Mob names: Origins

DevAng

Alpha
Society
Freelancer to the end ;)
Sinful DevAng Angel
Hi there :)

The objective of this post is to figure out how MA invented the various mob names. I believe that practically all names have some kind of meaning and some kind of word that they derived from. It usually has a lot to do with the aspect of the mob.

I'm from Portugal, and as some of you may know portuguese comes from latin. I have found that many of the mobs names are very similar to portuguese words, so MA's staff probably started many names from latin words. Some maybe even from ancient greek or something like that, don't really know. In many cases they might just have changed the spelling a bit to sound better. In this thread , when I compare the names to portuguese words I'm thinking that they all derive from that word in latin.

These are some of the names that I can remember that make some sense to me; please post any if you know any similar words from other languages.

Atrox - One of the most popular mobs in Calypso. In portuguese we have the word "Atroz" that sounds practically like Atrox. Basicly it translates to "atrocious" (bad , terrible, cruel, horrible, mean, etc). I would say it's a pretty suitable name for an Atrox.

Araneatrox - The "Aranea" part I think it's a bit comon throughout the world as being knowned as stuff related to spiders or arachnids. In portuguese spider is "aranha" (doesn't even sound that much diferent). The atrox part is described above. I guess it's pretty obvious that an araneatrox is a mean spider :)

Atrax - means dark, black, gloomy in latin

Aurli - Closest I could find was "auris" witch means "ear" in latin. Maybe a reference that aurlis have big ears? (see Prince Charles lol)

Argonauts - These were named after the sailors from the "Argo" ship in the story of "Jason and the Argonauts". The meanings in greek are: "Argos" is "free from labour, at leisure ; lazy, shunning the labour which one ought to perform" and "Nautes" is "a sailor, seaman, mariner".

Armax Bull/Cow - The part about cow and bull is of no use explaining I guess. The "armax" part means arms, weapons (in portuguese "armas"). So it would make some sense to call them "armed cows/bulls".

Aetherex - From the latin , means heaven, heavenly, celestial.

Allophyl - A bit surprising this one. From the greek "Allos" means "another, other, otherwise". "Philos" is "a friend , a companion". So it's just another friend? lol. (see estophyl)

Ambulimax - "Ambulo" means "to walk" in latin. "max" is used in many way to MAXimize an efect. So it's a mob that wals a lot.

Berycled - This one is though, couldn't find anything that quite fit in. The closest I got was in latin, "beryllus" witch is a beryl (a precious stone) and "clepo" witch means "to steal; to conceal oneself". This would mean that they steal precious stones? Doesn't look right though.

Biffoid - 'biff' which means 'To strike or punch'. No need for more explaining lol

Bristlehog - A bristle is something like a stiff spike or hair. A hog is a pig. So it's a spiked/hairy pig.

Caperon - The closest I found was "capillus" witch means "hair". Perhaps due to it's long and thin legs. Not sure though.

Cersumon - Kinda hard one. Similar words found were: "cernuus = faling headlong" and "summa = the highest part / whole, sum". Not sure if it has anything to do with it.

Chomper - Someone who chomps. To chomp is to chew or bite on noisily, to chew or bite on something repeatedly.

Combibo - In latin means to drink up, suck in. Perhaps it's related to the "suck in" part since that long neck just looks like a vacuum cleaner lol. It's Calypso nickname is actually "the sucker".

Cornundos - "Cornu" is a very comon prefix to mobs names in Calypso. "Corno" comes from the latin and means nothing more than "horn". When you look at a cornundo I'm sure you won't have to think twice about that. Also , in portuguese we call "cornudo" at something that has horns.

Cornoanterion - The "Corno" means "horn" in latin. "anterion" is also latin which means something that is in front of , that comes before. Cornoanterion is a mob with a lot of twisted horns on it's head, so it has many horns in front of him lol.

Cornundacauda - Cornu in latin means "horn". When in female gender , in portuguese we say that something with horns is "cornuda", so "cornunda" is probably an adaptation like that as in something with horns. The "cauda" part is also very easy, it's latin: it's simply "tail". Since Cornundacaudas have a big horn and a huge tail that kinda takes care of it.

Caudatergus - Caudatergus - The "Cauda" part is latin, it means "tail". This mob has a big curly tail so it's obvious. The "tergus" part relates to "the back, skin, hide, leather". So it's a direct translation of the nickname given by MA: Tailback.

Calamusoid - "calamus" means anything made of reed ; pen, arrow, pipe, etc. They are green skinny little fellows that could be very well be made out of reeds.

