EU has lost its magic for me

If i could chose id go back to Pre VU 10 in a heart beat. Im even willing to give up all my vehicle and mission. I agree it lost its magic. But still, I like the game and I wont stop playing or paying for it.

But like you said, its much more thanks to my friends and the community I play. I still see alot of potential here thou, once all the buggs are gone and all features are back, once every area have been redone like PA are now and the vulcano area, i think it can be a magic and fantastic game once more.

But oh, how I miss old Swamp Camp. There is nothing like it! :(

And dont forget Twin it sure is not the same anymore actually quite boring compared to the previous vu

Yep, one thing about EU that cannot be beaten by any other is the community. I dont know why, but EU has and always has had awesome people in it, and I have made countless friends.

keeps me there :)

There is new magic now.. (True)

but I do agree .. I miss the old world too....

For new players this is their new world, they do not know the old port atlantis with its yellow walls or the old camp phoenix where the remains of the spaceship used to be, or the old desert with that enormous building that looked like aliens built it, or the old rig, minopolis with it;s nice houses, zeus with its nice berycled spawn, camp medusa where a molisk would always pay out, or spiral mountains where a spider could be around every corner.

and

TP runs (thing of the past with vehicles)

I love them and use them for hunting and finding scattered mobs ( the VTO's make mob location etc a breeze and mobs do not hurt or see you so you can easily recon and pick your area)

However vehicles have changed the whole game play of the game. It is just too easy now, the challenge has definetly been reduced :)

I miss the old eu having been here for nigh on 3.5 years however it is never going back

so if I am going to keep on playing and enjoying my experience here I have no choice but to adapt to the changes sad as some of them may be.

While a lot of us who have been in the game for some time do complain and dislike many of the changes there are many more that stay than those that leave.

As spawn said (underlined above) the new players are the target for the game makers. They are the ones that are the bread and butter. A few ubers or high end players leaving the game is not going to effect the financials one little bit. probably the opposite.

Keeping on

Jung

I personally think that the missions and lack of Mentoring are very big causes of many people losing the strong feelings of enjoyment most had with Entropia.

Missions turned it into a solo grind game. Many people don't do teams because they may not get the kill shots.

Mentoring helped bring people of high and low skills together and make the game more fun and interesting for new players and old.

Lately I have started to feel that Calypso is now just a testing ground for all the features other planets may want. :(

Think about how PE may have been before you arrived in 2007 and before I arrived in 2004. Think of how players before us must have thought, "this place really needs some work!". Think about the changes that occurred from 2003-2009...

I am in PE since March 2003 and allthough I completely agree with the OP, this is what keeps me inside. Even though I think it took MA way to much time and participants money to get to the point were they are now, it still is a big achievement for a small company.
I am still in there to see the developments, enjoy myself with some hunting or just a bit of chatting and getting my skills/attributes up. But PE definitely has lost a large portion of its magic that made you just want to play and play and play again.

The magic that justified paying a ridiculous amount of money for an Adj-Fap or a piece of Shadow armor...

That magic is gone... :(

Magic is something that comes from unknown issues. It will vanish over the years. I miss it too. I remember well the time five years ago when I was new at Calypso and almost everything was magic ;)

There is new magic now..

but I do agree .. I miss the old world too... It's like going on holidays to Italy every year, and then the next year, Italy is gone and has been replaced with something entirely different.

... for instance replaced by New Switzerland.
At the weekend my sister invited me to her boat. That was magic too. We both, blue sky, sunshine, beautiful landscape, music by Crosby,Stills & Nash ... Jack Daniels was missed though ... [does anyone have him on FL?]

2010.10a_223875.jpg

Last edited:
I am in PE since March 2003 and allthough I completely agree with the OP, this is what keeps me inside. Even though I think it took MA way to much time and participants money to get to the point were they are now, it still is a big achievement for a small company.
I am still in there to see the developments, enjoy myself with some hunting or just a bit of chatting and getting my skills/attributes up. But PE definitely has lost a large portion of its magic that made you just want to play and play and play again.

