EU in Unreal Engine - Will it be a success?

You could attract more of those types of people if there was a bit more "game" to the game. Still wouldn't be for everyone of course.

And if they updated some of the monetization/gamification to reflect modern trends it might help. What if, for instance, part of the TWEN celebration was a game pass or season pass with known rewards for certain achievements?

EU will never attract new players from games like WOW. Reason: there are no "shinies". Gamers like looting the shiny new armour or weapons. Gamers play to get the shinies in loot that the game has to offer. EU has no shinies because they have all been gotten already. If a WOW player came to this game they would deposit their money, kill for a few days and have nothing to show for it. That is why they leave because there is nothing to win or shinies in the loot. Nothing to look forward to but the hopes that you will hit a HOF. It's not enough to keep new players playing,

You could attract more of those types of people if there was a bit more "game" to the game. Still wouldn't be for everyone of course.

And if they updated some of the monetization/gamification to reflect modern trends it might help. What if, for instance, part of the TWEN celebration was a game pass or season pass with known rewards for certain achievements?
Are you suggesting...... a battle pass? XD

It will be a success for MA in the short term if they use the right marketing hype and if UE5 delivers the eye-candy that they claim.
For the long term, interest will dwindle to how it has with CE2 unless the devs acquire more lateral thinking and introduce things like realistic 3D object/item interaction, natural proximity voice chat, and most importantly, additional and more affordable trade/retail, etc, opportunities.

Lmao i think those exist theyre called codex and mayhems
one thing i've learned working with clients over the years is that often times the facts matter less than the way they are presented

humans are more psychological than analytical

you can package the same rewards in a more pleasing way and the result is greater player satisfaction

the cynic might say "no way is that true", but i've seen it too often to discount it. actual progression is less important than the feeling that you are progressing

I just want my Dark Knight thighs, dont care about Unreal engine

Of course it will be a success, how could anyone think otherwise.

May have intial issues like with CE2, but will work out in the end .

Reality-adjusted success list:

- It's not cancelled and they actually manage to bring the servers up with that thing on
- When the dust settles, no more than half of the playerbase is gone
- At least 50% of the existing systems/activities will be restored within 3 years after update
- You won't have to replace your whole PC to achieve same performance. Only GPU.

I give it about 95% success chance (which, as crafters know, is about 40% actual).

Reality-adjusted success list:

- It's not cancelled and they actually manage to bring the servers up with that thing on
- When the dust settles, no more than half of the playerbase is gone
- At least 50% of the existing systems/activities will be restored within 3 years after update
- You won't have to replace your whole PC to achieve same performance. Only GPU.

I give it about 95% success chance (which, as crafters know, is about 40% actual).
It's a mammoth task for sure. I understand the need to migrate to a supported technology. And I agree with it. But I also know it will not be easy.

One thing I have learned about EU in the 2 years I've been playing is that there are so many little things, intricacies, interactions, that it will be really hard to completely reproduce it all.

The other problem is that since MA keeps players at arm's length, there is a solid chance that they overlook something that we would have caught.

I sincerely hope they spin up some kind of beta testing server that is disposable for players to test and give feedback from for a period of time before they go "live-live" and send a pile of game-breaking bugs to live. I wasn't around for the CE upgrade so I don't know if that's a thing they tend to do or not.

Another thing I wonder is whether Planet Partners have some kind of migration they have to do also.

I sincerely hope they spin up some kind of beta testing server that is disposable for players to test and give feedback from for a period of time before they go "live-live" and send a pile of game-breaking bugs to live. I wasn't around for the CE upgrade so I don't know if that's a thing they tend to do or not.

Another thing I wonder is whether Planet Partners have some kind of migration they have to do also.

When we had the CE upgrade I'm not sure if they had a beta testing server for players. However, I think they did because I remember one player in the society I was in at the time talking about his experience on the beta test. This player wasn't very reliable in what he said and many of the things he said were outright lies, hence my uncertainty if he even did a beta test.

MindArk said earlier they would have a beta test for us but not sure if they will stick to that as it may be more work than its worth. They are going to be pressed for time and it's looking increasingly likely the release of it will be later than they had planned for.

With the planet partners yes they will have to also migrate. There is a lot of work they will need to do e.g. moving all assets like gun models, armours, estates, mobs, loot tables and of course our favourite vegetation and depending on what MA provide them with codex, missions etc

EU will never attract new players from games like WOW. Reason: there are no "shinies". Gamers like looting the shiny new armour or weapons. Gamers play to get the shinies in loot that the game has to offer. EU has no shinies because they have all been gotten already. If a WOW player came to this game they would deposit their money, kill for a few days and have nothing to show for it. That is why they leave because there is nothing to win or shinies in the loot. Nothing to look forward to but the hopes that you will hit a HOF. It's not enough to keep new players playing,
You can add shinies to the low end of play. This wouldn't interfere with old school gamers, because we don't use beginners tools.

This game will never attract the typical wow/ff14/lost ark, etc types.
If you ask a random WoW player about Entropia they've either never heard of it or think it's a scam.
It will be the customer service or lack there of that makes them leave.
Definitely doesn't help, but I think it's mainly the scope and complexity of EU that scares them away. Black Desert has the same problem. Way too many features. Overwhelming UI. It scares the vanilla MMO players away. Only hardcore grinders enjoy it.

The design of the core EU professions is also a problem. We can't attract the Black Desert types or FPS enjoyers because the combat is just afk point and shoot. Mining hasn't gotten a real update in 20 years. Crafting is punishing if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

EU's new player experience has improved slightly but they've barely done anything with the mentoring system. Their best resource to retain new players is the current playerbase.

Even if they marketed heavily to these people, they'd be lucky to retain 3-5%... They'll just lose their money and tell their friends the game is a scam.

It "seems" like they are addressing some of these issues with UE5.

It's a big gamble. Evolve or die. I'm excited for it. Assuming it ever happens. Not holding my breath.

Back