Changes to Attributes in Missions (what's known and what should be known)

Doer

Marauder
Society
Rangers
David "Doer" Falkayn
I think many users will be very happy to hear that MindArk is devising a change to the mission rewards system that will allow individual missions to award non-tradeable Attribute Tokens, which can be turned in to an NPC in exchange for attribute points.

This system would address two of the major concerns we have received in feedback from participants regarding the mission rewards rebalancing-

1. A larger number of mission creatures can continue to reward mission efforts in the form of increasing attributes.
  2. Participants will be able to choose the best time to redeem their attribute rewards, for example after having skilled up 'naturally' to a certain level.

We are finishing up the necessary adjustments to the mission rewards formulas and guidelines provided to planet partners to accommodate the new attribute token system and the awarding of fractional attributes. Once those adjustments are completed, planet partners will have the ability to provide everyone with an overview of the new rewards that will be implemented on Aug. 21, so that participants can make informed decisions as to which missions to complete over the summer.

At some point in the near future or recent past, the Calypso development team will receive the abovementioned guidelines from MA. While knowing that attribute gains will remain, in some form, as a reward for missions, is very good news, there are a couple things that would be good to know ASAP. Please answer these questions as the information becomes available so the Calypsonians can move forward with their skilling. While the rotation of mission mobs is a nice thought, it's somewhat pointless as a cookie for those who have waited to do missions because but we still don't have sufficient information to base our decision to go ahead and take rewards on.

• Will Attribute Tokens be general purpose (one Token that is redeemable for any attribute but stamina)?
  • Which mobs and/or kill levels will be reduced in attribute rewards?
  • Will any mobs and/or kill levels have increased attribute rewards?

I think that is the intent.. from the "sound" of his post it implies that you can redeem the token for an attribute at any NPC. Unless they have coding in place to only allow x token to be claimed for x reward and y token be claimed for y reward, I would think that you could use the tokens for any attribute that you wanted (except for stamina which would be rewarded automatically at the end of the chain).

~Danimal

It's not just about attributes - any changes to skill rewards (especially for the 10k missions) are also important and we should be told about those too.

I would think that you could use the tokens for any attribute that you wanted (except for stamina which would be rewarded automatically at the end of the chain).

That is kinda how I interpreted it, except I imagine they will set something like 10 tokens for 1 attribute so that missions requiring a lower kill count can give maybe 3 tokens while a higher kill count mission maybe gives 5 or more.

That is kinda how I interpreted it, except I imagine they will set something like 10 tokens for 1 attribute so that missions requiring a lower kill count can give maybe 3 tokens while a higher kill count mission maybe gives 5 or more.

No need for that.. just keep it a 1:1 ratio. If they start this and in another 5-10 years the whole staff changes over I could see this happening:

Kill 10k Proterons get 5 attribute Tokens.

NPC-20 Attribute Tokens for 1 Agility please :)

1:1 is easy, besides I belive their intent is also to remove the attributes from most of the mobs and replace them with just skill rewards spread out through the chain as can be seen with the new Leviathan mission. :)

~Danimal

It's not just about attributes - any changes to skill rewards (especially for the 10k missions) are also important and we should be told about those too.

Agreed but in this case I plan on finishing a mission chain entirely once I can determine if/which would impose the lowest attribute opportunity cost. It's those who do most of the mission chains before the changes that are SOL in regards to skills, because MA/FPC/? will be spreading them out over the whole chain. (That was already confirmed.)

This is specifically about attributes because the treatment and fate of the attribute rewards was more in doubt.

1:1 is easy

Yeah but it doesn't allow the same customization of rewards :) with this, they could have something like for example:
100 Argonaut - 1 Token
100 Neconu - 3 Tokens
500 Exarosaur - 3 Tokens
500 Neconu - 5 Tokens

Total of 12 Tokens, you can then "buy" 1 attibute and have 2 tokens left.

:dunno:

Yeah but it doesn't allow the same customization of rewards :) with this, they could have something like for example:
100 Argonaut - 1 Token
100 Neconu - 3 Tokens
500 Exarosaur - 3 Tokens
500 Neconu - 5 Tokens

Total of 12 Tokens, you can then "buy" 1 attibute and have 2 tokens left.

:dunno:

The whole idea of the attribute token was to give players the opportunity to claim their reward whenever they wanted. So the system that you listed only gives another system that is similar to the system that they are now wanting to change (because it is unbalanced) 1:1 ratio with x for x and y for y would work just fine.

By the way an Argonaut should give more than an Exarosaur in your example instead of the other way around ;)

~Danimal

The whole idea of the attribute token was to give players the opportunity to claim their reward whenever they wanted. So the system that you listed only gives another system that is similar to the system that they are now wanting to change (because it is unbalanced) 1:1 ratio with x for x and y for y would work just fine.