The magic that justified paying a ridiculous amount of money for an Adj-Fap or a piece of Shadow armor...

That magic is gone... :(

I completely agree with ya here Kemp :(

Agree

I posted a thred last week sort of saying the same thing, but the OP got the point accross much better. Im now just selling my gear in auction and slim lining my avatar, whats next who knows for me. ATM not EU really.

Good post.

And hey! Some of my magic will be back soon: my face tribal!

ulla_face.jpg

Within the end of the year is still the ETA we have, yes. If it changes, we'll make sure to inform you. And I'll make sure to keep on nagging.

I miss it too...

And hey! Some of my magic will be back soon: my face tribal!

ulla_face.jpg

Fingers crossed for that. Soon has a completely different meaning in MAs dictionairy...

Methinks, the magic has just begun...

I do love great graphics and I got it. All the things I do miss, like beacon missions etc,
will be back. I am pretty sure of that. And, IF all those features we longe for so much
will be as great updates to the original as the graphics it is worth waiting for. :)

However, I do understand the frustration. I been there as well, started 2003 and
have seen some VUs. But, when letting the game go and just observe and participate
on the game's (ops, virtual universe) own condition...methinks, the magic has just begun.

:beerchug:

EU has improved a lot over the years since I started (8 years ago)

I have EU seen evolving from beta till now and I really like it.

Sure there are changes I don't like and life became harder to survive.
But I see it as a challenge to adapt in a changing world.

Keeping things the same become boring pretty fast.

So I hope they keep changing.

Regards,
Ion

Uhhh ... magic is in the eye of the beholder. For me, it has been gone for a long time, maybe even prior to vu 10 . What's the catch in going on each hunt knowing the best you can come back with while always preparing for the worst ? It's damaging one's psyche so much that the eyes will start failing when looking for the magic.
Once upon a time we skilled up while aiming at maximum proficiency on the ul weapons and tools. Our aim is to be "better" , MA/partner's aim is to make us increase the turnovers. Till some point that was achievable based upon an increasing player-base. However, a time came when things stood still.
The current trend is to allow us to "tweak" our gear in order to spend more tt per hour, since our online time is greatly lesser than before. It was not our available time that got shorter , but our willing to spend it in order to gain something. That something lost too much value to worth the same effort. The value of all uber items has been always calculated in terms of economy and investment, thus having the magic figures attached. Now, and possibly in the future, due to our expectancy of online time, the basis of calculation will greatly change. With no one gaining much from the MU of the current loot, the loots will soon fall in the flat and predictable tt return pattern. And there is really no magic.
The eco principle has grown so strong that it went from a state of the player's mind to altering the return system. The more eco we get, the more time will be required to recover some of our expenses.
Besides the above mentioned magic for the human greed we're all well aware of, there was the magic of the human relations, the magic of acquiring knowledge and knowing who to trust, the magic of working together and chatting, the relaxation that came with sweating/tp running, the lack of stress from being pushed to spend more and more hours online while trying to recover losses and other small things that made sun shine a lot brighter.

PS: There are several new features that might really worth implementing as a need for "a rebirth" is obvious. It's not hopeless but damn, this is tiresome.

