EU on Linux (WINE)

I have been able to get past the login screen, but it crashes as soon as I try to move. whether or not it will make it past login seems to be dependent on area. it also looks pretty bad, lots of model glitches (stretching/untextured), and bad lighting is pretty random (either so bright you can't see anything, or only the ground is lit and everything else is black, etc). I messed around with all the graphics settings in the options, but never could figure out a nice, clean, playable combo.

but, by all means, give it a shot. I just guess and click when it comes to WINE, hehe. good luck!

Well, I'm sold :laugh:

bump

bump, can anyone confirm if what's suggested in #261 post still works? Going to give it a try later this week or next weekend if I get some time.

Also, if anyone can make it work, is there a "safer mode" then safe mode? Technical part of this forum suggests a few tweaks for low level computers to get in to EU, but nothing for messing around with Wine...

bump, can anyone confirm if what's suggested in #261 post still works? Going to give it a try later this week or next weekend if I get some time.

Also, if anyone can make it work, is there a "safer mode" then safe mode? Technical part of this forum suggests a few tweaks for low level computers to get in to EU, but nothing for messing around with Wine...
IMHO it's worth trying:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=5880

May 23, 2009
[YOUTUBE]fZ147bcoLi0[/YOUTUBE]

July 09, 2008
[YOUTUBE]orLcfJejeuo[/YOUTUBE]

P.S. Let us know about results, plz.

Not sure if this is helpful or not, but I saw this blog post today
http://ubuntu-blog.com/how-to-install-directx-10-on-ubuntu

Here's the babelfish of the russian junk in the installer:
Yahoo! My Yahoo! Mail Make Yahoo! your home page

Search the Web

Yahoo! Babel Fish
Sign In
New User? Sign up

Babel Fish Home - Help
In English

Following question concerning the project! 1. Find to me [bildy] whists under numbers 5259 or 5270 (who will find, will be obtained BY [BONUS] (reference to write workers, if there is personally in you, still better, write in the commentaries that there are [bildy])) 2. The start in the complete set of the files of d3d8.dll and d3d9.dll is still put aside until October 2008. We compulsorily write the answers in the commentaries to the news Of directX10 to the site. *** of *** of *** Starting Of hellgate Of london with the support DX10 In order to play into Hellgate Of london DX10 on Windows XP necessarily 1. To find the file of ntlfl.cfg in the folder “Of game Of fix” 2. After this, visit into the folder with the game, or more precisely v. \ Hellgate Of london \ Of data \ you will place the there obtained file (without having forgotten to make a reserve copy) 3. For the game compulsorily start [EKHE] file DX9 4. Play. P.S of the option Of directX10 in the game will remain inaccessible, do not turn to this of attention so must be! For the council we thank the user of our site Of nicopol *** of *** of *** Installation of the drawings of [patcha] to the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R. There is nothing complex in this. Simply follow the stated below instructions 1. For the beginning find in the catalog “Game Of fix” the file of user.ltx 2. We further find the catalog of tuning game S.T.A.L.K.E.R (usually it to be located in the general documents, and it is called stalker-shoc) 3. We substitute the file of user.ltx by that located there, which you copied from the folder “Of game Of fix” having preliminarily made a reserve copy of the replaceable file. 4. Everything, we start and play. *** of *** of *** Tuning Crysis to “very high” of the option So that Crysis would work during tuning Of very Of high necessary to accomplish the following actions: 1. In the folder BIN of game to find two files, CryRenderD3D9.dll and CryRenderD3D10.dll 2. Their names must be changed between themselves. 3. To then create label for the file Of crysis.exe 4. In its properties (right button of mouse - > property), there where " [Obekt]" to at the end add “_DX10” 5. Or, if point 4 did not succeed, then write “_-DX10” 6. Version without the gap is so possible, everything depends on the version P.S. To write without the quotation marks and sign “_” to substitute by gap! THE THANKS TO ALL PARTICIPANTS IN THE FORUM, WHO PARTICIPATED AND HE HELPED WITH THE SOLUTION OF [PROBLEMM] [SVYAZANYKH] WITH DIRECTX10. © www.lwgame.net
( Enter up to 150 words )
Translate again

