EU on Linux (WINE)

Still relatively unplayable with stock Wine install due to the mouse cursor escaping the program window problem that plagues many games in Wine. The is supposed to be someone working on dplay or something to fix that but not making fast progress.

A lot of work is going into Wine3D so hopefully the shaders will work soon and we will be able to run with shaders turned on.

Hi

Im trying to run EU on Ubuntu Hardy trough WINE. I was able to install EU with no problemas, however when the game was ready, i was asked to install Windows Media Player, and that was somewhat of a challenge. I installed WMP9 , but when i try to launch the game im given this error:

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

Any ideas?

Hi

Im trying to run EU on Ubuntu Hardy trough WINE. I was able to install EU with no problemas, however when the game was ready, i was asked to install Windows Media Player, and that was somewhat of a challenge. I installed WMP9 , but when i try to launch the game im given this error:

Any ideas?

Maybe EU is complaining because it doesn't have total control over the gfx card. That would be my guess from the Direct3D HAL.

y i think so too, but its odd because if i run the fglrxinfo cmd on my console it displays my gfx card correctly as ATI Mobility Radeon 9600/9700 Series

Plus ive played other games trough WINE, like Cultures2 for instance

Ok after re-reading the subject on the WineHQ about EU, i realized i missed some steps, so after going trough those, im not given that error anymore, but when the game launches, all i get is grey instead of the login screen.

Still this may be due to the gfx card issue, but if i start the client loader, my card fills the requirements for EU.

Does dxdiag work properly? Did you uncheck the box in Wine settings that enables shaders? Other than that i don't know what to say. It is good to have someone else report success with using the installer. Little by little EU is getting better support in wine.

i did disable the shaders.

Both EU and dxdiag give me errors in the console.

I get a crap load of this while running dxdiag:

err: ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {cc7bfb46-f175-11d1-a392-00e0291f3959} could be created for context 0x1
err: ole:CoGetClassObject class {cf1dda2c-9743-11d0-a3ee-00a0c9223196} not registered

And alot of this when running EU:

2) from glUseProgramObjectARB @ glsl_shader.c / 3568
fixme:d3d_shader:shader_glsl_load_constants >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_OPERATION (0x502) from glUniform4fvARB @ glsl_shader.c / 521
fixme:font:RemoveFontMemResourceEx (0x87734da9) stub

So something went wrong with directx installation maybe?

i did disable the shaders.

Both EU and dxdiag give me errors in the console.

I get a crap load of this while running dxdiag:

err: ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {cc7bfb46-f175-11d1-a392-00e0291f3959} could be created for context 0x1
err: ole:CoGetClassObject class {cf1dda2c-9743-11d0-a3ee-00a0c9223196} not registered

And alot of this when running EU:

2) from glUseProgramObjectARB @ glsl_shader.c / 3568
fixme:d3d_shader:shader_glsl_load_constants >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_OPERATION (0x502) from glUniform4fvARB @ glsl_shader.c / 521
fixme:font:RemoveFontMemResourceEx (0x87734da9) stub

So something went wrong with directx installation maybe?

TBH i don't watch console errors in wine when running games because there are so many. Do the actual dxdiag tests complete properly and display the cube and whatnot?

Do the actual dxdiag tests complete properly and display the cube and whatnot?

Well the Direct3D tests are successful although the cubes spin so fast i can barely see they're cubes.

Some of the sound and music tests fail tho.

Well the Direct3D tests are successful although the cubes spin so fast i can barely see they're cubes.

Some of the sound and music tests fail tho.

Ok, in that case it may just be that the driver doesn't support something with that particular video card that is necessary. I actually have the Radeon 9600 Mobile in my laptop, too, but i haven't had linux on it for a couple years. I might throw gentoo on there sometime but for now i can't help. Sorry.

its odd tho, since i am able to play some other games trough WINE just fine, ah well back to the drawing board :)

I agree with you. I can play many games under WINE with no issues or even Cedega. I can't pinpoint what MA uses that keeps EU so locked into a Win environment.

I did it! :yay::yay::yay:
Although I can't go for team hunting I can chat and move around without having to boot on windows.

All thanks to Doer and his complete instructions at
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=9456

Following are some snapshots showing the graphics situation. I also have problems with mouse going outside the EU window.

