Item tiers and enhancers

Bertha Bot

Entropia News Fetcher
The item tier and enhancement system has been heavily debated amongst the community. Many participants have questioned the second item ingredient. We would like to share our view and motivation behind the selected design.

We are confident that the system gives the participants who choose to use it more options to customize their items and game play. For casual players it is quick to pick up limited items and just use them as normal as the tiers come automatically and it is very easy to add enhancers that feels right. On the other side of the spectrum are the hardcore players who devise charts and strive for best econ and optimal game play at every instant. They now have a big system to immerse themselves with and explore.

As most of you probably have discovered, enhancers improvement is calculated as a percentage, meaning an enhancer will provide greater benefit on a high end item than on a low end item. E.g. a weapon damage enhancer will give more extra damage on a high damage weapon than on a low damage weapon. To keep the balance, the upgrade cost must be proportional to the actual gain. By including a secondary item as ingredient, the item markup becomes part of this cost. It is up to you to determine if upgrading an item to a certain tier is worth the cost or if you want to ignore the options available.

By adding the secondary item as an ingredient we also get a drain in the economy concerning unlimited items. Drains are essential to have in the Entropia economy system. With a drain in place we have more ability to adjust the balancing and increase drop rates of unlimited items; something we believe is good for the community as a whole.

Another goal of the tier and item enhancements system is to give more participants access to interesting, challenging and more powerful items. For limited items you quickly get to higher tier levels free of charge while the tier upgrade progress with unlimited items takes a lot longer and involves additional costs. At the same time you will add options to a more personal item you could potentially use forever. We wanted to avoid a linear system in which all unlimited items quickly would have 10 enhancers connected as it would have a very high impact on the overall balance.

Upgrading high end items involves a significant investment. As such it will not cater to everyone. However, we foresee that some participants will choose to work as professional tier upgraders, and will offer upgraded items of various tiers for sale.

Enhancers are designed and balanced for being a mass-market item, especially at lesser tiers, but also on higher. The flexibility given by the various enhancers gives you, the player, greater control over how you want to participate. It is also open for additions in the future with new kinds of enhancers, without disrupting the existing market.

Item tier and enhancers is a major system that has significant impact on core activities in Planet Calypso and other Entropia planets. The MindArk balancing team is monitoring the system, analyzing statistics and fine tuning. We are also following forum discussions and reviewing support cases. Your input is much appreciated.

Regards,
The Entropia Platform development team.

Originally posted on Entropia Gateway

hmmm increasing droprate of unlimited items ....

well al least we got an explination ;)

+rep to the development team for explaining the reason :)

So that means a drop in value off highend items .. ?

Lets drop those mm as candy :wtg:

What is it that puts one item with a Tier 1 unlock above another item with, for example, a Tier 6 unlock on the Hall of Fame list? Is it the TT value of the item, the effort (uses) to achieve the unlock, a combination of the two, or something else I've not considered?:scratch2:

Item tier and enhancers is a major system that has significant impact on core activities in Planet Calypso and other Entropia planets. The MindArk balancing team is monitoring the system, analyzing statistics and fine tuning. We are also following forum discussions and reviewing support cases. Your input is much appreciated.

Regards,

Originally posted on Entropia Gateway

Ah suddenly its a major system with significant impact for core activities, while before all the statements from MA/FPC called it additional/optional and advised us that we are free not to use it.

well I'm sorry but thats just a steaming crock of crap! :rolleyes:

First high value item that gets turned into residue will bring about another "Squall's Ore Amp" thread discussion.

Only a matter of time until it happens.

so what this basically says is 'tough your stuck with it'

well tough I'm not bothering with it :nana:

Good, how about Merry Mayhem event now Marco?

Why we have 4 categories if all 4 categories can be won by same people, they only need to have one "father/mother" avatar in each category that will perform the "tremendous" work of looting corps, this main avatar don't even have to make 1 point of damage :yay:

And not to mention they keep spouting this wonderful new profession of tier upgraded that 'forces' lending/handing over our items which as we all know MA will do nothing about and say 'all trades are final' if something goes wrong.

