MA David Simmonds Interview on Entropiaradio.com

Status

Dion Red Strike

Stalker
Society
SoF
Dion Red Strike
Howdy Howdy!

(I like starting my posts with a general hello sorta statement)

I will be doing an interview with David Simmonds. This interview will be on entropiaradio.com exclusively for the first week or so, then I may post it somewhere...

But, anyhow,

David is the Business Development Director.

His main duties include negotiations with companies interested in becoming a partner with Mindark on some level, from Affiliates to Full planet building Partner.

I will be asking him questions related to his job. Being the uber nice person I am, I won't be pricking him with needles and asking him questions he can't answer.

So, I am inviting (and respond quick, because I'll be interviewing him tomorrow) people to now add some questions to my list. David and I will pick out questions from this thread to ask/answer.

Don't be a fucking moron and try and have him ask a question in which he can't respond to. I, once again, will NOT ask him questions that are obviously negative.

David is a great guy, and I invite you all to listen to entropiaradio.com . If I thought he was an idiot, I surely wouldn't be interviewing him, and he probably wouldn't still be employed at Mindark.

~Red

EDIT: Questions so far that I like and will be asked;
Me said:
1) David, Remind us once again of your job title, and your duties...

2) So you are in charge of setting up relationships with other companies then, other than CK, are you currently working with any other companies? Are there any companies you can name?

3) Obviously Entropia Universe has become an excellent platform for other companies to get into and develop their own planet, what do you say or do to get with other companies and how do you explain it to them?

4) So, when can we expect to see planet Vivendi, or Planet Universal?

5) If you had one person at Mindark you'd like to PVP, who would it be? Why is optional

7) Getting back to your job functions, How long did it take for you to develope a relationship with CK, and what do you think was the defining moment?
questions from other people I like...
Can anyone "start a business" in Entropia, or do you have to have a million dollar backup to get started? In a similar fashion, what are the requirements to even start a discussion about developing your own world/planet on the Entropia platform?
Will there be any companies ingame with smaller intentions than a whole planet?
Will some of the companies add or improve activities for us to do or just slab down a selling booth and ads?
Given that other companies will be allowed to create planets within the EU, to what extent will features currently in EU, such as items, looting & creatures apply to their systems?
I'd be interested to know how Creative Kingdoms came to be involved in EU. Did MA approach them etc etc
I'm not sure about the question below... it may not be possible for him to answer...

Will MA keep it's focus on developping their part of the world or is MA really aiming for Entropia Universe to be more lika a platform and the worlds that are there now to be promotional demo's for other companies?

Last edited:
Here`s one.

Will there be any other means to travel between planets without using spaceships such as teleports like the one used on Crystal Palace to teleport back to the planet?

Can anyone "start a business" in Entropia, or do you have to have a million dollar backup to get started? In a similar fashion, what are the requirements to even start a discussion about developing your own world/planet on the Entropia platform?

[edit]I don't know how far you want to take this question, if you pick it at all. What I'm aiming at is Mindark's goal the Entropia will develop into the 3d internet of tomorrow. And today anyone can make a website, so what I want to know is when Entropia will start becomming more open to a regular person - or if it never will be at all (ie everything controled by Mindark forever).[/edit]

Don't be a fucking moron and try and have him ask a question in which he can't respond to. I, once again, will NOT ask him questions that are obviously negative.

David is a great guy, and I invite you all to listen to entropiaradio.com . If I thought he was an idiot, I surely wouldn't be interviewing him, and he probably wouldn't still be employed at Mindark.

~Red

A million questions forming, but I'll shut up. :laugh:

So far the clothing shop hasn't been very impressive.

Will some of the companies add or improve activities for us to do or just slab down a selling booth and ads?

Well, good luck on the interview i'll be listening.

That's a great question actually. Konve my friend, gimme some more!

Here`s one.

Will there be any other means to travel between planets without using spaceships such as teleports like the one used on Crystal Palace to teleport back to the planet?
Dude, 1) Obviously he counldn't answer that if he knew the answer 2) That's not even remotely close to what his job entails.

