EntropiaForum Upgrade

Status
Good to see a VU without to many bugs for a change ;)

Actually, there are alot of "bugs" on the forum right now, unfortunately. Since the forum upgrade required more time than expected, I had to decide whether to reopen the forum temporarily with many features unavailable, or keep the forum down while the technican assisting me with the upgrade got some sleep after 12 straight hours of work. I decided that it was best to get a temporary forum shell up and running for a few hours to allow members to check PMs, update sales threads and discuss the latest VU.

The forum will be closed once again later today so that we can complete the final stages of upgrading and then move the forum to its new (and more robust) server.

Last edited:
The forum will be closed once again later today so that we can complete the final stages of upgrading and then move the forum to its new (and more robust) server.

Nice :)

Got an ETA on the next shut down so I can co-ordinate work and forum browsing? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
my rep is being displayed as much less than before (im missing 3 orange thingys)

overall things are quick and looking like a good upgrade ty 711

Bump, had to search this.

So, what's this about stealing reputation points - care to explain it? :dunno:

Edit: I can see my avatar here, but not on the frontpage.

Hello,

711 - thank you for keeping us updated and explaining the outages. It makes it alot easier to handle when we know what is happening and the difficulties encountered.

Now if only MA could learn from your good example. :)

Grounder

I cant neg rep spammers aanymore. :(

Edit: I can see my avatar here, but not on the frontpage.

These things, along with many of the other parts of EF that are not functioning properly right now, are temporary. All of the features of EF that you have grown accustomed to will be restored very soon.

great work 711!!! :cheer: love it

Just a notice that the gallery popup in the message composition page is missing. I assume that was included in the "java buttons" described as a work in progress, but i do miss it. :)

Actually, there are alot of "bugs" on the forum right now, unfortunately. Since the forum upgrade required more time than expected, I had to decide whether to reopen the forum temporarily with many features unavailable, or keep the forum down while the technican assisting me with the upgrade got some sleep after 12 straight hours of work. I decided that it was best to get a temporary forum shell up and running for a few hours to allow members to check PMs, update sales threads and discuss the latest VU.

Thats as maybe but you are keeping us informed and positively responding to questions asked. All good work in my book. Keep up the good work. :girl:

Thats as maybe but you are keeping us informed and positively responding to questions asked. All good work in my book. Keep up the good work. :girl:

Indeed. The whole manner in which the upgrade has/is being done is exemplary. I know that these things can be an absolute nightmare to get sorted.

One question. 711, how much coffee have you had. You sent the techy chap to get some sleep before continuing, yet you are still here and keeping us updated!!!

Get some sleep as well. You will get cranky :wise: Dont worry, we will look after EF for you while you get some zzzzzzz's.........

Indeed. The whole manner in which the upgrade has/is being done is exemplary. I know that these things can be an absolute nightmare to get sorted.

One question. 711, how much coffee have you had. You sent the techy chap to get some sleep before continuing, yet you are still here and keeping us updated!!!

Get some sleep as well. You will get cranky :wise: Dont worry, we will look after EF for you while you get some zzzzzzz's.........

I am used to very long sessions :) I have been awake for about 19 hours now, and expect to have quite a while to go. We still have a lot of work ahead to repair the forum templates, updating permissions and options, not to mention moving the forum over to the new server.

My goal is get all of this done with as little forum downtime as possible. EU is a 24/7 dynamic universe, so I realize how critical EF is to many members who rely on this forum to conduct much of their in-game business.

And to answer your question, I don't drink coffee, but maybe I should buy some stock in coca-cola and phillip morris ;)

I am used to very long sessions :) I have been awake for about 19 hours now, and expect to have quite a while to go. We still have a lot of work ahead to repair the forum templates, updating permissions and options, not to mention moving the forum over to the new server.

My goal is get all of this done with as little forum downtime as possible. EU is a 24/7 dynamic universe, so I realize how critical EF is to many members who rely on this forum to conduct much of their in-game business.

And to answer your question, I don't drink coffee, but mayeb I should buy some stock in coca-cola and phillip morris ;)

So the forum still isn't on the new server? Thought that was the point of the downtime yesterday the upgrade & the move. Yesterday was just the upgrade of vBulletin???

I can only echo this - Communitcation has been superb, you were even online this morning in the chat room to answer my questions. I think generally we, the EF community, can seem quite a critical bunch, but I also like to think we do acknowledge when things are done well.

So thanks very much to all involved on a great effort, and here's looking forward to the new and impoved EF.

