Dmatrix was hacked

WOW ballsy! I just sent a PM to the person i had an open chat window after my hacking.

here is a copy:

Dmatrix: are you there?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: hi
Dmatrix: Do you know what happened 2 days ago?
Dmatrix: my account was hacked 2 days ago, and alot of ped stolen, when i logged back in i had a chat box open with your avatar.
Dmatrix: I have everything recorded, so you either helped hacking or are also a victim, do you have anything to say to that?

No response since.

You should have said:

"Shì wǒ" (是我) - Its me

And then use a translator to figure out how to say "give me all your items quickly, I have a buyer"

Maybe the dumbfuck would have thought you were his friend and gave you whatever he had :D

I could not bring myself to real all the comments, I got to page 5 or 6 so far.

I agree fully on using the gold card, I had an authenticator back in my WoW days too.

Hopefully this will not happen to any other players, and it is a real shame this has already happened to two players that we know of.

What surprises me most is that EU still haves only the basic login for any player.
(Example) I recently started playing the game Maplestory after a 10 year or so hiatus. Free to play game with an item shop. There you got the basic login. Then you need to enter a 4-digit pin (on a keyboard that switches all the numbers around, you click your code, untraceable unless some one is recording your action) then you can go to the character screen, and then you got another password you need to enter to actually start playing with the character of choice.
In the end, that 2D free to play game has even better protection than the bank I use to do my banking. So it is worrying that this game, which can even be viewed by some as a savings account, where avatars can be worth thousands of dollars, just haves an ordinary login like any other game with an optional gold card.

And before anyone takes me wrong, I know that this hacking problem is not fully the fault of MA, but some CEO's should have at least walked into the office one morning to figure out more ideas to increase the login security for the users of their video game.

And for those that did manage to read everything including this message, protect yourself. And I feel sorry for you Dmatrix, it is not fun being hacked in any game, especially this one where the helpdesk is not one of the best. Feels like you are being robbed of not only your items, but also from every effort and sweat you have put into your avatar.
Good thing is, they got their 50day withdraw time to investigate withdraws from the game, and I hope none is foolish enough to buy money from goldsellers. (and yes, we got goldsellers now which is not a good sign in any game)

Learned that lesson myself my friend the hardest way get gold card imidietly.Thats what i did i didnt belive i need it for years but well on the end i learned it the hardest way so from now on i suggest it to everyone i know.

[OFFTOPIC]
Or if you login from a different computer you have to authorise that computer with a code emailed to you (like steam does)
Sadly that don't help Steam at all — trojans just steal "autorization file" instead. And new generation don't do even this — it trade items from your PC, so even no IP change etc. And a lot of peoples hijacked there. So Steam way worse from security point of view. And don't forget, even DB with their clients was stoled few years ago. Main issue there - they don't provide ability to add one-time authorization code to your account.
[/OFFTOPIC]

For anyone who questions gold card security....

If you buy a £600 mountain bike, would you really use a £1 chain to secure it? Or worse, nothing at all.

'Gold' Selling has been going on in other MMO's for over 10 years (WOW is 10+ years old) - it's nothing new, it's new in Entropia because of Rookie Chat implementation ("Buy Ped .......") and other changes that now may make it worthwhile.

We dont know the full story yet, how login and passwords were taken, who has transferred Ped, be glad if you are locked, because if you are no one else can login and delete / sell anything else.

If you are innocent and you know you are, you just have to wait it out, if youve been gullible or implicated, then it'll take longer.

When youre unlocked, get the password changed, and buy a gold card, because one things for sure, in 8 years, I've never seen a Gold Card User hacked.

Surely if MA gets the message in time (like here), those peds will not find the way out of the system. But if smartasses bought the peds, they may get hurt, and they are the ones that should be hurt. But even online payments can be withdrawn in a case like this.
Lets hope MA can resolve and recover it quick. There is alot of clear evidence that you were hacked and the history logs are still fresh.

My condolences

That's rough man, and it seems you're not alone. I've heard of at least three avatars that have been compromised within the last 6 months.

I'll FL you and talk to you ingame. Again, my condolences on your misfortune, and I hope you can get a satisfactory resolution to this situation.

Hang in there,

-KingNobody

Yes the second part is Norwegian!

Rén ne (人呢)

I am from Norway and that is Norwegian, cos I always talk like that after 10 bottles of vodka:wise: LMAO

Why did MA remove the offer to buy gold cards through PEDs in TT machine?

