Entropia / CryEngine2 teaser screenshot

Funny thing is, if they tended towards that direction, it's a direct copy of the similar game of russian background... lol.

Concept wise, but then you can say it is the same as EQ2, VG, and several other games too, just with an RCE element :)

Most of the games today use similar concepts when it comes to resource gathering, crafting, combat and other activities.

AW has the same concept as EU when it comes to finders and extractors, so I see no issue there.

It is based on real life activities, so there are not too many ways one can be original with an axe/saw or a pick/hammer style tool other than the way in which it is swung/used.

Possibilities that make implementing above ground resource gathering, become more readily feasible when there is an engine capable of driving such concepts with greater ease, and with this, there is always something can be done to make it differ and be called original to EU.

For example,

You could have the basic sonic harvesting fist and a basic laser energy saw available from the TT. Even though these will be cheap and rather slow in what resources they gather, they can lead into crafted versions which are much more effective.

New handheld resource scanners could be established, much like the lifescanner, though used on resource nodes rather than on MOBs & PCs.

They would have limited range to scan for timber type or ore type in above ground harvestable nodes which would also aid in raising the new above ground basic resource gathering professions.

The use of the basic sonic harvesting fist, basic laser saw and handheld resource scanner could raise skills that tie into multiple professions, including combat related such as powerfists, the laser saw could tie in with knife or sword related skills along with the scanner into scanning related skills.

The new professions could simply be called Surface Prospecting and Forestry which is what they are called in real life, so not copying any other game there, just a reflection of the real world definitions.

Not all nodes would contain resources, and those that do would be varied as to the single resource that they contain.

Raising such professions and skills could be a profitable art for the newcomer and established participants in itself before making the leap into the more expensive professions including underground prospecting and surveying.

Having a variety of starting activities, including the already established sweat gathering is always considered a bonus, and can lead to a balanced approach in earnings potential/profitability across the range of resources gathered from them within the marketplace. This would also curtail bordem and improve overall participant retention.

Cheers,
Sparkz

Last edited:
Me likes. Good Job so far.

imho, I would be more impressed, if my screen had a beefy loot window in it.

I'm just saying...

still looks slicker than a common comb at a 50's Italian convention. (I am qualified to comment on this).

Hello everyone!

I managed to exclusively grab a teaser screen shot from the “CryTropia” press release due tomorrow. What do you think?

What do I think? I think my poor outdated graphics card just suffered catastrophic heart failure.

Thats Jason vicinity with the "stinktrees" I believe :)

Cool, thanks!

Shadows and lighting!

Oooooooohhhhhh.... ahhhhhhhhhhh....

Lookin good!

Me likey! :wtg:

Oh, and there are lots of mobs + colonists in the teaser pic! If you can't see them, just relog... :wise:

onkel soder will need a new graphics card

I am eager to see people, creatures, animals and of course the introduction of the new Pinkynator handgun Marco has been promising me for 3 years now!!!!!

great picture Marco !
and Pinky like your humour :laugh:

Thank u for this tiny postal card Marco. As other said, there is a big difference between the "photos" in CE2 exhibition and this "teaser" screenshoot. Well, we can see a mix between new 3D models of trees and olds ones, angulars. The atmoshere is great and thats an important factor.

I gamble 100 peds that the map of eudoria or amathera are not changed at all. I mean the Sandbox 2 terrain editor was not used to redisign EU at all. Only texture improvement. Thats understandable due to the gigantic amount of relief on the two continents. Im mabe wrong, so if u have done that, omg u a real band of warriors.

looks very nice indeed

thanks for the pics anymore im sure will be greatly recieved :D

Between this teaser picture and this CRY gallery picture there's a shitload of difference. Especially on trees.

Don't get me wrong, my main concern is not the looks, but the viability of system.

How exactly will work a CRY based system with outdated imported models and textures? I know, graphic artists are expensive, is alot of work to update a whole universe, but imo CRY implementation should start on textures and the likes, not on lights.

Not impressed.

I was about to quote here Age of Conan, but their graphic department has.. uhm... 12 members?

But what about the terrain? The colours look great and the lighting is kick ass. But the ground is still just as flat.

I agree, the ground is still as flat as the current engine :rolleyes:

Ok, that was very unimpressive. Lets hope that we atleast will have the interaction with the surrondings as it should be with CE, blowing up trees and see the grass moving when you step on it ect ect.

But nothing there for me(in the pics we have so far) that makes EU better visually compared to any other mmo.

Agreed. A lot more will have to be done if they want to grab the newbs by the balls.

- Nightwolf

Last edited:
1. Yes it looks better than old EU
2. Yes it looks not so good as Crysis (im not surprised / will be less HW demaning) but it has posibilities to update eye candy on the run through VUs.
3. As I read some responses, graphics maniacs were so hyped, they wont accept anything looking worst than Cry on Ultra settings (altough 90% of em dont have PC to run it smoothly)
4. IMO it looks good, will be better when its done, and it will take more time than they told us (anyone surprised?) Me personally dont care, I like the graphics now, Im more focused on gameplay, for realistic graphics I go outside or watch film. Dont get yourself too hyped or u could be disappointed, allways been like this.

Good work MA, just dont tell us dates pls...

lol very impressive, are we able to break those trees? :D

Aha, a tilted horizon.... hmm :)

I want to see a place in EU I recognise, show me twin show me a TP SC somewhere , looks good but I could knock that up in the cry2 sandbox myself - I want EU specifics!!!

Looks better than right now but the trees still look like they have bin just stuck on the ground without any roots or anything.... I guess MA has never seen FarCry or Crysis or even Call of Duty 4 before :D

But still I like the fact that something is being done to improve not only to get more and respect for that.

On the bright side, many trees and shrubs are re-used all over the planet replace/improve one model and it's a big step forward.

On the bright side, many trees and shrubs are re-used all over the planet replace/improve one model and it's a big step forward.

They have already improved trees by the new TPs on Amethera however the way they grow out from ground could be upgraded to look more natural....some roots, ground lifted by them, etc...

Still we should be happy that Entropia will be running on the best engine out there.

Missing the Boat

Seems like a few people are missing the boat here. There is so much more to Entropia than just the graphic textures and models and maxing everything out. As many have stated, they undoubtedly want to insure that millions of people can play this game without needing ultra high-end hardware.

But think about all of the other interactivity that must be added in, the background engineering and systems and modules that run everything from the loot distribution system to the TTs and game mechanics. Seems to me that MA has had to completely remake Entropia almost entirely from scratch, and I know that's no easy feat with a game that's been running so many years already.

As a programmer, I can assure you that it ALWAYS looks easier from outside the cage. If you really think these shots are not impressive and it can be improved so much, perhaps MA would like your resumé and demo reel? :D

Personally, I love these screen shots, and I cannot wait to explore this new world they've been creating.

Keep it up, MA! Wonderful stuff so far!

Press release?
Perhaps it will have a definate release date...:yay:

Perhaps it will have a definate release date...:yay:

well lets see

ground - done
trees - done
fancy lighting - done
mobs - nope
guns - nope
buildings - nope
wind effect - nope
tps - nope

I really hope MA are more ahead than that but if we're not getting it shown off I doubt it exists :(

... toddles back into cry2 limbo

So MA's press release to the world will say:

ground - done
trees - done
fancy lighting - done
mobs - nope
guns - nope
buildings - nope
wind effect - nope
tps - nope

Or

The CE2 update just might be ready.