Me in front of my little shop:yay:

"empty" Twin Peaks
:scratch2:

Compiz with EU!
:wtg:

Last edited:
just reporting ... it does work (Debian Lenny's wine package, version 1.01)

However i had to reverse the order. first installed the Visual C runtime files and then directx 9 (and wmp at last)

That doesn't mean the game is playable - moving around is extremely jerky due to the mouse jumping around. Any change this is fixed in newer versions?

@charis: try to disable pixel shaders. it makes things look much better and worse at the same time ;-)

edit:
not only the mouse jumps around, but sometimes it seems that there's a struck key as well, resuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuulting in slightly maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalformed wordsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

Last edited:
shaders off and things got a little better...Now I can trade :)

I also have problems with the sound...I don't have any. Any help?

EDIT:
I have checked and unchecked everything on the sound tab at the configuration with no success.

Last edited:
I don't think i've had working sound yet. It wasn't much of an issue, so i didn't look into it. I'll see what i can do.

The mouse problem is due to limitations in the directplay or directx implementation for wine which derive from differences in the X server scope and paradigm vs. Windows. This makes it impossible to track the mouse outside of the wine desktop window coordinates, so when the (unseen) mouse cursor reaches the screen edge as you steer your avatar, you will suddenly spin as the mouse cursor values go bogus. The workaround is to make small motions and return the cursor to the center again in the non-FPS mode: it's not a very good workaround. Alternatively, you can switch to the click-to-move mode and click your way around the terrain and auto-aim for attacking.

This is a problem for many, many games that use the mouse to steer the avatar. Someone was supposedly working on a proposed solution (rather complex), but i don't think any progress has been made on the actual development. If the problem was limited to wine itself i'd have a go, but i believe this requires changes to X or some library thereof first.

Last edited:
The mouse problem is due to limitations in the directplay or directx implementation for wine which derive from differences in the X server scope and paradigm vs. Windows. This makes it impossible to track the mouse outside of the wine desktop window coordinates, so when the (unseen) mouse cursor reaches the screen edge as you steer your avatar, you will suddenly spin as the mouse cursor values go bogus. The workaround is to make small motions and return the cursor to the center again in the non-FPS mode: it's not a very good workaround. Alternatively, you can switch to the click-to-move mode and click your way around the terrain and auto-aim for attacking.
That workaround is good enough for navigating, but unfortunately not for attacking. I'll try to run the game full screen, that might negate the 'mouse reaches the screen edge'.
Unfortunately moving around with only the keyboard is a little imprecise, as the avatar turns a fixed amount each key-press.

This is a problem for many, many games that use the mouse to steer the avatar. Someone was supposedly working on a proposed solution (rather complex), but i don't think any progress has been made on the actual development. If the problem was limited to wine itself i'd have a go, but i believe this requires changes to X or some library thereof first.
Talking about a can o' worms :rolleyes:

just one minor note (that is very important)

I have to cd to the directory in which Entropia.exe is located, else it will fail.
Not cding there has caused major headache (yesterday it worked, why does it fail now?)

I successful managed to log onto EU from inside Ubuntu with VMware and an XP virtual machine using VMwares experimental video acceleration and their virtual gfx drivers.

What Worked:

I could log on both in windowed mode and Full screen mode.
Sounds and Music seemed to be working perfectly. *Since the first microchip Man has had the power to synthesize*
I successfully used the TP to escape Twin and got to Memorial Island.
All chat and pop up windows (inventory, skills, friend list, disciple info, etc..) worked great
Hot key icons I have on the screen work fine.

What kind of worked:
The mouse works fine in full screen but in windowed mode is a dozen pixels off.
Depending on settings in the Client loader my avatar is either invisible or naked and grey.
Movement with the keyboard arrows is jerky.
Movement with the mouse is extremely jerky to the point of being almost impossible.

What I didn't try:
I didn't look for any mobs and don't remember if i could see avatars in Twin before i left or not.
Hunting - I wouldn't recommend it movement is way to jerky to be practical.
Mining - Might be possible if you mine where there are no mobs.
plenty of other stuff...

Hopeing WINE and EU mature to the point where they play nicely together,

Narfi

Sometime in the last couple of days there was an update to vmware player. So I tried again. It is a little more playable. I was able to kill a few snables at pheonix using both auto-aim and manual aim methods. Using the mouse for manual aim seems to work better now.

