a question of gfx quality

What quality of graphics is acceptable for a RCE good game

• Graphics? what wrong with text?

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • A blocky stickman would do, seriously.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • That Minecraft thing, thats a cool look!

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 16-bit retro is where its at, get back to real games

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Isometric is overlooked and underrated

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Hey, if its 3D and looks like its made this century im happy

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • Gamebryo was fine, why they have to change it?

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Just fine the way it is

Votes: 44 44.0%
  • I need state of the art to justify gratutitously expensive newest GFX card.

Votes: 24 24.0%

• Total voters
Oh no, surely we want the very best there is to see.

I cannot depo into a substandard visual game.

Anything less than eye candy when you lose 1k ped/ day is just not on.

If you are playing just for the economics I get it but honestly it can get pretty boring I got enough of that in real life.

I just want to play and see beautiful alien worlds, epic space battles, awesome futuristic cities, apocalyptic wastelands, forests and so on. Everything beautifully rendered in the comfort of my home.

Last edited:
If you are playing just for the economics I get it bu honestly it can't get pretty boring I got enough of that in real life.

I just want to play and see beautiful alien worlds, epic space battles, awesome futuristic cities, apocalyptic wastelands, forests and so on. Everything beautifully rendered in the comfort of my home.

This.

All this mocking of graphics quality comes down to a simple thing. Buy a better computer.

Really, they are not expensive. I built my friend a gaming rig capable of running EU on very high at an average FPS of 30 for under $600.

Its not my fault some people choose to live in the stone age. I appreciate the graphics improvements, thank you very much, and there are plenty of others who do too. And yes, you are choosing your shitty play experience. Either by poor financial management, crappy employment decisions, or just plain old stupidity, you have made the choice to not be able to afford the tools you require in order to enjoy your hobby adequately.

Im not a rich person. By most peoples standards I am decidedly lower middle class and will remain that way as long as I have 1 income coming into my home. Yet I manage to do plenty with the resources I earn.

Sucks to be you, Sir Complains-a-lot.

(there is no vote to reflect my viewpoint. that your shitty play experience is not my problem. its yours. That would be my vote, though.)

Isometric graphics are totally underrated!! Looking forward to the new AnnoOnline... screw that 2070 SciFi-3D crap. :laugh: No seriously I enjoyed playing that too for a bit but still can't compete with the real thing. ^^
As for EU I don't think it needs any particular graphics quality as it is mainly focused on economy for me anyway.

If you are playing just for the economics ...

well that is heart of the question, what is acceptable for an RCE game. does the graphics matter so much as it would do for a "normal" game. clearly the vote is, yes it matters, though i wonder if everyone is seperating the RCE from the rest of the game. how often do we hear people say they wished MA would fix the economy rather than do graphical updates, though this poll suggests actually we'd rather have the graphics updated than the economy.

Either by poor financial management, crappy employment decisions, or just plain old stupidity, you have made the choice to not be able to afford the tools you require in order to enjoy your hobby adequately.

Angry as ever Magyar:)

However, this is salient. Please do not wish to bring us down. Try to bring yourself UP.

So weird that some ppl complain about they cant run the game. :confused:

my 10y kids computer is 4-5y old and can run this game on high.

So maybe its time for some ppl to update their old stuff ?

there is no vote to reflect my viewpoint. that your shitty play experience is not my problem. its yours. That would be my vote, though.

:wise: I so agree Magyar :wise:

We dont have state of the art graphics and we dont have the cuddly graphics of 2005 anymore.

So it feels just wrong to me. :'(

Angry as ever Magyar:)

However, this is salient. Please do not wish to bring us down. Try to bring yourself UP.

Hehe! You mistake my truth for anger.

I cant be bothered sugar coating things for folks who will just twist around what I say anyway. No point in it. Best to just say exactly what I mean to say and carry on with life. :wise:

This.

Really, they are not expensive. I built my friend a gaming rig capable of running EU on very high at an average FPS of 30 for under $600.

For some of my ingame friends that is more than a usual 2 months salaray in their country so ofc 600$ may be expensive...

So weird that some ppl complain about they cant run the game. :confused:

my 10y kids computer is 4-5y old and can run this game on high.

So maybe its time for some ppl to update their old stuff ?

:wise: I so agree Magyar :wise:

same here, obviously you had a ton of luck in your life starting with your birth in a rich county I suppose (same with me but we should hold that game as open as possible for everyone...)

well that is heart of the question, what is acceptable for an RCE game. does the graphics matter so much as it would do for a "normal" game. clearly the vote is, yes it matters, though i wonder if everyone is seperating the RCE from the rest of the game. how often do we hear people say they wished MA would fix the economy rather than do graphical updates, though this poll suggests actually we'd rather have the graphics updated than the economy.

Why cant we have both ?
How hard can it be to fix ?
I belive the game have to fix economy so it can keep new players.
Also always keep up to the best graphics to.
If they manage to do that this game could last for a long long time .

People talking about computer rigs.

I have a 6year old CPU which is obsolete, a 4-5year old Video Card that I doubt anyone sells anymore and 4GB of RAM.

I run EU on High wiht a few V.High options most of the time. Bit of lag teleporting, but that's no issue.
The stuff wasn't even expensive/top-range when I got it.

For some of my ingame friends that is more than a usual 2 months salaray in their country so ofc 600$ may be expensive...

same here, obviously you had a ton of luck in your life starting with your birth in a rich county I suppose (same with me but we should hold that game as open as possible for everyone...)