Следующий вопрос касательно проекта! 1. Найдите мне билды Висты под номерами 5259 или 5270 (кто найдет, получит БОНУС (ссылки писать рабочие, если есть лично у вас, еще лучше, напишите в комментариях что есть билды)) 2. Включение в комплект файлов d3d8.dll и d3d9.dll все еще откладывается до октября 2008 года. ОБЯЗАТЕЛЬНО пишем ответы в комментариях к новости DirectX10 на сайте . *** *** *** Запуск Hellgate London с поддержкой DX10 Чтобы играть в Hellgate London DX10 на Windows XP нужно 1. Найти файл ntlfl.cfg в папке «Game Fix» 2. После этого зайдите в папку с игрой, а точнее в ..\Hellgate London\Data\ и поместите туда найденный файл (не забыв сделать резервную копию) 3. Для игры обязательно запускайте ЕХЕ файл DX9 4. Играйте. P.S Опции DirectX10 в игре останутся недоступными, не обращайте на это внимания так и должно быть! За совет благодарим пользователя нашего сайта Nicopol *** *** *** Установка график патча на игру S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Ничего сложного в этом нет. Просто следуйте нижеприведенным инструкциям 1. Для начала найдите в каталоге «Game Fix» файл user.ltx 2. Далее находим каталог настроек игры S.T.A.L.K.E.R (обычно он находиться в общих документах, и называется stalker-shoc) 3. Заменяем находящийся там файл user.ltx на тот, который вы скопировали из папки «Game Fix» предварительно сделав резервную копию заменяемого файла. 4. Все, запускаем и играем. *** *** *** Настройка Crysis на «Очень Высокие» опции Чтобы Crysis работал на настройках Very High надо проделать следующие действия: 1. В папке BIN игры найти два файла, CryRenderD3D9.dll и CryRenderD3D10.dll 2. Их названия надо поменять между собой. 3. Потом создать ярлык для файла Crysis.exe 4. В его свойства (правая кнопка мыши -> свойства), там где "Объект" в конце добавить “_DX10” 5. Или, если пункт 4 не удался, то писать “_-DX10” 6. Так же возможен вариант без пробела, все зависит от версии P.S. Писать без кавычек и знак «_» заменять пробелом! СПАСИБО ВСЕМ УЧАСТНИКАМ ФОРУМА, КТО ПРИНИМАЛ УЧАСТИЕ И ПОМОГАЛ В РЕШЕНИИ ПРОБЛЕММ СВЯЗАНЫХ С DIRECTX10. © www.lwgame.net

Translate a web page

Translation Tips:

Tips 1: Use correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation for the highest quality translations.
Tips 2: After you've translated some text, click the button marked "Search the web with this text" in order to launch a search using the translation results as your query.
Tips 3: Compare a translated web page with the original by clicking "View page in its original language."
Translate directly from your browser!
Download Yahoo! Toolbar
Sponsored Links

* Translators
Search Businesses At Local.com For A Translator Near You.
Local.com
* Download Yahoo! Toolbar
Preview the Latest News, Emails, Weather & More from your Toolbar.
toolbar.yahoo.com

Add Babel Fish Translation to your site
SYSTRAN - Internet translation technologies

Copyright © 2010 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy - Terms of Service - Help

I assume the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. it's talking about is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.T.A.L.K.E.R

last several tries on launch for eu I got some problem and it wanted to do the repair thingy... so back to downloading another 5 hours...fun, fun, fun...

if this russian junk is illegal or some sort of adware junk, which I am starting to think it might be because of that weird message, I'm going to try to get the real direct x download directly from Microsoft's site... this stuff above is talking about 2008, so this installer thing is probably outdated anyways? i think it's the same thing over at http://www.brothersoft.com/km-software-directx-10-197601.html

Last edited:
subscribing. Only reason I still run windows is EU.

subscribing. Only reason I still run windows is EU.

same here, we've got about 40+ BSD & Linux boxes here of a pretty good specs but the only one running native MS Windows is the one for EU - a real pain.