Uhhh ... magic is in the eye of the beholder. For me, it has been gone for a long time, maybe even prior to vu 10 . What's the catch in going on each hunt knowing the best you can come back with while always preparing for the worst ? It's damaging one's psyche so much that the eyes will start failing when looking for the magic.
Once upon a time we skilled up while aiming at maximum proficiency on the ul weapons and tools. Our aim is to be "better" , MA/partner's aim is to make us increase the turnovers. Till some point that was achievable based upon an increasing player-base. However, a time came when things stood still.
The current trend is to allow us to "tweak" our gear in order to spend more tt per hour, since our online time is greatly lesser than before. It was not our available time that got shorter , but our willing to spend it in order to gain something. That something lost too much value to worth the same effort. The value of all uber items has been always calculated in terms of economy and investment, thus having the magic figures attached. Now, and possibly in the future, due to our expectancy of online time, the basis of calculation will greatly change. With no one gaining much from the MU of the current loot, the loots will soon fall in the flat and predictable tt return pattern. And there is really no magic.
The eco principle has grown so strong that it went from a state of the player's mind to altering the return system. The more eco we get, the more time will be required to recover some of our expenses.
Besides the above mentioned magic for the human greed we're all well aware of, there was the magic of the human relations, the magic of acquiring knowledge and knowing who to trust, the magic of working together and chatting, the relaxation that came with sweating/tp running, the lack of stress from being pushed to spend more and more hours online while trying to recover losses and other small things that made sun shine a lot brighter.

PS: There are several new features that might really worth implementing as a need for "a rebirth" is obvious. It's not hopeless but damn, this is tiresome.

In one sentence:

The magic faded when the number crunching started!

In one sentence:

The magic faded when the number crunching started!

Yep.

As sad as it is, in order to success in EU financially, having fun while doing it is hard.

I started 5 years ago, and although PE was then evolved far from beta, I could very clearly sense the certain atmosphere surrounding advanced players. There was the magic, although it consisted mostly in me being a nab and wondering the vast distances both geographically and then, more importantly, measured in skills to the uber players.

This is like different game now. But all things must evolve, or they die. Graphics update was absolutely necessary in todays gameworld. Now I can be proud again, when someone not knowing of EU comes to peek behind my shoulder. Missions, starting area, vehicles, new mindforce all add to the interest and ease the path for the newcomers, even though that seemed to be exactly what some old school players did NOT want to happen, back in the years. I can understand them quite well.

Fortunately MA still has the magical ability to create random bugs every VU, and even the good old new bugfixpatch bring some old bugs back again! It must require considerable programming skill to manage to transfer similar blunders to completely new engine :D I kinda like this work-in-progress -feeling, even though most certainly hate it, its what makes MA what it is lol.

The skills and skill progress (or lack of :silly2:) are still roughly the same. Me too, naturally in the beginning was thinking making maybe few peds, from which I have been gradually evolved (well at least a bit) over years. Still the main thing for me has propably always been the challenge, ability to survive harder encounters, multiple ones, get better equipment and learn to use it all well enough to be able to continue my journey. As skill system stays, I still feel I am on the same path, and I feel I am making progress. That is what matters.

I may or may not visit the new planets, but the path I am following is on Calypso. It is still there. I am sorry that the mystery surroundinding the world is slowly dissolving, but I gues that cannot be helped, if progress one must.

I agree with most of the OP. But i still login everyday and skill for 10 hours, as we all do.

The sad part for me is that I really dont know why I lost the magic.

Technically the game is better, better graphics, I like the missions and vehicles. MA has done nothing wrong, the opposite, they have done a lot to make the game better, but as a side-effect, EU isnt the same game I fell in love with.

Im hopeful that one day I can find the magic again. Perhaps with mentoring it will come as I can start helping newcomers more again.

EU isnt the same game I fell in love with.

For me, i really miss going on friend/soc beacons. This added to a wonderful weekend. They were lots of fun, required a team effort, and i suppose was a "mission" alike feeling.

I also miss the pets that were used and parked for advertising!

This is not a whining post, or demand for MA to do something. This is just a fact from relatively old player, and I'm very sad to make this thread.

I first heard of PE/EU around 4 years ago, when there was article about it somewhere, and it seemed interesting. A game where you could make money? Now thats something! Bit later my friend desided to give it a try, and he like it. May '07 I made my avatar and started my adventure in the huge world of Project Entropia. The first few months of my EU life were spent around Port Atlantis, sweating, killing few scary monsters here and there with my shiny opalo, or exploring (Which meant running 5 minutes to some direction, and coming back to tell everyone about my trip).

