After having had some time to mull over the UI update....

jwestonmoss

Alpha
Francis Merlinfire Sureshot
I have to say I have a very neutral, almost meh opinion of it.

Everything is kind of dull-looking, and there are lots of things i had been able to set up very conveniently that now require extra clicks to accomplish. Setting aside the remaining bugs which I expect to get fixed eventually, I really just have to wonder, what did we really gain here? It just feels like we lost functionality and convenience. What was the goal here?

The reason and goals were specified in the original announcement:

The old UI elements are a major factor in the Frames Per Second (FPS) drop linked to graphic lag issues. The decision to update the UI was rooted in improving the performance, achieving cohesive design, and resolving navigational challenges presented by diverse outdated window designs. We also recognized a need for visual enhancement, particularly in unifying the UI’s appearance, including artistic elements, especially for fonts, color schemes, buttons, and text fields. An overhaul of the entire UI system was necessary to facilitate the addition of new features and functionality in the future.

Essentially, the new UI will greatly reduce some types of lag, provide a more cohesive design, and make future UI-related development much faster and easier.

The reason and goals were specified in the original announcement:

Essentially, the new UI will greatly reduce some types of lag, provide a more cohesive design, and make future UI-related development much faster and easier.
What exactly is cohesive design?

Having a single icon yellow when every single icon in the game is white doesn't seem like cohesive design to me, but maybe my definition of cohesive is wrong. Please enlighten?

Other than that, love the new, refreshed look! :D

I understand that MindArk had to replace the old UI in order to compete with the look and feel of other games. And to fix lag.

I do agree that we have lost functionality and ease-of-use. I am hopeful that our voices in the UI Feedback and UI Bug Report threads were heard and the upcoming patch next week will return much of what is missing.

Fresh, more minimal, and ability to customize are good changes. I do feel like some loss of convenience and I question the cohesion (my feedback sent regarding HoF board looking outdated now). This now feels like a thread that should be in the feedback session.

I do question how much lag has been reduced and if anyone has some real data/numbers on FPS or other metrics. I still have black shadows and game lags upon load in - seems same as before in this aspect.

I understand that MindArk had to replace the old UI in order to compete with the look and feel of other games. And to fix lag.

I do agree that we have lost functionality and ease-of-use. I am hopeful that our voices in the UI Feedback and UI Bug Report threads were heard and the upcoming patch next week will return much of what is missing.
forgot about these threads. i'll direct my concerns there.

I still have black shadows and game lags upon load in - seems same as before in this aspect.
It's usually a combo of software and hardware and not everything is the software's fault. Keep in mind that this game is more complex than a text-adventure or PacMan. I don't know what your hardware setup is, but:
  • a fast HDD (better SSD) helps to speed up loading the textures from disk
  • a fast CPU extracts the usually compressed stuff quicker
  • a fast RAM/VRAM is always a good idea (also obviously the more the better)
  • a fast GPU helps with its rendering and pipelines to store, calculate and render stuff
I also have slight delays when entering the game or moving to another area, but over the years it got better (with the same hardware) and I don't have to relog that often anymore. While the performance may have become better with the new UI, the FPS can still drop when opening the codecs. I don't know, maybe I'm too old to be annoyed too much by that.

As usual the best graphics and the least latency you have IRL :) EU still is a computer game after all...

It's usually a combo of software and hardware and not everything is the software's fault. Keep in mind that this game is more complex than a text-adventure or PacMan. I don't know what your hardware setup is, but:
  • a fast HDD (better SSD) helps to speed up loading the textures from disk
  • a fast CPU extracts the usually compressed stuff quicker
  • a fast RAM/VRAM is always a good idea (also obviously the more the better)
  • a fast GPU helps with its rendering and pipelines to store, calculate and render stuff
I also have slight delays when entering the game or moving to another area, but over the years it got better (with the same hardware) and I don't have to relog that often anymore. While the performance may have become better with the new UI, the FPS can still drop when opening the codecs. I don't know, maybe I'm too old to be annoyed too much by that.

As usual the best graphics and the least latency you have IRL :) EU still is a computer game after all...
The weird texture flashing/shadowing seems like it started sometime in mid-late 2022. It wasn't present when I first started playing in 2021.

I also upgraded to a pretty spicy gaming rig about 6 months ago and the problem didn't go away.

Back