Audited Calypso Land Deeds Revenue - Q3 – Q4, 2012

Bertha Bot

Entropia News Fetcher
Audited revenue sharing for Planet Calypso shows that the return to Calypso Land Deed holders totaled $679,643.00 for the period.

Planet Calypso revenue share numbers have been audited by PwC (PricewaterhouseCoopers), Göteborg, Sweden.

Originally Posted Here

It speaks!

Game is still alive!

game on.

wasnt all CLD sold for 6M $, so it gives like 10 % return til now?

Took just a year to get a few numbers on paper, good job.

It helps to understand the procedures before posting these nonsensical replies.

A small lesson in Accounting - 101

1. This is a backward financial statement - not a forward forecast.

2. Company financial reviews are performed for the previous 12 month (or 6/3 month in some cases) financial period.

3. Only then would any company release figures in relation to an audit of a specific segment - in this case CLD revenue.

Unable to say if 10% is a healthy return as CLD revenue is essentially a cash injection into their own company worth - PED cycling at the ultimate level.

Overall, good work MA.

the point of the auditing is to demonstrate that the CLD holders are really getting 50% of Planet Calypso revenue, not to tell you how much that amount is.

the point of the auditing is to demonstrate that the CLD holders are really getting 50% of Planet Calypso revenue, not to tell you how much that amount is.

Although exactly what constitutes Planet Calypso revenue is a secret, known only by MA, and perhaps their Auditors.

This is not like an audit of MA revenue, which has to follow legal rules for a company.

It truly epitomises the old jibe about what it takes to be an auditor. Question : what is 2+2? Answer of Auditor : what would you like it to be? (4 would be the wrong answer!).

And how many shares is there?

December 2012
Planet Calypso revenue share (USD) 252 537
50% to Deed Holders (USD) 126 269
Monthly Payout Per Deed (PED) 21.04

126 269/2.104 = 60 001.38

Looks like 60 000 deeds to me, 11 months ago.

The original press release also stated that; "In total, sixty thousand (60,000) Land Lot deeds will be created, each representing a 100 square meter plot on Planet Calypso."

It's a bit funny how 11 months ago the figures clearly show 126 269 USD were "returned to CLD holders". Which as far as I'm concerned is horse shit.

Unless I am very much mistaken the CLD payout is fixed per deed, no matter how many deeds there are. So even if 90 % of the CLDs were removed from the game - the last 10 % would not get a larger share of the money. What am I on about? Well. A lot of new deeds have been discovered since last December, in hunting, mining and crafting. By all accounts it is not that many deeds - but it means with no doubt that last December there were less than 60k CLDs in the hands of players. So the audited numbers should not give the impression that there were.

So this audited figure of 126 269 USD to "deed holders" is, if not out right wrong, then very much misleading. PwC should not have cleared them. Because now we can draw the conclusion that they are "wrong" - we have no idea how right they are. It might be that an MA avatar holds 10k deeds - effectively "paying" 1/6th of the dividends to themselves.

Edit: Unless, of course, someone can show some news that said more than 60k deeds would be made.

Edit2: I just remembered that MA bought back some CLDs. I guess that could explain it. Still, when was that?

Last edited:
MA bought some CLD back but also reserved 1000 for future release via events before the initial release.

all in all they only sold 59k shares, they kept 1k. Many have been discovered many given in events and some more being held still (how many for certain I am not sure)

So this audited figure of 126 269 USD to "deed holders" is, if not out right wrong, then very much misleading. PwC should not have cleared them. Because now we can draw the conclusion that they are "wrong" - we have no idea how right they are. It might be that an MA avatar holds 10k deeds - effectively "paying" 1/6th of the dividends to themselves.

and why not? happens with other instruments, shares, bonds etc. it often serves a company to issues shares they dont sell or buy back its own shares and not cancel them.

It could actually be more than 10,000.
Do we actually know how many CLD's are actually player owned ? ( I mean real players like you and me , not MA avatars)

Do we have any information that shows a sale of 60,000 CLD's with the corresponding incoming revenue ?

Wow, talking about a blast from the past...

It helps to understand the procedures before posting these nonsensical replies.

A small lesson in Accounting - 101

1. This is a backward financial statement - not a forward forecast.

2. Company financial reviews are performed for the previous 12 month (or 6/3 month in some cases) financial period.

3. Only then would any company release figures in relation to an audit of a specific segment - in this case CLD revenue.

Unable to say if 10% is a healthy return as CLD revenue is essentially a cash injection into their own company worth - PED cycling at the ultimate level.

Overall, good work MA.

Allow me to continue with Accounting 102:
The annual report has to be delivered and approved by the accountant no more than 6 months after year's end. So these figures should have been issued June 1st at the latest, as the revenue share is easily deducted from the yearly numbers.

The question who owns the deeds is irrelevant: whether MA holds them, or someone else, the share for that deed is still the same.

Allow me to continue with Accounting 102:
The annual report has to be delivered and approved by the accountant no more than 6 months after year's end. So these figures should have been issued June 1st at the latest, as the revenue share is easily deducted from the yearly numbers.

Er, you are talking about legal rules for companies. Planet Calypso revenue is entirely internal to MA, and therefore has no external restraints, either on method of calculation, or timing.

The financial results of the holding company which owns Planet Calypso would need to be included in the group Mindark results, and these are subject to legal restrictions, but those calculations are not necessarily the the same as the ones used in the CLD calculations.

Last edited:
MindArk announced today that to celebrate the one-year anniversary of the Calypso Land Deed event, MindArk will offer 5,000 deeds at US$115 each. The land deeds provide revenue sharing to participants so players can receive a share in the Planet Partner gross revenue of Calypso and the first deeds will be made available from the in-game auction on Wednesday, November 1, 2012.

One year ago sixty thousand Calypso land deeds were offered at US$100 each and were available through the in-game auction system.! MindArk has now negotiated a buyback of 5,000 deeds out of the 25,000 acquired by one single investor.! By performing a buyback of these deeds from one investor, the company will be able to redistribute the deeds more evenly and allow more players to join in.!!!!

[snip]

Since their introduction eleven months ago, each of the 60,000 deeds has paid out US$22.00.! This is a 24% annual return on the original investment of US$100 per deed. Currently, deeds trade at US$130 on the in-game auction, leaving an annual return of about 18% on investment.! Based on the audited revenue sharing for Planet Calypso over the last 6 months, the return to deed holders has totaled US$708,573.00.

Lots of !!!!

25.000 were taken by a single investor. MA officially bought back 5000 them, then resell them to players at 115 USD. The investor involved I know he sold also via AH some, but did it sold them all to players? kept a part? sold them back to MA?

It could be quite possible that MA still owns a sizable part of those 60k, if they did not sold them to players at 1550 when the time was right :).

MA probably just remembered that they had not posted any audited numbers for the period, and that why it's so late.

Er, you are talking about legal rules for companies. Planet Calypso revenue is entirely internal to MA, and therefore has no external restraints, either on method of calculation, or timing.

The financial results of the holding company which owns Planet Calypso would need to be included in the group Mindark results, and these are subject to legal restrictions, but those calculations are not necessarily the the same as the ones used in the CLD calculations.

Good point. That is lesson 103 :)

Back