Thank you!

To 711:

I just wanted to add my voice to those thanking you for the hard work you have put in on this project. Understand that, yes, some of us do go slightly nuts when the forum is down. I am referring to myself there. But we also do not want you to work yourself to death over it. We will survive the downtime(s), and appreciate the forum so much the more when it is all done.

Just my two pecs.

Donald

So someone can steal my rep? :eek:

Well at least with the way I post, I earn enough EFD to steal it back... :silly2:

Omg all my yellow spots in repfield is gone!
/me cries more

Last edited:
So someone can steal my rep? :eek:

Your 'rep' is something no one can ever take away...

Sincerely,
Donald

P.S. Right! Except maybe a forum mod or owner... ;)

P.S.S. Why can't I do smileys? (...nevermind, I can now. Thanks everyone!)

Last edited:
If I may please step in here and make a comment about the "Boss" ... I have to say that yes, he is driven, but his motivation is well focused.

Ever since he came on the scene and encountered my acquaintance from a very tenacious perspective because I wanted to know who he was after discovering his modded thread (and being relentless in my third degree), the respect level has increased tremendously.

After working with 711 several months, I can assure you that his intentions are honorable, and he truly wants to present to the community the best forum possible. We've had voice chats about his vision for this forum, and I can only say that I'm very impressed with the level of care and attention being given to making the experience at this forum more exciting and enjoyable.

Personally, I can't wait for this process to be complete, and I too am very grateful that 711 is keeping us updated. It makes waiting a little easier ... not to mention how cool it was to have the temporary chat room to connect with members for a while.

Thank you 711 for your dedication and perseverence in making our experience at this forum the best it can be, AND ...

In the words you are always uttering to me ... GET SOME SLEEP! ;)

Sincerely,
Donald

P.S. Right! Except maybe a forum mod or owner...

P.S.S. Why can't I do smileys?

I cant click the smileys either. :wise: "Luckily" I remember alot of the smiley "names" :laugh: :dunce:

Hi Donald,

The link from the page doesn't work as mentioned in 711's list of "bugs" BUT some do work if you know the text shortcut e.g. : girl : (but without the spaces). :girl: I know laugh, rofl both work and obviously some of the others as I've seen them used. Just experiment and good luck.

Xany

I would like to thank 711 for putting up with my obnoxiousness last night. I was in the chat room he created for many hours and bugged him endlessly while he was working with my nonstop chatter.

I <3 711

Sincerely,
Donald

P.S. Right! Except maybe a forum mod or owner...

The smilies still work, it is only the Javascript menu that is malfunctioning.

See? :wise: :laugh: :king: :beerchug:

Here are the text shortcuts for some of the more popular smilies:

Code:
:rolleyes:
:confused:
:eek:
:laugh:
:silly2:
:wise:
:girl:
:dunce:
:beerchug:
:birthday:
:cheer:
:clap:
:dance:
:duh:
:spam:
:eureka:
:grouphug:
:love:
:naughty:
:newbie:
:o:
:rofl:
:argue:
:silly:
:twocents:
:wave:
:whistle:
:drool:
:locked:

711 said:
Here are the text shortcuts for some of the more popular smilies:

Code:
:rolleyes:
:confused:
:eek:
:laugh:
:silly2:
:wise:
:girl:
:dunce:
:beerchugaglug:
:birthday:
:cheer:
:clap:
:dance:
:duh:
:spam:
:eureka:
:grouphug:
:love:
:naughty:
:newbie:
:o:
:rofl:
:argue:
:silly:
:twocents:
:wave:
:whistle:
:drool:
:locked:

Nah, the :beerchugaglug: one still does not work, no matter how many different variations I try :dunno:

I would like to thank 711 for putting up with my obnoxiousness last night. I was in the chat room he created for many hours and bugged him endlessly while he was working with my nonstop chatter.

I <3 711

Yes, you were the "Chat Room Queen" for sure my dear, and you did an awesome job.

Doh I just started a new post to collect all those - guess one of you moderators can close it then :laugh:

Yes, you were the "Chat Room Queen" for sure my dear, and you did an awesome job.

I tried to give you +rep..but couldn't. So let me just say....thanks babe! =)

Nah, the :beerchugaglug: one still does not work, no matter how many different variations I try :dunno:

You misquoted me, its
Code:
:beerchug:
not
Code:
:beerchugalug:

Nice try! :laugh:

Where's the icon that shows the little guy drinking a pint of guiness? You know the one ...

Status
Back