I also found this odd, I bought my gold card through the TT many years ago, I checked yesterday because I couldn't even remember how much I paid for it and the option was no longer there. Put it back!

impossible for a human but a computer dont see it the same way.

and also.

How do you know the web page you use for generating your pw doesent save all pw´s generated and give the owner a huge list to play with?

If i wanted to know how people think regarding their passwords i would setup a "test your password strength" site and save all queries :)

You can download an open source program such as keepass instead so that the passwords are generated on your own machine. This does not help if your machine is already hacked but if it is hacked later they would still have to figure out your master password to access your database.

Everybody would feel better if MA would take measures if something similar happens.

More than the details in investigations (it shouldn't be that hard to understand when an account war hacked), the important is to make this a default service from MA, of course under request, and with a cost as it is the TT item recover already.

My 2 pecs but if something like this happens to me (I HAVE GOLD CARD!) I'd love to be able to recover back everything at a cost like 1000-2000 PED.

Please PM me names too.

Cant be done and shouldnt be done. Why? It can lead to item duplications.
Example i have Modified Fap and think damn i need another, now i use other computer over Proxy and steal the mod fap from myself and give it to someone i trust. Now i just contact MA and say, Hey look MA i was hacked give me back my stuff for tt price+1k ped.

MA cant ban anyone, as all trades are final and it could have been real trade so they cannot delete mod fap from the receiver either.

So after much hassle i would have 2 mod faps and i would only pay tt+1k ped for the second one.

K. as it sure sounds as i dont want hackers and scammers to be banned i have to add this: All that kind of accusations should be treated manually one by one, and not some simple rule tt+1k to restore. Many cases where two ppl bet in real life on football match (via Facebook) for online item (lets say dante amp) and later ingame just trade the item for nothing in return (sure it looks like scam for those who see only game data). MA cant prefer story of one side to story of the other side. There might be outer factors that affected these trades and no trade is a scam by default.

In this case OP account was by big chance stolen and accessed by someone else, but as long as there are no evidence that would show some hacking i think MA cant do much (sure they can lock the receiving player and ask him for ID verification and his story and then decide)

So many accounts hacked, not one reply from MA in support cases. My guess is that MA have been the target and are trying to sort it out before they reply to anyone.

So many accounts hacked, not one reply from MA in support cases. My guess is that MA have been the target and are trying to sort it out before they reply to anyone.

So many? I have read about 2.
Some accounts locked (but we have seen, that few of those were due to 3rd party software use and also one was just credit card fraud that the OP tried to deny)

If MA system was compromised then there would be thousands of stolen accounts and servers already down.

Last edited:
I've read 4 now I think

I've read 4 now I think

This is getting confusing now , imagine how it is at MA, if we have seen 4 then they are probably getting a lot more and if they have to investgate each case to track items/peds it probably explains why it is taking so long.

also one was just credit card fraud that the OP tried to deny)

which post was this ?

ah ok thanks , yeah I thought it was a recent one ....

To OP are you registered with your email you use in EU to another entropia related website / forum ?
Is you E-Mail address your Entropia Username to log on to EU ?

I am wondering how the attack verctor workded, in Dorian's Case he didn't find any Malware so far, so somehow someone must have guessed or stolen the username password combination.

If in your both cases The used E-mail address is the same as the login username, that would explain at least part1 of the question.

My idea behind this, that maybe user information from another EU related site/forum maybe leaked somehow. This could be anything related to Entropia ( only then it makes sense to try to use them to hack Entropia-Accounts ).

Maybe i am poking in the dark atm, but with so many security holes in several forum software, boards, wikipages ... This scenario might not be unlikely. And then even if not equal, maybe the password was easy to guess from deriving guesses from the known password of possibly leaked credentials ?

BR

Ah and would wyou be so kind to send me the avatar name which was deleted via pm ? TYVMIA

Last edited:
Sounds like MA data has been hacked? From the chat in dmatrix chat window, possibly by chinese hackers.

So if they are getting peopled details then I would keep changing your password often if you don't use card. Or the best possible defense would be to keep your avatar logged in constantly then they wont be able to log into it (I am skeptical that dmatrix got disconnects for this reason).

Maybe change email password incase that been hacked but I very much doubt it, it seems clear MA have been hacked as the attackers obviously gained access to a central source of account details.

I don't have a gold card but I don't care cause I sold out everything (except skills) a bit ago.

My advise: Keep your avatar logged in untill MA have managed to get control of this situation, they may do restore too maybe. If they are hacked then the responsibility clearly lies with them to reimburse everyone effected they cant wriggle out of that.

cheers

I remember that on 24th december I saw Planet Toulan webpage hacked...but don't know if this can be related with hacked accounts...

