Fishing: A new activity for Entropians

Magyar_Republic

Self-requested Deactivation
Society
Whiskey Confederacy
Edward Magyar Republic
Note: To those who are going to respond with Bring Back Old Systems or something to that effect -- already heard it. Drowning out new ideas with your whining isnt going to bring the systems back any faster, nor is it going to make the game better. So shut it. Thanks.

Kim,

Would the following system be of any use to help add value to fishing poles, fun for new players, and more outlets for the generation of tokens?

Fishing - A new activity for new players and veterans.

Goals
  • Catch a specific type of fish which have token value at at the Fish & Game offices.
  • Generate decay to pay for the token value through the use of fishing rods.
  • During competition times larger fish may be caught, with greater token value at the Fish & Game offices.
  • MindArk sponsored regular events at 4-6 hour intervals throughout each day at certain towns.
  • Player ability to create fishing events to encourage newbie involvement, and sell tickets via the event system.
  • Ultimately create a low cost system like sweating that is primarily social and focused around a shared activity.
  • Provide another source of tokens for players.
Items Needed
  • Fishing Rod (unlimited) (also perhaps Bait (limited))
  • Dock structure
  • Fish & Game NPC
  • Tokens
  • Non-aggressive fish mobiles and related animations
  • Animations for casting fishing line, and retrieval of fishing line from the water.
  • Fishing Skill & titles
  • Fishing Profession (perhaps fishing & concentration as base skills, and add other mindforce and zen type skills as contributors)
The Setting

Deploy Fish & Game offices at select towns with access to Fresh Water and Salt Water, if that town has a dock. Claim that edible fish varieties have been successfully bred by one or more corporations. Perhaps Chikara bred a fresh water variety, and Omegaton bred a salt water type. In order to spur a fishing trade these companies have sent out representatives to reward Calypsians who can catch fish of the desired sizes with 1 token per 10 fish obtained (or whatever makes sense for decay to pay for the activity @ 90% return or thereabouts).

Players must then position themselves on a dock, and attempt to catch the fish. The line is cast (animated) and the player is then pushed into a fishing type mini-game, where they can focus in on the end of their line and watch it go from loose to tight. A tight line indicates a fish. The player then would press their use key to reel the line in, with the chance for the fish to stay on the line then being computed based off of whether the player pressed the use key at the correct time (not before the line tightened), and then the players fishing skill. Each use of a fishing pole has a chance to increase skill.

If the player succeeds an animation of the player pulling a fish out of the water occurs, and the player gets 1 fish in their inventory. If the player fails then the player pulls nothing but their hook out and must re-cast with new bait (if bait is implemented).

Events

Events would have similar fishing mechanics, however different varieties of fish would be available to be caught, with the player catching the golden fish getting 10 tokens, the silver fish getting 5 tokens, and the copper fish getting 3 tokens. All other fish caught get 1 token. Winners could be tracked via a scoreboard.

Justifications

Economics in this system seems to me to be tightly controllable, with the value of tokens being on the player to determine, but losses at the fishing level to be easily predictable and manageable for the new player. As a system this may surpass sweating as an income generation tool for some players, diversifying the newbie population and adding choice to the new players first days and weeks in the game.

This also adds purpose to a few towns in the area, and can spur local economies. On the technical side server loads are balanced as players move to lesser utilized servers in order to participate in alternative activities.

Farming is possible, but with proper balancing of the cost to use fishing apparati relative to the monetary gain of a single token farming should be marginal and generally ineffective, requiring players to actively sell tokens or the prizes gained from those tokens at a markup in order to balance intake with outflow.

Fishing is just plain cool, and whole systems could be built around it, including alternative quests. It simulates life actually taking place on Calypso, not just hunting and fighting. It's another step into a virtual world environment.

Lastly, fishing is very popular in alot of free to play games. It's an event players plan for on a daily basis, and show up for just for the opportunity to continue collecting various items they can use later. It's just smart to have something similar within EU.

133998-5-screenshot.jpg

Last edited:
Would love something like this. I used to play a fishing game on my playstation, was one of my favourite games for many moons.

I already have a fishing rod, so bring it on

Sounds good to me :)

5 towns where I feel it could fit: Port Atlantis, Cape Corinth, Nymphtown, TI Castle, New Switzerland

VERY NICE IDEA...

maybe some rare items could be looted by getting stuck on the line. on very rare occassions, and could constitute a sooto or fishing global so to speak

VERY NICE IDEA...

maybe some rare items could be looted by getting stuck on the line. on very rare occassions, and could constitute a sooto or fishing global so to speak

Or fish could be used in food (for small boosts of some stat or something) after being run through a processor, in which an item might be found in the belly of the fish? :dunno:

Great idea :)

They could make a attachment for boats aswell, to enable fishing :)

VERY NICE IDEA...

why does evrything allways have to do with with getting rare item's that is worth a lot.
stop dreaming , you aint gettin a rare item

on topic now,,,

fishing should be possible to do from off boats aswell
and the good fish should be mostly in pvp suited waters.

this will give even more ppl fun times

* newbs can fish from of the docks
* fishing can be done in all waters but the best token giving fish will be in lootable pvp
* there will be a good use for the speedboats
* there will be good use in pvp for army boats and hoovers
* several new jobs come up , fishing peep , protector peep, piracy peep and such.

this could become fun.

why does evrything allways have to do with with getting rare item's that is worth a lot.
stop dreaming , you aint gettin a rare item

on topic now,,,

* fishing can be done in all waters but the best token giving fish will be in lootable pvp

this could become fun.

why does evrything allways have to do with Lootable PVP ... not everyone like that. So if fishing, then please without lootable, exept at the knowing lootable pvps we have.

