Are melee users draining the loot pool

Do melee users drain the loot pool

• Total voters

SODERD

Marauder
soderd soder soderstrom
Decay goes to MA and all the melee hunting cost are decay.

so Yes or No?

No. MA (could've been Marco) has stated that only a portion of decay is taken. The rest is cycled back into the economy (read: loot pool). That, and the decay is higher on most melee weapons than it is on ranged weapons to compensate for the lack of ammo.

No. MA (could've been Marco) has stated that only a portion of decay is taken. The rest is cycled back into the economy (read: loot pool). That, and the decay is higher on most melee weapons than it is on ranged weapons to compensate for the lack of ammo.

What Joser said :D

thanks for the info guys

as melee user i doubt it

even if, its unlikely that melee users (which aren't that many) would take more cash out of the system than LA owners and resellers etc. :silly2:

as melee user i doubt it

even if, its unlikely that melee users (which aren't that many) would take more cash out of the system than LA owners and resellers etc. :silly2:

no ofc not =) i dont want to trash talk the scratchers, just wanted to know if MA takes all decay from melee users.

I replied yes, Marco said they take out "some" of the decays for MA profit....In other words, they leave 1 PEC and take the rest :D

<satirical>

Melee users certainly drain the loot pool! there is no doubt about that! come on, it's ALL decay and no ammo. ... wait, hang on ... no, it's BLP users that drain the loot pool, there are more BLP hunters than melee, so they drain the loot pool ... actually, no, it's the laser gun users who drain the loot pool ... no, no, wait it is the crafters for sure, they drain the loot pool!

And now to something completely different: In fact it is the players who get HOFs and ATHs who really drain the loot pool, I mean that is very obvious, isn't it? And since the number of globals are more than HOFs and ATHs, count them in too - they are the ones that take out of the loot pool, so they are draining it!

Conclusion: hunters, crafters and miners drain the loot pool, every time you loot you drain the loot pool - only the healers are the good ones, and the resellers! :D So next time you see a reseller in PA, blow them a big kissie kissie, because they don't drain the loot pool! :laugh:

</satirical>

MA did a bad move by telling that their income comes from decay and the rest goes back into the loot pool.

Probably a statement made to get rid of even more crazy speculations.

It's basically easy, "Total what players spend" + "Advertising income" - "Total MA operation cost" = "Loot distribution pool".

I voted No.

But...

Even if they didnt add anything to the lootpool, just pay MA, that isnt taking any loot away from hunters who use guns. MA are a buisness, they are going to take the profit the deem fit which is best in the interest of the buisness. Ignore the fabled 'MA take decay only', all we spend doing PvE activites goes into a pot, MA take their cut, the rest gets dished out back to use.

MA have also stated that it costs an average of $1 per hour for someone to play - therefore the real drain on loot are those who don't hunt/mine/craft but stand around chatting or sweating etc.

the pool is drained by the people who get big and never deposited(or deposited small) , example

You do a small deposit of $100

You play for quite some time, even that is rarely seen nowadays, and you have some skills and you get a big hof like a 12k argo.

The guy chips out and withdraws 15k ped , thats the guy you want.

That is the guy who ruins evrything for us.

So if you know a guy like this, we are looking for him, plz state his name and we will harras him. :laugh:

Presuming its a guy, we all know girls handle money better, well then ........ better than me. :laugh::silly2:

the pool is drained by the people who get big and never deposited(or deposited small) , example

You do a small deposit of $100

You play for quite some time, even that is rarely seen nowadays, and you have some skills and you get a big hof like a 12k argo.

The guy chips out and withdraws 15k ped , thats the guy you want.

That is the guy who ruins everything for us.

So if you know a guy like this, we are looking for him, plz state his name and we will harrass him. :laugh:

Presuming its a guy, we all know girls handle money better, well then ........ better than me. :laugh::silly2:

I assume you're talking about the recent 12k Argo Gatherer HoF there? And yes, I know the guy, I've known him for over 20 years IRL and introduced him to EU. Like me, he's on a limited income so hasn't deposited as much as many players have.

No, he's not planning on chipping out and leaving; yes, he is planning on taking some of the PEDs to fund a RL purchase - specifically an ice axe and/or crampons for winter hillwalking/scrambling.

If you have a problem with this then I suggest you get a RL hobby that involves going outside and exercising more than just your hands on the mouse and keyboard.

I think if someone tried to tell you what to do with the money from a HoF you'd tell them where to go as well.

MA have also stated that it costs an average of $1 per hour for someone to play - therefore the real drain on loot are those who don't hunt/mine/craft but stand around chatting or sweating etc.

