Beware e-mail scam

ok, they must know you play EU, but they could have got your email in other ways too as many use the same email for alot if not all they do online.

Drave Robber:
:rofl:

Thing is, you could probably pin this on say 20 sites/people or in most cases a lot less.

There is no EU spam, its directed. If you really think it could be possibly random then consider this..... 10k active accounts out of 6 billion people. Haha, not even spam con artists are that stupid :rolleyes:

I bet its somebody the OP has given his email to ingame... at least thats the most likely outcome.

thats why I have one email address for sites where I buy stuff and people that I know and several for all other others sites from the free web mail systems that I use to collect spam.

I monitor the spam where I work and some of it is laughably bad.

Gmail is good for this.

I also use some personal domains for emails.

I got various "catergories" of email addresses, used for "untrusted", "possibly trusted", "personal friends" and "business" etc.

Sometimes, I even go to the extend of creating site-i-registered-at@my-domain.com. So if I get any spam into that address, I know exactly who sold my details as it will not be used for anything else at all.

:D

good post phishing is very bad on the net.

It would be interesting to try and track back the scammers IP address, I wouldn't be surprised if this idiot wasn't smart enough to cover his/her tracks...

Blackjack :cowboy:

I belive Tekkie has a point. Its probably not "spam", I think they've gathered entropians email adresses from community sites (EF. Facebook, other sites.) and sending them out. It may also be someone targeting you specifically that you already know, but I find it most probable that they intend to use that method on more people.

I'm tempted to send them an angry mail from Swedish.Gaming.Inspection@gmail.com. :yay:
:rofl: too funny!

It would be interesting to try and track back the scammers IP address, I wouldn't be surprised if this idiot wasn't smart enough to cover his/her tracks...

Blackjack :cowboy:

If he/she is using a Gmail account I wouldnt say they have not put much effort or thought into it so I wouldnt grant the person as being "smart" enough or even serious enough to be random.

Not going to put too many ideas out there but for a very small sum of cash you can reg a domain that could look very much like EU.

This is a person who has met the OP ingame. Any other route, time and effort would not be worth it from a scammers point of view.

From tracing an IP all you will get is gmail and they will not pass on the owners account ip.

If he/she is using a Gmail account I wouldnt say they have not put much effort or thought into it so I wouldnt grant the person as being "smart" enough or even serious enough to be random.

Not going to put too many ideas out there but for a very small sum of cash you can reg a domain that could look very much like EU.

This is a person who has met the OP ingame. Any other route, time and effort would not be worth it from a scammers point of view.

From tracing an IP all you will get is gmail and they will not pass on the owners account ip.

You can sometimes see the sender's IP address embedded in the email's header. As long as it's not a proxy / some other form of masking, you can at the least get an idea of which area the sender is in.

It shouldnt be too difficult. I have traped ppl in various countries in my younger days when I had the spark. Todays Im just too lazy.

Process:

0) Contact MA and let them know whatya planning to do (and inform them of the scam)
1) Create a new alt account
2) Send the scammet the info about ure new account
3) Have MA to track down the last login IP (besides yours) and just wait.
4) Ofc - DONT LOGIN TO THAT ACCOUNT EVER AGAIN

- MA will know the scammers IP soon.

Now the problem comes if they try to hide the IP.
That is done via proxies, usually those proxies are some hacked servers, but even then its somethimes easy to access the logs unless the target machine is root compromised which isnt really too easy to get a hold on. Pretty much if you have an exact timestamp of the intrusion which can not be accessed other then is hackers got to MA login servers :laugh:

You can run but cannot hide. Plus - I really dont think the scammers are that bright.

I.

subscribing to see if you can find out the sender :silly2::cool::silly2:
could you send them an email with an attachment which sends something back when you open it *rofl*

sadly someone not so familar with internet stuff might fall for it, especially when you are not very experienced such emails can scare you :(:mad::(

i love the idea of spamming the adress with false infos :D:laugh::D

You can sometimes see the sender's IP address embedded in the email's header. As long as it's not a proxy / some other form of masking, you can at the least get an idea of which area the sender is in.

Pretty sure from a Gmail account all that is included is where it is sent from... which will be the gmail server.

Gmail will not give you ip details unless you have a court order - and thats just not worth bothering with.

Getting to technical, I bet the OP has only given his email address to a few people at most... best place to start is there :)

Pretty sure from a Gmail account all that is included is where it is sent from... which will be the gmail server.

Gmail will not give you ip details unless you have a court order - and thats just not worth bothering with.

Getting to technical, I bet the OP has only given his email address to a few people at most... best place to start is there :)

That is correct. Before Gmail a person needed to use hushmail or some proxy service to avoid having the originating IP in the header, gmail from day one did not include that info. The header will givey ou squat about the originator of the email.

I once had an AOL emailadress that I never ever gave to someone or used it. Still I got way more spam to that one than to my usual one.

I guess someone from AOL sold the adresses. And yes, they also had a spam filter.

I hardly get any spam, maybe 1-2 a week...

Back