There is NO safe renting system ingame

whiteknut

Elite
Society
Vikings of Calypso
Snablesnot Male Young
Hiya
today saw one guy in twin peaks advertising possibility to rent yourself appartment. The price was very hefty (about 40% of market value per week)
After asking bit about thats what i learned:
X Some group of players have bought up big part of apartments (this specific one had 15 in inventory).
X They are renting them out (200ped per week for one i asked about)
X They are the ones holding the deeds (some trick involved and has something to do with banking license)
X If you need to place items in it you need to use their avatar for it (they are working on automated bot to do it (we all know what happened to hunting bots)
X if you dont pay rent they will lock you out, but wont sell your stuff.

So why i made this thread? Because renting is not possible ingame, and this kind of system can be easily abused, lets say i rent apartment and store my 50k ped weapon in it - holder of deed can pick it up and it is all OK by the rules (as all trades are final)

And also the automated bot idea sounded like breach of EULA.

what do you think? am i overreacting and renting out apartments like this should be ok atm? (i know i wont pay someone for the guest privileges in their apartment, as i wont be able to pick stuff up there)

Reactions: SHY
what do you think? am i overreacting and renting out apartments like this should be ok atm? (i know i wont pay someone for the guest privileges in their apartment, as i wont be able to pick stuff up there)

I would report it to MA (with the name) so they could investigate. It sounds fishy.

Also 200 ped/week or month for an apartments sounds a bit hefty.

I would keep in mind there are at least two currently Active threads about suspicious activity here on the forum (one about multiple accounts and one about someone said to be a scammer and that isn't locked).

Logging in through their guest avatar most likely isn't allowed, and you can probably guess what might happen if that avatar is "dirty" and you log in with it.

On one hand, maybe what you pay the rent for is to be able to "rent" an alt avatar.... on the other hand, you have no idea if the "guest avatar" is for your exclusive use, or if it's created to manage several apartments (if it is, you have no idea who besides you could pick up items in the rented apartment with it).

Last edited:
Why rent apartment the are like 600 ped total

Hiya
today saw one guy in twin peaks advertising possibility to rent yourself appartment. The price was very hefty (about 40% of market value per week)
X Some group of players have bought up big part of apartments (this specific one had 15 in inventory).
X They are the ones holding the deeds (some trick involved and has something to do with banking license)
X If you need to place items in it you need to use their avatar for it (they are working on automated bot to do it (we all know what happened to hunting bots)
X if you dont pay rent they will lock you out, but wont sell your stuff.

So why i made this thread? Because renting is not possible ingame, and this kind of system can be easily abused, lets say i rent apartment and store my 50k ped weapon in it - holder of deed can pick it up and it is all OK by the rules (as all trades are final)

And also the automated bot idea sounded like breach of EULA.

I actually agree with you this time. :D

Not only does it sound fishy, but the sheer fact that the price is so outrageous and the risk itself so obvious, I would LOVE to see what this guy/s starts saying to unsuspecting new players in PM. I have a feeling that there is a lot being said to inexperienced players that we don't know yet.

Someone on Caly want to do some investigating? Act like a prospective fish, and screenie what this guy tells you....

Possible scam in play.

Possible scam in play.

The guy had 15 estates on hand... so it could be it really is REAL service, but they havent thought it through..

I would hate to be the guy who has apartment on rent from them while MA locks them for having bot for doing business.

I know who that player is... He is full of crap and is telling a shitload of fake stories acting how succesfull he is. DONT GET INVOLVED WITH THIS PERSON!!
He is on my blacklist.

Last edited:
Not something I would even consider as safe. In EU, nobody is safe enough to lend any item without substantial collateral.

If it sounds too good to be true, most likely it is. Plus, that's one hefty rental fee!! :eyecrazy:

Sounds and smells fishy to me.

Only way to rent I know of is provide collateral and pay per week or month you use it when you return the rented item/deed you get your collateral back. Should you as a renter find that the person ran off with your item or deed or they sold it etc, at least you can sell the collateral for your money back.

I do know they can use alts to manage apartments without holding the deeds themselves but that breaks the alternate avatar rule and one more issue is what is protecting the owner of that alt avatar from just robbing you blind while you sleep one night or change the alts access password locking you and all your placed items from you ever getting them back.

I would not trust such a system.

Last edited:
1. trade collatoral for deed
2. claim appt
3. trade deed back for collatoral
4. use appt untill owner with deed reclaims?

This is so shady from the start that I will laugh if people get scammed by this. Come on guys.... just pay the 500-600ped and get an apartment yourself.

(...)

Paying someone for the privilege of giving them stuff to place on their estate? :scratch2:

There should be an EU equivalent of Darwin award for people who accept such offers.

Not something I would even consider as safe. In EU, nobody is safe enough to lend any item without substantial collateral.

If it sounds too good to be true, most likely it is. Plus, that's one hefty rental fee!! :eyecrazy:

I agree with you on that about substantial collateral. Apartments and estates are are a seperate issue but renting is safe for items provided the collateral is adequate

1. trade collatoral for deed
2. claim appt
3. trade deed back for collatoral
4. use appt untill owner with deed reclaims?

What is stopping the person with the deed from reclaiming the apartment with all placed items once you place stuff in it? One needs to maintain the deed to protect your own ass from getting robbed and make sure you pick everything up before trading the deed back.

rofl entire appartman is 500 ped.

Sounds like the same guy I chatted up a few days ago. He was making some pretty wild claims. I decided to see if he'd put his money where his mouth was. He talked in circles and wouldn't commit to anything until he finally claimed that his chat was too busy. I don't think he's legit.

-Mick

Paying someone for the privilege of giving them stuff to place on their estate? :scratch2:

There should be an EU equivalent of Darwin award for people who accept such offers.

Exactly.

And with 200 PED rent fee per week he doesn't even need to actively scam them.

He just needs to collect rent
(probably after 1 week he can give the victim a major discount in other to trick him to put several weeks of rent worth of stuff inside the appartment and if the bait works sell the deed to another avatar and claim it was a mistake and then that avatar clean the appartement)

Maybe not scam attempt, but creator of this idea has very little knowledge about how this game works and EULA rules. I suspect some quite newbie entrpreneur who suuceed something like this in other MMO ( I see similarities ) and just trying launch that full scale in RCE

I am predicting that after failing with such rent service he just will be left with bunch of estate deeds way overpriced in comparison to current market value. It is possible also that due to his lowe knowledge about EU market all estate deeds he obtained werer aquire at not too good prices in order to start that service quickly.

Scamers usualy aim for fast cash from naive ppl. As we may expect here few naive customers cash gathered that way is neither fast or easy. If this is a scam it is realy dumb or masochist scamer.

Back