All my other gaming is done on Linux, either native (Flightgear/UrbanTerror etc) or MS-WindowsXP in a virtual machine, usually Virtualbox. EU is just too jerky for me in a VM though, I even rolled my own Gentoo and Funtoo builds in a desperate attempt to get max speed but no luck :(

L

Due to popular demand i'll revisit this and update the Wine AppDB entry with my findings. AFAIK the bug that allows the mouse to leave the app window has not been fixed and that has always been a big limitation even when PE/EU would otherwise work.

The footdragging on that particular issue by whatzisname that runs wine with an iron fist has gotten beyond ridiculous given the number of games affected by the problem and i got so frustrated i stopped following the bug discussion. Unless the real fix for that has been submitted (requiring work in X, the mouse driver, and wine iirc), EU is not going to be playable even if it runs.

The mouse bug your talking about only effects play when you have the mouse captured or whatever its called when you hit space bar right?

narfi

The mouse bug your talking about only effects play when you have the mouse captured or whatever its called when you hit space bar right?

narfi

I believe so. It affects First Person Shooter-type games. Unfortunately that's the way i'm used to controlling EU.

Anyway, i tried EU on my original wine install that worked with VU9.x and had no luck. Then i updated wine to the latest release and tried, again with no luck. Finally, i nuked the wine install (deleted the .wine directory and uninstalled/reinstalled the packages and tried, one by one, the extra installs using winetricks. I could never get the client loader to do more than display a blank error box. Axel was able to get it to work (somewhat) in January, so it's either change in EU or possibly an Nvidia vs. ATI issue that prevented it from working.

Very disappointing. We were almost to a fully-functional situation before VU10.

If anybody manages to figure out what's causing the error and resolve it, please post.

tip, use wine version 1.1.16.

Use any other versions, older or later than that won't work.

Specially later versions after that have regressions.

dandy

tip, use wine version 1.1.16.

Use any other versions, older or later than that won't work.

Specially later versions after that have regressions.

dandy

What are the regressions so the proper bugs can be attributed/submitted?

With them in feature freeze to get out version 1.2 it seems a pretty serious thing that something has been broken since such an old version.

am no programmer.

I tested on Virtual Box, with all wine versions, and the only work version is 1.1.16.

(virtual box windows xp client under windows xp)

edit: I like to add that it won't work under Windows 7, and suspect Vista too.

dandy

Last edited:
I think you need to tell us more about your setup, i.e what distro used, hw (graphicscard), some cards work better than others.

What is the current stable version of wine ? :)

I think you need to tell us more about your setup, i.e what distro used, hw (graphicscard), some cards work better than others.

What is the current stable version of wine ? :)

Now I will b treated like a green man;)

I think I have given my secret already.

dandy

well, I did some updates with Playon Linux and a few other oddball things and got Diablo II working fine in wine. Now to figure out how to get Entropia Universe. 1.16 Wine you say - will have to check what I am using... can't remember off hand. Something weird did change somehow. Before I did the upgrades, the updater at least worked and downloaded the software from EU. Now, the loader won't even come up to start that process... Also I think there's something strange in how Wine uninstalls stuff. Seems that it actually deletes the folders and things where the programs were installed, but they still show up on the system menu on main panel.

am no programmer.

I tested on Virtual Box, with all wine versions, and the only work version is 1.1.16.

dandy

Sorry, i'm just trying to figure out what's needed, and this is just increasing my confusion. Why did you need virtual box to use wine, especially if you had XP as your host? :scratch2:

Are you saying you just wanted to test it out, and did so with a linux client in windows xp-hosted virtual machine, with wine on that linux client?

am no programmer.

dandy
Yes, what do you mean by that... are you using Linux inside of a virtual box on a Windows machine?!? If so, that sounds impressive as virtual box eats a lot of memory. What's your machine specs?

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=17569

talks about winetricks.

How do you install winetricks?

I'm assuming the instructions at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=695234
and http://ubuntu-snippets.blogspot.com/2008/05/as-most-of-us-know-wine-is-used-to-run.html

still work... will try it later.

Can anyone verify if it works?

