Suggestion: Close down and retire Entropiawiki

Baldurn

Stalker
Society
Rangers
Archaon Baldurn Zantetsuken
Hi,

Since I came back to game three years ago this site has always been really slow but over time it has just got worse. Some days I can't even load a single screen and the other ones it takes half a minute to load. I learned quickly not to depend on this site due to the sporadic availability to the players and instead started using cached results from google to see the pages from the site. However, google removed these cached results a few weeks ago. So to see a cached version of a page on the site we need to google to find the link on entropiawiki and then paste it in another cache site.

This morning I was trying to help a friend compare weapon choices in the Weapon compare V2 and after one hour of carefully adding buffs, choosing amps, adding possible enhancers I almost made my recommendation to him. Luckily I was critical of the results and saw that more than half of the settings I had input had simply not registered (e.g faster reload and focused blow had registered entries but were totally missing in the calculations most possibly due to desync). If I would have given my advice without checking the formulas I would have pointed him in the completely wrong direction. At the same time I feel ashamed that I actually once again trusted this site to help me. There is a saying that the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. As such - this is the last time I used entropiawiki in order to preserve what little sanity I still have left. There is just so much abuse you can tolerate before it is enough.

Seeing how much people have complained over latency in load over the last years for this site and that unfortunately beginners are recommended to use the site to learn about the game - I propose that the database is saved but the site itself is shut down, and then ritually subjected to senicide while all the wronged players can join in hymn to celebrate never having to be subject to these loading times again.

"Hosted by MindArk. All data is collected from users. There is no guarantee of accuracy. Use at your own risk. All images are © MindArk PE and are believed to be used under the terms of fair use."

It's a disgrace of a website, tbh.

Like a dairy cow no longer producing any milk, take it behind the barn and shoot it between the eyes.

maybe MA can make the database open source, so that anyone with a good programming brain and initiative can build his own modern version of it, a bit like there are several cyrene websites...

free market competition, let the best programmer win.

obviously all new sites have be be freely accessible. That is the condition for using the original database ;)

I've been asking for a database dump for quite a while... but if I'm to do all the work of setting up a new and improved wiki there's no way I'm doing it 100% for free.

So we'll see what comes of it, if anything. Atleast I would be able to setup a simple API to query the DB.

if anyone is able to dump the database
i can have it on a SQL server in few days
i see that some tables can be exported in CSV
and mobile app has a "remote dump" on mobiles
an sql can also halp tracking WHO modifies what
if just game had on the chatlog the name and maturity of monster we could have a fully automated update much like wowhead

IMO MindArk buying out the knowledge base that the EU community has built up for 15 years and paternalistically shutting it down a few years later sounds absolutely dystopian. If another Wiki gains popularity and comes to dominate Entropedia/EntropiaWiki, it should be a bottom-up process of players gradually and organically switching, not a top-down decision to yank it.

they shoul make a ingame wiki with compare weapons etc mobs spawns like in other games, and all that info make it exportable into different programs. its 2024 its a few coding. it just takes will to act. for example clicking on 1 mob it could just show the loot table and drop rate.

It's all very well shooting this one but it's too invaluable a resource especially for new players. We need a functioning one so the best option may be to take the database for this one and build a new and improved one.

If we can't get the database for this one then to build one from scratch. At the end of the day it's in everyone's interest including MA to have a functioning wiki.

they shoul make a ingame wiki with compare weapons etc mobs spawns like in other games, and all that info make it exportable into different programs. its 2024 its a few coding. it just takes will to act. for example clicking on 1 mob it could just show the loot table and drop rate.
Exactly.

There should be an entire team at MindSrk dedicated to Information & Analytics that is in charge of things like Codex, adding all the wiki info into the game, adding functionality like LBML into the game, adding all the info from programs like Entropia Life, Entropia Hunter, etc. All this data should be accessible in the game, all saved as you discover things IN GAME.

Entropia should have the most data points available of any game out there yet it literally has the least, not even an API.

In the early days they were likely planning on this but when they seen the players figuring things out slowly on their own they probably just went "ah well, let them figure it out, we'll call it a feature and that'll save us coding it". Lazy.

100% this would be one of the best changes for the game!

could make it so you need to have completed rank 25 on a mob to see possible loot drops or have a list that has ??? until you loot the item, then it unhides it

Remember, its a sandbox game. Information is meant for each and every one of us to find out for ourselfs. Thats why the game has lived this long. If Mindark starts breastfeeding everyone it will just become a ordinary game and it will eventually die sence everything is just spoon feed and no effort has to be made to gain something out of the game.

could make it so you need to have completed rank 25 on a mob to see possible loot drops or have a list that has ??? until you loot the item, then it unhides it

I've been thinking for a few weeks we could have a loot table in codex. Loot table stays completely empty and only gets filled in as and when you loot items/resources from a mob. So keeps it a mystery initially as you don't know what or how many things can drop from it, indeed no data initially.

everyone is like kill the wiki lol doesnt make much sense when all i hear people saying is download the csv files for everything from there... and when you realise how many people are doing this on repeat to cover small changes instead of have it run monthly its no wonder the load times are just getting worse and worse

and when you realise how many people are doing this on repeat to cover small changes

how many people is it?

you seem to have realised how many it is that are downloading the files, and in your mind this is somehow what is making entropiawiki slow..............

stop putting the blame of the fucking disgraceful performance of the entropiawiki on the users.

