• I play about the same

Votes: 43 16.1%
  • I play more

Votes: 23 8.6%
  • I play alot more

Votes: 20 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, yes, obviously i'm a miner. That doesn't mean that i don't know how hunting works or about returns. And i am a miner because i see more potential for profit there, not because of different tt return. As i said earlier, it's all about managing markups, because in the end, tt return always evens out.

Just to indulge you... Here's my results sheet from december on hunting.

Mobs hunted: Ituma, fresco, proterons, some dasp. (Explanation of abbreviations, TT WAA=TT return including Weapons/Ammo/Amps, TT WAAFA=same as TT WAA, but also with fap and armor, Deftotal=Total defence costs (armor, fap, plates and markups).

TT return counting only weapon/ammo/amp around 95%, with armor/fap included around 92%. Most profit is due to angel feet (7.4k) and salamander part (2k). So, as you can see, even with 95% returnn i would have lost due to lack of markup and because i was using very expensive setup mostly.

And that's why i prefer mining, not because of returns, but because of more markup.

Actually the 90% figure that i used, is a safe estimate overall, which can be applied to all avatars and professions in the long run, assuming they don't do stupid things. (Like hunting with oldskool weapons at 3ha, or droping all bombs in one place).

My personal avg retun with that ATH (I ever had only 1 ath), is over 95%. Was having profit overall before it, and continue to do so after it. So it was just a nice additional bonus.

I don't honestly know what me being in any soc has to do with this discussion, but i'll answer anyway. I'm no uber, only ~165k total skills. The reason why i'm in ex cons is because there was a merge with midlvl soc, in which i was at the time. Since then i have been working hard to raise my total skills, which is not so easy thing for me, as skills are not my ultimate goal.

And concerning other professions, i believe i answered already. And concerning crafting, i simply don't have enough capital for good BPs and skills needed to craft profitable stuff.

I can see that your hunting results are based in two or three good loots. (Probably with some uber items or items with very high MU). This reality is different in mining where is possible a loot with less swings. Hunters normally do not obtain uberitems or items with very high MU. And for that reason his reality is only near the average of your information remarked in red color. That is the explanation of your records from my point of view.

Example, i am hunter of level 48. I never won an item uber then my results are always in red. In mining (prospector) i am level 17. In mining is possible to me to play and skilling without money. In fact, thats all that in this time i am doing. And for that reason, i knew that you are a miner and not a hunter before to see your info of tracker

Thank You for your explanation. ;)

I can see that your hunting results are based in two or three good loots. (Probably with some uber items or items with very high MU). This reality is different in mining where is possible a loot with less swings. Hunters normally do not obtain uberitems or items with very high MU. And for that reason his reality is only near the average of your information remarked in red color. That is the explanation of your records from my point of view.

Example, i am hunter of level 48. I never won an item uber then my results are always in red. In mining (prospector) i am level 17. In mining is possible to me to play and skilling without money. In fact, thats all that in this time i am doing. And for that reason, i knew that you are a miner and not a hunter before to see your info of tracker

Well, yes, exactly. Without those 2 items, it would have been a loss. However, TT return is still 92-95% regardless of that. That was my whole point, profit/loss has nothing to do with tt return, but rather with markups. (Both input and output)

I posted results, not to illustrate profitability of hunting, but rather tt return. Lack of markup in hunting, is a matter of another discussion.

I used to play ~40 hours/week, now I'm playing 2-10 hours/week. So yes, significant decrease...

I sold all my gear and withdrew all the peds I could. I will keep my skills for now but atm it's just too damn expensive to play, and to be honest I'm enjoying the time spent irl instead.

I posted results, not to illustrate profitability of hunting, but rather tt return.

Of which your results conclude the same as several data sets from other players I have worked with in recording a detaled analysis over the 2007/2008 period.

MA as they have said have not changed anything dramatically in this respect.

The system still does provide a 90 - 95% return for most TT wise ...

And markup wise to 100% if not slightly above TT + Markups paid out over the long term from results observed thus far in an attempt to make this game free-2-play for everyone over the long term.

The problem is mostly in the short term with the buffering of your funds required to achieve this ...

... especially when your hitting certain areas where subset rules are at work that increase this buffering such as over-supply of resources/items on the market where a slower release from the loot-table is in effect, or when your decayed outgoing markup contribution is not within tolerance of the markupable items and resources being released from the loot table of the mob your hunting or area your mining.