Sounds like MA data has been hacked? From the chat in dmatrix chat window, possibly by chinese hackers.

If that would have happened, there would be a lot more than 2 cases on the forum.

Hopefully MA or the people involved will be able to explain how this occured when the investigation is complete.

In the mean time, those with Gold Cards can continue to feel safe, and those without can consider whether it is time to get one (or change / strengthen their existing password)

So if they are getting peopled details then I would keep changing your password often if you don't use card. Or the best possible defense would be to keep your avatar logged in constantly then they wont be able to log into it (I am skeptical that dmatrix got disconnects for this reason).

Maybe change email password incase that been hacked but I very much doubt it, it seems clear MA have been hacked as the attackers obviously gained access to a central source of account details.

I don't have a gold card but I don't care cause I sold out everything (except skills) a bit ago.

My advise: Keep your avatar logged in untill MA have managed to get control of this situation, they may do restore too maybe. If they are hacked then the responsibility clearly lies with them to reimburse everyone effected they cant wriggle out of that.

cheers

We play together with a girlfriend, and at least in the past, logging from different machine disconnected the already logged user on other one.

Hm, what exactly gave you that idea? :scratch2:

No keylogger
No password change needed to re-enter account - hacked email would need them to change PW to get in
I would change passwords if you visit many outside sites just to be sure.

Last edited:
No keylogger
Maybe I miss something, but how you can know - no keylogger/rootkit/trojan was involved?

Did you had full snapshot of the system at any time and investigated all of them?

If some "antivirus"/"antimalware" didn't found anything that don't tell us anything at all. Most of them can't find even fresh versions of existing "malware". Not talking about something completely new or something targeted to attack specific class of users (in our case EU players).

Not talking about old rootkits, which was undetected for many years since developed.

Also when attack was already finished I don't see any point fro cracker (unless he's a complete idiot) to keep any traces on machine and not clear all of them. In other words - what reason to keep keylogger after they already stole all they need?

So, before we will get any additional info from MA I don't see any proof it was their fault and not users. Especially since only few was attacked (if that was data leak from MA I will expect much more accounts affected).

Just my 2pec.

P.S. I'm not trying to protect MA, they don't need that, just don't like unfounded rumors.

Last edited:
Maybe I miss something, but how you can know - no keylogger/rootkit/trojan was involved?

Did you had full snapshot of the system at any time and investigated all of them?

If some "antivirus"/"antimalware" didn't found anything that don't tell us anything at all. Most of them can't find even fresh versions of existing "malware". Not talking about something completely new or something targeted to attack specific class of users (in our case EU players).

Not talking about old rootkits, which was undetected for many years since developed.

Also when attack was already finished I don't see any point fro cracker to keep any traces on machine and not clear all of them. In other words - what reason to keep keylogger after they already stole all they need?

So, before we will get any additional info from MA I don't see any proof it was their fault and not users. Especially since only few was attacked (if that was data leak from MA I will expect much more affected).

Just my 2pec.

P.S. I'm not trying to protect MA, they don't need that, just don't like unfounded rumors.

Maybe i'm no computer expert, was just listing possibilities , simple way to protect players who maybe worried is to change passwords and ofc get a gold card.

Last edited:
... Guess could be @ EU main website but more knowledgable people would be able to say about website hack possibilities.

As it was already saids before it is for one reason unlikely: If the EU userdatabase would have leaked we would have seen many more cases. So far 2 we really know of. A couple more probably of non forum users. If the database leaked, i guess we would have seen attacks on a large scale by now.

But as the attack vector is unknown so far:

Changing passwords would be good way just in case tho, and quick to do.

This for sure for the ones without gc. Can't hurt.

As it was already saids before it is for one reason unlikely: If the EU userdatabase would have leaked we would have seen many more cases. So far 2 we really know of. A couple more probably of non forum users. If the database leaked, i guess we would have seen attacks on a large scale by now.

But as the attack vector is unknown so far:

This for sure for the ones without gc. Can't hurt.

Aye would be a cascade of people by now if was hack.

Yep, exactly.

And I would expect attack on rich "inactive" accounts first in that case. If they have full DB dump, they could easy check last login date and also they could choose only most valuable ones. In that case they could "quietly" steal most valuable items to trade them (and I didn't notice any "selling wave" of uber items). But instead they attacked peoples who online on daily basis.

Back