EntropiaForum Adspace

Site Admin
Admin
I am very happy to announce an exciting new feature of EntropiaForum, which will allow members to purchase adspace on EF with EFDs.

The banner location will appear on all parts of EntropiaForum, and is reserved exclusively for EntropiaUniverse related advertisements. This will allow our members to promote their events, land area competitions, sales threads, parties, society recruiting efforts, or anything else related to EntropiaUniverse. This should quickly become one of the most effective ways to get the attention of the EU community. Thousands of EntropiaUniverse participants visit EF each day, so this is great way to promote just about anything in EU.

Requirements:

A 728 pixel wide by 90 pixel high banner in gif or jpg format. Animated images are acceptable, but maximum file size is 700 kb.

All banners must link to a thread on EntropiaForum. Before launching an ad campaign, a thread that describres your event or auction should be created in the appropriate forum on EF (i.e. Events, Selling, Soc Talk, etc.) This link must be provided along with the banner when creating the ad campaign.

All ad campaigns and banner images are subject to EF admin approval, and are restricted to EntropiaUniverse events and items. No ad campaign that violates either the forum rules or EntropiaUniverse EULA will be permitted.

Advertising Rates:

Prices for these banner ad locations are very reasonable, and are purchased with EFDs. EFD System Explained.

• 3 Day Ad Campaign - 15000 EFD
  • 7 Day Ad Campaign - 30000 EFD
  • 14 Day Ad Campaign - 58000 EFD

Ordering:

1. Create a thread describing your event or sale in the appropriate forum on EF
  2. Upload your 728 x 90 banner to the Gallery in the Adspace category
  3. Send a private message to 711 with the links to your banner and event thread, along with your target start date and length of campaign.
  4. Be sure you have enough EFDs for the requested Ad campaign.

If you do not have enough EFDs, but would like to run an ad campaign on EF, please contact me via PM and arrangements can be made to make payment via PEDs.

Last edited:
Nice idea, is viewing of ads optional?

Since all of these ads are EU related, making them optional would kind of defeat the purpose.

Members who had made donations to Mindbuster in the past had the Google ads automatically disabled, and this remains the case. All users of EF will see the EU related ads, however.

i like the idea alot.

interesting that neverdie has the first ad....

i like the idea alot.

interesting that neverdie has the first ad....

EntropiaForum is one of the sponsors of the MMOWC, so I am trying to help promote the MMOWC for Neverdie, as well as demonstrate the effectiveness of the new EF ad system to our members.

:)

EntropiaForum is one of the sponsors of the MMOWC, so I am trying to help promote the MMOWC for Neverdie, as well as demonstrate the effectiveness of the new EF ad system to our members.

:)

not making any beef....just saying that NEVERDIE as the first is not uncommon.

............see sig................

*points to post above* and thats not a problem at all!

Should you need an Ad creation, i am available to make them. PM me. These however will have a price.

Oh. So much EFD! :eek: :rolleyes:

30,000 EDF... hummm well that will take me 15 years to find,, great, looking forward to that day....:rolleyes:

Well, you can also pay in PED as stated above. :)

I'm curious about the ads to come, I like the idea!

What are the exchange rates for EFD to PED actually? Is it always 200 EFD for 1 PED? Thanks!

nice, great idea 711! Now, whats the name of the avatar we give our peds to if we were to buy the ad space ;)

Nicko

Members who had made donations to Mindbuster in the past had the Google ads automatically disabled, and this remains the case. All users of EF will see the EU related ads, however.

Am I the only one not being happy with that?

Furthermore, letting the payments be in PEDs is not allowed unless MA authorized you for that.

Am I the only one not being happy with that?

Furthermore, letting the payments be in PEDs is not allowed unless MA authorized you for that.

says the one who created the most used 3rd party program in game:laugh:

So, can the artists amongst us now charge peds for creating banner ads for people who purchase adspace, if peds can be used to pay for the adspace?

If not, then how is the ban on selling signature images for instance, justifyable?...

Rule # 20
Affiliate or referral links posted with the intention of personal gain are NOT allowed. Advertising real life items or services is also NOT allowed, including such posts as “I’ll make you a nice signature for PEDs” or "Cheap web hosting for societies". If you would like to advertise on EntropiaForum, please use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of every forum page.

I am not bitching, whining, whingeing, or complaining. Just requesting clarification on the issue

Probably. Whats the big deal about seeing a banner?

That I payed to NOT see banners ?