Crap I am one of those guys that have no ped so I just stand around and drain the loot pool by doing nothing but chat and sweat... :silly2:

I use a blade, and I'm pretty sure that I mostly contribute to the loot pool.

Hi,
Decay goes to MA
Right.
And little children are picked by storks from a frog pool, and carried to the happy parents.

Kidding? Any money deposited goes to MA, check their quarterly reports - they don't care a rat's ass about ammo, decay or such things! This is called "Money in".

Then there's the costs for employees, servers, leases, profit, Ferraris, platinum coated wheel caps, Marcos "Ladies" etc. - this is "Money out".

(Money in - Money out) = Money to drop in loot.

Very simple. You need a degree in MBA not to understand ,-)

Then there's things that they (esp. their MBA's) tell us. This is called "Marketing speech" - and as such it contains usually as much truth as an average Micky Mouse Comic.

As I said, check the quarterly reports, maybe get someone for help that knows how to read 'em. You'll see a very simply scheme. And you'll even see that there's not even an account "saved money for potential withdrawings"; which means that in case of a withdrawal panic only the fasted ones would get some money. IMHO - correct me if you interpret the QR in another way.

And don't believe all that people tell you.

Have fun!

PS: voted "No", for sure!

To all those saying MA's paychecks don't come from decay...

No, MindArks revenue stream is from decay. So it is not an urban legend. All other areas (auction fee, ammo, etc) is cycled back into the economy.

The loot pool is a lie.

Voted no, of course not. There'd still be loot even if everyone used melee only.

But I'm willing to declare war on all melee users anyway if you want :D

Not sure why people honnestly believe that MA only takes a certain proportion of your deposits... whatever you deposit is MA money. It's rather that a proportion of what is spent on amo and decay is cycled back into loot...

Voted no, only ubers drain the lootpool :laugh:

Not sure why people honnestly believe that MA only takes a certain proportion of your deposits... whatever you deposit is MA money. It's rather that a proportion of what is spent on amo and decay is cycled back into loot...

Not really.

Money removed from the system (by means of being spent and not returned as loot) is certainly MA money. As is any money they make from interest on money being held in the game.

But they treat all PED in-game as a contingent liability, since it can in theory all be withdrawn at any point. There's an MA statement referring to just that fairly recently somewhere. I dare say MA will have some estimates as to how much they can expect to see being withdrawn over a given time period, but they still have to factor in the possibility that more than expected will be withdrawn.

Its like a bank, you can put money in, and you can take it out. Obviously the taking out happens less than with a bank, but the principle is pretty much the same. Just that in Bank EU we have ways of spending the money in our bank, and also the possibly of interacting directly with other account holders in the bank :D

Last edited:
I never vote on these things (so I didn't here, either).

But I thought I'd share this controversial thought.

"System Decay" can be expressed as the difference between pre-use value and post use value. While many people will argue over this, I would put ammo into the same bucket as item decay (read: identical option sources). It goes from 1 pec to 0 pec through it's expenditure, and is 100% operationally analogous to weapon decay with one tiny exception: its value is held in inventory while a melee weapon value is held purely in condition. This difference is purely semantics.

Furthermore, this systemic decay applies to all activities -- it is nothing more than the spent value used in the process of doing whatever you do, and can be as simple as adding reduction in condition and inventory.

THIS is why MA's money comes from decay, as it's as solid a measure of (gross) transfer from our (in-EU/virtual) resources to MA's (out of EU/real) resources as anything else -- and they simply divide it up between expenses/profits and re-investments -- which puts it back into virtual EU resources in what we call the loot pool.

The mechanics of this really couldn't be simpler. Total system decay minus expenses and re-investments = MA profits. As black box analogies go, you couldn't get more refinement without inside information. However, this representation DOES show why MA could flat-out state why their profit comes from (a portion of) decay. Where else would it come from?

Note: Marco's statement was made before the advertising system was added - advertisements do make an impact, but this it's not germane to this topic and I don't see any evidence that it alters the base equation other than reducing their expenses, perhaps (by partially funding it).

Essentially, to differentiate between weapon decay and system (inventory) decay would require information about the system itself, whereas treating them as identical option sources gives a meaningful analogy of inputs and outputs to the system.

The net result and point in this thread: melee is no different (from a funding perspective) than ranged weapons.

Decay goes to MA and all the melee hunting cost are decay.

so Yes or No?

There are ranged weapons that uses decay as part of their "ammo", such as Maddox IV, and ML45 PSG. And what's about Mann MHP DlxE (5 ammo 12 dmg)? :laugh:

Back