ATTRIBUTES mean NOTHING

RickEngland

Elite
Society
Jurai Blood
Rickard Rick England
The announcement by Mindark last night that attributes basically have zero impact on our avatars, for me was a tragedy of epic proportions. A six year illusion shattered instantly with the reality that the only pure thing left in Entropia was in fact an enormous lie. I was generally emotionally in shock and sadness, and maybe managed one hour sleep.

We believed that somehow these small but important attributes were specially related to our professions in some mystical way that enabled us the right to skill in that profession with some feeling and degree of safety that we had earned it over many years.

For most of us, this is more than a game it is a lifestyle. We have devoted years to it, yet Mindark speak of it in ones and zeros, I really do not think they understand the devoted participants mindset at all. This goes beyond addiction, this is an emotional attachment to a world that we genuinely love to be a part of. Yet last night all this belief was smashed, swept away by the shocking truth that all of it is just numbers with no value, nothing more nothing less.

This is more than a change to the mission system, that’s why I have started a new post. It means that when Mindark were putting together the original mission rewards they laughed at us for chasing something that had no real value in game. It was ALL an incredible LIE.

Where do we go from here? Missions now with attributes mean nothing, because attributes mean nothing other than some HP gain. You know sometimes Mindark have a strategy and ideas that really impress me. They’re true masters of making something from nothing, but at other times they can rip your love for the entropia universe apart.

Attributes aside what is the true value of any of our skills to us. Is it really as simple as once you reach level 50 evade we will let you hunt Atrox Stalkers. Do these skills trigger any special loot, I’m not sure anymore if our hard earned skills really mean anything.

This is not a game we play for a few months, it is designed to take years to skill to decent levels, the management at Mindark need to understand the emotional attachment after such devotion. This goes beyond money, and they know that.

I will try and find some time today to read new posts on the original thread about mission rewards since last night, but our love for the original attributes will be hard to win back.

I now feel saddness for Nighthawks and Jokers skill lists, based on attributes.

All the best folks, please feel free to pour your heart out.

Rick.

edit: It is a shame that attributes dont have much effect on professions, and maybe i did take it a little to heart.

Anyhow this is what Charlie said

it will be easier to get skills instead of attributes that barely do anything. QUOTE]

Last edited:
To some extent i understand what you are saying, but i think you took it out of context. Attributes do mean something important.
They are the only semi-reliable measure of a person's "effort". Be it as a badge of honor or a personal goalpost, attributes have an important role.

Furthermore, strength now plays a very large role in carrying capacity. Agility has, off and on and to different degrees, helped with running speed. I still maintain hope that the other attributes (particularly the rarest, stamina) will be given special status along with strength.

Remember that he was talking about possibly reducing the easily-gained attribute rewards from missions exactly because attributes do mean something.

Last edited:
Agility - makes you run faster.
Stamina - gives nice hp.
Strength - gives a little hp and allows you to carry more weigth.
Intelligence - i guess it only contribute to professions.
Psyche - Contributes to mf professions

All these things we knew before this.
Find a new player with low agility and run with them, you will outrun them by far so atleast agility is very important and to me attributes is as important as ever no matter what they say, attributes is hard to gain, skills you can buy.

The announcement by Mindark last night that attributes basically have zero impact on our avatars, for me was a tragedy of epic proportions. A six year illusion shattered instantly with the reality that the only pure thing left in Entropia was in fact an enormous lie. I was generally emotionally in shock and sadness, and maybe managed one hour sleep.

I think you are taking those statements too much to the heart. But also, what Charlie said about attributes was rather cruel and one sided. There are really two sides to attributes -

On the technical side, an increase in an attribute point might not contribute terribly much to the professional levels, and secondary benefits of higher attributes, like increased carry weight with more strength or faster running speed has not been developed by Mindark much, and one of these is rather recent. Still no direct effect from Psyche or Intelligence. But it is not somehow the fault of the attributes, it is the fault of MA not getting their act together.

On emotional and social side, attributes are almost the only untradable thing in this Universe, and as such, are an important measuring stick and the only thing that really makes up our avatars. Have you more agility or psyche or strength? Its the one part of your avatar you can never lose, until you delete it. Its the foundation of your avatars health, to which then other skills (which you might or might not have at some future point) add to. In this aspect, there is nothing more important than attributes.

Isn't it bizzare than MA/Calypso makes official avatars with 200 for all attributes and then tells us these are not actually important? Why not make the official avatars have 1 for attribute then if it is such a minor thing?

I still maintain hope that the other attributes (particularly the rarest, stamina) will be given special status along with strength.

I agree very much with this.

I think its unfair that Strength and Agility (gained mainly by Melee and Guns) give nice "bonus perks" like increased speed and carrying ability while Intelligence and Psyche (gained mainly by Mindforce, Crafting and Mining) gives... uh... a small profession increase. Pretty much.

