Swamp/sweat camp

Charlie|MindArk

MindArk Official
Staff member
MindArk Official
I have heard a lot of people don't really like the current swamp camp at Port Atlantis and i have some plans on improving/making a new one with better functionality, more like the old ones.
I have a general idea of what I'm going to do but my memory is a bit fuzzy when it comes to the old ones, except for the Camp Phoenix one.

So i thought i would let you all share with me what elements you think is needed to create/recreate the swamp camp of your dreams, pictures and paint drawings allowed!:sweat:

Nice of you to ask.

One similiar to the one prior to VU10.

A flat open area, with combibo, daikaba, and on the other side of revive, beryclad.

And not a long trek from Port Atlantis.

Could have a puny area close to swamp also, for the new hunters getting to grips with the game.

Better functionality, remove the silly sweat gathering tool, and try to re-implement a true mind force sweat gathering option, as before, so people do not get constantly in the way of others, and matters not if the beam is broken by said people running around, or the mob moving.

Edit, just like the emote you did, the old proper way to sweat :)

That would probably mean making PA market area, as like the old PA, an area for trade, for newbies to mingle, and meet old timers. Currently, PA ( I know pa is not being re-done) but it's a maze and very claustraphobic. But PA and swamp went hand in hand on the old design, and is pretty much hard to beat, even with CE2.

Last edit
Add a mission for combibo also, to encourage, entice those wanting to hunt more challenging mobs than puny's, for the new guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmkjRO1O1Xk
So you know what I mean, and to refresh your memory :)

On the video, the beryclads and slightly bigger daikaba's, was behind the revival, not a mile behind, but a few steps.

Last edited:
Keep the punys and keep the daikis, combibos etc away from the swamp camp. If someone wants to group sweat there is Nea's Place and the Punys are great for solo sweating/swunting.

oh and while we are at it put a pk ring there :rolleyes::laugh:

I miss a place to go visiting in between, to see some friends ,mingle a bit , hear some news and not forget some drama sometimes :ahh: and not forget to skill some healing, focus etc .

Remember Hearing the new ones arguing about sweat prices and the rumours of the place with fountains of free oil.

VU 10 was good and VU 9 was even better with the rivers and swamps

Remember taking new players out for a run to the otherside of the hill from camp in vu 10 meeting molisks and some atrax even the odd drone . I can sure say that the new sweatcamps totaly took a lot of fun from my gaming .

The Bery spawn at the lake and the daikiba hill + the amounts of combibos on the slope made great fun team hunts with new ones . we showed them the game and some are still here . now I just feel lost when visiting any of the camps or even PA

The old Camps was not a matter of area or layout , It was about a feeling.

Keep the punys and keep the daikis, combibos etc away from the swamp camp. If someone wants to group sweat there is Nea's Place and the Punys are great for solo sweating/swunting.

Yes let the poor newcomers travel half the world before they can sweat :confused:
The combibo were THE reason swamp camp was so popular (that and it being the logical way out of PA).

double post , lagg or whatever , seems familiar ;)

Almost flat terrain. Have lots of combibo spawn at the swamp camp. Have snablesnot, daikiba, berycled, molisk, cornundacauda, exarosaur & kerberos spawn in the area around the swamp camp outpost but in different sectors, so mobs are not mixed & are seperate. Swamp not to far from PA (2mins?)& perphaps put puny mobs on the way to swamp camp. But at swamp camp like I said above, different mobs to hunt in unique area's not a to far distance & very good densities. Everyone will be happy with that.

Many people here are asking for a more or less flat swamp camp like the pre VU10 one. That's fine! I have to say, tho, that I loved the Daiki hill in the last one, too!

:cheer:

I'm sure Stave has alot of photos from the older swamp camps if you want to see what they use to look like as well.

-Bemo-

P.S Thx for taking the time to actually ask what people want rather than just making a new one from scratch ....again

Big flat area with a lake more or less near. Like pre vu 10 just put good spawns of combibo and daikibas and a few berycleds a bit more far. Since we got punys now put a spawn of them between PA and swamp camp but not on middle of the road. A mix of exarosaur/snablesnot/cornudacauda and a pure spawn of low maturity kerberos should be nice too.

The new swamp camp isn't bad because it changed, but because sweating changed.

Back in the day getting to Nea's place was hard as a non-depositor. Given that you even knew where it was, it still meant running through some pretty hard areas for about an hour, with a really high chance of getting stuck.

When you got there you could always find someone to chat with, or maybe even get a heal and a concentration buff. This was because people sweating afk with several avatars was a minority. Nowadays I have yet to see a single sweat group where even 20% are actively in the game.

