LA events limitation

Status

MindBuster

Forum Founder, Administrator
Society
Freelancer
Werty MindBuster Someone
From now on, Land Area "events" or rather "competitions" as they are, are only allowed to be started and maintained by the land owners themselfes.

Any currently running events that is started by employees are allowed to stay until finished, but any new LA event that is not started by the land owners themselfes will be deleted.

Just as in our trade section it is not allowed to sell stuff for others.

There will though be an alternative available, as I have mentioned before in other threads, EF is not here for ppl to stuff their pockets, though if the land owner contribute economically to help keeping EF running, by "renting" a sponsored forum like you see with the CND sponsored forum, then a land owner is allowed to use employees to start and maintain his/her "events", within that sponsored forum ofcourse.

The sponsored forums will have a price tag of $100 per month, 6 months in non-refundable advance payment, which include the sponsored forum itself, with a small logo next to it, and a gallery section named the same for competition uploads, and ofcourse the ability to have employees start and maintain "events".

This may sound rather expensive to some, but a few land owners have earlier already paid much more than that for a monthly banner advertising their competitions, not to mention the great exposure such a sponsored forum will bring, much better than having competitions tugged away in the events forum.
Former land owners having advertised here on EF with a banner knows it is a very good deal. They get great exposure and at the same time helps out with keeping EF running.

Does this sound unreasonable to anyone ? or is it fair ?

it sounds fair to me if they can afoard buying a LA i'm sure they can afoard 100$ a month.

also will be good if u finaly manage to place those land area event screenshots in seperate section :) seems they are 90% now in album section :)

pretty good idea, i would like to see it
i'm for it

Does this include usage of the in game "event system" on someone else's land? The way you've described it here I would not be able to advertise a one hour hunting event that I started on Oyster Isle because I am not the land owner.

This means that if a non-LA owner creates an event, then they are not allowed to advertise it, in which case, no, it's not fair.

When you take into account the pathetic way MA have implemented the access to events (you can only see events specific to the Event Organisers area or Claim Marker) [ie - using the Search function is pointless, it does not show ANY other events than those created in that specific area] then potential competitors in any even really only have this forum, Reality Port and Entropia Directory to find event to participate in.

Did that make sense?

Anyhow, my feeling is that restricting event threads only to those that actually OWN the event area is bad and unfair.

We have a seperate event forum here, and it's not like it is iverflowing with events, so I ask... why the restriction?

On the plus side, I can see the advantage and fully agree with the sponsorship, advertising and seperate sub-forum ideas.

i think its just about the land area events, with posting globals etc
if you make an ingame event without LA, you arent affected i think

Alice said:
i think its just about the land area events, with posting globals etc
if you make an ingame event without LA, you arent affected i think

Correct, it is aimed towards those massive longterm competitions with image uploads, ofcourse, anyone else wanting their own sponsored forum as mentioned above are able to get one if they have a good reason, meaning something about their interests within EU, not if it is something not about EU though, only EU related.

And I can announce that we got a new sponsor :)
Akoz has rented his own sponsored forum called "Akoz's Area", the title may be changed later, it was put up rather quick, Akoz may figure out a new name later on.

MindBuster said:
Does this sound unreasonable to anyone ? or is it fair ?
If you get no takers consider it unfair.

If several take you up on the scheme then it is a good move as far as EF is concerned.

I think you should consider making a small forum where none LA owners can post events - Alot of regular players are making noob events, mid lvl events, PVP events etc. - I completely understand your stand, but think that these small events need a small forum as well - Maybe make it so that only premium members can post in that forum ?

Euroman said:
I think you should consider making a small forum where none LA owners can post events - Alot of regular players are making noob events, mid lvl events, PVP events etc. - I completely understand your stand, but think that these small events need a small forum as well - Maybe make it so that only premium members can post in that forum ?

Well, that's exactly what the "Events" forum was intended for at start. :silly2:

I'm still pondering this concept, I am yet undecided. Although I do understand the mass pic uploads that are done just for events. 100$ a month just seems way steep to me just for a lil section on a forum. But I guess if you have a good LA and you making 500$ a month or more, it could be worth it.

I also ask this. I know this new server is costing you a little over 500$ a month. Now you have 2 paying land owners currently NEVERDIE and Akoz. You now have a steady monthly income of 200$. Once you have 5 land owners, your costs will be covered 100% or damn close to it. Or even 10, you'll be making 500$ a month off the forum. Will you still be asking for donations from regular users? And if so where is this extra income going? Saved for future upgrades to the forum, like video uploads as you mention before. Or does it go into your pocket?

