Announcing Entropians.com :: A new Entropia Universe community resource

Hello again,

While I do understand your point, I was hoping you would atleast make the jar file available for those of us that would like your specific functionality while on alternate platforms (in my case Solaris)...I know I could easily configure Pidgin (replacement for Gaim) to connect, but would like to see how your particular client works and the features it has. I personally have no issue with having to manually grab a new jar file when you do updates.

Also, as I suggested, a Java Webstart link on entropians.com would completely eliminate your version issue as the jar is dynamically loaded by the client (so if you update it on the server, next time somone clicks the webstart link, they get the new version). Just something to consider for us alternate platforms folks!

I was a bit unclear what you were suggesting earlier, thanks for clarifying.

I will research the possibility of implementing your suggestions.

Thanks for the feedback.

Hi 711,

Downloading the client now.

If I could make a suggestion, you may want to indicate the estimated file download size under the download section of entropians website.

Passing the 15Mb mark atm thinking this is a very big IM progy ;)

~ Sparkz

PS. 24 Mb wow huge IM program ;p Must be very feature rich.

The reason the file is so big is because it comes bundled with the latest Java runtime environment (JRE 1.6.0_06), relieving the need for members to download and/or install Java separately.

I can offer a separate version that does not have a bundled JRE for those members who already have Java 1.6 installed.

The reason the file is so big is because it comes bundled with the latest Java runtime environment (JRE 1.6.0_06), relieving the need for members to download and/or install Java separately.

I can offer a separate version that does not have a bundled JRE for those members who already have Java 1.6 installed.

Probably best to keep it with JRE as it keeps it simple for the not so computer literate users. It is not really a big deal to DL 24 Mb.
Maybe indicate the size to make people aware of this and that it includes JRE.

Never the less, it is a nice clean and easy to install package how you have it now.

~ Sparkz

Last edited:
Just another Question, 711 ;)

I use Audium at work - does this by any chance work together with that programe? With this I can drag in my contacts on msn ... would be neat though ... ;) I have no idea about how this kind of shitz0rz works though ..

Check out this page for all the popular Jabber clients you can configure to work w/ EntropiansIM.

http://www.jabber.org/clients

You can filter by operating system so you can find a program that works on mac, solaris, or even your cell phone.

Probably best to keep it with JRE as it keeps it simple for the not so computer literate users. It is not really a big deal to DL 24 Mb.
Maybe indicate the size to make people aware of this and that it includes JRE.

Never the less, it is a nice clean and easy to install package how you have it now.

~ Sparkz

Another reason I suggested Webstart...it has functionality (if written into the code) to automatically check the JRE version installed on the client machine, if not sufficient, it will direct the browser to the appropriate download site...

http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/JavaLP/javawebstart/AutoInstall.html

Sorry if it seems like I am on a crusade here, but Java Webstart is hands down the easiest way to get pure Java programs to any client, built in version control by always checking server to see if the client has the latest JAR cached, auto re-direct if JRE is insufficient, etc.

I will certainly for the time being use an alternate client to connect, but would enjoy being able to use the customized one 711 has developed on any platform.

In the version of this could you add the feature of letting us know if someone is a mobile user. Amount of time idle or away etc. . .

Can you have it minimize to the system tray. I don't need the EUIM taking up space in my task bar!@

Can you have it minimize to the system tray. I don't need the EUIM taking up space in my task bar!@

Just close the EUIM window and it will still be in your system tray.

It seems like a really cool thing that I can't wait to get home from work and download!!

Just close the EUIM window and it will still be in your system tray.

As Xen suggested, to minimize to tray, simply click the X at the top right hand corner of the application (like you normally would to close a program).

If you want to fully close the EntropiansIM program, right click on its tray icon and select "Exit".

tks

tks i wish you same ...but i liked better entropia a few yrs ago ..with ped loot .....and plss put some loot in game i like the game alot ..what happend with the nice loot :) ..... ..:)

i know file size has been discussed ... but i was wondering about the install size ... my file folder is almost 100Mb for an IM client ... seems more then a little big

edit:

711 i do like the program so far and since it supports AIM i will use it

So got msn and everthing and completely switched to this i realy like it better then msn cause of the spell check and the tabbed msg windows, and the lack of ads being downloaded constantly and taking up memory.

Next features i'd just like to see is the Society field and being able to search it.

p.s. Anyone feel free to add me.

i know file size has been discussed ... but i was wondering about the install size ... my file folder is almost 100Mb for an IM client ... seems more then a little big

edit:

711 i do like the program so far and since it supports AIM i will use it

As I mentioned in an earlier post, much of that data is the included Java Runtime Environment (JRE) that is packaged along with the IM client.

I will compile a version without the bundled JRE, and make it available on the download page for those users who already have Java installed on their machine (minimum JRE version 1.5, but 1.6 is preferred).

