EU in Unreal Engine - Will it be a success?

GeorgeSkywalker

Mutated
Society
Freelancer
George Ace Skywalker
For me the following four points are indicators of a successful migration to Unreal Engine:
index.php
  • All functionality of the current radar & hp bar is present in Unreal Engine. This includes:
    • Latency or lag (extremely useful especially if you have a dodgy internet service provider like myself)
    • Tax rates and other info when in a Land Area
    • North, South, East etc indicators on radar
    • Planet or name of area you are on plus Longitude and Latitude values
    • SatNav mode button
    • Zoom in and zoom out buttons
    • Icons for PVP, toxic, can be looted, vehicles and restricted areas
    • What buffs you have active
    • Health Bar
    • Ped card value
    • Number of shots remaining plus type of ammo used
    • Weapon and implant equipped
    • Red, purple, green etc dots on radar
  • Keyboard and on screen customisations i.e. remap keyboard keys from action book and place buttons onscreen from action book.
  • Care taken to show/implement areas of interest e.g. on Calypso we used to have remnants of old wars, circle mountain
  • Chat channels and private messages
I think these are extremely useful in our gameplay. If something from this doesn't exist in Unreal Engine its an indicator of MindArk probably cutting corners or placing other concerns at higher priority over functionality e.g. placing visuals over functionality which is a poor choice imho. Essentially if they are willing to cut corners on these basic essentials then what else have they cut corners on? on things that we cannot see...

Sure there could also be a very good reason to not have these or not have certain elements of these. It better be a very good reason :)

I think it will be the same as all the other engine upgrades.
Some will quit, others will stay.
New and old players alike might be drawn in of witch a small amount will hang around for the longer term.
Same old, same old :)

Keyboard and on screen customisations i.e. remap keyboard keys from action book and place buttons onscreen from action book.
IIRC this was going away in the (now cancelled) UI upgrade so I dont see it making it to UE5.

I hope I'm wrong.

Whats crazy to me there are some individuals around saying there wont be any UE5 =))

We've seen actually zero Entropia in UE5 so far - their UI demo had absolutely nothing to do with EU and looked more like a bought asset from the unreal store. It has no mention of ped, shows ammo clips & energy levels and things like the minimap and icon bars have absolutely no EU influence, again, just template assets.

The model / environment oozes drag and drop of an old entropia FBX and the character we're shown is one of the UE defaults.

If an EU release of UE5 was even 12 months away, we'd have seen more than a screenshot from a UE template.

Who knows, maybe they will surprise us. Personally I feel like aspects of EU are sick from huge pivots in various directions over the years, which has hamstrung them in various ways (planet partners being the obvious example but crafting being another).

EU needs it's economy back. I really miss EU before it offered such high risk clicks and low effort gambles (EP, Large amps, shrapnel crafting, TT crafting recipes). But that's another story.

Last edited:
We wont see much Screenshots or Videos...

Because this is very risky to do , there are other Companys around who allways tryed to copy entropia

Now this is a hard task for every developer, they want to give out Infos to the Player base but the same time they need to hide the critical parts.

I think unreal 5 will go hard.

Cry engine is out of date, we need a Update in order to attrackt New players.
This will hapen every 10 years, in near future even less because gaming does big jumps right now . While there is no competition with entropia, they still need to make shure that they safe that Position for the next 10 years. Thats possible if you take your current Player base and add a New Player base with a seperate Provider who's customers are already "in the system" (epic with unreal engine).

That way we even het regular engine Updates, because its easy to jump from ue 5 to ue 6 to ue 7 to ue 8 and so on .

Basicly ue 5 is a brillant idea for the economy

The new UI they demo'd and asked for feedback on looks like it will really change how we play Entropia. It looks there might not be customization to the UI and action items. Probably to simplify for new players.

I hope they at least allow some changes to the UI in UE5.

p2pvqCp.png

I hope we can get a status update on how the development is going.
They won't comment on something that's not going to happen in their lifetime.

poker is my fallback - hope it works out though :)

i think if marketed right and launched right it could bring in a bunch of new players

hopefully they are building it in a way that will allow a gradual adoption of the new game client, sharing and underlying api. this will allow them to get player feedback and also allow people who aren't ready to migrate to ease into it.

no telling if that's how it's gonna work or not.