Chirpy - From the english to chirp: the joyfull singing of a bird

Daikiba - "kiba" means tusk or fang in japanese, which are the weapons of that mob and the most obvious feature on them. "Dai" has a lot of meanings , probably it's the one about "stand, rack, table, support"; might also mean "big" although I'm not sure about that one. Because it has big tusk standing out from it's jaws (or are suported by it's jaws).

Daspletor - "Daspletos" in greek means "frightful".

Diripi - From the latin "diripio": to separate, tear apart / pillage, devastate, lay waste; to tear in pieces, lay waste, devastate, plunder.

Eomon - Also not sure about this on. From the latin "eo" depends on the context, it can mean something like "to go; to pass, proceed; go to; to be changed to". There's also "Eos" witch is "belonging to the morning, or eastern". Then for "mons" we have a mountain, a mass or a great rock. This could lead to many meanings, it would help to know it's description (witch I don't); it could mean something like "eastern rock/mountain" or as in something that was changed/became like a rock. the eomon is a huge mob that does resemble a rock or mountain, so it's probably something along these lines.

Equus - It's a direct translation from the latin, meaning "horse". Since this mob is nothing but a funny looking horse this one is pretty straight forward.

Estophyl - "esto" is the third persons singular imperative of "to be" in greek. "phyl" comes from the greek "philos" meaning "a friend , a companion". So estophyl is actually a friend of ours; and the allophyl (see above) is another friend. One big happy family :) lol

Exarosaur - The "saur" is the suffix that you see in almost all dinosaurs's names; it means "lizzard". The "Exaro" means "to plow (the land)". Well, I would say that a "plowing lizzard" woudl be a very accurate description of an exarosaur. It's nickname in Calypso is even "plow-cow".

Falxangius - "falx" is a scythe in latin. The "angius" part I'm not sure but may be regarding "angulus" witch is a corner or niche (that were the word "angle" derives from).

Faucervix - In latin "faux" means "gullet, throat, jaws" and "cervix" stands for "the nape of the neck , the neck". So basicly this mob is named after it's big neck and jaws, it says so in it's description.

Feffoid - The closest I found was "fefello": to be failed by, disappointed by something. Don't know if that really relates here.

Formicacida - In portuguese "formiga" is an ant. "Formica" means "ant" in latin. The last part is probably from "acidus": sharp , sour.They really look like ants.

Formidon - Lots of similar words for this one. But they all sound the same. "formidilose = dreadfully, teribly" , "formidilosus = causing dread, fear, terror" , "formido = dread, terror / dreadfulness / scarecrow ; to be terrified, frightened, afraid". Enough said ... it's a very scary mob.

Foul - It's an adjective in english meaning offensive. It's scientific name is the Malumenoid, which roughly translated mean. He doesn't look very friendly at all ingame now does he?

Fugabarba - This one is a funny one lol. It's made of exactly 2 portuguese words (coming from latin), I dont' really know if it's suposed to be about that , but it sure is funny. "fuga" means "escape", or something like running away , and "barba" is "beard". lol , so we have a mob with a big beard that runs away a lot. That kinda fits to a fugabarba :)

Fungoid - "fungus" in latin means mushroom or fungus. This one just simply looks like some kind of mushroom (a mushroom is actually a fungus).

Gradivore - "gradi" means "to conduct one's self, walk, live" in latin. "voro" is "to eat greedily, swallow up, consume". So he lives to eat? Not really sure about this one though. Another possible interpretation is from Gradivus witch is a surname of Mars (roman god of war).

Globster - In latin "globo" is to form into a ball or mass. Some variations like "globosus" or "globus" mean spherical, a ball , globe, sphere. Looking at the globster we can easily see that it's little diferent from a spherical mass.

Gokibusagi - This one comes from japanese. "Gokiburi" is a cockroach and a "usagi" is a bunny. We have a mob that jumps around like a bunny but looks like a cockroach.

Hiryu - Means Flying Dragon in japanese.

Hispidus - Comes from the latin "hispidus": rough, shaggy, hairy, bristly, prickly.

Ignis - Means "fire" in latin.

Itumatrox - The "ituma" part means "to go, advance, proceed, travel, move along, progress". The "atrox" part is "bad, terrible, cruel, horrible, mean". It's something that moves around and it's cruel/bad.

Kreltin - The closest I could find was from the greek "Kreitton" meaning "more useful, more serviceable, more advantageous; more excelent; to pay, to recompense; to pay penalty, suffer punishment ". Many possible interpretations, not sure if anyone of them is right.

Longu - "Longus" in latin means "long". It's probably due to it's long nose.