Sweat camp wasn't good because it had daikibas (Cape corinth has that). It was good because you had 20 people chatting and teaming to make the most boring aspect of the game more bearable. If you gave them nea's and macroing tools at the start and , it'd just be another chinese gold farm.

Last edited:
I kinda have gotten used to the new swamp camp, lol.

It's not really that bad. A TP over there between north and south might not be a bad idea. I like how the beach is puny while the foggy area is higher level mobs, etc. Some sort of seperation like that would be nice to have no matter how you do it.

Also, GET RID OF THE HIGH WALLS... a lot of it's been fixed, but some locations are still not great... Pain in the butt if you fall in water or off a cliff on purpose or accident, etc.

Maybe add some stairwells in the steep locations like that. When vu 10 came you guys made mountains out of the molehills, and it's been a pain ever since. Argus used to be an awesome place with nice mountains that weren't too much a problem to climb, etc. Now if you approach the city from one side there's a gigantic cliff wall and you have to go all the way around the city to get to the entrance, etc.

Dung/Fruit spawn near swamp camp is moderately ok, but you might want to increase the spawn rate on it a bit now that you have iron man missions based on puny... Also might want to add more puny populations because of that too...

Also, combine Ingrid and that other swamp camp mission broker in to one npc instead of two. Ingrid likes to hid in the shadows too much.

As far as swamp camp goes... It also might be nice to combine North and South in to one, or at least put the revive on south only so that the revive is closer to PA itself.

Another idea... perhaps some puny critters that swim in the river there might be a good idea. So much land area used by the water and it's completely useless. It is nice for "drowning" but there's so much more you could do with it.

Other ideas... Pre vu 10, we had a nice little running route from Swamp to Phoenix to Billy's. Outside of that, things got a bit tougher around Zychion, etc.

It would be nice if you re-added something like that to create a sort of "n00b zone" sort of thing. I remember logging in right after vu 10 came around thinking I'd go enjoy the fantastic new graphics in exploring that little triangle... TPed to Pheonix and BLAMO... dead because of an Atrox. WTF is an Atrox doing right there in what used to be the n00b zone?!?! Sort of been like that all over the place since vu 10... not a lot of thought in to what's placed where... then we saw all the estates rearranged, and all hell broke loose in the forums because of that.

You guys do a good job most of the time, and it's nice that you are bringing some nostalgia back... but please think through what you are doing before you do it, AND TEST, TEST, AND THEN BETA TEST A FEW MORE TIMES before you make any changes live.

I know you've added something like that way on the other side of the map, but something more like that here would be nice to see again.

While on the subject... during some of the bot events, the robots that showed up at PA a lot... can't remember the name right off hand... the ones that don't attack but just sit there observing... maybe add them as a permanent resident somewhere in this n00b triangle type of thing... maybe make it something to add around a second training beacon mission in the area?...

Also, make puny versions of ALL MOBS, and scatter them around the whole planet a little. Give us some variety. ;)

What else... let me think... I might add more in here later.

Back in the day getting to Nea's place was hard as a non-depositor. Given that you even knew where it was, it still meant running through some pretty hard areas for about an hour, with a really high chance of getting stuck.
No it was not... I was a lowly non-depositor for a while and got Neas quickly. The secret back then was mainly to stick to the areas between the LAs where there was almost no spawns... I loved the little pathway between Neas and Omegaton back then, lol. It's still there now, but now there's a few more cliffs and things along the way.

Oh yes... back to swamp camp... STABLE... WHERE'S THE STABLE? WHERE ARE THE PETS AND THE TAMING SYSTEM TO FILL THAT STABLE?!?!?

Last edited:
You'll need to have it close to a PVP zone, also close to something you can drag spiders from, then fill it with those low aggro small mobs.
That's how i remember the swamp camp.
Well, i remember some even older ones but that one was a joy.

Well that's all nostalgy now.
People can just go to Nea's nowadays to sweat, it's easy and doesn't take any effort.

All i can think of is, make it flat, with terminals close by, and low-level mobs a bit further, in the plain, and lots of those mobs.

Yes let the poor newcomers travel half the world before they can sweat :confused:
The combibo were THE reason swamp camp was so popular (that and it being the logical way out of PA).

They can also sweat the punys. They barely hit even at 0 evader.

I like the suggestion of a PvP ring, gives people something to do when they get bored :D

First, it's great to be asked for input! Thanks for that!

I’m too new to remember the old camps, but I have to admit I sweat almost exclusively at Nea’s.
This is mainly because:

1) Better comradery (but probably because of player concentration around a single mob, not what we necessarily want @ PA).

2) Slightly annoying to have to run around constantly looking for new mobs after pulling only 10 bottles of sweat.