*answer to question*

thanks 711 ... would be nice to have a note that the java is in the folder at entropiansIM rather then in its own java folder. *or if said note is there i didnt see it and sorry*

one more oddity ive been seeing is in the FL ... im using both the EIM and AIM and its working great ... only thing is my EIM friends that are off line are showing up in both the online and the off line spots.... see pic

fl.jpg

thanks 711 ... would be nice to have a note that the java is in the folder at entropiansIM rather then in its own java folder. *or if said note is there i didnt see it and sorry*

Java itself is not distributed with the EntorpiansIM client, only a runtime environment. The EntropiansIM installer does not install Java on your computer, it only makes the runtime environment available for the application it is packaged with. Other Java programs on your PC would not have access to this JRE, and unless you also have Java installed on your PC, they would not be able to run.

one more oddity ive been seeing is in the FL ... im using both the EIM and AIM and its working great ... only thing is my EIM friends that are off line are showing up in both the online and the off line spots.... see pic

You need to select the "Group Offline Contacts" from the Contacts menu:

picture.php

Really nice program, registered and a few friend did aswell, hope it will get more popular over time which will happen i guess :)

EntropiansIM Client version 1.0.1 released

I have made several bugfixes and cosmetic tweaks to the client software, and added a couple more emoticon packs, including an EF pack that features many of the more popular EF smilies. The text shortcuts for the EF smilies are identical to the BB code shortcuts used here on EF, for example:

:woot: = :woot:

The download page also now offers a non-JRE bundled version, for those users who already have Java installed on their PC (minimum JRE version 1.5).
The non-JRE version is a much smaller download, and requires only ~18 MB of diskspace compared to over 100 MB for the JRE-bundled package.

Download the latest versions of the EntropiansIM client here:

http://www.entropians.com/download.html

I have also included some additional information about the files on the page:filesize and md5 checksums so you can ensure that you have received a legitimate version of the client.

**NOTE** There is no need to uninstall previous versions of the client when upgrading to a new version; the installer wizard will automatically uninstall any older versions found. Just make sure that you have completely logged off the client before installing the new version (right click on the tray icon and select "Exit").

Enjoy :cool:

Java itself is not distributed with the EntorpiansIM client, only a runtime environment. The EntropiansIM installer does not install Java on your computer, it only makes the runtime environment available for the application it is packaged with. Other Java programs on your PC would not have access to this JRE, and unless you also have Java installed on your PC, they would not be able to run.
your statement makes some logic but on a computer that I know has latest JRE *from JAVA* already installed in the C:\\program files\JAVA dir ....??? why do i need a second install of the current JAVA issued JRE to run this? if its not installing the current JRE what is taking over 75Mb on my HDD (no chat client should take that) ... if your program cannot access the current JRE already installed i think you may want to look into your programing skills before releasing this ... unless your using some mod of the current version of the official JRE (which should be told up front) *that is not ment as a slam just an honest no BS opinion* *i may be missing something but ... i guess ... confused*

questions id like direct answers to....
Java itself is not distributed . . . only a runtime environment
which one? the current JAVA one? what?

it only makes the runtime environment available for the application
which one? the JAVA one? what if one has the up-to-date JAVA JRE installed?

am i missing something in either installing JAVA and JRE already or am i missing something on your end ... im not getting it ... tell me like im a 2 year old ... speak it slow and super dumbed down.

second part:

You need to select the "Group Offline Contacts" from the Contacts menu:

picture.php
option was selected hince my worry and bringing to your attention, otherwise i wouldnt waste your time.

..... if your looking for me personally to use this program as my default chat program (which is the only way i will change) ... it needs to be 100% ... otherwise ... i have other options.

i dont need 2 installs of java ... i dont need on/off line issues ... i want a proffesional product to take over what im already using. if you can not provide that i know how to un-install this and config a jabber gateway.

im not trying to cut the program down *i like it ... alot* but you have said yourself that you have rushed it, maybe you should have waited, i know im not in the majority but i want 100% when i download something and let it take my HDD space and work as my chat client for IRL friends and in game friends. another point .... consider that the current version of Trillian is under 10Mb to download, no special JAVA needed and can to the best of my understanding can replace your software ... i become weary.

i am in no way trying to start a fight, i guess i just expect quality and quickness from any software i use. currently yours is lacking and i can only hope that there will be more detailed descriptions that tell me why i should use an 100Mb chat program over a 20Mb program and why your program is better then doing a good config on other programs that connect to your service.

i only hope you can understand my thoughts on this topic as non-personal and purely analytical.

edit: just read the new post but would still like some answers ... if not just del

edit2: on/off line seems to be working on second computer

Last edited:
Eron²;1422746 said:
your statement makes some logic but on a computer that I know has latest JRE *from JAVA* already installed in the C:\\program files\JAVA dir ....??? why do i need a second install of the current JAVA issued JRE to run this? if its not installing the current JRE what is taking over 75Mb on my HDD (no chat client should take that) ... if your program cannot access the current JRE already installed i think you may want to look into your programing skills before releasing this ... unless your using some mod of the current version of the official JRE (which should be told up front) *that is not ment as a slam just an honest no BS opinion* *i may be missing something but ... i guess ... confused*

It seems you misunderstand how Java programs work.