Mermoth - Probably a mix between "mermaid" and "mamoth". A mermaid as in an aquatic/amphibious creature and mamoth as in big, not very agile and ugly.

Mourner - Plain english , he who mourns. To mourn is to cry over somebody lost. Related to the sound that the mob does.

Molisk - From the greek "Molis": with difficulty, hardly, not easily. Although small, they hard very though to kill and they look hard.

Morsusilex - From the latin "morsus" is a biting, bite, sting, pain. "silex" is a hard rock , a flint. So it's a rock that bites.

Neconu - In latin "Neco" means to kill, slay, put to death. Extremelly apropriate.

Nexnecis - From the latin "nex necis" witch means "death, usually violent death , murder". Once again MA goes for the "violent" kind of names.

Oculus - "oculos" in latin means "eye". When you look at a picture of this mob, it looks nothing but a huge eye.

Osseocollum - "osseus" means "bony" in latin, as in something related to bones. "collum" or "collus" means neck. So this guy is just a bony neck or has a lot of bones in it's neck.

Phasm - Comes from "phasma" witch is a ghost or a specter in latin.

Plumatergus - "pluma" in latin) is a feather. The "tergus" part is "skin, hide, leather". Plumatergus look awfully like birds so we have a mob who's skin or leather looks like a bird's feathers.

Prancer - If I'm not mistaken in english this means something like a "playfull horse" or just a funny way of moving around. This can also fit the description for the mob prancer.

Pupugi - To prick, puncture, stab /touch, move. To penetrate /sting, annoy, harrass. I guess now everybody understands that it was their only purpose ingame lol

Repesilex - The "silex" part means hard rock or something like that in latin. "repere" means to crawl. So it's a crawling rock.

Ripper Snapper- in English there is the snapper fish. I guess in Calypso he is also a Ripper lol

Sabakuma - "bakuma" is japanese for "desert". "sa" is also japanese for "demon". Like it says on it's description, it's a "desert demon".

Scaboreas - In latin "scaber" means scabby , rough. "boreas" referes to "the north , the north wind". It's consistent with the mob's description that says he is labelled as "The dirtbag of the north".

Snablesnot - Snabel is "trunk" in swedish , the "snot" is pretty obvious lol. A trunk that throws out snot :p Pretty simple.

Snarksnot - "snarka" means snore in swedish. Snot is just snot like in snablesnot since they are related to them. It's description referes to their "rasping call".

Trilomite - This is a derivation from "trilobite", an animal that already existed thousands of years ago. You may have already seen a lot of it's fossils.

Tantillion - Probably from the word "tantillus" that means "so little, so small". Not sure.

Tantardion - This one is a long shot but "tardus" means "slow, late, tardy". Looking at Tantillion, this one could mean "so slow, so tardy" (witch that mob IS very slow). Not sure.

Tripudion - This one is very logical. "tripudio" means to leap, jump in latin.

Turp - Found 2 similar words in latin: "turpe" a disgrace. "turpis" foul, ugly, disgraceful, morally corrupt. Both have similar meanings and may very be a description of the mob's character since it's always running again (very disgracefull behavior).

Umbranoid - Humanoid is used to describe beings with similar built/anatomy to humans , but these are something like shadows/ghosts of the humans they once were. "umbra" means "shade, shadow, ghost, semblance" in latin.

Many mobs have in the middle of their full name (shown in their description) the word "xeno"
xeno - From greek meaning "a stranger, strange, without the knowledge of, new, unheard of". So I guess it's just a fancy way to make them more original and diferent.

These were some of the ones I noticed right away some meaning in the words. Somebody else with a better language knowledge might find some more or even correct some of mine. Please let me know if you find something

P.S. - For mob pictures use http://pe-wiki.info/Chart.aspx?chart=Mob

P.P.S. - This post has been updated (and will continue to be) with some precious sugestions of other users and further research from myself. Thank you all.

Enjoy

Last edited:
Wow dude! Simply awesome (=
Though in some cases i think MA just took stuff that sounded sweet.
For example Formicacida.

Formic Acid + the letter A.

An alternate method...

Roll the official "MA Mob Name Syllable Dice(TM)"
Form a word from the results
Begin modeling new mob based on resultant word
Assign attributes as necessary based on appearance, game balance, and maximum MA cash accrual.

AG

Mrbajen said:
Wow dude! Simply awesome (=
Though in some cases i think MA just took stuff that sounded sweet.
For example Formicacida.

Formic Acid + the letter A.