I agree whit u on that point Dolly but let them play on low-med settings then and let me play on Extreme Ultra settings if i want to since im so fu rich and have a monster rig :)
Not realy rich on money since i have 3 kids but that what makes me rich :)

I purchased the parts for the PC at amazon for like $500 plus shipping, add transport and taxes to my country a total of lets say $650. It's good money but it's been running EU on very high graphics with a 2500x1600 screen and I'm not running a $1000+ gaming rig. So it's totally doable!

Damn right !!!

Project Entropia in 2001, felt like Golden Axe 1, but people loved it. (of course)

Project Entropia in 2004, felt like Golden Axe 2 and god damn, that was a great immersive feeling !!!1 WONDERFULL !!!! (and yea, I loved Golden Axe 2 as well !)

Entropia Universe feels a little like Beast Rider since 2009. The immersive feeling is more or less gone.

The above is construcive crticism, please dont advice me to leave or stop playing.​

Damn right !!!

Project Entropia in 2001, felt like Golden Axe 1, but people loved it. (of course)

Project Entropia in 2004, felt like Golden Axe 2 and god damn, that was a great immersive feeling !!!1 WONDERFULL !!!! (and yea, I loved Golden Axe 2 as well !)

Entropia Universe feels a little like Beast Rider since 2009. The immersive feeling is more or less gone.

The above is construcive crticism, please dont advice me to leave or stop playing.​

As usual McCormick, you have got everything mangled. Graphics quality is a good thing. How can it be otherwise. The state of the game is another issue, and not relevant in this thread.

You would rather have a happy feelgood pong?

No, get your lines straightened out.

People talking about computer rigs.

I have a 6year old CPU which is obsolete, a 4-5year old Video Card that I doubt anyone sells anymore and 4GB of RAM.

I run EU on High wiht a few V.High options most of the time. Bit of lag teleporting, but that's no issue.
The stuff wasn't even expensive/top-range when I got it.

i have only got an intel2duo somehing

3gig ram (yes 3!)

and a 550 ti cyclone II ed.

AND i run it on high/v high grafics and no lag.

As usual McCormick, you have got everything mangled. Graphics quality is a good thing. How can it be otherwise. The state of the game is another issue, and not relevant in this thread.

You would rather have a happy feelgood pong?

No, get your lines straightened out.

Im sorry you havent realized yet that todays "graphics quality" (CE2) is one of the main reasons why the "state of the game" is far behind.

Thats why I voted :

Gamebryo was fine, why they have to change it?

Yes, why !?

Because "they" were so much focused on beeing the 1st using CryEngine 2, not beeing able to push it to the level "state of the art", that they pumped so much $ and "effort" in it, they had to sell the freshly bought castle in germany and dismiss great emplyoees, leaving the immersive feeling far behind.

Pong ? What about VU 5.6 ?

its entirely relevant, the point is to gauge where the importance of graphics stops and the importance of the RCE element of the game begins. graphics for graphics sake is often not good (watch the vid).

i have only got an intel2duo somehing

3gig ram (yes 3!)

and a 550 ti cyclone II ed.

AND i run it on high/v high grafics and no lag.

Exactly, it isn't that hard to play EU with high level graphics quality.

My video card is a 250GTS, nothing spectacular.

And this is a rig I play Crysis on High and Crysis 2 on High with.

its entirely relevant, the point is to gauge where the importance of graphics stops and the importance of the RCE element of the game begins. graphics for graphics sake is often not good (watch the vid).

No.

A good RCE is both visually and materially sound.

I am not saying for a moment the game functions as it should, but as a realist I say we have to have something function.

I expect everything from this game, and to talk about a trade-off ( graphics vs. game ) is foolish and naive.

I am not without sympathy with ppl like you or McCormick, but you have to improve your demands, not lessen them.

Summary?

How I think it needs to be:

Graphics=GOOD
Content =VERY GOOD

You need to have the whole package! I agree with Mcormick to an extent but I do see the jump to CE2 as something positive only problem is MA couldn't keep up it's been too long and we still don't have the old EU feel.

I'd expect a good RCE would be founded on the economy. what you say is true of a good game. the two can of course live together.
as for naivety, thats assuming you can ramp up the graphics for automatic success. there are games out there with far poorer graphics than MAs implementation of Cryengine2 that are making far far more money. as i say page two, Runscape is reckoned to have 10m active accounts.

anyway, i'll put you down as "I need state of the art..."

No.

I am not saying for a moment the game functions as it should, but as a realist I say we have to have something function.

I expect everything from this game, and to talk about a trade-off ( graphics vs. game ) is foolish and naive.

I am not without sympathy with ppl like you or McCormick, but you have to improve your demands, not lessen them.

We neither have "State of the art CE2 graphics" (yet), nor de we have the "perfect RCE" (anymore).

So I dont need useless "high end CE2 graphics" (which we clearly have not reached yet), when it has negative side-effects, like leading the whole game development to a stop,
as long as I can have immersive GameBryo worlds with a working RCE and a flowing game concept. (which we clearly left behind)

Hello,

I just finished the Missions on Thule the new gateway.

Found the demo of new graphic standart there not bad.

Kind of neat even. Some mix of snow, wood, scifi type things.

Can recommend to have a look at that. Televator at Port Atlantis is active to go there.

1440x900x32 16Q AA Very High Settings
not the newest GFX card. Nvidia 9700M GT 512MB

the forum seems to process the picture also somewhat.
I recommend to go there and watch it live.

Be interesting what the majority thinks about that.

Last edited:
Back