Impact of skills on professions

ok, back from the drawing board :laugh: i just got new data, so i have found only 1 set of parameters matching all the data sets. i have tried around 700 million combination of parameters, so it looks promising, but the bad news is that all %'s don't add up to 100, but to 97.

Texture Pattern Matching: 40%
Coloring: 5%
Carpentry: 4%
Make Textile: 10%
Material Comprehension: 12%
Color Matching: 3%
Tailoring: 6%
Fashion Design: 6%
Surface Composition: 8%
Quality Sense: 3%

i've entered this set into the chipping optimizer, and i have edited the previous post so people is not misled by wrong data.

what to do with the remaining 3%? no idea. probably another skill involved? no clue... we need highly skilled material designers to pay attention to skill gains, i guess there is no other way.

I'm a little surprised not to see Intelligence in there and I wouldn't be surprised to see a general skill like Dexterity give some influence as it does in Tailoring. Any way you can get Etopia to try and check both Intelligence and Dexterity? Being highly skilled already he may not see skill gains for those two except rarely in comparison. Just a thought.

I'm a little surprised not to see Intelligence in there and I wouldn't be surprised to see a general skill like Dexterity give some influence as it does in Tailoring. Any way you can get Etopia to try and check both Intelligence and Dexterity? Being highly skilled already he may not see skill gains for those two except rarely in comparison. Just a thought.

it was etopia, as quoted by jimmy before, who provided the list of contributing skills, so i've taken them for granted.
then, if he could go to the chipping optimizer and enter his data, it would be great to have a confirmation of the current accuracy for his levels, agreed.

They're both safely not in there. I still have not unlocked Material Designer as a profession and even at 1% either Dexterity or Intelligence would give me more than the required 0.1 profession levels to unlock it.

it was etopia, as quoted by jimmy before, who provided the list of contributing skills, so i've taken them for granted.
then, if he could go to the chipping optimizer and enter his data, it would be great to have a confirmation of the current accuracy for his levels, agreed.

I will do an other chek in 1 week , for the skill that contribute , and send my skill to improve your tool.
But i was the first surprised by the list , and i was verz carefull to be sure there no error.also it was made just after MA created the profetion , so they might have change it a bit since then.

I am pretty sure that i gained Manufature Methodology while clicking some Textures yesterday (Not Material Extraction Methodology!).

Is that possible? (Didnt take a screenshot though :( )

I am pretty sure that i gained Manufature Methodology while clicking some Textures yesterday (Not Material Extraction Methodology!).

there is still a missing 6% to get to 100% in the current skills breakdown for material manufacturer, so i guess it could be possible that manu meth is the missing skill.

it would be good if you check the current accuracy of your material manufacturer level, as calculated by the chipping optimizer or however, and check if there is a noticeable deviation from your real level.

Presumably you hit level 40 Material Manufacturer too

Presumably you hit level 40 Material Manufacturer too

maybe he got level 40+ in other crafting profession, and unlocked Manu Meth that way.

Thanks for the guides :)

Seems there are now two new professions:
Tier upgrader
Enhancer Manufacturer

I'd give you my skills and profession standings for these but i barely have enhancer manufacturer and Tier upgrader is only just above lvl 1 so I doubt I'm going to be much help working out what's used.

I'm a crafting noob my highest lvl is 6.

But I'm already lvl 9 in Tier upgrading, is that normal?
I havent done any Tier upgrade yet.

Merry Xmas all:)

Last edited:
I'm a crafting noob my highest lvl is maybe 5.

But I'm already lvl 9 in Tier upgrading, is that normal?
I havent done any Tier upgrade yet.

Merry Xmas all:)

My highest crafting skill seems to be tier upgrader by quite a large amount. Seems it is easiest to progress.

I'm lvl 5.5 Tier upgrader. About lvl 14.8 in electronics enginere (my highest crafting proffesion). So it's listed under crafting, but from the litle data we have so far it looks like it's not typical crafting skills that contribute the most :scratch2:

Tier Upgrader 14
Enhanser manufacture 9

Tier Upgrader 14
Enhanser manufacture 9

i'm affraid that, to solve the new professions, we need more accuracy. my suggestion would be:

- alternative 1 (chipping):
screenshot the profession levels and skill levels before and after inserting or extracting skills (specially general and/or crafting skills). this is the most straightforward and accurate method.

