation.

Gotta love computers... sometimes :)

If they subdivide land so that we can build architects may have a role. Problem is most apartments, except for Medusa are in barren places. But saying that we don't want EU to turn into SL, which is quite messy.
If they did make building and architecture a skill it would be very interesting.

Yes depends how you come at it, i think architects would be looking more at creating the cities and worlds for the developers of games rather than making a house for a gamer who is only willing to pay 1000 ped or something stupid.

Having said that, allowing LA owners to create there own villages, towns, mansions etc to strict guidelines as we have in real life would be great :) and i'm sure we would get some excellent things created.

well, yes, but the main function of an architect is to make sure that the pretty buildings can be built cost-effectively and that they don't fall down and kill everyone. Neither of those is really an issue in the virtual world. A good graphic artist can make virtual buildings that are as pretty as any that are designed by a trained architect.

Don't be so sure :) Someone had to create the worlds and buildings for EU but i would say EU was just an example of what is possible in the future and if you are an architect it wouldn't be wise to ignore the possibilities that could arise down the track as far as virtual design/worlds/structures goes.

Let's face it if your a good Architect and have mad 3D skills you have another avenue for work to pursue, one without limitations on your imagination.

I'm sure if a mechanic made an article in a similar way about car games 15 years ago we could have the same conversation.

Gotta love computers... sometimes :)

Oh yeah, like I said, maybe in the future. The guys that are making the Cyrene planet are originally an architecture firm so they obviously think there is something in it.

But judging by the article this guy has obviously just picked up on something that he saw in the press and made up some bollocks presentation about it. If he knew what he was talking about then it would have been about Cyrene or Second Life, where this type of thing already exists.

It's not the concept I'm dissing, just saying this guy doesn't seem to know what he's on about :)

well, yes, but the main function of an architect is to make sure that the pretty buildings can be built cost-effectively and that they don't fall down and kill everyone. Neither of those is really an issue in the virtual world. A good graphic artist can make virtual buildings that are as pretty as any that are designed by a trained architect.

I'm sure some graphic artists could do it, shit a dog wrangler could do it if they had the skills, I'm not a graphic artist and i can do it, but the article is talking about architects looking at the virtual design area.

Not having to worry about quakes, hurricanes and materials budgets is a plus I'd say.

Yes depends how you come at it, i think architects would be looking more at creating the cities and worlds for the developers of games rather than making a house for a gamer who is only willing to pay 1000 ped or something stupid.

Having said that, allowing LA owners to create there own villages, towns, mansions etc to strict guidelines as we have in real life would be great :) and i'm sure we would get some excellent things created.

While still a smaller market for a lower skilled Architect; Selling to not one but many buyers the same model might open up yet another market.

For example Architect one makes one design (something like patten or copy write) and is able to sell many of these houses or structures that he / she is able to build and sell. So while one sale will not be worth it for a starting Architect many structures might be.

The bigger Architect will probably want in on deals with whole planets to be honest or until some one turns around and says in the corporate latter well we really don't need to hire Architects after all there is no codes or regulations and well lets face it programmers have been doing this type of work for ages for less money...

Design is never virtual no matter what the final implementation will be.

That was somewhat hollow article in so many aspects.

Not arguing about the article, its crap. But I think the design of Medusa has a positive impact on the property prices there. If the buildings in PA had apartments that were for sale, I imagine some buildings would have more expensive apartments than others. What we need is more diversity in buildings that have apartments for sale.

For example Architect one makes one design (something like patten or copy write) and is able to sell many of these houses or structures that he / she is able to build and sell. So while one sale will not be worth it for a starting Architect many structures might be.

I think the way it would work, is if it would be possible to buy a lot in a city in entropia, with some attached limits (like number of floors, televators and item points per square meter), and then have the architect be in charge of the design and later sale of the apartments. Planet partner should just have some stylistic input (and get peds for the lot), for other parts the architect should be free to execute.

Of course, this needs a big decision on the part of the planet partner. A design contest for a building that is free to enter (but you still have to buy the lot if you win) might maybe be a way to start.

The guys who sell the most houses or designs in virtual worlds ( SL )are not architects, just ordinary players
Normal folks like kitsch designs the most, things like little cute houses with a chimey and a front garden :)
Like the Smurf houses :)))))))
If you put some architectural masterpieces or experimental designs for sale -> it wont sell at all
The potential buyers are only another crazy architect or student who just got brainwashed at school.
And the news is those guys arent millionairs :) poor as hell

The guys who sell the most houses or designs in virtual worlds ( SL )are not architects, just ordinary players
Normal folks like kitsch designs the most, things like little cute houses with a chimey and a front garden :)
Like the Smurf houses :)))))))
If you put some architectural masterpieces or experimental designs for sale -> it wont sell at all
The potential buyers are only another crazy architect or student who just got brainwashed at school.
And the news is those guys arent millionairs :) poor as hell

This is only true if there is no real cost to the land you build on. A "cute" little house with a chimney and garden? You can maybe fit 4 of those in the space you might otherwise be able to fit a 10 floor building that also fits a garden. Quite possibly on the rooftop.