Also there is the requirement for a steady growth of "willing to invest into valuable items" new business at a rate appropriate to offset clients leaving the service and maintain investment levels required to pay the invested revenue generating asset holders (Malls/LAs/etc), generate acceptable revenue (Partner/MA) & maintain overall free-2-play status for the clients using the service.

^^ Those who stick around long term achieving this more than those leaving early with a loss all taken into consideration in calculating this.

Those who normalise their results through working at low overall markups in and out while working at their profession level can see such results quite easily.

For example > https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/general-economy-discussion/175397-tt-return-2009-real-statistics.html

Those working with higher markups, between different taxed land % tax settings and all sorts of other wonderful variables that make setting a control for testing awkward do not easily see such results over short term periods and thus is naturally frustrating and angering (Very much to a destructive psychological point on the client/participant behalf for MindArk & Partner overall revenue potential no matter how wonderful the system is) as the participant goes on a rampage :wave: to vent their frustration and anger with Entropia being a gambling platform etc.

Nearly all participants will experience this as they level up their profession curves using (L) or sib based items with % markups attached at their corresponding profession levels (Or craft them which is frustrating for myself atm working with 500 - 1200% markup resources at 10 ped a pop 20+ per combine x failures)

This is where you get all these wonderful results where people start hypothesising on sine curve this and hot mob that and attempting to explain perception as a divining rod to loot (Don't tell nun I mentioned that, she will kill me);

And whatever other gifted spanners in the works (including redistributed revenue MA side via >> other such "possible" mechanisms like this one << etc;

When in fact it is just the balancing engine hard at work attempting to achieve balance & free-2-play status over the long haul based on the participants choices.

Granted the buffering can become over excessive to the point where it becomes unethical with the build up to very large 5+ digit figures.

Though this is the path MindArk has chosen to follow.

It may restrict somewhat the number of people playing and the amount of server cloud hardware required to maintain those who can afford to play this system, but even this they need to be careful on.

ie. IMHO they have taken it a little overboard with respect to the psychological impact and destructive reprecussions this impact is having on the good will of the service. (MA & FPC standard level of incompetence aside in their half hearted & rushed approach over recent years)

So Moonbiter is quite correct in what he has said,

Though many will not be able to experience this without

a) Having maintained recorded results,
b) Working with controls that allow for this to be demonstrated,
c) Have skills & equipment of a certain level working at a certain economy of scale undertaking challenges within tolerance to the prior mentioned skills vs equipment.

It is a fruitless arguement to have with people unless they experience it first hand via recorded results.

The system works to be fair and to achieve a free-2-play status in the end if your willing to stick at Entropia long term and work to achieving optimal:

• skills vs bp qr vs qual/cond (crafting)
  • skills vs equipment vs mob challenge (hunting)
  • skills vs equipment vs area primary resource loot table (mining)

All of the above vs a due diligence of current market saturation & uptake rates of what can be procured from the activity your undertaking at your level of economy of scale & affordability.

Below Quote: Natural spanners in the works to emulate the real universe in cycling the flow to a dribble from time to time aside.

Hello crew!

Here are the Balancing Manager's responses to the Q&A.

Post 18
Sometimes fairly common types of loot stop dropping completely, like Fine wool a few weeks ago. Is this on purpose or by mistake?
Submitted by Darkaner

There is always a natural variation cycle in drop rates on all items.

So can we all stop arguing and spread some :shower: :silly2: :wtg:

Yes this system is brilliant in what it sets out to achieve,
Though it does have unethically high swings which create a negative psychological impact that are very destructive to MindArk business model.

It is a system that works for now, though competitively a very poor performing one with upcoming competition from people like AffordableWorld Survival coming into play in 2010 with the new 3D engine to compete with Expensive Universe Cry2.

Hopefully we can see some level of refining over the next few years to curtail the negative effect this system has in creating what is perceived as big winners and big losers.

Ofc the big losers being those with buffered funds owed back them in their accounting record leaving the service before a release occurs with some luckily returning to achieve a release of what is owed ot them after a very long break from game.

Thankyou for reading another wall of text brought to you by yours truely :wave:

PS. Please refine this "dynamic dinosaur" to make it "less destructive" to its "own competitive existence" vs "upcoming external competition".