I created a thread earlier this year requesting a change to that, asking for Intelligence and Psyche to also get some bonus with similar usefulness. Needless to say, it was met with very mixed feelings although the poll result was 85% in favor.

Anyways, here is a link to that thread if you are interested in reading the suggestions or discussion, or revive the issue in the hopes that MindArk will see it (again):

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?221785

Last edited:
In the Universe where "money talks", anything that can't be bought/sold can't have huge impact.
Yes, it is largely just a symbol. No, it doesn't have enormous effect on anything really...

Still, some symbols may have huge monetary value.
Imagine you could sell, say, 1 point of Agility on auction... you'd better not put any BO on it! ;)

Isn't it bizzare than MA/Calypso makes official avatars with 200 for all attributes and then tells us these are not actually important? Why not make the official avatars have 1 for attribute then if it is such a minor thing?

this one made me rofl !! thx!

Good news for me I rerolled a 2003 avatar for a new one

This happened just now :

entropia_2012-04-24_14-03-40-98.jpg

In order to provide a fair, exciting and challenging experience for all Entropia Universe participants.....

You'll explain me how this can be fair...

So why would we be sad when noobs do better than people investing their time and money, skilling for years, ?...

Good news for me I rerolled a 2003 avatar for a new one

Yeah lol.

Are you calling Kikki a noob ? Since when does a noob have 75 agility and medium health ?

This happened just now :

entropia_2012-04-24_14-03-40-98.jpg

You'll explain me how this can be fair...

So why would we be sad when noobs do better than people investing their time and money, skilling for years, ?...

Yeah lol.

Off-topic but what is wrong with that daikiba HoF? Judging by how often it happens it can be viewed as the ATH version of daikiba. If thats your proof on inequality then I'm sure theres better examples out there in the ATH forum.

The announcement by Mindark last night that attributes basically have zero impact on our avatars, for me was a tragedy of epic proportions.

it will be easier to get skills instead of attributes that barely do anything. QUOTE]

sorry can i see that???? just my curiosity
thx
dc

never mind i found it thx

Last edited:
...if the attributes aint nothing special....why nerf if?......

Last edited:
Are you calling Kikki a noob ? Since when does a noob have 75 agility and medium health ?

I named nobody, i just showed an example, then did 2 quotes.
I'm sorry for you if you do not read things correctly.

Off-topic but what is wrong with that daikiba HoF? Judging by how often it happens it can be viewed as the ATH version of daikiba. If thats your proof on inequality then I'm sure theres better examples out there in the ATH forum.

Hey, when you quote someone, do the quote without changing the meaning of it.
Now, if you dont understand things, just STFU...

Ak :).

Hey, when you quote someone, do the quote without changing the meaning of it.
Now, if you dont understand things, just STFU...

Ak :).

You obviously need to convey your message better if everyone doesn't 'understand' except you.

You tried to convey it is ridiculous for a Daikiba to HoF and unfair at the same time. Atleast that is what I interpreted from it. And my reply to that is I don't see how a Daikiba HoF is an example of anything. If a particular mob is easy to kill and drops constant HoFs like freebies then sure. Also if you think hunting more 'deserves' better than someone who hunts less, interpret it from a different sense. Both take equal risks with each mob they kill, bomb they drop etc. If you have the capacity to type coherently then do so.

Much better than "I'm right you're wrong, stfu"

Actually, you did call Kikki a noob, claimed it was unfair that an older player got a HoF as big as that an older player did (with no knowledge of the cost involved to reach the point of getting that HoF) and then turned very rude when people did not "understand" the message you were trying and failing to convey.

:dunce:

Actually, you did call Kikki a noob, claimed it was unfair that an older player got a HoF as big as that an older player did (with no knowledge of the cost involved to reach the point of getting that HoF) and then turned very rude when people did not "understand" the message you were trying and failing to convey.

:dunce:

As nighthawk said, you have no idea what was involved to reach both..

and

attributes- Do have a point, but not as much compared to skills.

Well, next time i'll do 3 differents posts...

And i'll be so happy to beat Nighthawk and Mega in the race of the biggest poster in this forum :).

Now move on lol...

While attributes have some impact on avatars' characteristics, it's so negligible that hardly anyone takes that seriously into account. The truth is, attributes always were merely a penis extender, and just as any RL penis extenders like sports-cars or luxury watches they have value beyond that of any useful things.

It's so sweet when ran out of arguments to shove your attributes in the opponent's face. "Dude, how dare you argue with someone who has agility of THAT size?!". If you also can excel him in ET stats, that makes a dick 1 mile long.

:D

I suppose that among the many loot theories, there's one that says attributes directly affect your loot returns.

Yeah before this turns way off-topic into an 'Akbar Crucification' event :laugh:. We all stuff up one time another.