Well tell me what it didn't work in 2009- 2011 ?
There is no indication UE5 update will happen in the next 20 years.

Only information I have is that some NI devs are helping out MindArk on this. By what they've shown so far - the project could be cancelled completely, and current employees are just maintenance workers for whatever is currently left.

20 years of wading upstream in a river of doubt still speaks for Mindark's capabilities but the waters have gotten so murky and rough.

I think people who still invest their time and money are gambling on "full condition" this year. They just might inherit the universe when UE5 has hit, and matured, but as for me I'll hold back. I don't see the proof of sustainable concept and it bothers me.

I don't think one can take sollace in comparing the GB to CE transfer to the CE to UE transfer because the world has moved much faster than EU has these last years.

I sincerely hope that Entropia will push through and rise to it's full conceptual glory but hand to heart I wouldn't pull anyone in right now.

Unless they stop being greedy and put better returns to everyone I really don't see this game being successful in a large scale. You really think just because it have pretty graphics that all the Fortnite kids will rush to try Entropia? Haha

Let them play for a few weeks and experience 80/85% TT returns and we will see them vanish with the wind.

When I started to play the graphics were crap yet I did stick with it, not because of the graphics ofc but I was very intrigued with the game, what I could do to upper my odds in profit, the factor of discovery, the team hunts, were to mine, etc.

Entropia is now a different game, made for the masses, huge profits for the real life share owners annually. While Next Island deeds still for sell for like 5 years now? LoL (Calypso dev. team even went to work for NI trying to save the planet but the deeds still not worth buying)

The game was more of game when I started, now is just a boring ped eater no matter what skills you unlock or how much time you play (cycle). People get tired you know, after years and years of constant Mindark feeding and your chances for a nice multi are less that the guy that play once a year in his vacation.

You want to make the new Entropia success just make the game more fair to the players because without them you have nothing.

The new UI they demo'd and asked for feedback on looks like it will really change how we play Entropia. It looks there might not be customization to the UI and action items. Probably to simplify for new players.

They have already confirmed all these assets are templates and bear nothing on any changes coming to the game. see here https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...-unreal-preview-of-hud-ui.288888/post-3832862

It's occam razor, the simple explanation is the most likely. They're not completely redesigning entropias base systems.

As much as I would welcome a complete overhaul (as long as it was towards community & economy instead of easy access to high risk clicks)

They won't comment on something that's not going to happen in their lifetime.
I really do hope you're wrong, however, there's not much else to say here...

If shtf, they could reach out to the community, I know that many people here are able to help, several players did express the will to help out with development on this forum alone. Most players don't even follow PCF afaik. It wouldn't be a bad thig if they asked the community for help.

Unless they stop being greedy and put better returns to everyone I really don't see this game being successful in a large scale. You really think just because it have pretty graphics that all the Fortnite kids will rush to try Entropia? Haha

Let them play for a few weeks and experience 80/85% TT returns and we will see them vanish with the wind.

When I started to play the graphics were crap yet I did stick with it, not because of the graphics ofc but I was very intrigued with the game, what I could do to upper my odds in profit, the factor of discovery, the team hunts, were to mine, etc.

Entropia is now a different game, made for the masses, huge profits for the real life share owners annually. While Next Island deeds still for sell for like 5 years now? LoL (Calypso dev. team even went to work for NI trying to save the planet but the deeds still not worth buying)

The game was more of game when I started, now is just a boring ped eater no matter what skills you unlock or how much time you play (cycle). People get tired you know, after years and years of constant Mindark feeding and your chances for a nice multi are less that the guy that play once a year in his vacation.

You want to make the new Entropia success just make the game more fair to the players because without them you have nothing.

When you started this game were L guns in loots that you were selling from 130 to 200%, some components had nice % and so on. Well i tell you what, even in that period some individuals failed to adapt. Now looking at your past years you were playing with L guns and low-mid looter, what results do you want ?