Buying virtual property with real money just because it looks nice makes little sense. I don't see huge opportunities for paid virtual designs.

I feel kinda sad that all EU promotion and info contains the 'record' + 'virtual' + 'sale $$$' trinity. It's a dead end, by all means. Hows bout some 'gameplay' 'quality' and 'value for money' instead?

at the beginning in SL , lands cost a lot and all you see are smurf houses or kakamel's castles...
even with monthly fee and limited number of objects.
people spend a lot money on lands and virutal objects, due to the hype I think.
A lot folks and hot money swarm in because they all think they can profit, after reading Anshe's million and some record breaking sale at PE.

Now it doesnt matter if it is SL or EU, it is deadend for sure, like sky said...

I try not to post in others threads when I am at odds or confused.

um they use computers all the time to design buildings
The computer adds in the structure for gravity and wind and everything.

Players building here on entropia.
Yes without a doubt it should happen.
You would have to pay for eveything in your building fun.
It would need to be close to what you would spend in ped per hour as in other trades.
Places to be built could be player owned land,instanced.
With option to have offline sandbox to test ideas before the purchase of in game stucture items.
Dont cut the wood wrong.

I can bet some architect is being paid by the makers of this game.
I wonder what his name is?

I am offended when you say "Buying virtual property with real money just because it looks nice makes little sense. I don't see huge opportunities for paid virtual designs.
I feel kinda sad that all EU promotion and info contains the 'record' + 'virtual' + 'sale $$$' trinity. It's a dead end, by all means. Hows bout some 'gameplay' 'quality' and 'value for money' instead? "

I myself and friends ingame do not come to make money off of some dead sweaty beast.
We do not buy shops and houses and property just to stand there and shout to passing players.
"buy this hunt here" yes sure this is fun and we do it but we do it for fun.
If we make peds we are happy and party.
If we dont we shrug our shoulders and find someting else to do.
Have been on the sand dunes just south of Cape Corinth. So much fun.

The buildings here are fantasitc and real.
I know a player who sits home in a chair he cannot leave and he is not stuck in that chair.
In entropia he flys and runs and dances and buys a home that overlooks a lake.
Some citys in this RLEarthworld are no fun to go outside in.
Its to dark the hookers are out and the dictators want us to go home.
Entropia is freedom from alott of things and it does not get more real then that!

Last edited:
I doubt we'll ever see third party designs uploaded by players in EU due to the licensing involved and MA / SDS / NDS don't want people adding copyrighted designs to their planet that could end up with a lawsuit. It would also lead to direct competition with their own stuff.

If someone uploaded a vehicle or building that looked better than their designs but were charging a much lower price it would crash the EU economy. i.e. the cheapest vehicles and buildings would be the best looking ones and if you uploaded designs theres no stopping someone flooding the market. It's this reasoning that MA charge so much for uploading images and videos, it's not for hosting as all of that is cached locally in 'C:\Users\Public\entropia universe\public_users_data\participant_content'

What this guy has grabbed onto is that a lot of design companies have used game engines to show off their designs.

over-250-universities-sign-up-for-cryengine-3-educational-license

It's makes showing concepts off a lot easier to people who wouldn't understand a 2D line drawing.

^^^ btw thats CE2.

so it only makes sense that they sell their designs to other people and monetized the work they put into them.

People want to live the dream and if they can't do it in real life they'll do it virtually, just look at the some of the effort put into some of the EU apartments people have.

Last edited:
Nope we will not be uploading our own stuff I think, it would however be nice if some how we could have some say in what buildings look like in game. With all the stuff we have ingame now, you can clearly see that the designers did not have any experience in designing buildings (well with PA they went in the right direction).

I have been asking for some sort of competition to design a building, like FPC did with the mob that resulted in the Proteron. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people out there that do have some experience in designing buildings and would be more then willing to help out. It might even look good on a young architects resume to have designed a virtual building.

I`m sure the professionals will find a way to create revenue from the technology as always.

Sadly I don`t think well ever be making anything in EU aside from more revenue for MA.

what he said. I don't think architects qualify very well to be VIRTUAL world designers. Unless the setting of the virtual world should be so realistic that the mentioned factors need to be considered. However that's not the case in most games. Games tend to be a carbon copy of existing stuff which doesn't really need an architect to build new things or fantasy stuff which doesn't need an architect either. An interesting question would be if that is a good thing though... :tongue2:

Nope we will not be uploading our own stuff I think, it would however be nice if some how we could have some say in what buildings look like in game.

Well, IF an established architect / architecture company approached SDS with the idea of a building / buildings, I can see it working. For the rest of us? No.

Back