Edit: Oh, end my +reps say I'm really not the only one ;)

Last edited:
says the one who created the most used 3rd party program in game:laugh:

:D

Either way, PEAss is not disallowed, just 'advised against' by MA. It is not illegal in any way (discuss in another thread if you wish). Furthermore, I receive donations, sometimes in PEDs, which Marco said is already walking the line (in PM). Charging for things in PEDs outside of the EU universe though, is right out not allowed, unless you ask MA and they allow you to. It's somewhere in the EULA, can't be arsed to look it up.

Capice?

yup you are right, but for a matter of convenience a trade of peds sounds good. We can discuss it, but in the end, if i decide to approach someone and give him 10K ped ingame its my choice. Its no one's business, and MA shouldn't care about it.

How would you know if me giving him 10K peds was out of pure generosity or because we had done a RL deal? Seriously, this is coming to ethics and deontology fields discussion.

IF i act like this, provided i have DONE that, THEN result will be X.

While it should be: If i do this, its no one's business but my own.

I can see why MA wouldn't like the trade to be in PED's, because if you trade money IRL thru paypal and then deposit it, they collect a tax. But hey, even if you give someone peds out of your own card, those peds are already taxed dollars, so i don't understand what the fuss is about.

Unless MA only want peds to be traded for ingame business, and not related to outside business (which could lead to official taxing on the game by authorities, etc)...

One question... What if any payment of a RL job is done in items other then peds? Then what?

...Charging for things in PEDs outside of the EU universe though, is right out not allowed, unless you ask MA and they allow you to. It's somewhere in the EULA, can't be arsed to look it up.

Capice?

Si! So 711 and Neverdie should be banned. :D

Ag.

Somehow I think if MB had decided to implement a similar system nobody would have said anything.

Somehow I think if someone other than Neverdie had bought the first ad nobody would have said anything.

:rolleyes:

A few comments on the payment of ads:

I would prefer if all ads were paid for with EFDs. Before announcing the ad feature, I spent a lot of time considering many of the issues raised by Chainfire and others in this thread.

However, I have this dilemma: if the ads are too inexpensive, then people can create ads for just about anything, and/or very frivilous purposes, just to unload their EFDs. This would create an unreasonable workload for me, and would result in low quailty ads and events being shoved in the face of EF members.

On the other hand, if I make the ads too expensive (in terms of EFDs), then noone will be able to afford them, and the wonderful ad system will not be used. So I had to offer some way to purchase EU related ads for members who do not have enough EFDs.

Since Mindark has approved the EFD auctions in principle (for low value EU items, i.e. under 500 peds) the ability to purchase EF adspace (or simply EFDs with which to purchase those ads) with PEDs is not that different. Researching previous EFD item auctions, I discovered that the EFD to PED exchange ratio should be set at 250 to 1. I spent alot of time considering the prices for the ad campaigns. I wanted to make this system accessible to as many EF members as possible, while ensuring a quality level that would enhance the user experience, and provide good results for advertisers. The ad rates I came up with are very reasonable in my opinion, considering the 250-1 ratio above:

120 Peds for 3 Day Ads
240 Peds for 7 Day Ads
440 Peds for 14 Day Ads

I could have simply just offered the ads only for EFDs, with an option to purchase with cash, but how would this be any different than PEDs? If I had said instead that those without enough EFDs can purchase a 14 day ad campaign for $44, haven't I also created a standard exchange rate for EFDs to PEDs anyway? Since Mindark has tied the value of PEDs directly to the dollar (and by extension to all RL currencies, based on exchange rates), expressing prices in terms of dollars just to be "legal" with regard to EULA is simply semantics. Now, considering that the service offered here: adspace on a fan forum to promote events and items inside EU, is directly benefiting the EU community and activity in EU, how can this be a bad thing for MA or EU?

As for the ability of "Premium" members to automatically bypass ads: the privileges that were given to donators by Mindbuster do not apply to these ads, as they are directly related to EU. There will be no option to disable these member ads.

The structure of membership levels on EF will be revisited. Right now, a situation exists where new EF members have no way to gain the same permissions and priviliges of former donators. This is unfair, thus I will be working on a membership model that is much more fair to all members of the EF community, and which will reflect relative support of EF.

Finally, the ads for the MMOWC that are currently being shown in the EF adspace banner location were donated by EF, which is a sponsor of the MMOWC. I thought this would be a great way not only to promote an exciting event that EF is helping to sponsor, but also to demonstrate the effectiveness of the EF adspace system to the community. Already the MMOWC banner has had over 27,000 impressions and 180 clicks in less than 10 hours. That's 180 EU participants gaining awareness of an event thread that very possibly would have not seen it without this ad.

A nice idea, 711, and I fully understand your issue with the pricing. However, can I just make a small point?

14 Day Ad Campaign - 110000 EFD
According to the list of richest EFDers, this only leaves you 3 possible customers who can afford this, and no one can afford it twice.

