EU on Linux (WINE)

Thought I'd give this a shot with the latest WINE update ... seems to be some progress (I think, haven't tried in a while).

Note that using Safe Mode was graphically horrible. I had to move the shading up to at least 'High' settings to be bearable, and even make some objects (such as my avatar) show at all. Also some pretty frequent crashes. So it may not be perfect, but at least playable graphically ... IF it would stay open, ha. Using WINE 1.3.5 on Ubuntu 10.10.

I hope someone already bugzilla'd this? :ahh:

I downloaded entropia_universe_setup_11.3.6.59947, put it on 7 CD's, put it on my linux machine in Program Files/Entropia Universe/; Ran it; Ran bin32/ClientLoader.exe; and then ran bin32/Entropia.exe.
Wine said "The program Entropia.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close".

Sound familiar?

Playing in Linux

play on linux

wine 1.1.17

winetricks ie 6

Join my soc Play Entropia In Linux

youtube.com/user/davvvvve

nice to hear that there is some improvement in this area.

wine 1.3.6 patched with http://bugs2.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=27310
winetricks ie6
dlloverride = mmdevapi.dll ( No sound otherwise )

Stable , nice graphic (windowslike) sound ,

ingameoptions = Quality shading = high or very high

this is the only thing i need to do then ? Because I downloaded 1.3.7 did this and nothing worked. Clientloader worked (tho content downloading is wayyyyy slow not on windows there it is fast) but when i got everything i started and it just shows me a black screen (cursor is visible)

I can't try it at the moment since I've got another OS taking up too much hard drive space. I may try in a few months. Might be interesting to get someone at MA involved in this. Imagine if they made a distro that included EU as a part of the installation! :)

Sony PS3 can use Linux, specifically Yellow Dog Linux.

i dont think they are able to use the gfx card yet. or was that xbox? :ahh:

Problem being, the CELL processor is completely different than an Intel or AMD x86 or x64 CPU, and the GPU is completely different too. There is a wine port for it but EU will not run on it at all, I was inspecting the driver code and it's really meant for business related software that doesn't use DirectX, just GDI and GDI+ calls, like Microsoft Office or better yet, LibreOffice.

X-Box360 is the same problem, has 3 core CPU but it's completely different than the CPUs used in PCs, completely different op codes, you would need to emulate the hardware first then do a HCL on top of it, not worth it, the emulation and HCL of Windows would kill chances in the first place.

Besides the consoles don't have enough video memory for EU to even run on in the first place. :)

Let alone main memory! :wise:

Back