Don't read into this too much, I'm just asking :silly2:

And that goes for the rest of you also! :tongue2:

Yes, that's the big question as many are afraid of would happen, that I after 19 months of hard administration, 4-6 hours every day, reading almost every post, because I have to, loosing valueable ingame playing time with little chance to loot something good because I have to check up on the forum every now and then, that I at some point actually got a little profit out of it....

That I may at some point be able to cover the coffee I drink while maintaining EF, that would be disastrous wouldnt it. ?

Faustian said:
I'm still pondering this concept, I am yet undecided. Although I do understand the mass pic uploads that are done just for events. 100$ a month just seems way steep to me just for a lil section on a forum. But I guess if you have a good LA and you making 500$ a month or more, it could be worth it.

I also ask this. I know this new server is costing you a little over 500$ a month. Now you have 2 paying land owners currently NEVERDIE and Akoz. You now have a steady monthly income of 200$. Once you have 5 land owners, your costs will be covered 100% or damn close to it. Or even 10, you'll be making 500$ a month off the forum. Will you still be asking for donations from regular users? And if so where is this extra income going? Saved for future upgrades to the forum, like video uploads as you mention before. Or does it go into your pocket?

Don't read into this too much, I'm just asking :silly2:

And that goes for the rest of you also! :tongue2:

I dont think that is anything worth "worrying" over. 100$ a month is 33 ped a day wich pretty much equals daily fertilizer cost of a decent LA thus doubling your expenses. Unless you have multiple LAs it really can't be worth it. I'm not yet sure if it is for me either. As long as it goes to EF though I'm ok with it though.

I think that is perfectly reasonable.

When you consider the cost of a land area even when you buy it from marus callender is $15,000-30,000 or more it is a small added expense of $1,200 per year to advertise and promote your land area in a venu that is probrbaly the most popular EU related website.

Consider a new car or a house (pretending for a moment you can actually buy a house somewhere other than a 3rd world country) for $15-30K the finaance fees , taxes and other fees for a car or a house would be $1,200 or more.
Then take in to consideration that unless your a delivery driver for a messenger service or dominoes pizza your car wont make you any money.
A land area will make you money even if you manage it somewone ineffiently.

IT may very well come down to it that Mindbuster gets enough sponsered forums to cover the costs of this forum and even be able to make some money off of it for his time and energy spent.

If/when that time comes i am sure that individual donatsions would become less important and relied upon and in some cases unnessisary.

Additionally a sponsered forums actually increase the security and stability of this forum in that there is a better gaurontee that it will be paid for.
Relying on donotions exlusively creates uncertainy as they cant be counted on over the long term. Relying on donatyions is just too dynamic with too many uncertain conditions.

When it comes down to it if you can afford an item that cost $15-30K, $1.2k is a drop in the bucket. Compared to other items of the same price in real life your still gonna pay that much through the use and management or protection of that item anyways.
Wether it is intrest and mainenance fees for a car, closing costs for house.
electricity and management for a high end enterprise server or even the insurance costs for an expensive peice of jewelry or art.

Of course, one could always sign up for the Festival Of FirePower ...(every 6 weeks) and have themselves a blast in the best hunting tournament available in-game for only the cost of their ammo on the night...... (sept 2nd Sakura City 19:00 btw) :D

MindBuster said:
Yes, that's the big question as many are afraid of would happen, that I after 19 months of hard administration, 4-6 hours every day, reading almost every post, because I have to, loosing valueable ingame playing time with little chance to loot something good because I have to check up on the forum every now and then, that I at some point actually got a little profit out of it....

That I may at some point be able to cover the coffee I drink while maintaining EF, that would be disastrous wouldnt it. ?

Thanks for the speedy responce :)
Was only a question! You know me, I'm not affraid to ask something. If you make a few bucks, then good for you :D

Hurrikane said:
Of course, one could always sign up for the Festival Of FirePower ...(every 6 weeks) and have themselves a blast in the best hunting tournament available in-game for only the cost of their ammo on the night...... (sept 2nd Sakura City 19:00 btw) :D

WTF does this have to do with this thread?

Faustian said:
WTF does this have to do with this thread?

Just presenting an alternative way of doing a competition..... thought it might be relevant.... I'll get me coat.