If a program is distributed with a bundled JRE, then that program will use the runtime jar to set up the Java environment when it is launched, even if the PC it is running on already has Java installed.

This method is helpful for developers, because it allows them to ensure that their program will use the required JRE version, and run on all users' machines, regardless of whether those users have Java installed or not.

Eron²;1422746 said:
am i missing something in either installing JAVA and JRE already or am i missing something on your end ... im not getting it ... tell me like im a 2 year old ... speak it slow and super dumbed down.

In other words, if you run a Java program that ships with a bundled JRE, that program will use the runtime JRE it is bundled with, not the one installed on your PC (unless you somehow manually override this behavior).

Eron²;1422746 said:
i dont need 2 installs of java ... i dont need on/off line issues ... i want a proffesional product to take over what im already using. if you can not provide that i know how to un-install this and config a jabber gateway.
As I said in my earlier post, EntropiansIM does NOT install Java on your PC, it simply carries along with it a runtime JRE that makes it possible to run the client on a machine that does not have Java installed, or which has an unsupported JRE version. That bundled JRE is only used by the attached program (in this case, the EntropiansIM client), and will not be used by any other Java programs you run on your PC. I don't know how to make this any more clear.

In any case, all of this is pretty moot now, since I have made a non-JRE bundled version available, which results in a much smaller download (approx. 11 MB vs. 27 MB), and less disk space once installed (less than 18 MB).

See my post above for more details.

Eron²;1422746 said:
option was selected hince my worry and bringing to your attention, otherwise i wouldnt waste your time.

In that case, I have not noticed this behavior. I will investigate further, thanks for reporting.

Eron²;1422746 said:
im not trying to cut the program down *i like it ... alot* but you have said yourself that you have rushed it, maybe you should have waited, i know im not in the majority but i want 100% when i download something and let it take my HDD space and work as my chat client for IRL friends and in game friends. another point .... consider that the current version of Trillian is under 10Mb to download, no special JAVA needed and can to the best of my understanding can replace your software ... i become weary.

i am in no way trying to start a fight, i guess i just expect quality and quickness from any software i use. currently yours is lacking and i can only hope that there will be more detailed descriptions that tell me why i should use an 100Mb chat program over a 20Mb program and why your program is better then doing a good config on other programs that connect to your service.

i only hope you can understand my thoughts on this topic as non-personal and purely analytical.

Please understand that this project was launched 2 days ago, and will continually improve as newer versions are released. Many of the suggested improvements and odd behaviors only become apparent when many people are using a program.

The EntropiansIM client will improve with time. As mentioned in the first post, members can help in this effort by providing feedback, and contributing to such projects as localising the client into other languages.

Owkies, there are obviously some new emoticons in the new version, everyone should be updating.
Btw. 711, "Check for new updates" doesn't seem to work, or, cannot find the update.

Also some suggestions:
Don't send message if length = 0 (you can now send empty lines).
Could you time that blinking of the app in the taskbar, so it would blink for 10 seconds or so?
Also, when you browse for conferences, resizing is bugged.

Cheers.

Good luck with this! I think this idea is pretty cool, but I already have like three different IM's then there is IRC and vent/teamspeak. But the idea of an EU only IM is great!

Ok, I'm on. + rep 711

Well I'm on (make sure no one masquerades as me :D)

using Miranda as I don't really want another IM proggie right now and like things tidy/compact. Will probably take a looksie at the Entropia one some time out of interest though.

Its nice a idea to have a network setup just for Entropians and nice one for making it standard so we can use existing software. +rep for that one most definitely :wtg:

PS any way we can somehow tie our accounts to our forum accounts or something like that?

I have made several bugfixes and cosmetic tweaks to the client software, and added a couple more emoticon packs, including an EF pack that features many of the more popular EF smilies. The text shortcuts for the EF smilies are identical to the BB code shortcuts used here on EF, for example:

:woot: = :woot:

Just downloaded the update and noticed you took away all the previous emoticons :( I want the heart back..................pretty please :)

Just downloaded the update and noticed you took away all the previous emoticons :( I want the heart back..................pretty please :)

The old default emoticon pack is still available.

You can decide which emoticon pack to use in the Preferences menu:

picture.php

Back