By adding the secondary item as an ingredient we also get a drain in the economy concerning unlimited items. Drains are essential to have in the Entropia economy system. With a drain in place we have more ability to adjust the balancing and increase drop rates of unlimited items; something we believe is good for the community as a whole.

that will say all ther haw invest in game on high end gear just get fuckt ower of FCP and MA

ther is a major bunch of players ther will haw lost lik 500k peds on ther itimes now becures of this nice work lol

this is crap

It's a no win situation though.

If we have numerous tier 10 imk2 and mm, and the economy and efficiency of them is increased even further. I'm sure the army of k400/apis users will not be happy bunnies.

Those guns are already way out balanced, it's a scary prospect if those guns at tier 10 are becoming much better.

And face facts, MA have stated mid level guns will be become even weaker versus uber guns. So thats the majority of player base nerf'd more. As the L option cannot be put to tier 10 usually,

All this moaning by the majority to get salvage rate to 100% may not be the blessing it appears when your avg loot is even worse as ubers clear more and more profit.

*hangs around longer*
ty for the explination - plz fix ammo though - just not the same ....

Well I don't think the ppl with the high end gear are getting f**** by MA and FPC. Their gear is still good as before. Do they realy need to be able to upgrade for just 1K ped or so...
I find it a good system for the 'common' UL items. Maybe with some items it will be cheaper to just take the risk and invest in an upgrade in stead of buying the next better UL gun :)

Then agian we need to see what effect it will have on the market. It could have a bad effect to :(

(sry for the bad english)

Timbo Witters

what abudt ther ones ther haw invest now and the last 3 yers ther just loos the valu on the gear direkt out ther dor

thats ok or what

The translation...

The item tier and enhancement system has been heavily debated amongst the community. Many participants have questioned the second item ingredient. We would like to share our view and motivation behind the selected design.

We are confident that the system gives the participants who choose to use it more options to customize their items and game play. For casual players it is quick to pick up limited items and just use them as normal as the tiers come automatically and it is very easy to add enhancers that feels right. On the other side of the spectrum are the hardcore players who devise charts and strive for best econ and optimal game play at every instant. They now have a big system to immerse themselves with and explore.

read: We made it as convoluted as possible.Try and work this one out suckers :silly2:

As most of you probably have discovered, enhancers improvement is calculated as a percentage, meaning an enhancer will provide greater benefit on a high end item than on a low end item. E.g. a weapon damage enhancer will give more extra damage on a high damage weapon than on a low damage weapon. To keep the balance, the upgrade cost must be proportional to the actual gain. By including a secondary item as ingredient, the item markup becomes part of this cost. It is up to you to determine if upgrading an item to a certain tier is worth the cost or if you want to ignore the options available.

read: we know Marco said a Tier 10MM or Mod FAP is a sight to behold but we actually dont want to ever see one in game or this fantastic new system we created wouldnt work and we would have to devise a completely new system to muddy the water and render most of the research done over the years useless.

read: Once we get these items out of the game kiss them goodbye once and for all.
Oh ok maybe we will release 1% of them once a year so you cant say they never drop anymore.

Another goal of the tier and item enhancements system is to give more participants access to interesting, challenging and more powerful items. For limited items you quickly get to higher tier levels free of charge while the tier upgrade progress with unlimited items takes a lot longer and involves additional costs. At the same time you will add options to a more personal item you could potentially use forever. We wanted to avoid a linear system in which all unlimited items quickly would have 10 enhancers connected as it would have a very high impact on the overall balance.

read: Like we said we dont actually want to see these items but we do have to give the impression its possible.

Upgrading high end items involves a significant investment. As such it will not cater to everyone.

read:Its only for those too drunk or too rich to care.