I vote to make this happen :D shouldn't be that hard to make...just make a few types of fishing rods ( fishing rod mk1, mk2....) and make us able to hurt rippersnappers with it...young -old doable with mk1...prov - alpha mk2....I'd love to sit in my boat and pull fish up...of course fishing shouldn't give loot (get in the water with gun for that) just give the fish (same tt as sweat if need be) and give us soemthing to use it for (maybe bring back some pets :rolleyes: who eat fish and actually help at something)

Fishing lager fish could be doen from a boat....

I'm not sure if I would do so but...

...if you'd have used the search function you'd have seen that you're not the only one:

At least once a year someone seems to get this idea ;)
2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, there are even some tools around already:2009, and last year.

I vote to make this happen :D shouldn't be that hard to make...just make a few types of fishing rods ( fishing rod mk1, mk2....) and make us able to hurt rippersnappers with it...young -old doable with mk1...prov - alpha mk2....I'd love to sit in my boat and pull fish up...of course fishing shouldn't give loot (get in the water with gun for that) just give the fish (same tt as sweat if need be) and give us soemthing to use it for (maybe bring back some pets :rolleyes: who eat fish and actually help at something)

The goal of this idea isn't to create new and expensive items (MK1, MK2, etc) nor is it to hunt any loot bearing mob. Its to introduce a new token based system similar to sweating but with a different product yield and a small cost basis attached that could be funded by menial activities such as sweating or light trading successfully.

In no way do I believe or am I suggesting people with strong fishing rods should ever be able to fish up a leviathan. IMHO fishing is a simple activity that should be available to everyone on a relatively equal basis.

...if you'd have used the search function you'd have seen that you're not the only one:

At least once a year someone seems to get this idea ;)
2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, there are even some tools around already:2009, and last year.

The difference between those ideas and this one is of course the work involved. Those are simple wishes, leaving all ideas up to the developer to flesh out. This is an actual suggestion providing a framework the developer can work with to assess feasibility. Its like saying "I'd like to buy a car" vs "I'd like to buy a 1973 Triumph TR6 with original mag wheels, quad carburetor setup, bored engine with hardened cams, and a turbocharger."

Attempting to equate this idea with those other ones is like saying to someone interested in the car above that they should drive a Ford because everybody else is.
:bs:

Fishing lager fish could be doen from a boat....

Lager fish eh? Is that anything like Beer Bass? Perhaps a Pilsner Perch, or a Sudsy Salmon. :laugh:

Last edited:
Sounds good to me :)

5 towns where I feel it could fit: Port Atlantis, Cape Corinth, Nymphtown, TI Castle, New Switzerland

And a 333K Mod Rod that can fish from the bridge at Naga?

I used to play another MMORPG that had a simple fishing activity and it was very cool. The bait was like ammo (purchased) and most times you would lose your bait (less often with more exp.) and the pole (also purchased) could break. The things you caught were not very valuable, more bait, a useless shoe, rusty blade, etc. The fish (when you were able to get one) were used in crafting, the filet in food, the oil like the oils we currently have, and the best--the bones crafted darts, a kind of melee tagging weapon!

Bring on the fishing! :D

Maybe could use fruit in the bait? :)

People like you only brought and keep bringing catastrophical ideas in this game. Thats why PE stands where it is today.
Since i enroled here i knew 3 professions: 1. hunter 2. crafter 3. miner Now u wanna introduce the 4th- fisherman.
In few years were gonna have to accept pimps outside town walls and garbage people who clean towns or who knows what.
Just play other games and not give so many stupid idea to nowadays devs, u already see where we are atm -90% whining for loosing when few years ago everybody could live a nice life here with a bit of knowledge.

Dont dare to neg rep me cuz u know im right and you are dreaming

People like you only brought and keep bringing catastrophical ideas in this game. Thats why PE stands where it is today.
Since i enroled here i knew 3 professions: 1. hunter 2. crafter 3. miner Now u wanna introduce the 4th- fisherman.
In few years were gonna have to accept pimps outside town walls and garbage people who clean towns or who knows what.
Just play other games and not give so many stupid idea to nowadays devs, u already see where we are atm -90% whining for loosing when few years ago everybody could live a nice life here with a bit of knowledge.

Dont dare to neg rep me cuz u know im right and you are dreaming

Fear of change much? Why should the game stay stagnate? How is that good for it?