3) Terrain and vegetation @ PA sweat camp sometimes irritating.

In addition, some midrange mobs nearby gives other players a reason for being there other than to buy sweat & harass (I mean mentor) noobs.

Mick

Quick list of wishes (I liked the swamp version we had just after VU10):

1) Lake.
2) Waaaaaaaaaay less trees.
3) Open fields with some hills.
4) Single road between camp and PA.
5) Combibo spawn next to the camp.
6) Lake next to the camp.
7) Non-mixed newbie mob spawns around the lake.
8) Puny mobs to the other side of the camp compared to the lake.
9) Many more newbie missions there. Possibly one that gives an Opalo with no TT value at the end or something like that, something the newbies can use?
10) Further away from PA than the current one (like the post-VU10 one).
11) Turret-protected open area with no mobs close to service center where people can stand around for trading, chatting, etc.

Actually, I would like to see the newbie experience go something like this (split into parts):

Stage One (Basic Hunting/Mining/Crafting, Sweating) - Calypso Gateway:
1) You arrive at Calypso Gateway and get basic controls explained to you.
2) Some NPC just outside arrival place asks you to retrieve a box from a crashed ship (the ship you arrived at, shot down by robots) at the other side of the island. He tells you to visit the armory first.
3) You visit the armory and get a gun and some ammo.
4) As you exit the base, some Genesis Star NPC asks if you can scan the ground for him (hands you a rookie finder, extractor and some probes). You get to keep whatever you loot (Lyst+Oil).
5) You trek across the island, shooting some mobs that attack you along the way, then retrieve the box from the wrecked spaceship.
6) You return the box to the NPC and get a VSE Mk 1 in return. He explains how it works and lets you enter the Research Biodome they have in the camp to try it out.
7) You speak to the Genesis Star NPC and get a Basic Filters blueprint as a bonus for the "Very good scans" and a short crafting tutorial. He tells you to bring the Basic Filters you made to his collegue at Swamp Camp.
8) You board a shuttle (teleporter formed as a shuttle).

Stage Two (Vehicle, Trading, Social, Health) - Arrival at Eudoria:
1) The shuttle "arrives" at a shuttle bay W of Port Atlantis.
2) An NPC "Mechanic" tells you about vehicles (Vehicle Tutorial) and gives you a tip about people who can help you in Port Atlantis.
3) You get a mission (from the Mechanic) showing the location of 3 NPCs.
4) First NPC tells you about trading, auction and markup.
5) Second NPC tells you about social stuff, like events and societies.
6) Third NPC tells you about revive terminals and healing and such.
7) You get a popup reminding you about the Genesis Star NPC telling you to meet his collegue in Swamp Camp and a mission marker added to Swamp Camp, so you set out to go there.

Stage Three (Advanced Hunting/Mining/Crafting) - Swamp Camp:
1) You arrive at Swamp Camp and speak to the Genesis Star representative.
2) Genesis Star NPC explains how different areas have different resources and gives you a mining mission to find two different ore and two different enmatter.
3) The Genesis Star NPC gives you a one click (never fail) blueprint for a Sollomate Opalo in exchange for some sweat. The blueprint requires 1 basic filter, 100 sweat and about 2PED low-TT ore or enmatter that is in the area (possible to find in the advanced mining mission). This teaches how components are sometimes used in crafting an end product (crafting chains) and gives the newbie a starter weapon.
4) You are given a Hunting Puny missions and an exploration mission that takes you to Nus Lull.
5) If you choose to hunt punies first, you get some reward for that (like the colonist cap we get now from some mission).
6) If you choose to go to Nus Lull, you move to Stage Four.

Stage Four (Exploration, Teleporting) - Nus Lull, Orthos, Outpost:
1) When arriving at Nus Lull, you find a couple of farmer NPCs (it is a scientific farm after all).
2) They tell you about Orthos West Mound and how you can use the teleporter there to teleport to any TP you have visited (and how you can TP there from any other teleporter once you have visited it). They also tell you about an animal herd to the south and how there "Was some lady looking for hunters" at an outpost there.
3) You get one mission for going to Orthos and one mission for going to the outpost.
4) If you choose the outpost, you go there and find the Iron Mission broker for the Shinkiba iron mission, an outpost and a good spawn of small Shinkiba (or Daikiba, or whatever).
5) If you choose to go to Orthos, you get the Orthos teleporter (and possibly +1 Stamina or something as a "Exploration Reward").

Stage Five (Moving on...) - Orthos:
1) When at Orthos, there is a mission broker there giving you a challenge to find and visit Fort Fury and some other teleporters. You accept and start your own adventure on Planet Calypso...

