Chasing the sun.

Dusk

Elite
Trinity Dusk Trinity
So there I was, with a bit of time on my hands, not much going on either in game or IRL, and I'm flying in my VTOL as the sun is setting. It's at this point that I start to wonder whether it would be possible to chase the sun, as Concorde used to on it's routine London to New York route. By "chasing the sun" I mean to achieve the phenomenon where an aircraft travels so fast towards the west that the sun appears to rise in the west (as opposed to the usual east).

So, with my trusty Sleipnir Mk1 VTOL, I launched from Nymphtown in eastern Eudoria at dusk (d'ya see what I did there?) heading west towards Port Atlantis. Why these two locations? Well they are approximately 27km apart, at similar latitudes - plenty of time to get a good run up to catch up. There aren't two other locations so distant with a similar latitude, and I wanted to make a few measurements that I might use another time.

Anyway, there is something else you might have observed. The Concorde, to allow it's pilots to see the sun rising in the west, flies at twice the speed of sound, or 2170 kilometres/hour. My trusty Sleipnir Mk1 flies at errm..... fifty-seven kilometres/hour! :)laugh:).

But anyway, this is a virtual universe and so the normal rules of physics don't apply here. Hell, until recently we could jump off the remains of the elevated highway at Zychion and live!

So, those of you who have read this far are probably expecting me to tell you whether I caught the sun or not. Well, I was going to tell you, but having seen a thread earlier asking for suggestions for cheap things to do (one that I can no longer find - a pointer would be appreciated), I've decided not to tell you. What I suggest is that everyone gives the same flight a try (don't do it without a VTOL, that could be unhealthy :eyecrazy:). It'll cost 0.95 peds TT worth of oil, and 35 minutes of your time (those other measurements).

And for those of you with Mk2 and Mk3 Sleipnir's, with their higher maximum speeds, I'd be interested to hear your results too.

Goodluck killing time cheaply. ;)

Not to spoil the fun, but at any given time the sun is positioned at the same spot on the sky for every location on the same continent, so it's quite impossible to chase it, you just hang in the air and watch how it moves down and dims out...

And to ruin everything finally, did you know that today's gifts were placed in your loot window not by Santa but by just some FPC employee? :silly2:

Bad, bad me... :duh:

And to ruin everything finally, did you know that today's gifts were placed in your loot window not by Santa but by just some FPC employee?

Screenie or it was santa!

Gonna do this tomorrow Dusk.

For it is written.

Me an my ship shall follow you in this quest.

Not to spoil the fun, but at any given time the sun is positioned at the same spot on the sky for every location on the same continent,
*sigh* Congratulations on trying to disincentivise people from attempting to do this. Its a cheap thing to do in the EU, keeps people occupied for a bit and folk could see for themselves whether it is possible to see the sun rise in the west. But hey, I guess you have a warm glow of satisfaction from what you said so well done.

Gonna do this tomorrow Dusk.
At least someone can see the point. :)

Not to spoil the fun, but at any given time the sun is positioned at the same spot on the sky for every location on the same continent, so it's quite impossible to chase it, you just hang in the air and watch how it moves down and dims out...

And to ruin everything finally, did you know that today's gifts were placed in your loot window not by Santa but by just some FPC employee? :silly2:

Bad, bad me... :duh:
Why does everyone keep calling those big spotlights on the bottom of the robot's ship that keeps the entire planet in a gravitational tractor beam the sun?

*sigh* Congratulations on trying to disincentivise people from attempting to do this. Its a cheap thing to do in the EU, keeps people occupied for a bit and folk could see for themselves whether it is possible to see the sun rise in the west. But hey, I guess you have a warm glow of satisfaction from what you said so well done.

At least someone can see the point. :)

would be alot better to spend as much as possible so that we (those who actually tries to get a hof) can get bigger hofs and get rich.. I dont even own one of those stupid thing you can fly around in.. I use a tp chip

would be alot better to spend as much as possible so that we (those who actually tries to get a hof) can get bigger hofs and get rich
You don't know that I don't try. In fact, I know that I do try. But sometimes result mean one needs to sit back for a while and not try.

If I think of any other ways of passing time cheaply I'll be sure to post. :laugh:

you could make a video of it :D

I cant fly.. dont have a vtol :ahh:

I still think the planet is FLAT :)

greetings,

bigdeal

But anyway, this is a virtual universe and so the normal rules of physics don't apply here. Hell, until recently we could jump off the remains of the elevated highway at Zychion and live!

do we have the same M_(calypso)=M_(Earth) and M _(sun_calypso)=M_(sun_earth)...i don't think so. so the same physics are possible.....

I still think the planet is FLAT :)

greetings,

bigdeal

i think the universe is FLAT Omega=1.02\pmblabla....sry, just had astroparticle physics exam today...so don't worry..i am drunk and keep quite now:)

Well notice that the sun doesn't rise or set in a continuous fashion. Rather it jumps across the sky. Furthermore from my observations it seems the position of the sun is server dependent. So you would only see it rise in the west as you crossed server boundries. Since we know where these are, and we have the great invention known as teleportation, you don't need any vehicle to do this. Just teleport to a server boundry and walk across...

So you would only see it rise in the west as you crossed server boundries. Since we know where these are, and we have the great invention known as teleportation, you don't need any vehicle to do this. Just teleport to a server boundry and walk across...
Well yeah, but that would be too easy.:cool:

Why does everyone keep calling those big spotlights on the bottom of the robot's ship that keeps the entire planet in a gravitational tractor beam the sun?

We're gonna need bigger guns....

Hell, until recently we could jump off the remains of the elevated highway at Zychion and live!

Oh, so true what happened to those days *cough* Damn, you fpc *cough*

Back