Winetricks simplifies installing a lot of things, so that's why i used it. The original instructions were all by hand and it was a PITA. :laugh:

You just grab the latest version from http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks and run it like a script: sh winetricks or even just winetricks. The instructions on wine appdb are pretty much verbatim. If you revert to 1.1.16 and have luck with it please let us know. :)

got some interesting output when I tried opening it via terminal... will PM you Doer.

Very cool thread but ACK! I'm confused. I assume there is a minimum version of WINE I need in order to make EU work. What is the minimum version I should be running?
Then I can take that info and build a debian system for it (although my past experiences with any debian later than Stable have been frustrating - hm, I wonder if I can run EU on Debian Stable yet :laugh: )
Comp is sitting waiting for the phone line to be free long enough for me to download whichever Debian version I need, once i know what version I need that is. Anyone wants a relatively convenient way to install Debian, try out Damn Small Linux. It was USD $2 for the business-card CD + $5 for the shipping and it has proven indispensable each time I reinstall. Yes I know Debian does not need much maintenance, but I tend to break software by tinkering with it :silly:

Gack, Debian is the tortoise again. Stable offers WINE 1.0.1 :laugh: and Unstable is even stuck at WINE 1.0.3 :eek:

http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/ is what you want, especially if you are on dialup and are installing a very minimal system. The debconf allows a quite minimal install.

re: Wine versions - Debian Stable is called Stable for a reason, it's very conservative with updates and only moves up when things are ready.

For a faster-moving (*) APT-based distro try Ubuntu, from a quick Google they have a Wine PPA for more recent versions that in the repos, that may be closer to the git or svn sources.
I'm a Debian and BSD freak not really an Ubuntu one, so can't really comment. I also haven't tried EU in Wine since the Cryingame VU.

If you needing speed and minimal overhead, look into LXDE as a desktop environment-like window manager. It's not much more resource intensive than Openbox or Fluxbox.

(*) Sometimes too fast - it's often said that Ubuntu is Debian with more regular releases and more regular release-related bugs lol.

good luck

This is the VU 11 page for Entropia Universe in the wine appdb.

It's actually only a very old version that is reported to work with EU at this point.

Thank you both - whoa WINE 0.96 is like pre-Woody isn't it? Any rate, I went to the netinst download page before checking the forum just now. DamnSmall works fine except when a problem with my power supply freezes it. I think installing stable from netinst is more likely to work.

Think I'll try regressing WINE to 0.96, sound fun :D and I'll also try out LXDE, no such thing as freeing up too much memory.

I do know about Ubuntu... a little too well for my comfort. It's a great idea in concept. It's probably better than Debian for most of the people who will read this. I however have not yet recovered from a recent incident involving an Ubuntu distribution, ppp, and my root password. I do NOT like getting locked out of my own system even when I break it myself, and this one arrived broken on the CD it came on. So for a while I am unwilling to touch Ubuntu.

Yea I know, progressing my system by hand is more work than living with Ubuntu, but then I am still used to SuSE 6.1, which does almost everything by hand BUT is extremely robust as well as friendly to tinkerers. If I could find its old CDs I'd be done by now :laugh:

Yea I know, progressing my system by hand is more work than living with Ubuntu, but then I am still used to SuSE 6.1, which does almost everything by hand BUT is extremely robust as well as friendly to tinkerers. If I could find its old CDs I'd be done by now
I played around with SuSe's FTP installer a few years back... never got too much in to Linux back then... too many issues. Believe it or not, at one point in time about 5-6 years ago I had Windows 98, Windows xp, Suse and Mandrake all on the same little computer... crazy ol days from long ago... I really would like to move to Linux eventually for everything, but there's still lots of stuff I rely on that I'm finding more and more does not work under Linux. I just bought too much software and do stuff like EU that relies too much on Windows to run well in Linux. It is better now then it used to be, but things need to still improve massively before Linux is completely ready for the masses, even with something simiple like Ubuntu, that's about as close to Windows as you can get without going to Lindows (I even got my dear ol mother-in-law running on Ubuntu now - figure it's easier that way since the updates are automatic and I got tired of getting calls in the middle of the night about how windows was doing something crazy that she did not understand.)

