Announcing Entropians.com :: A new Entropia Universe community resource

works fine thru..

I use Pidgin. Connecting to the entropians.com server works fine.

Of course if I don't like the feature I am free not to use it, and those who do like it are of course free to use it. I didn't even really say much about the IM client itself, I simply don't care much about it.

What I did comment on was the ridiculous fanboism of some people who jump up and down screaming 'WOW THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER' at every stupid thing anybody posts. Probably without even reading or knowing what they are responding to. I find this ridiculous. Take all the people that will post 'GRATZ!!!' to threads accidentally posted in the HOF section here. Lots of people are just mindless drones, and I will call them out on it. If YOU don't like that than YOU are free to simply not read MY posts. kthx

I love EF, and I love many of the people who use it. No, I will not simply just leave. EF is OUR community. Mindbuster built it, we all supported him, morally and financially. 711 is now the custodian, but I reject the idea that we all need to just shut up and take it if we are unhappy with certain aspects of it. This is not the spirit in which the 'change of ownership' occured as both MB and Neomaven made clear at the time.

Now as for you quoting my remarks about being somehow labeled some sort of racist or xenophobe.. did you have a comment on that? I get quite pissed off when people america-bash like it is some sort of competitive sport. Oh.. centech is american so what he says doesn't matter.. He doesn't understand anything outside of the US. Well, I've traveled to 5 continents and dozens of different countries. I have a college degree, I work on Wall St. I wont flaunt financial numbers because I'm not dion, but I do pretty ok. I know a thing or two about the world. I'm not a country bumpkin and I'm certainly not ignorant, so I don't appreciate the condescending attitude people take about Americans.

As for the -rep.. You are special, that was just for you babe. ;)

What I am bitching about is the general mindless fanboism of a large sector of the EF population.

I dont need an EU myspace or facebook.. hell I dont need the real one. I don't need an EU IM. Whats next, EU email? EU-Amazon.com? Give me a break.

Yes, if we don't absolutely hate everything neomaven or every warant does or says, we are "fanbois".

Grow up. :rolleyes:

Of course if I don't like the feature I am free not to use it, and those who do like it are of course free to use it. I didn't even really say much about the IM client itself, I simply don't care much about it.

What I did comment on was the ridiculous fanboism of some people who jump up and down screaming 'WOW THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER' at every stupid thing anybody posts. Probably without even reading or knowing what they are responding to. I find this ridiculous. Take all the people that will post 'GRATZ!!!' to threads accidentally posted in the HOF section here. Lots of people are just mindless drones, and I will call them out on it. If YOU don't like that than YOU are free to simply not read MY posts. kthx

I love EF, and I love many of the people who use it. No, I will not simply just leave. EF is OUR community. Mindbuster built it, we all supported him, morally and financially. 711 is now the custodian, but I reject the idea that we all need to just shut up and take it if we are unhappy with certain aspects of it. This is not the spirit in which the 'change of ownership' occured as both MB and Neomaven made clear at the time.

Now as for you quoting my remarks about being somehow labeled some sort of racist or xenophobe.. did you have a comment on that? I get quite pissed off when people america-bash like it is some sort of competitive sport. Oh.. centech is american so what he says doesn't matter.. He doesn't understand anything outside of the US. Well, I've traveled to 5 continents and dozens of different countries. I have a college degree, I work on Wall St. I wont flaunt financial numbers because I'm not dion, but I do pretty ok. I know a thing or two about the world. I'm not a country bumpkin and I'm certainly not ignorant, so I don't appreciate the condescending attitude people take about Americans.

As for the -rep.. You are special, that was just for you babe. ;)

Well ... from one American to another ... your behavior at times is quite crass and rude, and you can get your point across without being an ass about it. And perhaps take some of your own advice ... you don't like reading the fanbois posts, then choose not to Babe. ;)

....and now the REAL question...

How do i earn EFD for IM'ing?? ;)

darri (kpward)
:D

great initiative and effort 711.

I would like to share one of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite Philosophers.

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid."

-- Friedrich Nietzsche

And with that in mind I will have nothing further to add to this discussion.

Dear 711

Im at work and havent tested this awesome IM yet. But the way I understand it, the IM you have to registrere on Entropians.com??

Why cant this IM be implemented in EntropiaForum.com, the same way Facebook.com is.
So that my friends on EntropiaForum.com are automaticly added to my IM.
And that we dont have to make another login,pass to use the IM.

I did not want to use the existing member base for the Entropia IM service, for several reasons.

Since you can save your password, and set the IM client to auto-login when Windows starts, you really don't need to remember a new login/pass.

Feature suggestion

Hi 711,

you wrote that the client would show 'away' in case a fullscreen window is infront.

How about showing 'ingame' in case the fullscreen windows has the Title

'Entropia Universe'

?

Tussi

I did not want to use the existing member base for the Entropia IM service, for several reasons.

Since you can save your password, and set the IM client to auto-login when Windows starts, you really don't need to remember a new login/pass.

So are you saying the EIM, database is not safe??

Hi all and dear 711!

While reading the impressive news about this new feature I've been deliberating over one question:

Will the new instant message system have the same list of banned words like EF does?:laugh:

Seriously.. are you all on crack? Everyone is so excited and gratzing 711 like he just invented instant messaging. AIM, MSN, xfire, yahoo messenger, icq, skype, etc. etc. etc.... Are these really all insufficient for your IMing needs? Lay off the freaking kool aid people.

I think you are missing the point. The EntropiansIM is a closed network just for Entropia Universe participants. Unlike most other Jabber-based servers, this one is not connected to the federated Jabber network, does not allow server-to-server communications, and does not allow people from other Jabber servers to register directly from the IM client.