- alternative 2 (calculation)
1. we need to find out the involved skills, by watching the skill gains while doing those professions. if you get skill gains, please report them here, because this means that this skill has an influence in that profession.
2. once we know the involved skills, we need people to report their skill levels (rounding to closest integer) and profession levels (with two decimal points). if anyone does not feel like calculating profession levels with 2 dp, just send a screenshot and i'll make the calcs.

Hi ...

Not sure it will help much (if not the opposite) but i just reached lvl 6 Tier Upgrader Pro standing after an Anatomy skill gain !!! Wich looks really weird to me :scratch2:

Edit : I was shooting a merp young ... so nothing related to crafting or upgrading

Engineering matters in this tiering prof. A friend chipped out some and dropped 3-4 levels.

Hi ...

Not sure it will help much (if not the opposite) but i just reached lvl 6 Tier Upgrader Pro standing after an Anatomy skill gain !!! Wich looks really weird to me :scratch2:

Edit : I was shooting a merp young ... so nothing related to crafting or upgrading

Wow! Thanks for reporting this! Was Anatomy the only skill you gained at the time of the level-up, or did you get several gains at once, and anatomy was only the last in the list?

Hi ...

it definitely helps a lot. we can write down anatomy as another contributing skill. now, if we can make someone chip in/out anatomy, we can nail down the % of contribution to the profession.

Engineering matters in this tiering prof. A friend chipped out some and dropped 3-4 levels.

yeah, it contributes 11% (could be 10%) to Tier Upgrader, and 20% to Enhancers Manuf.

I'll be doing my monthly skill count tomorrow so I'll give you some data on tier professions then.

Wow! Thanks for reporting this! Was Anatomy the only skill you gained at the time of the level-up, or did you get several gains at once, and anatomy was only the last in the list?

Yes Anatomy was the only skill gain.

I'm currently working on reducing the gap betweem My Laser Pistoleer Hit & Ranged Laser Dmg Pro Standings by shooting merps with an Opalo SGA + A101 ... and by the way it is extremely economical as (at the moment) i did not loose on any single runs :D

As promised, here are my tier professions and all my skills, hope this helps:

tier-profs.jpg

Attributes
Agility: 76
Health: 166
Intelligence: 54
Psyche: 33
Stamina: 9
Strength: 46

General
Alertness: 2692
Athletics: 3843
Bravado: 1288
Coolness: 4786
Courage: 4796
Dexterity: 4494
Perception: 3977
Serendipity: 5335

Combat
Aim: 4776
Clubs: 223
Combat Reflexes: 4972
Combat Sense: 4548
Handgun: 8035
Heavy Melee Weapons: 148
Heavy Weapons: 1
Inflict Melee Damage: 1128
Inflict Ranged Damage: 4941
Light Melee Weapons: 1285
Longblades: 644
Marksmanship: 6930
Martial Arts: 802
Melee Combat: 2099
Melee Damage Assessment: 1434
Power Fist: 3087
Ranged Damage Assessment: 6707
Rifle: 4464
Shortblades: 2377
Support Weapon Systems: 1080
Weapons Handling: 5862
Whip: 1
Wounding: 5470

Defense
Avoidance: 2152
Dispense Decoy: 4
Dodge: 3507
Evade: 4089

Medical
Anatomy: 7358
Diagnosis: 2250
First Aid: 3975
Medicine: 1551
Treatment: 1038

Science
Analysis: 694
Animal Lore: 413
Animal Taming: 277
Biology: 589
Botany: 443
Computer: 571
Electronics: 458
Engineering: 2323
Genetics: 21
Mechanics: 814
Zoology: 349

Information
Mentor: 1
Probing: 520
Scan Animal: 1363
Scan Human: 948
Scan Mutant: 81
Scan Robot: 515

Mining
Drilling: 1028
Geology: 988
Metallurgy: 342
Mining: 1451
Prospecting: 1200
Surveying: 963