Those were propably the best days of my EU existance. I didnt care about losses as I hadnt deposided (yet), I was having fun and running around in wonder of all the places. Slowly I started to go further, until I had all the TP's and points of interests, and I could have ran from PA to Fort Zeus without looking at my map once. And yet everytime I would head to wilderness, mining or hunting, I would find new things and have fun.

I liked the story behind EU, I liked pretty much everything in it. Then VU10 came.

When MA originally announced that they would use CE2 to recreate EU, I was exited as anyone else. I had the impression that CE2 was graphic engine, and we would get new better graphics on the same world we loved so.

Before the VU10 came out, some maps were released and the reality of the hugeness of the changes they would do started to reveal itself. And still I liked it. Good, more exploring to do!, I thought.

Well, VU10 came. First time I logged in, I was almost literally hanging my jaw on the ground. New Switcherland and its snowing! It was very beautiful, as good as I had hoped.

But after the first few moments the reality started hitting, and it hit hard. All the bugs that made even logging in a major operation, the unclimbable mountains that made the exploring I had waited impossible. The missing features. No teaming, no mentoring, no pets (I dont even remember what all was missing). It did not take me many days to miss the EU before VU10.

Also, the exploring started to seem useless. I havent done the exact math, but for example the new Eudoria is several times larger than the old Eudoria, and after hours and hours of running around mountains I cant climb and mobs I cant see, I started to get really frustrated.

I wont even get into SGA, thats a whole new thread.

Now, it has been 1½ (or more?) years since VU10, and in my opinion EU is not much better then it was the day it was released. Constant bugs, and new useless features pouring in while the old ones havent even been re-implemented.

I was still hopeful about EU, until the one man who I always had liked shattered the magic of EU. Neverdie. Rocktropia.

I believe most of you know what I mean by this. One of the main reasons I loved EU was its unique story, and the exitement I had everytime I logged in. Rocktropia was the last nail to the coffin for the spirit of Project Entropia. Money took over beauty. This is another subject I could go on and on about, but its useless, why would MA care what their paying customers think?

Planet Michael. Fuck yeah, thats the spirit!

Wolverine Queen

so basicly you dont like it becausse its more like a game and they expending ( like the community wished for).

rocktropia planet micheal ..any other coming new planet issent planet calypso. you DO NOT have to go there.

even tough you DO NOT have to go there, it does help the overal UNIVERS health seeing its now attractive to other groups of gamers investers etc wil come also (again you dont have to go there, you dont have to interact)

MA/FPC havent taken anything away in gameplay they only added.

they indeed not trowing money back to the community like in old PE.
and seeing old PE went bankrupt becausse they had a very unbalenced game in witch it was way to easy to gain way to much in way to short time, if it had continued like your OLD PE the game would be non-excisting for some time now.

They dident ruin it they made it more balanced and desent play (using your brain and play on your budget) wil stil give a profit. (to anser the coming remark someone wil trow at this for sure)

the expected question: not everyone can profit becausse MA would loosse cash that way, who would pay that profit.

anser: the pk-ers,the skillers, the weekend warriors, the gamers who only play for fun (i think this is the biggest group for sure, going on the fact that none in my FL expect to profit , they depo they have fun dont care about a little loss
and they pay the profit of the die hard eco player that play's with a plan and take every MU they can get) and off course the gamblers (some are totally aware of it some just compulsive gamblers in deniel) .

NOTE: atm loot is so good on low lvl i break even on TT alone.

To be honest, since we are changing this topic to loot, my loot average/return has been the same every month give or take 5% for the past three years. I don't know what people are on about when they are saying "loot blows".

My spreadsheets show otherwise. You wont see profit from one day of hunting, calculate your return over a month period and try cycling 50-100k (yeah not too much when you think about what the top hunters cycle a month).