Still has problems with mouse position using windowed mode so Full Screen mode is necessary. I had problems with the game crashing trying to start in Full Screen, I think it had difficulties detecting the resolution of the virtual machine and kept resizing the vm window and then crashed. I worked around this by rotating my cube to another desktop untill it had time to figure itself out then rotating back, It seemed to work pretty well this way.

Still hoping for a seamless solution someday,

narfi

Haven't been around much in a long while but I thought I would give PE/EU a shot again. Anyways...

I have managed to get EU installed under wine 1.1.20. It works for the most part... when outside of buildings no Avatar or Mob models show.

if anyone has any ideas on what I can try to get them working let me know...

Heres what I did.

(using Ubuntu 9.04)
Install Wine
Download Winetricks Script from: http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks

cd to the location you downloaded the script to.

Install Corefonts and Visual C++ 6 runtimes
sh winetricks corefonts vcrun6

Install and config DirectX 9
sh winetricks directx9

Install Windows Media Player 9
sh winetricks wmp9

Install Internet Explorer 6 (not certain this is required but I did it anyways.)
sh winetricks ie6

then download the installer for EU and run with wine.

you will need to start the Entropia.exe from cli, the client loader doesn't seem to work properly.

cd ~\.wine\drive_c\Program\ Files\Mindark\Entropia\ Universe

wine Entropia.exe

I have managed to get EU installed under wine 1.1.20. It works for the most part... when outside of buildings no Avatar or Mob models show.

if anyone has any ideas on what I can try to get them working let me know...

It's mentioned in the winehq guide. You need to disable shaders in the wine settings. It makes everything uglier, but at least you can see mobs and avatars in "daylight shading".

Vu10

hey napo....
hope your planning on testing this and posting how to run VU10 on linux for me :)

narfi

You know it narfi! ;)

I've heard Crysis runs nicely on Linux so who knows. :D Perhaps it will run better then ever! :yay:

/Napo

If it can somehow bypass the mouse centering problem that affects UT and many other FPS then it just might be a step up for EU on WINE. I'm not holding my breath though.

Well folks, the news isn't good. While the installer and client loader/patcher work better than they have in the past, and the login page loads, it's no-go from there: crash. The crash throws an error window in the client loader, but the window is empty, which isn't all that helpful.

Worse, i took a look at the crysis page at winehq, and that really makes things seem grim: even a game as widely known as crysis hasn't gotten to the point it can earn better than a bronze rating after two years. Furthermore, the mouse-leaves-window bug that made EU pretty much unplayable in previous VUs affects Crysis, so it can be expected to affect VU 10.

I'll try again after the next VU, but i think linux users are pretty much screwed for the time being. Try a windows image in virtual box.

This is very disappointing. I was hoping that a modern engine with a cleaned-up EU codebase would work better on wine.

Edit for details: There are two unimplemented D3D functions showing up in the console, one of which is called hundreds of times before the client goes down. I don't know if that is responsible for the crash, but it can't be good. There's been a lot of work on Wine3D lately, so maybe that will get fixed soon.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update as I'm a WINE newb.

Was hoping it would work, then i'd only need to get a better gfx card instead of needed an additional 64bit commercial OS too :(

Thanks for the update as I'm a WINE newb.

Was hoping it would work, then i'd only need to get a better gfx card instead of needed an additional 64bit commercial OS too :(

Just FYI you don't have to run a 64 bit OS on a 64 bit machine. If you have an old copy of XP 32 you can use that. Actually, that's what i'm doing.

Hate to necro bump anything, but didn't want to start a new thread.

Anyone know how WINE runs EU now? I figure the lack of news in this thread doesn't mean anything good for it. Apparently I have to get/build a new EU computer, and WINE would make that a pretty cheap prospect.

I have been able to get past the login screen, but it crashes as soon as I try to move. whether or not it will make it past login seems to be dependent on area. it also looks pretty bad, lots of model glitches (stretching/untextured), and bad lighting is pretty random (either so bright you can't see anything, or only the ground is lit and everything else is black, etc). I messed around with all the graphics settings in the options, but never could figure out a nice, clean, playable combo.

but, by all means, give it a shot. I just guess and click when it comes to WINE, hehe. good luck!

Back