As for fishing we could even make it much more complicated.
Instead of simple bait fishing add lures aswell, require skill at they keyboard to reel in properly to attract fish and not get snagged. With certain lures being more attractive to certain fish(like how you are more likely to catch a pike on a red and white devil then a trout).
Also implement real skill at the keyboard for bringing the fish in, when to reel in, when to let the fish run for a bit. Fishing is less about the fish and more about the fight in my opinion.
Also have the fish "learn" Fish are not that stupid, if lots of people fish in a small area, less fish go there. So have the devs thin out fish in areas that are over fished, increasing density elsewhere.
Also knowledge of fishing can help to. Fishing on the outside bend of a river will always be better then the inside bend, because fish wait there for food to wash in. Fishing under bridges is also good, as fish like the shade provided. Fish like to hang out behind cribs for the same reason they like to hang out on the outside bend. Some fish like to hang out near the bottom of waterfalls or anywhere that air gets mixed into the water.
Then with lakes and oceans it's pretty simple, small fish close to shore(some like the weeds, others like rocks, etc) and big fish the deeper you go. Fish prefer area's that are deep but close to shore, so a deep inlet would have better results then a shallow one.
Other fish are migratory so they will not always be in there normal habitat. Take pacific salmon, you wont ever catch one in a river until spawning season, but during spawning season they pack in tight and are easy to catch.
Some fish are better to catch during the day, others at dusk and dawn.

I might be over complicating things :)

I might be over complicating things :)

You are. :dance: The purpose was to start with a relatively simple idea. If it took hold with the community the developers would of course be free to do with it what they will. Unlike the poster above you I expect the systems to change alot over the next 3 years, and welcome such change as being part of the virtual world experience. If fishing turns out to be a favorite Im sure it would be updated many times over.

Fishing is Fun!!

I like the idea!! I had mentioned fishing when I first started playing :D Whoo Hoo!! :wtg:

We already have UL fishing rods, any more fishing rods introduced should be L, and have sib.

Right. I was attempting to suggest we use the rods we have already. I do agree though any more rods introduced that are different from these should be L, very low cost, and sure, SIB.

I want to stress though that rods should not allow you to catch bigger fish, rippersnappers, calypsocod, razortooth, or leviathan. The fish are items you trade in for tokens in this system, not the reward themselves. These fish are non-aggressive, non-hunted fish. They dont carry any type of loot. The big fish come out only during event times, giving players an opportunity to get the equivalent of a "global" during these times, if theyre lucky enough to be one of the winners who caught the right type of fish.

Whats the point of a L rod vs an unl rod then? The time it takes to break, most likely. An L rod might last for the duration of a contest and in skilled hands be rather productive. An unl rod might last an entire day of fishing, being equally productive in skilled hands, and thus be a treasure for those who have it, and again spurring hunting of mobs that drop it in effort to obtain the item.

Those who dont have an unl rod handy may still participate for a very low cost. Im envisioning this cost being about 1 PED.

I have wanted to fish ever since I saw the first lake. We have very nice looking water areas, its a shame there is no use for it...on a side note I keep an active world of warcraft account...just to log in and fish sometimes.

these ideas are very good (except for pvp fishermen o_O), I would like to see fishing skills, piggyback off sweating skills so there is an actual reason to have sweat gather skill..if only to bump your fishing skill.

reposting in another thread, doesnt belong on a good idea.

Last edited:
I like to hang about the shores watching sunsets and dawns, would be cool to do something sensible in process :cool:

pimps outside town walls
And this! A slightly modified mentor/disciples system would work perfect for the pimp/girls gangs :laugh:
Now, where did I put my Fur Coat (M)...

I think the setting needs some tweaking. It doesn't really make sense that a company would create a new species, and then set it free into the wild. They would just breed it in tanks.

It would make more sense to add something along the lines of "Yeah, we made an edible fish, but it is a nasty bugger, it already ate some of our scientists...oh...and... uh... it kind of escaped...so could you go out and catch it?"

So we're posting in Dev's Corner but no dev post yet...

We already can fish!
I go fishing but I use electricity on Leviathans instead of a rod, works great!

Some might want fishing ingame, but personally I don't care, seems as boring as crafting 5K clicks to me.

to add to it a bit... freebie activity to add to finding dung/rocks might be gathering worms, and other 'bait' for fishing... Might even be able to find 'bait' for other stuff like hunting as an ingredient in for the decoys... Make lower end activity for all as freebie type stuff... Pick up sticks in the forest that can be used for carving since wood carving is a skill in game... replace the no loots with this low end stuff, and then also add it as stuff that can be found just out and about like the stones are now, etc.

worms for bait

low level animals or dead animals in various locations like rabbits, etc. for the decoys

sticks and twigs for carving small wooden things

maybe even make that a part of the process... carve a stick that will do one point of damage that can be used to kill these rabbits and things... put a few sticks together to create a cage that can be used to trap.. set it out a day or two and come back to pick it up and it has caught something for you, would worlk similar to the mining claim system, etc. Do same for advanced fishing where you need to use a boat and set out the nets to catch the crabs and lobsters, etc. Maybe even on the advanced side, as you get more advanced you catch more advanced mobs... if the nets decay a lot, you get to catch rippers, if the cost increases a whole lot beyond that, maybe even other water mobs like sharks, etc.

Back