Good questions

Well, good luck on the interview i'll be listening.
Well, we'll have one listener then!
:yay:

ok ok, here`s another:

MA stated on their website that want to offer Entropia as a franchise to other developers interested in starting a similar project. Thus offering access to a stable and tested platform and to their userbase instead of becoming a direct competitor. Are some of the incoming planets "rival" companies that want to start their own game inside Entropia?

Will MA keep it's focus on developping their part of the world or is MA really aiming for Entropia Universe to be more lika a platform and the worlds that are there now to be promotional demo's for other companies?

ok ok, here`s another:

MA stated on their website that want to offer Entropia as a franchise to other developers interested in starting a similar project. Thus offering access to a stable and tested platform and to their userbase instead of becoming a direct competitor. Are some of the incoming planets "rival" companies that want to start their own game inside Entropia?

Much better :) That being said, I can definately say yes to this one, even though I don't work for MA. David told me in Los Angeles that is was 'wild, a copmany that you would think would be our competitor is actually joining in with us and making their own planet", in regards to Creative Kingdom.

But, if David finds that question agreeable, I will ask him, and I'm sure he'll respond with more info on possible entries into the 'franchise' ;)

Well, when will we see more "RL" services displayed and sold through Entropia? And at what level will this be? For example will we see RL real estates be displayed and visited in Entropia (through guest accounts?) or maybe order home-deliverey pizza for PED?

Another great question

I'll be listening...for sure.

This is so exciting! No questions....but the ones that are being asked are good so far...can't wait to hear more and the answers.

Oh wait...i do have one...i was in the Genesis Trade Center the other day and on the big screen in the back I swear I saw an advertisement for McDonalds. Was i imagining this or was it really there? Is there a list of other companies that have signed up for advertising within EU and if so can we maybe get a list so we can be on the look out for them.

~Kate~

I have one Dion. I am not sure if he will answer it but here it goes:

How will the subject of avatar integration to other planet partners be addressed? Will we have just a base avatar that will be able to move from planet to planet with your PED card or will certain base functions like clothing, skills, and certain items be transferable to all planets? Will future planet partners have to adapt to certain "basics" like clothes, skills, and select items or will the participants have to adapt to each individual planet?

I think there is a lot of uncertainty when it comes to just how cohesive the Entropia Universe might be. Clarifying it now might help people understand just what to expect as new planets are implemented.

Also is MindArk actively seeking planet or business partners who will develop brand name items for Entropia Universe for brand name recognition rather than just advertising real life products that do not enhance the EU experience?

I seem to recall an article in Wired magazine about ingame advertising and how it was basically overlooked as back drop unless it was some how implemented into the game to enhance portions of it. For example: Instead of having a Meckel and Loch ML-35 we would have a Heckler and Koch ML-35.

It would integrate certain real world businesses with like items in EU giving them advertising power in brand recognition. In conjunction with print ads on the Massive screens it might give advertising more back bone in EU and bring in more Ad dollars.

Thanks for looking these over :)

My question is about the details of the framework that is offered to "partners"...

( I'll also preface this question with a request that the answer please be a bit more explanatory than a standard PR response.....)

Given that other companies will be allowed to create planets within the EU, to what extent will features currently in EU, such as items, looting & creatures apply to their systems? Will they be allowed to determine their own loot distribution if their planet offers hunting & crafting? Will they be allowed to create and maintain items that are unique to their planet yet able to be traded elsewhere in EU?

ask a question to david.... hmm

* what in his opinion is the best selling point for EU, and what is EU's biggest drawback.... in his opinion ofc.
* What does MA plan to do to bring in new players?
* Are MA worried by the currency crisis?
* Does MA still intend to do a IPO bearing in mind the unstable markets atm

and.....

* Would David play EU if he didnt work at MA?

i'll leave the question about smartass wiki coments for another day ;) lol

I'll be listening...for sure.

This is so exciting! No questions....but the ones that are being asked are good so far...can't wait to hear more and the answers.

Oh wait...i do have one...i was in the Genesis Trade Center the other day and on the big screen in the back I swear I saw an advertisement for McDonalds. Was i imagining this or was it really there? Is there a list of other companies that have signed up for advertising within EU and if so can we maybe get a list so we can be on the look out for them.

~Kate~

You can always ask Microsof...aeehh...Massive Inc. (I doubt someone will publish such a list anyway)

My Question is related to my Hogglo-Plush-Toy Factory. If I cant build it, why there is nothing MA can do ?