You would still be able to wait before claiming with the example I posted :)

By the way an Argonaut should give more than an Exarosaur in your example instead of the other way around ;)

It was just an example, but you do get more for 1 argonaut than for 1 exarosaur in it :silly2:

100 Argonaut = 1 token = 0.01 per kill
500 Exarosaur = 3 tokens = 0.006 per kill

I imagine the token costs for the various attributes will be normalised on the hp contribution. So you would have to pay 2 times more for strength compared to agility. I'm not sure how stamina will fit into this.

I imagine the token costs for the various attributes will be normalised on the hp contribution. So you would have to pay 2 times more for strength compared to agility. I'm not sure how stamina will fit into this.

Could be, yes. At the present, there's no reason to make stamina available through a token because there's no disadvantage in taking the increase immediately. One would therefore expect that to be the way it continues to work.

but we still don't have sufficient information to base our decision to go ahead and take rewards on.

• Will Attribute Tokens be general purpose (one Token that is redeemable for any attribute but stamina)?
  • Which mobs and/or kill levels will be reduced in attribute rewards?
  • Will any mobs and/or kill levels have increased attribute rewards?

And is there a cap at 100 for normally skilled?

Also I know many are hesitant to complete missions that reward attributes because they want to get their attributes high before earning any through missions. This can actually prevent new players from reaching higher attribute levels because they gained a lot of points from missions while their attributes where still easy to obtain through normal activity.

And is there a cap at 100 for normally skilled?

It's hard to say if the attributes differ from the skills in the way they progress, but from what I hear, the difficulty of moving an attribute that is over 100 is much harder than one would expect if the two share the same algorithm, considering that at 80 regular progression occurs. (The difference between progressing at 8k and 10k in a skill is about 2X.)

Before missions came, I'm pretty sure no one made it to 100 in any attribute starting post nerf (maybe if they were 99+ at the time of the nerf). Highest post nerf attribute I saw was agility in the 90-95 range from a few of the most active hunters.

The second temporary iron mission mob spawn rotation is going to end soon. Any news?

And another mission mob rotation without more information about the upcoming changes. Is the holdup MA's guidelines or the calypso team deciding on how to implement it?

Once those adjustments are completed, planet partners will have the ability to provide everyone with an overview of the new rewards that will be implemented on Aug. 21, so that participants can make informed decisions as to which missions to complete over the summer.
It's about time to see those overviews indeed.

As long as we have no more info we can only speculate how exactly it will be. This part here:
the new attribute token system and the awarding of fractional attributes.
suggests that 1:1 ratio is off the table, it has to be more like Nighthawk imagines it - different mobs give different amount of tokens.

Once we get the overviews we can see how exactly is the amount calculated:
  • on mob HP and damage level?
  • based mob HP only?
  • danger level (those Lxxx markings that right now are quite messed up on some planets) ?

We also need to know what's the "price" of different attributes, is it based on their contribution to the HP or something else?

Hurry up guys, give us some info!

It's been almost a month. Could we please have a comment on the progress or something?

I think they should just leave all missions as is and not nerf them. and set the NEW STANDARD for all new missions coming in the future. This would be the fairest way and most logical way to deal with the whole situation?

Kim, Charlie any thoughts?

I think they should just leave all missions as is and not nerf them. and set the NEW STANDARD for all new missions coming in the future. This would be the fairest way and most logical way to deal with the whole situation?

Kim, Charlie any thoughts?

Unfortunately it would not be fair to new planets, as Calypso has the preponderance of old missions. I did a poll which revealed that the majority are in favour of many of the changes per se, just we don't want to be screwed over by the process of change.

My draft petiion here, needs re-working, in the light of MA's response (quoted at the top of this thread) They did, in fact, address some of the concerns raised. But , when i thought about it, their accomodations were largely of benefit to new players who hadn't yet started the missions (preventing similar problems occuring in future) and did little to help old players who are partway through missions. This is also unfair! It is those who've already made a big investment in missions who really need and deserve consideration at this stage!

Well , it seems that plenty of people agree with me there, so I'll get down to working on the redraft

jay :)

Last edited:
In need of a bump, this.

We are finishing up the necessary adjustments to the mission rewards formulas and guidelines provided to planet partners to accommodate the new attribute token system and the awarding of fractional attributes. Once those adjustments are completed, planet partners will have the ability to provide everyone with an overview of the new rewards that will be implemented on Aug. 21, so that participants can make informed decisions as to which missions to complete over the summer.
Over a month ago we heard this from you now, Mindark. How is it going?

Back