I understand how shattering it is for MA to spill the beans on how much attributes actually mean especially if you devote a big amount of time and effort into your avatar. But like others said, I believe attributes are not even close to 'nothing'. In fact it has been very useful. Try making a new avatar and you will instantly notice the difference. Back when TP runs were 'runs', my mentor had to wait every minute as I would disappear from the radar.

For example ,personally, strength and agility is much more to me than nothing considering I mine full-time. Running that extra second faster on FOMA saves me from daspletor mauling my ass and also lets me pull mobs away from my claims more effectively. Being able to carry more ores for a miner like me that prefers to drop all my bombs before I drill is a plus. Now thats personal experience and some will think my examples are ridiculous and actually show how little attributes matter but to me thats a big part. To each their own; I'm sure because attributes no longer mean as much does not mean they are entirely nothing. As others have said, its non-chippable and these little things that attribute contributes to, atleast cannot be done by newbs with big ped cards.

I only think that a Diabika young sould give loot but never more then a stronger mob.:wise:

What do i talking about this game is planet calypso, i would never forget when i got "no loot" from a mulmin elite looter he had about a bit over 17000 hp. :)

So the game is "dynamic" and "balanced".... (and---> "fair")

Last edited:
The truth is, attributes always were merely a penis extender, :D

I didnt see it like, I saw have loads of Pysche (78) as some way of opening my mind to some hidden power.

I seriously thought that having 81 strength helped with the strike of a sword to hit harder, thus hit better damage.

my mistake has obviously been skilling everything to medium, when I should've focued on one skill maybe, and become uber in that.

I will not forget as a noob, seeing an EU avatar at old PA kill a bibo in one shot, by just looking at it and a funny sound came. For years I wondered if some magical unlockable skill, and maybe having loads of psyche did that.

If you can't have dreams in this place, then what is the point?

I hope I didn't get Charlie into trouble, becasue I quite like the guy. He works hard on development. We love the game so at times it's hard to control emotions.

Rick.

ps: I don't need a penis extender :)

Seems to me Charlie was making a comment more about the fact that non-attribute skills have more affect on our avatars than do the attribute skills, which has been pretty widely known fact forever. Nothing new here, he's just saying they will make more of an effort to give us skill rewards rather than attributes in future...that's a good thing by me.

People should really keep in mind how they react to comments from MA. On one hand we all ask MA reps to be more candid and give us more info, but then on the other hand they see threads like this that "you crushed my dreams" based on how you interpret an off-handed comment. It's no wonder they refrain from making comments very often if every one will be picked apart to the nth degree and potentially taken out of context.

Basically revealed nothing new about skills/attributes, just that non-attribute skills would be given out more in rewards in the future. The world is not coming to an end people...

I only think that a Diabika young sould give loot but never more then a stronger mob.:wise:

What do i talking about this game is planet calypso, i would never forget when i got "no loot" from a mulmin elite looter he had about a bit over 17000 hp. :)

Thank you, at least 1 (and some discreet +reps) who understood :).

People should really keep in mind how they react to comments from MA. On one hand we all ask MA reps to be more candid and give us more info, but then they see threads like this that "you crushed my dreams" based on how you interpret an off-handed comment. It's no wonder they refrain from making comments very often if every one will be picked apart to the nth degree and potentially taken out of context.

Well I do agree with your statement, however entropia has always been a roller-coaster of emotion. Massive ups, and downs. but you have to admit that this mission change was a bit of a shock, and give it a few days all would've calmed down again.

I think anyone that has been here for 5 years+ even 1 year+ is testiment of our support for the company. I don't mean to come across negative, but on the other side some things need to be said. It's like front page news!!!!

I will support MA when its due and I do all the time, but I will have a voice too. You can't respect a person that kisses your arse, besides it makes MA think abit.

on a plus note then, and big thank you to MA for bringing this to our attention now, and providing time to get some missions in before the change.

Rixk.

Can you explain me why you think that a Daikiba young cannot give more loot then a stronger mob?

You know how many ppl hunt Daikiba and cycle peds on them? So it is only normal that a Daikiba will HOF now and then.

and I even saw Puny's HOF...

Can you explain me why you think that a Daikiba young cannot give more loot then a stronger mob?

You know how many ppl hunt Daikiba and cycle peds on them? So it is only normal that a Daikiba will HOF now and then.

and I even saw Puny's HOF...

Common theme: Equality in EU is only important when it is beneficial. If you don't hunt daikibas then of course daikibas don't deserve their versions of ATH.

I think it's actually only fair that you can get a "biggie" from any mob in the game. It simply means that once you hit the point at which you can get a bigger payback, the payback is not dependent on what you are just doing. You get it right then and there, even if you are just hunting one of the smaller mobs.

Last edited:
if the attributes are not so important then why do they make it harder for us to achieve?

They say that the skill will be of more use to us than atributes, why do they want to give us skills over attributes?

Just seems rather strange to me, i guess the attributes are more important than they are letting on

Back