This game will never attract the typical wow/ff14/lost ark, etc types. It'll attract the gamers who gamble or have gambling OR investing personalities. There will be some cross over, but that's just how it is. Having the game with up to date graphics/mechanics AND transparency along with it being in the Epic store will draw in people who will stay. It will be the customer service or lack there of that makes them leave.

How much of the game economy requires changes to the graphics engine to be better?
Crafting doesn't, mining doesn't, hunting also not as such. Pets don't, harvesting doesn't, trading doesn't.
Beauty professions and tailoring, yes ok, but I enjoyed my pre-cryengine avatar looks and clothes too, tbh.

What I do see from a new game engine is the scope for bigger worlds at low dev cost and other developments that have been held back precisely due to considerations of implementing UE (fairy) soon...
Up-to-date graphics will also bring in new players to at least try out UEEU or EUUE, whatever, but retention will remain a problem I feel. How much of a difference will graphics make, or will there be a host of improved society, mission, exploration, building, crafting etc features alongside the switch?
Thinking back to the move to cryengine we actually LOST stuff for quite a while, most notably pets. I don't expect that this time, but will we be anything more than 'ported' to the new engine initially?
Admittedly, some retention from a hype would be more than some retention from the game as it is, because I see few people praising the game or recommending it at the moment. BUT, what will retention figures look like given how skills now extend so far, and will platform flexibility increase player-base potential or will increased low-spec demands lower potential overall? I've always played low end, and may be on a mini-pc and linux by 2025, who knows? (Please spare comments on requiring less specs - 4 GB RAM and onboard graphics simply won't cut it in the future, ok?!)

There is no indication UE5 update will happen in the next 20 years.

Only information I have is that some NI devs are helping out MindArk on this. By what they've shown so far - the project could be cancelled completely, and current employees are just maintenance workers for whatever is currently left.
MA doesn't do the communication thing all that well. This is a problem that could really do with some improvement. I would much rather have a soft estimate with heavy qualifications than radio silence.

I really do hope you're wrong, however, there's not much else to say here...

If shtf, they could reach out to the community, I know that many people here are able to help, several players did express the will to help out with development on this forum alone. Most players don't even follow PCF afaik. It wouldn't be a bad thig if they asked the community for help.
Generally speaking, you can't dev for the game (or work for MA) and play the game too.

If you went to work for them, you'd have to give up the game.

Which is of course a self-defeating problem.

This game will never attract the typical wow/ff14/lost ark, etc types. It'll attract the gamers who gamble or have gambling OR investing personalities. There will be some cross over, but that's just how it is. Having the game with up to date graphics/mechanics AND transparency along with it being in the Epic store will draw in people who will stay. It will be the customer service or lack there of that makes them leave.
You could attract more of those types of people if there was a bit more "game" to the game. Still wouldn't be for everyone of course.

And if they updated some of the monetization/gamification to reflect modern trends it might help. What if, for instance, part of the TWEN celebration was a game pass or season pass with known rewards for certain achievements?

Ive dabbled with ue5 and unity as a amateur dev and managed to make a functional game demo with chat gtp in a month , assuming Ma hired real devs the hard part would be migrating the assets and code from the cryengine to entropia to work as intended, in term of visuals it wouldnt be hard , but making sure all of EUs core functions like weapon/armor crafting mining mechanics work , i assume that would be the hard part since they might need to test and might have to make new code or have the old code be revamped ,my guess is once they successfully migrate those mechanics and our players stats along them they will hopefully bring everything else into the game like pets, ships and other professions, or maybe the reason they show no progress is they intend to fully migrate every function in game from sweating to ships and instances in one go. I just hope this goes better than cryengine migration

This Eye Cand is gone in less 1 month after release .

You never going make decent playerbase if game loop is not good enough

Entropia game loop relay in Real Cash , most majority playerbase come here and stay here for
1 - Chance Profits , if this game not have real cash everyone know how shit this game its is

I guess its not need say again , that economy in entropia is on bad shape...

Bad economy -> Less player can self-sustain/Increase player cost per play -> Lead Less Activity -> Less Markup -> Less attraction to they core audience target
Something like that....

Back