However, we foresee that some participants will choose to work as professional tier upgraders, and will offer upgraded items of various tiers for sale.

read: All trades are final remember so dont come back to us even though we told you to do it.

Enhancers are designed and balanced for being a mass-market item, especially at lesser tiers, but also on higher. The flexibility given by the various enhancers gives you, the player, greater control over how you want to participate. It is also open for additions in the future with new kinds of enhancers, without disrupting the existing market.

read: When we say 'Gives greater control over how you want to participate' we actually mean do it or dont do it,we dont really care what you think.

read:Screw you its done now.

Regards,

It would be nice in the future if we receive this explanation before or at the same time something huge is released,

all you pencile licking chewing folks sitting on your comfortable chairs have no idea how tough it is for the players to grind and purchase a gun.

Maybe you MA/FPC guys can see how things really works, but the most of us are flying blind ingame.

This is already a world of shit, dont make it worse.

Give more explanations next time. COmmunicate better.

If you fail again , dont blame us throwing dungs at you on EF

enhanced ones ->

why the hell can you guys give us a presentation? I mean you design monkeys do it all the time , dont you ?

I will applaus, usualy I dont throw dungs at people who is making a presentation, but I will if there were none given and made our world of craploots worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the drain thingy. Haha @ ubers. If you want to make your guns even better you risk the chance of giving the gun back to the people ! :yay:

ther is a major bunch of players ther will haw lost lik 500k peds on ther itimes now becures of this nice work lol

this is crap

well thats a risk you take just like rl u can buy things for alot of money and they drop in value instantly or increase.

for example buying a 20k car and the second u drive off the forecourt uve lost 5k.

thats how things work id like to think that people willing to invest large amounts of money on high end items in game or in rl should understand that by now?

Timbo Witters

what abudt ther ones ther haw invest now and the last 3 yers ther just loos the valu on the gear direkt out ther dor

thats ok or what

No but is it a fact that they will lose their value? Don't see any reason why

Btw: No one said you have to upgrade and risk these expensieve items.

Yes...delete secondary item from upgrade process..i dont want lose my adj fap and other unl items. Items r not ingredients!!!!

Upgrade process is expensive without secondary item.

Dont kill this game please

Karlos

I havent seen price on items go down.

And this announcement just said those items will become even more powerful versus other items at tier 10.

If salvage rate can be 100%, ubers will be laughing all the way to the bank.

ok well ... i have to agree.

Now i want know more about RANDOM enhancer consumption.
It can be consumed 10 times in row on each shot (and maybe 10 of em once if i have L item with all 10 Tier slots used) and maybe once per 1000 used and maybe if lucky not a single one from all day hunt. Such random consumption dont seems for me fair/predicable system for hunting.

Some interpretation of enhancer consumption system is needed now.

Upgrade process is expensive without secondary item.

No its not, its very cheap. Like a few hundred ped. Thats nothing compared to the value of uber items. I lose that hunting everyday.

It's a no win situation though.

If we have numerous tier 10 imk2 and mm, and the economy and efficiency of them is increased even further.
If I read it correctly, you will have a small chance to get an item to tier 10, since every upgrade includes a chance of losing the item....

Thanks MA for letting us know the background

If I read it correctly, you will have a small chance to get an item to tier 10, since every upgrade includes a chance of losing the item....

It's not a small chance. You just have to be prepared to invest. If not a system for those wanting to improve uber items for a few hundred of ped.

And if salvage rate can be 100% then there is no risk??

I like the drain thingy. Haha @ ubers. If you want to make your guns even better you risk the chance of giving the gun back to the people ! :yay:

How can you be so insensitive? Don't you realize some ppl might have invested alot of peds on UL gear, and now maybe they lose alot of money? I understand if you like this idea, but that "Haha @ ubers" was a bit too much.

I'm probably taking this too seriously, but that's probably cuz I hate this new system more than anything.

Back