A step towards wisdom - post your favourite quote

Every thinker does. Human thinking is limited, not to mention our perception upon things.
But we, romanians, have a saying: the exception makes the rule even more valid. ;)

We Americans say Support Bush or be confined and imprisoned...

I've studied much of that in my limited/ higher learning... It is indeed a good quote.

We Americans say Support Bush or be confined and imprisoned...

Don't speak for all us Americans. I can speak for myself, thank you.

While I may not agree with what you said, I'd die for you right to say it.

A 16th century artist on being incarcerated in an 'asylum / madhouse'

'I said they were mad, they said I was mad and damn it they out-voted me...'

I forget the name of the guy...

Or RD Laing on madness...

'A sane reaction to an insane world...'

"Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow.
The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing."
Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865), Lincoln's Own Stories

"Work sucks!"
Alina :laugh:

"I'm trying to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up my ass."

Plus the one in my siggie

"The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away."
Robert M. Pirsig in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Nice Thread !

"Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize half of them are even stupider than that" --- George Carlin

Tere is irony in that quote because average does'nt mean half of the people are under, I mean if you are saying something that implies you are smarter than others get your semantics right. :)

I will add a qutoe from a song:
"For a hill men would kill, why? they do not know."
This song went through my mind many times in my years in the military.
The song is "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Metallica, inspired by Hemingway's novel about the spanish civil war. But the words apply to all wars.

English translation!

Every thinker does. Human thinking is limited, not to mention our perception upon things.
But we, romanians, have a saying: the exception makes the rule even more valid. ;)

Or in English, The exception proves the rule.

Kind of reminds me of a boss I had years ago, a very nice polish woman who gave me this gem

Don't examine the teeth of a horse that has been given to you as a gift.

I asked her, you mean "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth"?

2 quotes

My dad always used to say, "If you're falling off a cliff, you may as try to fly. You have nothing to lose." - Captain John Sheridan, Babylon 5

Also:

A man who swings a cat by the tail learns a lesson that can only be learned that way - unix fortune

When you have fat friends there are no see-saws, only catapults.
-Demetri Martin

Now a serious one. This is from the book Speaker For The Dead by Orson Scott Card.

...But when it comes to human beings, the only type of cause that matters is final cause, the purpose. What a person had in mind. Once you understand what people really want, you can't hate them anymore. You can fear them, but you can't hate them, because you can always find the same desires in your own heart.

Boris Vian

so far, my favorite is from Boris Vian:

don't shoot, the enemy is you!

:)

"A thief thinks every man steals"

"A thousand probabilities do not make one truth"

"There is no loot"

:D

Looks like Gide has a dilemma ;)

I already answered to this post but something else came to my mind:
It was about Gide's quote:

"Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."
Andre Gide

If you trully think about it, it isnt a dilemma at all. It is not a contradiction either.
I have some few interpretations of it:
1. One should seek the truth and not take as granted what someone else tells that he already found it.
2. You should believe someone who still seeks the truth exactly because that person aknowledges that he didnt find it yet.
3. Truth is often something relative, when someone claims to have found it, that person is very likely to tell a lie.

Last edited:
Great thread here BMW, as always ;)

My fav quotes are: "Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance"

and "The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting"

Sun Tzu, the author of "Art Of War"

I would love to see some "Art of Peace" quotes someday too :D :laugh:
nice quotes H0n3y! :)

Reminds me of the many balancing and other economic threads!

From UNIX fortune:

Horngren's Observation:
Among economists, the real world is often a special case.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for one day. Teach a man to fish, and your favorite fishing hole will be empty. unknown

"You say you seek the truth? That's silly, child. Have you sought and validated all the lies first?"

"You don't know happiness till you've experienced sadness."

"We seek wisdom in words, yet it is our wisdom that dictates the meaning of those words."

Fall seven times, stand up eight. - My so ever wise brother, in a drunk moment :D

In war, there are no unwounded soldiers. - José Narosky

I would love to see some "Art of Peace" quotes someday too....

Here is one for you.

"The tru art of war, is to maintain peace" From Kahr's big book of war and pace :)

An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mohandas Gandhi

No-one quoted finnish skijumper Matti Nykanen. All the quotes from him are great, "so not".

This is old one I guess and don't know exactly how it goes or who said it but "if there is no good there is no evil either". Like evil is required for good to exist and vice versa.

Back