I mean, the small figurines were already a 1st step, but where are the PR-gadgets ? Posters ? CDs ? Hogglo Plush Toy ? PE Chess game ? Drone Action Figure with blinking arms ? Or will CKA do this job ? Releasing acid elemental type of creature plush toys ? *eeewww* :S

First, to Sirhc and others with similar questions about the avatars on other planets: MA has stated that they do not know at this point, this is up to the companies that make the planets to decide, etc.

Then, my questions:
1. Will we get to know about any new partners soon, and if so, about how long can we expect to wait?

2. I read somewhere that players of *you know what game (if not, check the link)* would be able to access entropia using their avatars from that game? Link here

3. Is MA's primary aim in company-partners right now to find more, or to work with the ones they have?

Last edited:
You can always ask Microsof...aeehh...Massive Inc. (I doubt someone will publish such a list anyway)

My Question is related to my Hogglo-Plush-Toy Factory. If I cant build it, why there is nothing MA can do ?

I mean, the small figurines were already a 1st step, but where are the PR-gadgets ? Posters ? CDs ? Hogglo Plush Toy ? PE Chess game ? Drone Action Figure with blinking arms ? Or will CKA do this job ? Releasing acid elemental type of creature plush toys ? *eeewww* :S

Everyone vote for real life items in loot here :D

:topic: :rolleyes: sry

ack.. any thread asking for questions to ask MA is going to be miles long.

All i want to know is some more information on the release of Cry2 engine !!

Will be listening to the radio show for sure :)

bugger. i recently thought of a really great question should such an opputunity arise but i forget it now. or its one of the following and i dont realise...

1. Could David clarify the number of planets expected to be added soon? Is the CKI planet sperate or the same as "the chinese planet". Would he confirm the current ETA for them?

2. Cryengine2 will certainly require more powerfull PC than the present engine, what is the anticipated minimum spec. and again, what is the current ETA.

3. (i had a third one im sure...)

My question is about the details of the framework that is offered to "partners"...

( I'll also preface this question with a request that the answer please be a bit more explanatory than a standard PR response.....)

Given that other companies will be allowed to create planets within the EU, to what extent will features currently in EU, such as items, looting & creatures apply to their systems? Will they be allowed to determine their own loot distribution if their planet offers hunting & crafting? Will they be allowed to create and maintain items that are unique to their planet yet able to be traded elsewhere in EU?

I second this question. I don't think MA are doing enough to tap into the playerbase. My experience is that EU has many people in senior roles with organisations that may be in a position to develop a new planet or become involved with MA in some way. I would love to see MA open a channel of communication for players to talk to them about business opportunites.

I'd be interested to know how Creative Kingdoms came to be involved in EU. Did MA approach them etc etc

I'd also like to know if the interview as well as other programs on Entropia Radio are available for podcast.

I second this question. I don't think MA are doing enough to tap into the playerbase. My experience is that EU has many people in senior roles with organisations that may be in a position to develop a new planet or become involved with MA in some way. I would love to see MA open a channel of communication for players to talk to them about business opportunites.

That would be the Asteroid-Grab-Event (AGE). You will have to fly there in order to participate and if you die, you will revive in of of the Ressurrection-Ships circling in the orbit and then you will have to fly there again and... *sigh*

All I can think of at the moment is:

Will any of the other partners (other than CKI/Dotman or whatever it's called) have buildings on calypso?

- Nightwolf

Can you please thank David and MA for the Donation of Items for the LONDON 2008 Entropia Quiz

I can answer some the business partner related question as I got an email from David a couple of days ago. It said :

"All our designers & programmers are working with the new graphic engine and cannot be interrupted, contact us again after the implementation of the Crytek engine."

I was asking if I could transpose some RL business into the EU.

I'm listening, bring it ! :)

Here is my question:

"With the advent of the Banks there was a shortfall in functionality of the delivered system compared to the expectation of the community, will there be additional functionality/systems added to the banks in future, particularly the ability to purchase an item of high value from the bank with interest over specific terms and make payments on it with controls for the Bank to recall the item through the system if payments are maintained for a grace period and full recall if no payments are made following the grace period? This would clearly add true function to the Banks within Entropia."

Status
Back