Also, regarding your idea that there are already "too many messengers": Jabber clients have the ability to use IM transport gateways (a feature I will be adding to EUIM soon), allowing users to simultaneously access their AIM, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ and Jabber contact lists, all from a single client program.

So are you saying the EIM, database is not safe??

Where did I say that? :confused: The EUIM database is very secure, using comparable DB and hardware security standards as EF. In fact, the IM server encypts user passwords even more thoroughly than does vBulletin (the forum software powering EF).

A forum and a IM network are two completely different things, which is why I launched Entropians.com as a stand-alone site. Many members of the forum may not want to use instant messaging, or vice versa. Also, launching EUIM stand-alone gives me the ability to integrate with future projects as well, such as web-based email.

I could have easily built the EntropiansIM network to be incorporated with EntropiaForum and integrated it with the existing user base here, but I did not want that.

Feature request:

Add a field for society, which is also used in search.

Members should use one of the existing vCard fields for this (perhaps company name or organization).

711...if its pure Java, why not give us a Java Webstart version instead of distributing an installer thats solely Windoze oriented....that way you can tout your cross platform ability much more.

That, or give us access to a jar file directly?

Since the Windows platform is required to participate in Entropia Universe, it made most sense to distribute the software via a Windows installer. This will be very useful when new versions of the EntropiaIM client are released, as the installer will automatically unistall previous versions when installing newer ones.

As I mention on Entropians.com, if you prefer to use another client that runs on another OS, there are many different options available. A google search for "jabbber client [preferred OS]" should be quite fruitful. And of course, many of the more popular Jabber clients are listed on http://www.jabber.org/clients

Hi 711,

you wrote that the client would show 'away' in case a fullscreen window is infront.

How about showing 'ingame' in case the fullscreen windows has the Title

'Entropia Universe'

?

Tussi

I'm pretty sure you can set a custom default away message (e.g. "In Game"). Thus, when the IM client sets you to away when a full-screen program is launched (e.g. Entropia Universe), it will show your default away message.

Some person I don't know is continually attempting to add me over and over again. Is there an ignore or block function that I am not seeing?

Cough cough. ;)

Ok lets not all be flamers on centech this is EF not ER lol. He's allowed to have his opinion. I half agree with what he says basically "Why do i need another chat client" is a good question.
The answer though i think is that we can easily find EU people especially EF people. Which It's not realy about the client software that is realy great it's the network itself. And to that i say way to go 711 this is something of value.

I wish i had ONE program that worked with skype msn and entropians.

Does Trillian do this? I think it does all by skype i'll have to try it.

Ok lets not all be flamers on centech this is EF not ER lol. He's allowed to have his opinion. I half agree with what he says basically "Why do i need another chat client" is a good question.
The answer though i think is that we can easily find EU people especially EF people. Which It's not realy about the client software that is realy great it's the network itself. And to that i say way to go 711 this is something of value.

I wish i had ONE program that worked with skype msn and entropians.

Does Trillian do this? I think it does all by skype i'll have to try it.

i think 711 mentioned he plans to integrate the client wih other messangers :)

Hi all and dear 711!

While reading the impressive news about this new feature I've been deliberating over one question:

Will the new instant message system have the same list of banned words like EF does?:laugh:

As the messages are not public, there is no list of censored words.

However, EntropiaForum does still ban duplicate accounts that sign up via open proxies.

Banned.

Watch, next VU MA will finally expand the friends list now that this tool is out.

The Rupert Murdoch of Entropia Universe, fingers in so many pies he's got his toes in pies :laugh:

As for security, I am the only person with access to the database or admin control panel, so the situation is not much different than it is here on EF with regard to private messages (basically it would be highly immoral, and probably illegal for me to root around in places where people have a legitimate expectation of privacy). In any case, I'm much to busy working on projects like this to have time for spying, lol.
Who can argue with that!

Great stuff, just don't spread yourself too thin.

Since the Windows platform is required to participate in Entropia Universe, it made most sense to distribute the software via a Windows installer. This will be very useful when new versions of the EntropiaIM client are released, as the installer will automatically unistall previous versions when installing newer ones.

As I mention on Entropians.com, if you prefer to use another client that runs on another OS, there are many different options available. A google search for "jabbber client [preferred OS]" should be quite fruitful. And of course, many of the more popular Jabber clients are listed on http://www.jabber.org/clients

Hello again,

While I do understand your point, I was hoping you would atleast make the jar file available for those of us that would like your specific functionality while on alternate platforms (in my case Solaris)...I know I could easily configure Pidgin (replacement for Gaim) to connect, but would like to see how your particular client works and the features it has. I personally have no issue with having to manually grab a new jar file when you do updates.

Also, as I suggested, a Java Webstart link on entropians.com would completely eliminate your version issue as the jar is dynamically loaded by the client (so if you update it on the server, next time somone clicks the webstart link, they get the new version). Just something to consider for us alternate platforms folks!

Hi 711,

Downloading the client now.

If I could make a suggestion, you may want to indicate the estimated file download size under the download section of entropians website.

Passing the 15Mb mark atm thinking this is a very big IM progy ;)

~ Sparkz

PS. 24 Mb wow huge IM program ;p Must be very feature rich.

Couple of interesting faults, I'll try not to bring my work home :laugh:

But it's a great idea, I'll have this loaded at work, for when my peeps are online and I'm working.:thumbup:

Couple of interesting faults, I'll try not to bring my work home :laugh:

But it's a great idea, I'll have this loaded at work, for when my peeps are online and I'm working.:thumbup:

You mean you disabled it in your client, right?
Using another client email addresses show up just fine.
Any comment on this, bit of a concern. Don't really want some Joe adding me to yet another mailing list...

yikes, one more client to add to my list!

Can you get it to work on meebo? :p

Back