Map for this idea:
pa_area.jpg

It doesn't make any difference to me personally what you do to swamp camp, but I would note that:

1. If you do decide to redesign the PA/swamp camp area, this would be the 3rd time you have done so since VU10. It might have been better to try to get it right the first time :)

2. While it's obviously important to create a good experience for new players, most of the people commenting on this subject are people who have been around for several years. While I don't mean to disparage those with different play styles to mine, I would suggest that people who are still hanging around swamp camp after years in EU (i.e. mainly non-depositors and low activity players) should probably not be your number one customer service priority.

1st expand Port Atlantis. Create a market square at the north entrance. Around a teleporter with all important terminals and npcs nearby. Also put marks there statues, stairs or something

2nd leave the puny area as it is.

3rd create a version very much like the old swamp on the west/north side of the PA peninsula

flat area, few hills. most important there are the spawns. The spawns are the key imho.

Huge Daiki + Bibo spawn as main mobs. Have a look at youtube to get a feeling for it. Bery, Exa and snables not far away. The spawns should be near together, but seperated enough to allow ppl hunting them to concentrate on them. Another things are terminals. No auctioneer should be there. To trade ppl should have to go to Port Atlantis. Revive,TT, repair and storage should be enough. But having the storage would be fine so ppl do not have to leave when they get too heavy. Make use of signs and roads to guide ppl there from PA

Also not so far away put a decent Spawn of tantillion. So higher level players will travel along there to skill with them. We are lacking a really good spawn of them anyway. But put them far enough to not interfere too much with the newcomer experience.

my 2 pecs so far

Last edited:
In my opinion, one of the most important bits in remaking that area would be to reduce the excessive amount of outposts there... within only a couple of kilometers from Port Atlantis there are 7 outposts, a couple of kilometers more you reach Orthos.

This could be reduced to the outposts shown in the map in my previous post, as such a move would gather more people in one place rather than spread them out over several square kilometers. This move would make it easier for newbies to find other players, easier for mentors and other older players to locate the newbies, etc.

I just don't see any reason to have so many outposts in such a small area as it is there now :)

The location and design is fine, on average there's 20 people behind pa swearing, the only "problem" is theres no central revive, so as a result theres no central gathering point. this both has good and bad points to it.

The location of vu10 swamp is too far away too.

i would love to see something similar like the old camp phoenix.
i loved it there.
open areas snables and bery's around :yay:

While you are at re-improving old places, dont forget to bring back the old Tantillion fields. You lost some customers there :yup:

I stoped hunting but this could make me skilling again :wtg:

i would love to see something similar like the old camp phoenix.
i loved it there.
open areas snables and bery's around :yay:

Oh Camp Phoenix was always my favourite sweat camp! :) tons of snable, (then) scary berycled, molisk/cornundos spawn further away, annoying Igni over by the river and feffoids south and east...

The crashed spaceship nearby, sweating from its wing, debris from the first robot wars, trenches and robot/ship/vehicle scraps and parts...

Big flat area with a lake more or less near. Like pre vu 10 just put good spawns of combibo and daikibas and a few berycleds a bit more far. Since we got punys now put a spawn of them between PA and swamp camp but not on middle of the road. A mix of exarosaur/snablesnot/cornudacauda and a pure spawn of low maturity kerberos should be nice too.

Basically what I said, so I'll support this post :)

First - Give players a reason to sweat. Right now sweat values are so low that new players trying out the game just leave when they find out how little their efforts were worth.

Second - Make it so players only have to use the Sweat Tool until they reach a certain level. This would make it like the tool is a step in the process of someone learning how to use MindForce. Once the player reaches a certain level of Sweat Gathering skill points then let them use the old sweating method from before VU 10. (This would result in the same sweat as the free sweat tool gets.)
This would make for an exciting profession unlock. "Advanced Sweat Gatherer".

To take the sweating one step further regarding skill levels.

Make it so players can skill up in SIB using the sweat tools in stages.

First tool is the free one players start with. You can sweat 1-4 sweat units.

Next levels of tools would be Limited with decay based on the level.
Sweat Tool level II would get 5-8 sweat units, III would get 9-12, IV 13-16 and the V 17-20 units of sweat.

The decay would have to be so minimal that it would still be a value to using them. The reason someone would want to use these limited sweat tools instead of the free sweat tool would be the speed in being able to sweat/swunt mobs and gain the sweat you may need faster for yourself if you prefer not to buy from other players.:girl::sweat:

Make a swamp camp town with a teleporter then. Like it used to be in camp phoenix.

Make a swamp camp town with a teleporter then. Like it used to be in camp phoenix.

Aloode had the right level mobs for that and they removed the Teleporter.:rolleyes:

Back