F-key function almost invaluable

INTERNUT

Alpha
Society
Freelancer
INTERNUT
Until fairly recently I had no idea about the auto-fire F-key function that you can use against mobs (I thought it was just for exiting vehicles), and even then I still thought you had to manually aim at the mob first, but you don't! You can just aim in the general direction of one before hitting the F-key and this will auto target it before firing. It will also auto-range a target if it's too far away.
I realise this will be nothing new to many, but maybe useful info for new players.

Be nice to him people, I can see the pitchforks from my toilet paper fort.
We all have stories of “wow I’ve been doing it the hard way for how long now?” Nothing against OP, we all do it.
Glad he can now get some serious productivity done now.

I’m more impressed that he hasn’t accidentally hit the F key all this time. How does that happen? I accidentally hit everything.

Last edited:
Don't even need to aim in the general direction of the mob. It'll target and auto fire at the closest mob regardless of where it is.

Once upon a time we had to manually target mobs and short at them, if we missed their hitbox we lost our wasted peds except using melee weapon.
I remember i used to drag the mobs healthbar then click on it to guarantee a hit.

For a long time we had to use next target or previous target while using auto use tool.

Now it's simply F away. They designed the game to be so easy for a reason. I'm sure most people know why.

For a long time we had to use next target or previous target while using auto use tool.

Now it's simply F away. They designed the game to be so easy for a reason. I'm sure most people know why.

From terrible to realistic oh how could they

Once upon a time we had to manually target mobs and short at them, if we missed their hitbox we lost our wasted peds except using melee weapon.
I remember i used to drag the mobs healthbar then click on it to guarantee a hit.

Yes I remember this time, it was so difficult to aim at jumping Fouls or Chikens. And sometimes even to loot them. :D
Now hunting is a easy/boring as inserting a coin in a slot machine. Is that the reason you had in mind ?

We all have stories of “wow I’ve been doing it the hard way for how long now?” Nothing against OP, we all do it.

I’m more impressed that he hasn’t accidentally hit the F key all this time. How does that happen? I accidentally hit everything.
I knew you used the F key for exiting vehs and for auto-firing, I just didn't know you don't have to aim at the mob first.

Don't even need to aim in the general direction of the mob. It'll target and auto fire at the closest mob regardless of where it is.
So I found out recently, unless there's a tree or hill in the way.

Yep, I can see that - so players wouldn't get pi**ed off due to getting RSI. Repetitive Strain Injury!

Until fairly recently I had no idea about the auto-fire F-key function that you can use against mobs (I thought it was just for exiting vehicles), and even then I still thought you had to manually aim at the mob first, but you don't! You can just aim in the general direction of one before hitting the F-key and this will auto target it before firing. It will also auto-range a target if it's too far away.
I realise this will be nothing new to many, but maybe useful info for new players.
Dont feel bad I messed around with my Keyboard settings when I first started playing, deleted the F for win button took to level 40ish before I was even notified it was a thing.

I knew you used the F key for exiting vehs and for auto-firing, I just didn't know you don't have to aim at the mob first.
Actually then perhaps an option in the settings messed you up all this time. Because you can have it both ways. Selecting “only target locked enemies” (or wording something along those lines) will make it so you can’t auto F a mob without first tabbing onto it. Maybe you had this enabled all this time by accident.

I always thought they designed it like this in preparation for VR. For VR you only have a limited number of keys/controls which would make a game like this challenging if not impossible to play. They had aspirations for a move towards VR in the past and may have given up on those aspirations at some stage.

So we often jump to the wrong conclusions and it may not be the case they made it easy to make botting easier. Which I think your referring to.

8cnpgx.jpg

yeah it took me years to realise that you can pin down item info windows with the little pin icon top right so it doesn't close when you open another one to compare stats

I always thought they designed it like this in preparation for VR. For VR you only have a limited number of keys/controls which would make a game like this challenging if not impossible to play. They had aspirations for a move towards VR in the past and may have given up on those aspirations at some stage.

So we often jump to the wrong conclusions and it may not be the case they made it easy to make botting easier. Which I think your referring to.
Wishful thinking on both fronts.

Vr controllers have just as many buttons and a regular controller, which this game could have handled before then. In fact, aiming in VR would have been even funner (think Farpoint)

Vr controllers have just as many buttons and a regular controller, which this game could have handled before then. In fact, aiming in VR would have been even funner (think Farpoint)
What is the point in comparing to a regular controller when they have similar number keys/controls (as you point out)?

Try comparing to what we actually use i.e. keyboard, mouse and on screen icons

lol I wore out two mice, two trackballs, and a keyboard back in the day before auto action. My wife once asked me what was with all the clicking?

Try comparing to what we actually use i.e. keyboard, mouse and on screen icons
We don't need MOST of the keybinds. We need shoot, switch between 1-3 weapons. Getting in and out of vehicle. The game isn't complicated control wise, especially with on screen keybinds as well. There is 2 pieces of content that requires multiple buttons to be pressed at once, and it's RDI/Spina instance, and Space hunting.

Why the "use tool" key instead of "interact" ?

edit - nevermind .. I have my keys custom and didn't think that through

Last edited:
Dont feel bad I messed around with my Keyboard settings when I first started playing, deleted the F for win button took to level 40ish before I was even notified it was a thing.
I've always used the default kbrd settings, don't think I ever changed anything.

Back