That's nice research too but if you look at it you even helped my point ;)

Formic Acid: In nature, it is found in the stings and bites of many insects of the order Hymenoptera, including bees and ants.
Its name comes from the Latin word for ant, formica

There they are , ants. So I guess "Formica" really stands for ant.

Didn't really knew about that formic acid though. Good research ;)

Atrax-- Atrax Robustus or something like that, one of the most dangerous spiders, lives in Australia only.

nice post. I bet a lot of work went into that. +rep
:)

Nebu said:
Atrax-- Atrax Robustus or something like that, one of the most dangerous spiders, lives in Australia only.

Ok, I had just thought since they were so similar (both mobs and names) that atrax was just a variation of atrox. Since you posted that it seams that it's actually a word.

After a little research:

Atrax - dark, black, gloomy

:)

DevAng said:
Snablesnot/Snarksnot - The snable/snak part I don't really know , but the "snot" is pretty obvious lol.

This could be swedish, the swedish word "snabel" means "trunk".

Hiryu = Dragon in japanese. I think daikiba and sabakuma are japanese names too, but I don't know what they mean.

Btw, does Morsusilex mean anything in portugese? Like "rock with legs" or something? :)

Darkaner said:
This could be swedish, the swedish word "snabel" means "trunk".

Hiryu = Dragon in japanese. I think daikiba and sabakuma are japanese names too, but I don't know what they mean.

Btw, does Morsusilex mean anything in portugese? Like "rock with legs" or something? :)

hmmm, that "trunk" thing might be it ;)

Thanks for the "hiryu". There are a few more that look oriental; gokibusagy for example , and a few more. I just don't know japanese or anything like that :rolleyes:

Morsusilex don't have a clue on it's meaning lol. wait... I thin silex is actually a kind of rock. The kind that you should use to make fire :confused: not sure though

I figured it out with some googling. :)

It's french. Morsure = bite, silex = flint (as you said).

Morsusilex = flint that bites :laugh:

yeah Usagi is japanese for rabbit.

Someone once told me that Gokibusagi is Japanese for something like
"cockroach-rabbit"

I dunno if it's true, but fits the little Ba***rds pretty well :)

Darkaner said:
I figured it out with some googling. :)

It's french. Morsure = bite, silex = flint (as you said).

Morsusilex = flint that bites :laugh:

We were both right then ;)

Morsu - a biting, bite, also, sting, pain
Silex - hard stone, sharp, rock, flint

This is in latin too. Although we don't have the "morsu" word in portuguese ;)

It's a bad-ass stone that bites LOL

Dale , I would like to search for that one too, but I'm having problems finding a japanese translator (without those japanese characters)

DevAng, excellent post! +rep

At first it just seemed coincidental, but the list just kept on going, and going... Clearly, someone at MA remembers their Latin!

To me, it's just these kind of details that make MA look like more than just an online gambling outfit -- it really seems to me they're trying hard to make a solid, viable world here, one that's fun to play in and rewarding for us, as well as profitable for them.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

gokibusagy goes kinda like this:

usagy - rabbit

goki - tone, manner of speaking

A Gokibusagi is a mob that talks like a bunny? LOL If it were "walks" like a bunny it would be perfect. Any japanese ppl can enlighten us?

armax - arms, weapons, armaments

This one was very silly of me actually. "arma" is actually a portuguese word for weapon. It was close though.

I found another one.

Daspletor -> Daspletos in greek means "frightful".

Darkaner said:
I found another one.

Daspletor -> Daspletos in greek means "frightful".

uhhhh, nice one :)

aetherex - aetherius, heaven, heavenly, celestial

CorwinBS said:
DevAng, excellent post! +rep

At first it just seemed coincidental, but the list just kept on going, and going... Clearly, someone at MA remembers their Latin!

To me, it's just these kind of details that make MA look like more than just an online gambling outfit -- it really seems to me they're trying hard to make a solid, viable world here, one that's fun to play in and rewarding for us, as well as profitable for them.
or possibly they just went on an online translator just to make it quicker to rake in the cash (j/k)

nice thread btw +R

true or not its very interesting

Yet some more research:

Calamusoid - "calamus" means anything made of reed ; pen, arrow, pipe, etc. They are green skinny little fellows that could be very well be made out of reeds.

Chirpy - From the english to chirp: the joyfull singing of a bird

Combibo - In latin means to drink up, suck in. Perhaps it's related to the "suck in" part since that long neck just looks like a vacuum cleaner lol

Gradivore - "gradi" means to conduct one's self, walk, live. Don't know about the "vore" part

Ignis - Means "fire".