Construction
Armor Technology: 78
Attachments Technology: 27
BLP Weaponry Technology: 8145
Blueprint Comprehension: 1001
Carpentry: 477
Explosive Projectile Weaponry Technology: 1302
Gauss Weaponry Technology: 1
Laser Weaponry Technology: 4896
Machinery: 283
Manufacture Armor: 181
Manufacture Attachments: 33
Manufacture Electronic Equipment: 777
Manufacture Enhancers: 1
Manufacture Mechanical Equipment: 1435
Manufacture Metal Equipment: 577
Manufacture Tools: 531
Manufacture Weapons: 271
Material Extraction Methodology: 545
Particle Beamer Weaponry Technology: 1
Plasma Weaponry Technology: 1125
Texture Engineering: 1453
Tier Upgrading: 1
Tools Technology: 313
Weapons Technology: 106
Wood Carving: 2
Wood Processing: 2

Tailoring
Color Matching: 302
Coloring: 453
Make Textile: 765
Tailoring: 494
Texture Pattern Matching: 267

Mindforce
Biotropy: 118
Concentration: 757
Psychotropy: 1190
Pyrotropy: 1
Sweat Gatherer: 1576

Beauty
Body Sculpting: 1
Face Sculpting: 1
Hair Stylist: 8
Plastic Surgery: 10

Social
Promoter Rating: 1205

This thread details the impact skills have on profession levels. It is basically a summary of the conclusions drawn from numerous threads in the EF Skills forum, such as the chipping thread, the attributes thread and many others.

A huge number of people have contributed to this study. I consider the 'project' to have begun over a year ago with D'Angelo's thread, the aim of which was to find out how to calculate your Laser Sniper professional standing from the skills that affect it. Great progress was made in that thread, but we didn't quite get there. Since then, MA implemented the professions screens which has given us a lot more information to go on. We now have many professions completely solved, and most of the rest solved apart from the contributions from certain unlockable skills.

If you have a reasonable level in a rare-ish unlockable skill and would like to contribute, please post here or PM me. There's a list of skills that are still unresolved on page 7 of this thread. We need your relevant skill levels and profession standings, which are easily obtained using NRF, or alternatively via screenshots of your skills and professions.

How it works

There is a post for each profession. The skills and attributes that contribute to that profession are listed and their weights given. The profession level is calculated by multiplying each skill by its percentage weight, summing, and dividing the result by 100.

Example 1: There's a Botany chip in auction that will give you 1500 levels of Botany. You wish to work out how much that would increase your Animal Investigator level.

- Since Botany contributes 8% to the profession, chipping 1500 levels of it will gain you 1500*0.08=120 in your profession standing.
- So you will gain 120/100=1.2 profession levels

Example 2: If you have level 30.4 in Animal Investigator and wish to chip out some Zoology without falling below level 30 in the profession you can:

- Chip out an amount of Zoology that contributes 0.4 levels of Animal Investigator.
- 0.4 levels of Animal Investigator corresponds to a profession standing of 0.4*100=40
- Since Zoology contributes 2% to Animal Investigator you can chip out 40/0.02=2000 levels of Zoology.

Example 3: If you have level 28.4 in Animal Investigator and wish to chip Scan Animal in order to get the profession up to level 30 you require:

- An increase of 1.6 levels in Animal Investigator.
- This corresponds to an increase of 1.6*100=160 in your profession standing.
- Since Scan Animal contributes 46% to the profession, you need to chip 160/0.46=348 levels of Scan Animal

Contents

Professions are listed alphabetically.

Page 2 - begins with Brawler (Dmg)
Page 3 - begins with Gauss Sniper (Hit)
Page 4 - begins with Mechanical Engineer
Page 5 - begins with Plasma Sniper (Hit)
Page 6 - begins with Ranged Laser (Dmg)
Page 7 - begins with Teleporter, and also includes Health, issues remaining to be resolved, acknowledgements and other links and facts
Pages 8 - 11 - contain discussion
Page 12 - contains new professions added after this thread was made (Grenades, textures)
Page 13 - contains continued discussion

tanks for info

Updated page 12 with the new professions. I've taken the breakdown listed on Jdegre's chipping optimiser.

Let me know if there's any other gaps that need updating.

Updated page 12 with the new professions. I've taken the breakdown listed on Jdegre's chipping optimiser.

Let me know if there's any other gaps that need updating.
melee combat confirmed for tier upgrading, as I doubt power fist skill is used for it :)

With last item I upgraded I got Evade skillgain, is this already known for TirUpgrader?

Something weired but obviously this counts in.

Back