Executive summary from another thread for the Wall-Of-Text haters:

It is the blackboxing of how it works with veils of secrecy spiced with the player's power of assumption that does the rest in making Entropia's wheels go round.

That is why it is easy come and easy go buffered to be easy come again if you stick around long enough ... skilling up to the point where return rates eventually normalise to a greater & more consistent degree.

^^ Keeping in mind the amount of markup/taxes etc spent vs TT decayed to balance out your cost of participation in the Entropia economy vs everyone else being within tolerance levels to help with this consistency in return. (& whatever other layered rulesets such as economy item/resource management subsets, etc that impact on returns vs your funds being buffered by the accounting core for later release)

That is why skill and equipment suited for the challenge to suit your play style become important in the end.

Last edited:
There's going to be a propensity for people who actually are playing less (or who think they are) to reply to this poll and post reasons for why they're playing less because they saw the thread title and psychologically it was a trigger. Also take into account people who say they play less; they're cashing out; loot is horrible; VU 9.4 should come back online and replace VU 10; CryEngine 2 sucks; EU is too demanding on their PC, etc. -- yet they play just the same amount as before. There are always going to be naysayers and negative people that make ill-advised comments and never stop complaining. EF isn't the only forum for a MMO that has these types of people on it. Some of the people you read these comments from are some of the people that troll on EF and will jab the game at any point in time; any chance they get, and EF is the perfect place for them to carry out their message.

At least some people like Moonbiter are posting their overall returns -- good job on that. Numbers speak, not hearsay.

Let's not forget that it's impossible to lose an infinite amount of money in monthly subscription based MMO's as opposed to EU. That alone opens up Pandora's Box. And in case you were wondering, Pandora carried a jar with her and it wasn't actually a box.

Last edited:
Hours spent online are about the same, but due to longer periods of uncertain return, ammo sinked is about 50% compared to better times of the past.

Example, i am hunter of level 48. I never won an item uber,,, and !!!

I am hunter lvl 82.7 and i have not got a uber item yet...So wait for your turn, sorry the game is "dynamic" so i think you will get the item far sooner then me.:)

2 of my RL friends cannot get in the game since VU10.0 :laugh: and they were good depositors. Called one of them and asked:
"Hey mate did you solve the problem about EU login?"
"f??k that s??t game, I don't bother anymore man, I am tired of trying"

There are many many out there like that. Just some ppl still try to say the opposite. :scratch2:

I am playing about the same time BUT I am spending heaps less on mining because I never find anything much, usually poor if anything.
I was trying to get my drilling and mining skills up but unless you get a reasonable find you do not get many skill increase in those areas.
Anyway I have switched to hunting and exploring for the moment, I have managed get my martial skills up no end.
For me the game is not about getting a return but having fun and mining without finding anything and therefore not being able to skill up is just not fun. But hunting ( in the snow) and exploring is.

2 of my RL friends cannot get in the game since VU10.0 :laugh: and they were good depositors. Called one of them and asked:
"Hey mate did you solve the problem about EU login?"
"f??k that s??t game, I don't bother anymore man, I am tired of trying"

There are many many out there like that. Just some ppl still try to say the opposite. :scratch2:

Yes,

Sadly there are a lot of people out there like that.

I experience a negatively about Entropia from others to a level that is sometimes hard to digest when working with newcomers in the alternate RCE.

Sure I am negative about the :monkey:s running the show at MindArk but the Entropia system has potential, it just needs a lot of refining and for someone to obtain one of McCormicks' Lumber-I and actually go do some repetative head bashing (not in the literal sense) of personnel at MindArk & FPC until they pickup their act.

[YOUTUBE]TkQEm_etOw8[/YOUTUBE]

I think we will see a turn around eventually, progress is slow yet is being made.

The attempts at trying to get MA & FPC to stop being :monkey:s and be professional in what they do and how they do it (properly through to completion, not half hearted & rushed without adequate quality checks in place) becomes very draining.

People do not like to be angry and frustrated with the organisation that they are giving thousand to 10s of thousands of USD to each year, year in and year out. They are looking to have some fun in a "game" rather than have their assholes ripped out of them on withheld funds while MA goes off to invest these funds to make more money primarily for themselves.

Extremes have to be curtailed in the degree of greed associated with their financial services business to make it a more pleasant and affordable service to be involved with.