I propose that the database is saved but the site itself is shut down, and then ritually subjected to senicide while all the wronged players can join in hymn to celebrate never having to be subject to these loading times again.

Absolute gold.

Or maybe give lifescanners a point in game? Getting this info via scanners would make sense.

As for the wiki... It's bloated, uses an outdated platform that's been hacked to hell, lacks proper caching, and is barely usable at times. Additionally, a good chunk of the data and functions provided to the site are guarded and not shared openly for whatever reason.

In reality, this whole wiki is something Mindark should have integrated into EU. But "what MA shoulda done" is a list that stretches here to the moon. At the very least it needs to be rebuilt...

But those willing to do it for free lack the skill and those with skill either aren't going to do and offer it for free or they are never going to be provided with what they need (source code, ftp access, database access...etc) to actually get the job done without manual scraping and extrapolation (and on a site that can't even handle regular traffic that is a nightmare). Not to mention, there's a lot more people looking to use the site for free than there are people looking to work on the site and update the info.

Personally, I have the skill but I too fall into the category of those that first ask "what the hell's in it for me?". If this were a client job I'd be asking north of $10k to do it.

So here we are....

Last edited:
Wiki is our history here , would be a shame to lose it.

There was an extended time already without having the Wiki working at all. During that time there was a fellow member here who wrote a complete clone, and offered it to the community. I checked it out, it was really good. But what happened? He was treated like sh*t on the forum! It was really toxic for no good reason. I haven't seen him in a while, don't know if he even plays any longer. His name was Detritus the Troll. Well done, "community"! Now you want MA to spend money and fill in for your failure? Go pound sand, seriously. If we don't get it up again one day, we'll get a database dump and someone might redo it. But I predict nobody's passion will last long in this atmosphere.

Edit: Works fine again just now. If things don't get worse than having to reboot it ever so often, I doubt there is much impetus for jumping ship.

Last edited:
main point is
1. accesses are few so its not an overload from users leading to slowness
2. most probablyu the database engine is a old one and was never updated

this game has a fraction of WOWO data and wowhead run pretty fine with 10m users so database query is not the point
all tables recoded in mysql or MS sql can handle 1000x actual playerbase on a 20 eur per month cloud service
ma HOST the site, data are ofc free for all.
before we get an "hardware failure (TM)" on wiki, it would be good to have an alternative.

with MA support just adding a "mosnter, maturity" in loot description on chat log, the same parser technology we have for entropialife and entropiatally can be used to automatically update a database
we would ahve significatn statistic history on loot tables and more.

i can recognize that "asymmetry of information" is what leads to MU niches in game and as an exmaple if we all know that "muscle oil best loot for ped shot ratuo is a xxxx " it would remove some "opportunities" but is a small price for knowledge

how many people is it?

you seem to have realised how many it is that are downloading the files, and in your mind this is somehow what is making entropiawiki slow..............

stop putting the blame of the fucking disgraceful performance of the entropiawiki on the users.
sheesh relax dude its just one of the things helping the wiki be so slow no need to be so agro i aint the one running the server 😅

the funny thing is all the data is there..
basic forum server setups are all over the net waiting to be setup..

anyone here could make the new wiki without any need to code etc at all...
not sure why the new wiki is taking so long or has to try be this sleek website when its more about function lol (no hate on the folk making the new wiki. love that yall decided to take it on your own backs and reimagine the site but it dont help us... yet ♥ )

I culd setup a New one,but people want to use it for free, maybe the reason why it sucks atm is that it is free ? Living life teached me : if you want Quality you must pay a fee

I propose that the database is saved but the site itself is shut down, and then ritually subjected to senicide while all the wronged players can join in hymn to celebrate never having to be subject to these loading times again.
Like a dairy cow no longer producing any milk, take it behind the barn and shoot it between the eyes.

Ok, now you can take the darn thing behind the barn and shoot it dead!

We have an alternative that is already far superior even though it's a WIP at this stage. I especially like the new improved weapon compare it's a loadout compare! :)

For more details on the new wiki see:
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...ropia-nexus-my-take-on-a-wiki-i-guess.299078/

I would like a behemoth of a site that is a combination of forum, wiki, entropialife and support, runned properly by MA
so we log in with same way as we do now with game and support. This should be managed by someone who is genuinely
enthustiatic about it.
Combination of these could open up more features, also possible to be mirrored back to game with values needed.
First months will be hectic but in time it will slow down.
Players could still fill in info and values in the wiki part, with the feature that when we do so with right info the MA staff
can then "lock" info and mark it as 'Confirmed by MA*. That way we get right info. ;)

Back