I finally got myself up and running with Windows again, but this little jump in to the wide world of Ubuntu got me liking it enough that it's back on the system but under wubi this time in case I need to do major changes. I hate having to repartition stuff... and have had some very bad issues with partitioning a few years back when it came to grub... Strangely, when I had the full distro of ubuntu up and going I could not get wifi running at all after trying a lot of various this and thats... Under Wubi that automatically started working like a charm.

Last edited:
I think what bothers me the most about playing an MMO on Windows is how prone Windows is to virus etc trouble. I can see keeping Windows around on its own partition and only using it for EU. I can also see, and am more interested in, installing my Windows on top of kvm and playing EU on Linux. No sense adding viral proclivities for me to stress about in an already stressful game.

Can't do it yet because my CPU is too old for kvm. If I get bored enough I'll try running kvm on top of qemu. Whichever route I go, I'll report the results in this thread.

I think what bothers me the most about playing an MMO on Windows is how prone Windows is to virus etc trouble. I can see keeping Windows around on its own partition and only using it for EU. I can also see, and am more interested in, installing my Windows on top of kvm and playing EU on Linux. No sense adding viral proclivities for me to stress about in an already stressful game.
I don't get it how some people keep throwing this "virus" thing on Windows all the time, it's like you're complaining that your car can crash and kill you if you don't put on your seat-belt, so you don't drive at all because you're too lazy to put on the seat-belt...

I don't get it how some people keep throwing this "virus" thing on Windows all the time, it's like you're complaining that your car can crash and kill you if you don't put on your seat-belt, so you don't drive at all because you're too lazy to put on the seat-belt...
It is true that Windows is more virus prone then Linux. It's just a plain simple fact. Windows is updated when the few number of developers at Microsoft become aware of security issues, etc. and try to resolve them eventually. Linux is updated daily by massive teams of dedicated individuals who actually care about what they are doing and are not just there to collect a paycheck... If a virus does happen in Linux, it's usually detected by someone somewhere faster, reported, and patched to fix the problem. If, in the worst case scenario, Linux does get completely virii filled somehow, it's no big deal because Linux is free, and a new installation is only an iso download away. Windows on the other hand is used by the masses that have no programming skills at all, and if their recovery cd doesn't work, they are hosed and have to either pay to get a new oem installer, pay to get a new restore cd, pay someone else to fix their problem, or in some other way end up paying someone some money just to make their computer work again the way it should... If that's not bad enough, M$ changes just enough every few years to make it impossible for older hardware and/or operating systems it gave out earlier not work. That's why .com exists. That's why .net exists. That's why direct X exists. That's why Visual C++ has so many proprietary things that are not included in the normal C++ programming tools that are freely available to the masses. That's why M$ no longer officially supports Windows 98, etc. You paid them money that long ago, they don't care about you any more. Pay them more money today and you can get the latest and greatest version of Windows again, and some support, but only for 2-3 years til the next version of Windows comes along, then you are useless to them again and they won't help you much or officially support you for what you paid them to give you....it's a frustrating, pointless cycle that requires bottomless wallet money that you are throwing at M$ or Apple, or whoever forever for no reason... completely silly when free alternatives that just work better are out there.

In short, Linux is more virus free because it's free, freely able to be modified quickly, and is not prone to slowness and bloat that Windows and other operating systems put out by companies like Microsoft and Apple have a tendency to collect over time.

Thats why it really irritates me that EU does not work on Linux. At one point in time in the past, Cryengine 1 supposedly was based on open gl, and was available on Linux, and other operating systems. Crytek and MA both fell for the bs from M$ and now it's all Direct X based, and only works on Windows... I guess that's smart on their part though because they probably figure those silly enough to waste bottomless amounts of pocket money on upgrading Windows forever are silly enough to constantly pay more and more to keep their pedcards filled.... What they forgot about though was that if people are constantly upgrading their hardware and stuff by paying M$ and various computer companies to buy new computers every year, they are blowing money that could be spent on pedcards, so they are actually loosing money by falling for they hype and not supporting opengl, and open source.

Last edited:
Back