Hurrikane said:
Just presenting an alternative way of doing a competition..... thought it might be relevant.... I'll get me coat.

It's not, have a nice day Sir.

Euroman said:

more revenue for the forum but puts down the little man who doesnt have the ability to, or doesnt wish to become premium. (please don't get into the whole premium everyone should be conflict, there's a thread about it)

Just to make sure im not understand something wrong with my foolish english. If someone, not hired by a Land owner, decide to hold a Event created by the Event System on a Land Area hes not longer allowed to post it here ? (This kind of "Hunt 1 hour highes loot wins price" Events)

Or you just talk about this "Post your Globals and win xxxx Stuff in a Month" kind of Events ?

Im not sure yet what i shall think about your Idea. But as you allready progressed to realize them, i guess this thread is just to collect opinions and listening suggestions for fine tuning. With that step your site turn into a comercial product giving out advantages for people who pay for it. Advertising is allready here and i can see the premium subscription enable you to upload videos later and some other nice goodies. You steep away from a Fansite Status not aiming for profit. Well, why not creativity hard work and sense for the future development of Eu should rewarded. But we know, we not talk here about pennys anymore later, that covers your coffe cost ;)

But back to topic for the fine tuning.

You know who controlls the media gain also part controll over the opinion
of their users. For fair competetion you should consider that users without multiple LAs might not benefit enough to justify 100 usd to promote their little la. Maybe a advertising modell that link the payment somewhat to the ammount of Las with a maximum of 100 usd/month would give smaller land owners also a fair chance and create more competetion between land owners whats also good for us the players that use this lands.

We must see how your Plans influence the marked and if its bad you will hear me soon enough crying about it. If not, i probably wont praise you but i will shut up :silly2:

As I am not a LA owner, I guess there is a limit to what input I can make.

If a LA generates $100/month extra, or more, after the advertisment of having your own section here, then it would be a fair price.
If on the other hand the extra exposure only raises income by $50/month, then the $100/month price is not a fair price.
At this point it's over to Akoz to note if his income is improved, or not.
Anyone who does take up MB on his offer will have to remember that they already have been using this site as a form of advertising, only that up till now it's been free. Hence they might already be getting an increase in their income from the exposure.

Would I pay $100 a month? AFAIK advertising is an expensive business, and I would think $100/month is probably quite cheap in the grand scheme of things.

my :twocents:.

I'm confused...

I’m confused, but that is ok, I’m an old fart. Now, my two pecs…

I don’t see the harm if you have a ‘contest area’ that does not allow pictures or any such…just simple post that this event will be held at a certain place at a certain time for a certain cost.

If a user wants to have all kinds of ads, pictures, whatever, then they can pay the 100 bucks for it…

Am I missing something?

DS..

Please read the whole thread, I already answered it once, read this quote...

MindBuster said:
Correct, it is aimed towards those massive longterm competitions with image uploads, ofcourse, anyone else wanting their own sponsored forum as mentioned above are able to get one if they have a good reason, meaning something about their interests within EU, not if it is something not about EU though, only EU related.

:wise:

MindBuster said:
Well, that's exactly what the "Events" forum was intended for at start. :silly2:

Aaahhh gatcha ;)
Sorry about the missunderstanding, good move then :girl:

Hmmmm this actualy opens up for some new ideas, I understand that none LA owners can get a forum as well, as long as it's something with PE.

What if someone was to make some kind of business in PE (Could be anything) they could then get their own forum ? :)

Don't know if this answer was directed at me??

ok....so, i guess you can't creat a forum that does not allow picuture uploads?

So, a person that does not have a land area, had to submit a request to have a message in a forum about an event, and if the powers that be 'approve' it, then they might have the ad posted?

I guess i'm missing something...

DS

LokiDarkStar said:
ok....so, i guess you can't creat a forum that does not allow picuture uploads?

Correct, it is impossible to restrict image uploads to one forum as the whole gallery system / image upload system is designed to be a separate component.

In fact, you can upload a image here, and yet not reference it in any posts. When you post an image in a particular forum, you are simply posting a reference to the image already uploaded, and which already consumes space + bandwidth.

LokiDarkStar said:
Don't know if this answer was directed at me??

DS

Sorry, I should have quoted, the answer was not aimed towards you. ;)

OK, now i understand...

if you can't limit the pics a person puts into a post...shame that you can't...then i see your reason...band width cost money...

DS...

Status
Back