Either way, the negativity is not something that can go on forever without having long term damaging effects on the future of the entire service (inc. partners platform wide) in the marketplace.

^^ The effects present on Calypso will spread to these worlds over the coming decade if change at MindArk & FPC doesn't come about. Thankfully having these partners onboard buys MA & FPC more time to improve - Maybe some of them like CKI & SEE will rub off on MindArk over the coming years.

Last edited:
I started playing in the end of november, and 1th december I deposited 1kped. I've deposited around 1700 more ped after that.

Anyway, when I was new I played like 12 hours a day. Now I don't play much at all (maybe one hour a day, and some days I don't play at all) for three reasons:

1) I've maxed Breer P5 and it's expencive to use it, and big mobs are the ones I like.

2) I started a soc that I'm the only member of, and I don't want to be in charge of a soc, it will disband within seven days.

3) I feel so lonely in the game. I was in the NBK Army, but I left it cuz I just didn't feel at home there. If anyone has a soc that is good för a swedish player with 30k skills, send me a PM. Give me a reason to deposit 1k ped at the end of this month... Please, give me a reason...

I started playing in the end of november, and 1th december I deposited 1kped. I've deposited around 1700 more ped after that.

Anyway, when I was new I played like 12 hours a day. Now I don't play much at all (maybe one hour a day, and some days I don't play at all) for three reasons:

1) I've maxed Breer P5 and it's expencive to use it, and big mobs are the ones I like.

2) I started a soc that I'm the only member of, and I don't want to be in charge of a soc, it will disband within seven days.

3) I feel so lonely in the game. I was in the NBK Army, but I left it cuz I just didn't feel at home there. If anyone has a soc that is good för a swedish player with 30k skills, send me a PM. Give me a reason to deposit 1k ped at the end of this month... Please, give me a reason...

You should question the owner of the game. :cool:

i play a lot less, but mainly just because i dont have the time :rolleyes:

Play some more now than pre VU:10. :)
Game is improving and so is lootreturn so its just a relax sit back and enjoy the journey atm.

gl out there

/Arwen

You maxed P5a in 2 and a half months with only 2700peds deposited? WOW.... you should get a reward... that is some good use of peds

I play more or less the same as always. Loot have always changed from good to bad and back again for me, so nothing new there. Dont know if i spend as much thou, but my ingame time are about the same as always. :)

ps.

@Psychopathic, sent PM about soc ;)

Last edited:
You maxed P5a in 2 and a half months with only 2700peds deposited? WOW.... you should get a reward... that is some good use of peds
Are you beeing sarcastic? If not, thankee-sai. :)

(*) After a time, I know that octuber 2008 was the date of creation of FPC and Marco as CEO. Something happened with such facts. Maybe new costs for 2 enterprises (MA and FPC) and not only one like in september 2008.

You got a point there . . its obviouse.
HAVEADEPOSIT!!

Ive played much much less because of the graphics update and then I captured a lady so I didnt get round to upgrading.

Just decided to install it now, see if it works at all.

Ok today was my 5th birthday and got -2,4K so yes game may have a potential but luck there smiles for some but laugh at most of us there :laugh:

Much less now... just can't be bothered anymore.. new planets? bah! same horse different jockey.

Much less now... just can't be bothered anymore.. new planets? bah! same horse different jockey.

I've made that point many times.

The population is barely enough to sustain Calypso. How thin are we going to be spread over 2, 3, 4, 5 planets? I really hope those individual planet partners recruit many more players. Because as I see it right now, new planets will kill the game.

I've made that point many times.

The population is barely enough to sustain Calypso. How thin are we going to be spread over 2, 3, 4, 5 planets? I really hope those individual planet partners recruit many more players. Because as I see it right now, new planets will kill the game.

:scratch2:
If the population is barely enough to sustain Calypso _now_, how was it possible to sustain Calypso 3-4 years ago?

:scratch2:
If the population is barely enough to sustain Calypso _now_, how was it possible to sustain Calypso 3-4 years ago?

I don't understand. Weren't there more active players 3 years ago?

In order to sustain one extra planet, wouldn't you think Calypso would need to be overcrowded? After the split there will presumably be half the people on each.

If there were half the people on Calypso as there are right now, I'd say it would be pretty barren. Considering it is barren right now.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Back