7 Day Ad Campaign - 60000 EFD
Here, you have 9 folks who can afford this service.

This doesn't leave you many potential customers.

May I request a reduction in price, please? Sure you may get some lousy banners for lousy promotions, but I'm sure there are some FAPpers, crafters, hairstylists, etc. who wouldn't mind paying if it were more reasonable.

I pretty much figured my donation to Mindbuster didn't mean anything when he sold the forum. Hope he got that steak dinner he always talked about. :)

A nice idea, 711, and I fully understand your issue with the pricing. However, can I just make a small point?

14 Day Ad Campaign - 110000 EFD
According to the list of richest EFDers, this only leaves you 3 possible customers who can afford this, and no one can afford it twice.

7 Day Ad Campaign - 60000 EFD
Here, you have 9 folks who can afford this service.

This doesn't leave you many potential customers.

May I request a reduction in price, please? Sure you may get some lousy banners for lousy promotions, but I'm sure there are some FAPpers, crafters, hairstylists, etc. who wouldn't mind paying if it were more reasonable.

Please reread my post above, with regard to pricing. The rates are very reasonable in my opinion. Compare these to the cost of using the in-game ad system, which results in much less interaction, and no way for interested users to find out more information about your promoted event (unless you provide a URL in your ad, which requires leaving EU, or using windowed mode). With the EF Adspace ads, members can click on your banner, and go directly to your event promotion thread, and find all the details.

The in-game ads are of course wonderful and reach the entirety of the EU community (assuming they look at the ad screens), but only allow the use of preconstructed backgrounds, and simple text. With EF ads, members have tremendous flexibility in creating banners, as well as including images and information in their event threads.

EF Adspace ads are not intended to compete with the in-game ad system, but rather to complement it. Successful promotion of an event would very likely employ both advertising outlets to reach the EU community.

I only offer comparisons on price to show that the EF adspace ads are indeed a very inexpensive advertising option.

As for the concern that few EF members have enough EFDs to purchase EF ad campaigns, there are many options:

• Sell some low-value items in the EFD auction section
  • Become more active on the forum by making contributions to discussions, creating noteworthy threads, etc.
  • Seek donations from society members, event partners, etc.
  • Offer EU related services in exchange for EFDs
  • Last resort: buy EF Ads with cash (or PEDs, as explained above)

My hope is that the economy with regard to EFDs will become much more active. The EF Adspace system is a step in that direction, by encouraging members to become active contributors to both the EF and EU communities.

I hope this helps to explain the pricing of the Adspace campaigns. Please realize that I put alot of thought into this, and settled on what I believe is best for EF, and our members.

I pretty much figured my donation to Mindbuster didn't mean anything when he sold the forum. Hope he got that steak dinner he always talked about. :)

This is a very cynical post, and it's not clear how this relates to the new ad system.

Your donation still enables you to browse EF without seeing the Google ads, and gives other benefits related to Premium Member status, so how exactly does your donation "not mean anything" after MB sold the forum? :confused:

Buying EFD, 220 to 1 PED!

Selling EFD, 240 to 1 PED! :eek:

I became one of the top 3 richest members by making lots of signatures. Thus, providing an EF service to the users.

I have to say some people were very generous with EFD's, and to them i thank once again.

Im not spending EFD's on advertising however, as i don't own any land, don't make events and with so much money, i just want more more more more !!! :D

j/k, seriously, i think the price is high, but 711's idea is concise and im sure he has given it much thought.

Its just another challenge. If you manage to have a moment of genius and make an event that will make you rich from one day to the other... you will surely need the ads to make it happen.

I've been lurking in this place for over a year, and im hooked on EF... Mindbuster did a great job with the forum when he owned it, but i must admit 711 is doing an awesome job as well by pimping it all up.

And yes, i am proud my work is here for all of my fellow entropians to see and enjoy, makes the production of it worthwile to the very last pixel!

:D

...Since Mindark has tied the value of PEDs directly to the dollar (and by extension to all RL currencies, based on exchange rates), expressing prices in terms of dollars just to be "legal" with regard to EULA is simply semantics. Now, considering that the service offered here: adspace on a fan forum to promote events and items inside EU, is directly benefiting the EU community and activity in EU, how can this be a bad thing for MA or EU?...

Hm. Okay. So it would not be okay, if I for example offer to chance PEDs into Linden$, because that would be bad for EU/MA. But a exchange-service to make PEDs out of Linden$ is okay, because it is not a bad thing to EU/MA? Same for other golden coins of course.
And of course I can offer players a service for getting real $ into PEDs. They dont need to deposit directly anymore... because it is no bad thing to EU/MA.

Rules or no rules... this is the question.

Ag.

Back