Neconu - "Neco" means to kill, slay, put to death. Extremelly apropriate ;)

Pupugi - To prick, puncture, stab /touch, move. To penetrate /sting, annoy, harrass. I guess now everybody understands that it was their only purpose ingame lol

Repesilex - The "silex" part already said: hard rock or something like that. "repere" means to crawl. So it's a crawling rock.

Sabakuma - "kuma" is japanese for "bear". "saba" is also japanese for mackerel (I don't quite know what a mackerel is; translating it to portuguese I get the name of a fish). I don't quite see what bears and fishes have to do with sabakumas though.

Trilomite - This "mob" already existed thousands of years ago. You may have already seen a lot of it's fossils.

Tantillion - Probably from the word "tantillus" that means "so little, so small".

Tantardion - This one is a long shot but "tardus" means "slow, late, tardy". Looking at Tantillion, this one could mean "so slow, so tardy" (witch that mob IS very slow).

Tripudion - This one is very logical. "tripudio" means to leap, jump.

Umbranoid - Humanoid is used to describe beings with similar built/anatomy to humans , but these are something like shadows of the humans they once were. "umbra" means "shade, shadow".

A mackerel is a sea fish, lovely smoked with some pasta :silly2:

Anyway, nice topic +rep!

Argonaut - Clearly the leftovers from Jason's trip to the Golden Fleece :D

Now I'm confused.. I remember the old nutcase on TV called 'Barbapappa'.. probably most swedes in here do.. lol

But when you say Barba means beard on Portugese, that makes me wonder! Why did they name the character on TV Barbapappa ?.. he doesn't even have a beard! :confused:

I venture Mermoths might be a play on both Mammoth and Mermaid, as they are aquatic-looking things.

Ambulimax are named after slugs in some way I seem to remember.... slugs on legs being all they are....

Hurrikane said:
Ambulimax are named after slugs in some way I seem to remember.... slugs on legs being all they are....

You don't remember witch language that was or anything?

Miller said:
A mackerel is a sea fish, lovely smoked with some pasta :silly2:

Anyway, nice topic +rep!

Argonaut - Clearly the leftovers from Jason's trip to the Golden Fleece :D
ooh thats all you can catch in Cornwall i swear.

also the argonauts was the first clue for me for the mediteranian origins.
just look at teh majority of hte place names, Ithica, Zues, Atlas,

:thumbup: Very interesting. +rep
I already have thinking about that, since im portuguese too. I never made such a big deal of it, but u have a point on the mob names.
Also when we look at the city names, ancient greek and roman come in my mind so the names of the animals probaly come from some adaptaded latim.

Makes me wonder about the ores / enmatters and some of the items like wepons and armors but in those last 2 I think not much have done.

Anyway very good research.
;)

Very nice research!

In addition:
I've read "twenty thousands leagues under the sea" by Jules Verne and this mentioned, among other fishies, argonauts and molisks. Anyone know what kind of fish these two are, because I can't find it ...

About the exarosaur: when you scan it you get this info about it:
Exarosaur info said:
Exarosaur is a shorter name for Exaroxenosaur, but this animal is also known by the nickname 'Plow-Cow' because of the way it feeds. It uses its large tusks to scoop together chuncks of low vegetation such as grass and roots
So I think you're right, with one addition: xeno = strange / something you don't know.

:smash: :thumbup: :smash:

The name of the fossil is Trilobite - MA obviously switched one of the letters to get Trilomite ;)

Great job! :thumbup:

Ardorj said:
Very nice research!

In addition:
I've read "twenty thousands leagues under the sea" by Jules Verne and this mentioned, among other fishies, argonauts and molisks. Anyone know what kind of fish these two are, because I can't find it ...

About the exarosaur: when you scan it you get this info about it:

So I think you're right, with one addition: xeno = strange / something you don't know.

:smash: :thumbup: :smash:

Ah , didn't check it's info. Turns out they had already done the work for me lol.

Are you sure that in "20.000 ..." they weren't mentioning "molusks"? lol

Nice tips ;)

FlameDancer said:
The name of the fossil is Trilobite - MA obviously switched one of the letters to get Trilomite

Ups, you're right. I didn't check that one. I just threw it from the top of my head from what I remembered.

DevAng said:
Ah , didn't check it's info. Turns out they had already done the work for me lol.

Are you sure that in "20.000 ..." they weren't mentioning "molusks"? lol

Nice tips ;)

Ups, you're right. I didn't check that one. I just threw it from the top of my head from what I remembered.
I think infakt it was molusk.. but MA is pretty darned close..

Back