Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    Detritus the Troll
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pechunter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting to c if the rest of the planets gets left out as per usual
    Quote Originally Posted by Joat View Post
    We use same engine in the entire universe so they will also gain from the update.

Not if they don't upgrade their lighting, materials, and textures to fit with a PBR rendering system. It's not a magic button that you just press and everything looks better.

Quote Originally Posted by Detritus View Post
    Not if they don't upgrade their lighting, materials, and textures to fit with a PBR rendering system. It's not a magic button that you just press and everything looks better.
    How can a planetpartner get left out when it comes to a engine update?
    It isn't MA that creates all objects, textures, shaders, animations, rigs and so on in a PP area.

Xendar Xen Xal
    Society
    Payn-Inc
    Images
    PBR rendering system
    I hope it's better than their beer.
    Xen Shop ☯ Easter, Halloween, Summer, Robot Strongboxes | Imperial HAZEN Gloves (M) | Dune Rider Helmet (M) | Dune Rider Arm Guards (M) | Dune Rider Foot Guards (M) | Merry Mayhem 14 Gloves (M)

Detritus the Troll
    Images
    How can a planetpartner get left out when it comes to a engine update?
    It isn't MA that creates all objects, textures, shaders, animations, rigs and so on in a PP area.

No, the PP create their own assets.

Obviously they can use common shared assets, but anything planet-specific is created by that team.

Quote Originally Posted by Xen View Post
    I hope it's better than their beer.
    You don't like fizzy water with some beer flavoring and less ABV than mouthwash?
    Last edited by Detritus; 11-25-2019 at 16:05.

Gender | Ingame
    Female | Female
    New York Rose
    Society
    Shaolin
    Images
    Sounds exciting and I hope it all goes smoothly. Looks very exciting and I really love the crisper colors and textures to be had .

Sandal San Tolk
    Society
    OldTimers
    Images
    Don't people begin to see a pattern here since the new leadership took office. There is a problem or wish, and we get a much bigger solution than we bargained for as it turned out unfixable or unreasonable as a mere patch on the old horse, and then some for the sake of forward-looking scalability. The darnded hitbox problem was bugging us, we got a whole new camera and control system. Mission point sharing and a bestiary book turned into Codex, but the old missions had to be sacrificed. Now we have complaints about textures not displaying correctly since a long time, especially reflective surfaces. And this is the solution (hopefully). I find all this really positive, even if we disagree in details or get taken aback by some changes, the basic idea is the right one. I also regret having to say good-bye to trusted platforms, but the effort to retain as many as possible is there. All the best for a painless transition.
    1. I NEVER post off-topic.
    2. If you disagree, go to 1.

No, the PP create their own assets.

Obviously they can use common shared assets, but anything planet-specific is created by that team.
    Exactly, as I mentioned. Yes, some assets should be reused instead of developed again, no point
    in reinvent the wheel.
    So once again, PPs will gain from this update, and engine is the same for the entire universe.
    It's up to each PP to use this the right way.

One area that could and should gain a lot from dx11 is Space. A lot of big lowpoly objects
    that can be way better looking and smoother there if TSC is used right.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Prophet the Prophet from Planet Zen
    Society
    Calypso Rescue Team
    Images
    Exactly, as I mentioned. Yes, some assets should be reused instead of developed again, no point in reinvent the wheel.
    there is no wheel.

Free from desire, you realize the mystery. Caught in desire, you see only the manifestations. Yet mystery and manifestations
    arise from the same source. This source is called darkness. Darkness within darkness. The gateway to all understanding. 道德經 老子
    Eyes closed -.-

Detritus the Troll
    Images
    Exactly, as I mentioned. Yes, some assets should be reused instead of developed again, no point
    in reinvent the wheel.
    So once again, PPs will gain from this update, and engine is the same for the entire universe.
    It's up to each PP to use this the right way.

One area that could and should gain a lot from dx11 is Space. A lot of big lowpoly objects
    that can be way better looking and smoother there if TSC is used right.

When I say common assets I'm talking about universal things like weapons and items.

Celeste Quarry, for example, isn't magically going to look any better (it may look better, it may look worse) if the Ark team hasn't updated the lighting, textures, and materials to fit the new system. The good news is there will be much greater potential there and hopefully the PP teams will start taking advantage of it.

As I said, I remain doubtful that the Caly team has done much of this either, except maybe a few cherry picked locations or items. My bet is they just ran an automated conversion, which is bound to give mixed results.

Remember that this is the same team that introduced an entire new line of weapons - ArMatrix - that were central to their huge unveiling of their new core loot system and could not be bothered to make any new models or textures for them. Models aside, it would have taken a texture artist one or two days max to just repaint the textures to at least look different. Hell, even if they didn't have anyone in house to do this, you can buy a large pack of sci-fi weapon assets for like $20. They did none of this and instead we got the Isis and viking swords relabeled. Sorry, but I consider that a truly impressive level of laziness. Hence my pessimism - but hopefully I'm wrong.

When I say common assets I'm talking about universal things like weapons and items.

Celeste Quarry, for example, isn't magically going to look any better (it may look better, it may look worse) if the Ark team hasn't updated the lighting, textures, and materials to fit the new system. The good news is there will be much greater potential there and hopefully the PP teams will start taking advantage of it.

As I said, I remain doubtful that the Caly team has done much of this either, except maybe a few cherry picked locations or items. My bet is they just ran an automated conversion, which is bound to give mixed results.

Remember that this is the same team that introduced an entire new line of weapons - ArMatrix - that were central to their huge unveiling of their new core loot system and could not be bothered to make any new models or textures for them. Models aside, it would have taken a texture artist one or two days max to just repaint the textures to at least look different. Hell, even if they didn't have anyone in house to do this, you can buy a large pack of sci-fi weapon assets for like $20. They did none of this and instead we got the Isis and viking swords relabeled. Sorry, but I consider that a truly impressive level of laziness. Hence my pessimism - but hopefully I'm wrong.
    Yeah, it gets realy boring when they reuse objects, even worse when they have same textures.
    Seems like they try to slim down on a lot things like less amount of P.O.Is, no new objects, less
    amount of mobs in spawns, more generic missions and so on.

Downside of using external artists can be that some objects get a different order in XYZ and
    also in pivot/center point, this have been notable in info UI since some objects have been way
    off when shown. This can easily be fixed if object is checked by a template so everything
    follow same settings and values before release.

It's easy to blame the staff but too often it's due to managements decisions that not more time
    is spent on the development of things. I doubt artists have much to say about what to change,
    update or upgrade for final product, they might be able to create all concepts though.
    Hopefully I'm wrong here, and the artists do have a lot to say about it.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast