Doesn't ANYONE play for FUN?!?

I *try* to play for fun (or entertainment) but my PEDs seem to run out
way too fast way too often, for that. :D ;)
I'm not out for profit (I don't say no to that if it happened thou' ;)), I try
to lose less. Funny thing is that those that do play like this seem to have
zero advantages, even thou' they probably create a way higher revenue
stream, in a per cent p.o.v. :scratch2: Or maybe we do...:cool:

I do a HUGE mistake all the time, I get annoyed that MA don't do "this" or
"that" to increase the "fun-factor. They arn't +400 in designteam, I need
to learn to remember this. :D ;)

For fun, sure thing.

Tho recently I realized, that most fun/challenging part for me in this game is to "squeeze" myself through bad times without losing/doing da depo thing.

For someone "being economical" is fun, dunno... :D

As weird as it might sound, some people actually think it IS fun to analyze and pick stuff apart and try to understand it :)

I have no illusions of "getting rich" in here, but a big part of my fun here is trying to figure stuff out. (Its a big part of my fun in RL too ;) )

Reactions: Fin
Depends on what you consider fun.

For me the fun has been hiking in out in the back country discovering something new and rediscovering old things. Hunting and crafting lost its fun appeal a while ago when decay and looting dropped below the break even mark. Chatting with people is a 50/50 deal, the majour cities are always full of people hocking stuff and buying stuff so it gets hard to follow anything being said.

I play purely for fun and to try and bring a little fun to others too! :)

Jamhot

I participate in PE/EU. Sometimes I wear out EnKnuckles by smacking merps around. Sometimes, I try to skill up Evader by gathering a huge train to a revive then sweat until I'm bored. Sometimes, I try to skill up Dodger by sweating small bristlehogs. Sometimes, I just sweat. Sometimes I stand for a few hours in New Arrivals waiting for a new player who will ask many questions, yet not beg. Sometimes, all I want to do is stand around chatting in the ring at Twin Peaks. Sometimes, I feel like crafting for a few days. The past two days, I've hunted umbranoids armor free. This morning, tho, I put on armor and looted the whole umbranoid herd.

BTW, Yo, Jam! Nice Web site :)

... I used to go to the bar and drink and dance and play pool. All of that cost me between $40- $100 a party night. Did I make money on that?? no...usually a headache and sore feet.

Or i'd go bowling...I'd pay for my lanes, my shoes, my dinner, my drinks...easy $50-$60 dollars.

Or the movies...$10 for a ticket, $10 for coke and popcorn, $10 for dinner before...and if i took the kids...hell multiply that by 4....

Now...i let the kids go to the movies...i never wanted to see the scary moves they saw anyways.

Now i get to play a really cool game...

I agree. This is how I feel as well. I no longer go out every weekend, or even on week days nearly as much. I rather stay at home, in my pajamas, and do some hunting or whatever in EU. I'll send 80 bucks here, 100 bucks there, and just enjoy it. Yeah, sometimes, I might get pissed off that I don't get anything (loot), but other times, I'm just relaxed doing whatever I'm doing.

... crunching numbers can be fun, a puzzle of sorts, or a challenge. But at what point does that number crunching become too much like a job was my question. If the money aspect of the game is ALL you think about when playing, well... maybe that is fun for some, I don't know.

Forget about it.... I'm a numbers-cruncher guy! I have recorded everything of my last 167 hunting Runs, and have a feeling I might continue it for a VERY LONG time. I don't feel right doing a 1000-shot Run without keeping track of my expenses/income for that Run. This is Fun for me.. this is part of playing the game.

We can have fun in many different areas as well. I have fun working with Bambuco on our InGame-Productions projects for example! So, things don't only have to be EU related, it can be hanging out with people, or just walking around checking things out... ;)

I play purely for fun and to try and bring a little fun to others too! :)

Jamhot

Damn, that's you 100%. Although the fun you bring others is more like 103%
3G was shut when I went there today, so I'm worrying something's up.

To OP :
"fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun"
and
"hof hof hof hof hof hof hof hof hof hof hof hof hof"
are both incredibly easy to type ridiculously fast between two shots at a hogglo. It is true I am a self confessed suicidal typer, but still ....

I play for fun, have no expectations anymore, they only made ma sad when I had them.

I p(l)ay for fun.

OC, if I could turn a profit and still have it fun, that would be nice.......

I play for fun...it's just very expensive!;)

yes fun is every thing!!!

i love the ring at twins, iam a social kind D'a guy...:D

Apprentice Jedi,
Force Majeure

Damn, that's you 100%. Although the fun you bring others is more like 103%
3G was shut when I went there today, so I'm worrying something's up.

3G is shut for a few weeks .......3H the ONLY INGAME CINEMA is open 24/7 though , so for all those bored with whatever can take a friend a go and watch a few entropia related films INGAME @ BilltonTowers1 '3H' NewOxford.

Have to take your own beverages though! :D

3G will be open again soon i promise!

All the best.

Jamhot

PS Thanks for the compliment Endi! ;)

Contrary to all the marketing hype, and even the EULA...

This is a freakin' game!

One that I actually feel is worth paying for, so I do.

Oh, I did recall something from the last autumn!

I walked around PA, looking for a disciple, when met this guy. He asked me if that's true that one could get a 100k hof in this game and withdraw the money into RL. I answered that such things don't happen every day but yes, there is a chance.

He said that he is from some asian country, don't remember for sure the name but not China, and when he'll get his 100-200k ped hofs he won't have to work again ever because his salary is around 50-70$/month :eek:.

Before I tried to cool him down a bit, he asked how long do I play and how much money I earned. I said that I play for a year and spent more than 1k$ by now. He was like OMGWTFLOL and immediately logged out. :rolleyes:

Absolutely I play for fun. The challenge of trying to survive financially though hunting, mining, and crafting is a big part of that fun for me and I would get bored pretty quickly if I treated EU as no more than a game.

Different people have different ideas about what is fun, and this is true regarding activities and styles of play within EU. Just be sure you're having fun.

:beerchug:

Miles

I play for fun but am a number cruncher by profession and in fact enjoy it :eek: so for me some of the fun is calculating statistics related to EU and maximising weapon efficiencies/collecting loot data.

not gonna read all this nonsense, just got one question for all these "i play for fun" types here:

Do you really think you would play EU if it didnt have an RCE?

cause i know i wouldnt, i love EU but playing for real money is what makes it interesting as a mmorpg it is nothing special or new at all, there are plenty of free mmorpgs that are much more apealing for gameplay let alone the subs ones.

saint

I have in the past and do now play many other games of varying types. The thing that initially drew me to EU was the RCE aspect and the intrigue of why anyone would be mad enough to pay real cash for virtual items. However, once I got into it, it was the people and other aspects that kept me here :)

I absolutely play for FUN!! I love the complexity of the game. I am not really interesting in making it my living, but I can see a year from now withdrawing some $ for a vacation, but I am not counting on it. Every day I play I find something new and exciting and that is just pure fun to me. And with the Crysis 2 engine coming....ahhh whole new world and space to explore. To me, for my type of personality (I like doing things that are difficult) this game is the best!

for me...after 5 years...EU is no more fun now :(
I mean it would be fun but only with uber skills/gear so nasty pk+nasty hunting.

Make-up (make-shit) system only makes it worse...I would rather see some pvp league/arena ect

Oh, I did recall something from the last autumn!

I walked around PA, looking for a disciple, when met this guy. He asked me if that's true that one could get a 100k hof in this game and withdraw the money into RL. I answered that such things don't happen every day but yes, there is a chance.

He said that he is from some asian country, don't remember for sure the name but not China, and when he'll get his 100-200k ped hofs he won't have to work again ever because his salary is around 50-70$/month :eek:.

Before I tried to cool him down a bit, he asked how long do I play and how much money I earned. I said that I play for a year and spent more than 1k$ by now. He was like OMGWTFLOL and immediately logged out. :rolleyes:

That's pretty funny right there... :laugh:

I'ts all about the fun for me, that's why I hunt ALOT, and only craft a little... That's what I find to be the most Fun.

I am vaguely aware that my avatar, his kit and his skills are building up a cash value which, one day many many years from now, I may cash out to form part of my pension in my old age, or possibly pass on to my GrandChildren. or the gran children of my friends, since I have no plans to reproduce anytime soon... But for now I'm happy to Pay to Play...

After all, this amazing place comes with soo much more than just "a game". I have met soo many awesome people who I am now lucky enough to be able to call friends... and I can go hunting with these people, meet and chat, go on beacons, trade tips and advice, share experiences...

Sure, every now and then I am very happy to hit a good loot, and maybe make it onto the HoF list, but it's sooo not about the money...

I think the proof of this, for me, is that should I hit a Really Big ATH sized loot, I will be spending it on EU toys rather than withdrawing it...

Incidentally, I would like to repeat that last point for any MA official reading this thread. What I said was "should I hit a Really Big ATH sized loot, I will be spending it on EU toys rather than withdrawing it...". And I would be happy to sign something to this effect if required. With that in mind, a middling to Huge ATH would be lovely thank you, and Will stay In-Game.

I try to play for fun..

I've started to notice its more of a frustration than actual fun though.

I want to play for fun, but some times i noticed im getting to deep in, want that next global, that next hof, that next skill level and the deposits run away. Then im slowing down, dont deposit, logg out faster, makes small
runs, talk to ppl and read in the forums. Im prob addictive....

Having fun with other people is cheaper and better.
Ofcourse a global or two extra always helps.

I play for fun, certainly not to profit because a long time ago I realised that I was nevering going to profit from EU.

The rce was never the draw to me, in fact I consider it the biggest problem that is holding EU back.

cause i know i wouldnt, i love EU but playing for real money is what makes it interesting as a mmorpg it is nothing special or new at all, there are plenty of free mmorpgs that are much more apealing for gameplay let alone the subs ones.

I agree with you 100%. Judging from a lot of the posts in here, we're far from the only people who think EU is spensive.

And yet, MindArk is making millions. Imagine what they could make if they'd tweak the slide a little towards the gamer side.

FUN!? FUN!?!?!

PE isn't about fun, it's about figures, statistics, grinding and complaining like an old man :D

Okay, so it's about having fun :silly2: I play for fun, sure. I try and go for the "don't haemorrhage PEDs, try and conserve them (while having fun)" direction but I don't shy away from the throwing caution to the wind and having a laugh - even if that means filling the loot-pool by hunting Hogglo on my own with a fapper for half an hour :D

I'm fortunate in that over the course of playing I'm in the black which is a nice feeling; it'd be nice to keep it this way but if not then - oh well... I'll just scam everything I can from Red and sell it on ebay.

Erk, typing my fiendish plans out loud again ;)

Well even though people grind stats and some complain like a chittering Mongoose trying to kill a Cobra I think everyone has some fun on some level. That is unless you are masochistic.

I even think a great deal many people don't mind paying a lot for entertainment so long as it remains entertaining.

I remember when I was little and I used to run my cat around with a toy all the time and my Mom told me to let the cat win every once in a while or it would become bored and leave. I think EU is like an owner with a cat toy and we are the cats if people can't feel like they have won at least a few times in their EU experience they will soon get bored and leave just like the cat. I think a lot of complaints center around people not feeling like they are winning or at least getting their money's worth.

EU revolves around loot so I think most people gear their fun around acquiring it in one form or another. Screw to much with the loot and we all turn into chittering Mongooses.

Aside from that I think most people are having fun. That fun can be making ped via trading or sweating or blowing it on bigs mobs trying to loot great items or trying to stretch every ped as far as you can. Fun can mean many different things to many different people its as dynamic as "dynamic" is in EU.

Back