I just hate people who whine on about loot sucks, loot this, loot that, it hasn't changed in 3 years. Many can back that up im sure.

To be honest, since we are changing this topic to loot, my loot average/return has been the same every month give or take 5% for the past three years. I don't know what people are on about when they are saying "loot blows".

My spreadsheets show otherwise. You wont see profit from one day of hunting, calculate your return over a month period and try cycling 50-100k (yeah not too much when you think about what the top hunters cycle a month).

I just hate people who whine on about loot sucks, loot this, loot that, it hasn't changed in 3 years. Many can back that up im sure.

totally agree.

my guess is a lot just dont look into stats enouf , play above their lvl, use wrong gear, dont know when to change or just get pissed by a bad run and go gamble mode

... or just don't go pew-pew 10 hours daily ...

... or just don't go pew-pew 10 hours daily ...

Indeed on a bad day with a to big gun that hurts the pedcart a lot.
But if you step down a notch on a bad day do some noob mobs that day you can go for the 10 hours easily.

(got my masher 1 UNL for those down day's)

I can confirm this. Loot and return hasn't changed the last 2-3 years. Unfortunately I don't have sufficient data from when I've started but guess it should be more or less the same for the last 6 years. Only MU went up.

I guess this is a natural process. I'm rarely active atm because the tasks to perform didn't evolve. Sure, we do have new eye-candy, but game-play is still the same.

Nah ... the point was another one . For some campers and high-rollers, the things look generally the same. Thing is that the average roller ( the 500-1k ped daily ) might have sensed that the break-even cycle is taking somewhat longer. It's not actually an ammo burn cycle but more like a time-based one. I'm not sure if this is also happening when you go in with higher dps over the same total ammo cost. But everytime I increased the dps, I observed the loot routine settling in after a while, so I stopped increasing the dps unless I could have sustained it for longer than 1 month. However, in my case, after using roughly the same dps during various times, I may say that it takes longer to get a break-even now. You can go higher dps , but the costs go higher as well.

Loot has nothing to do with this. It has been the same for me all the time, some nice loots and mostly some bad loots, but thats not what I meant.

And Mary Jane, "so basicly you dont like it becausse its more like a game and they expending ".

When MA advertised EU, they said it was not a game ;)

And please MJ, can you try to write clearly, Im having hard time reading it :(

Loot has nothing to do with this. It has been the same for me all the time, some nice loots and mostly some bad loots, but thats not what I meant.

Maybe the constitution of an EU depression club might help ;). I would join it.

my loot average/return has been the same every month give or take 5% for the past three years. I don't know what people are on about when they are saying "loot blows".

Strange, my spreadsheet shows much bigger losses over the last 12+ months :(
If it's avatar-based it could easily be that your return doesn't equal my return, you might be a more 'lucky' avatar? :?
Then again, before i could break even with mu over longer periods of time which given my eco mindset made sense (altho that included 2 hofs so maybe i just got lucky assuming those are luck? :? since i haven't hof'd or looted anything to make up for over 10k ped loss in the last 12+ months, is it safe to say losses don't trigger loot/hof? not to mention everything i own has basically no mu left (my bicak kek used to be worth +5k now it's less than +700ped)).

Technically the game is better, better graphics, I like the missions and vehicles. MA has done nothing wrong, the opposite, they have done a lot to make the game better, but as a side-effect, EU isnt the same game I fell in love with.

Im hopeful that one day I can find the magic again. Perhaps with mentoring it will come as I can start helping newcomers more again.

I don't think you miss the "old" EU as much as you think you do, i think you miss the time when much of the game was new and fresh. When you tried new things and explored the world. Now you feel a lack of purpose, a bit bored. I can recognize that feeling myself, it was more fun at the start because everything was new for me. Sadly things can't be new and freash forever.

But i must say the CE update, vehicles....wow. I hope FPC and MA will add more "game like features" and other fun features to the game, because we need it.

Back