Free thought is a good thing

Status

Peezle

Prowler
Banned
Society
Meezle
Peezle Peez McPee
Many times people have attacked me in the forum.

Many times I have talked shit and deserved to be attacked.

Many times I have found people to say things that are stupid and many times I have said stupid things.

But what annoys me more than anything is the fact so many get banned. Why? I think we all have a right to talk and if we don't like their words we can talk back or ignore them. But banning them is just weak in my opinion. I think that we all have a right to speak.

Fight with words and not bans because all this leads to is extremism.

I see this place as someone else livingroom. If I act like a dick I get kicked out.

Thanks for the effort, but this in no way compromises what I am saying.

There are always going to be badass people in this community, as with any other.

I am simple trying to say wouldn't it be awesome if we walked away from such weak things as rules and regulations?

I have read it all and still say, let people speak.

This is where courage is to be found.

The probem with things before that thread 711 made was this forum was flooded with excessive negativity and complaining, and that was ruining peoples ability to enjoy the forum.

It is possible to make a constructive point without being excessively negative and constantly complain.

Wether or not the bans that have been made following that thread have been done fairly and as the thread states they will be, i cant comment as im not a mod and i havent been paying attention.

Providing its done correctly, i welcome the attempts to combat the excessive negativity and complaining etc, pointless having a forum if its impossible to have a propper constructive discussion really.

Most perm-bans are for spammers and trolls for who have no real interest in the subject of the forum, or for people who've received multiple temp-bans and refuse to alter their behaviour.

Most temp-bans are for people who've repeatedly broken a forum rule, or have broken a rule on which there is a no-tolerance policy (such as multiple accounts, real-life threats, etc). The staff try to enforce the rules fairly, but not everyone will agree with the rules, and sometimes people will feel their ban is unfair. But in my experience forums do need some rules, and there's no point in having rules if there's no sanctions for violating those rules.

Most temp-bans are for people who've repeatedly broken a forum rule, or have broken a rule on which there is a no-tolerance policy (such as multiple accounts, real-life threats, etc). .

These rules I agree with, and should be so enforced... any sane person would agree with this Jimmy B.

What I don't see in many cases is those who simple are aggressive posters who are generally anti-game and which I will fight with to the bitter end. I see too many of those folks banned and it shouldn't be so, since we have to combat them or agree with them, but banning them is weak.

The forum has to exist as a platform for debate. Else it is weak and you lose my $ and many other $ in the process.

These rules I agree with, and should be so enforced... any sane person would agree with this Jimmy B.

What I don't see in many cases is those who simple are aggressive posters who are generally anti-game and which I will fight with to the bitter end. I see too many of those folks banned and it shouldn't be so, since we have to combat them or agree with them, but banning them is weak.

The forum has to exist as a platform for debate. Else it is weak and you lose my $ and many other $ in the process.

It's usually not a debate with those ppl. ;)

It's usually not a debate with those ppl. ;)

You are right, but I don't want to dismiss the idea that we are too stupid to fight them and work with them. Banning them is too easy and too weak. When we get to the point of reflex actions we admit we are weak.

The problem won't go away.

Why after all these years do you think the moderators just ban them?

Its because people have tried time and time and time and time again to fight and work with them, but it gets you nowhere as its impossible to do so. For the health of the forum and the ability to acctually discuss things, the mods have clearly decided the only real option is to ban as they do.

The decision to resort to banning obviously wasnt one taken lightly, its no doubt the result of this forum exsisting for as long as it has, and forum experience from outside of pcf/ef.

Why after all these years do you think the moderators just ban them?

Its because people have tried time and time and time and time again to fight and work with them, but it gets you nowhere as its impossible to do so. For the health of the forum and the ability to acctually discuss things, the mods have clearly decided the only real option is to ban as they do.

The decision to resort to banning obviously wasnt one taken lightly, its no doubt the result of this forum exsisting for as long as it has, and forum experience from outside of pcf/ef.

I hear what you are saying Stave and agree in principle with your words, but my point still stands that we have to be bold and brave enough to withstand their arguments, to be able to iron out truth in the face of their crap, else we are weak. Imagine a point when you aren't understood and you are just ignored or washed away or banned. This is the point when fanatacism takes over.

I always think that people can withstand anything, and to ban them, to ignore them, is to forget our own power.

Banning them is too easy and too weak. When we get to the point of reflex actions we admit we are weak.

I think the problem here is the public perception that we simply temp-ban right off the bat. As Jimmy B hinted at above, with most cases, we've already privately (sometimes publicly) warned the person about their behavior, usually multiple times. The temp-ban is just the next, but often most visible, step.

Please keep in mind that not everything that occurs on a forum is visible to the public. Us mods do a l-o-t of action via PMs. Often simply a private word helps the problem. Sometimes not.

It's not that we remove folks who saying things we mods disagree with. It's the method of speech that we deal with. I've been very critical of MA on many occasions, but my criticism is posted with emphasis on how to realistically fix it, (or at least hinting toward certain ideas. ;))

"It ain't what you say, but how you say it".

But what annoys me more than anything is the fact so many get banned.

What gives you the impression that 'so many get banned'?

There have actually been relatively few bans over the past few months.
In fact, right now there are only 4 members who are temp banned, and of those, two will be back in less than 7 days.

Why? I think we all have a right to talk and if we don't like their words we can talk back or ignore them. But banning them is just weak in my opinion. I think that we all have a right to speak.

The mission of PCF is to provide members a friendly, mature and informative place to share their experiences and opinions related to Entropia Universe and Planet Calypso.

Members do indeed have the right to express their opinions, provided the manner in which those opinions are expressed abide by the forum rules.

Fight with words and not bans because all this leads to is extremism.

Why should there be any fighting at all?

Mature, constructive and civil debate is encouraged here on PCF; childish insults, flaming and bickering is not. The forum rules reflect that policy.

You are right, but I don't want to dismiss the idea that we are too stupid to fight them and work with them. Banning them is too easy and too weak. When we get to the point of reflex actions we admit we are weak.

"Fighting them" <-- therein lies the problem of a civilized thread development. It tends to escalate, mostly because the discussion is conducted by 30 - 40 year old unemployed bored brats living in their rich parents basement who are just looking for a fight. Me excluded, of course, I live in the 5th floor.

Obviously, this thread topic comes from a specific action on our part. If you wish to PM me, perhaps I can help explain things better. (Though if there's personal information involved, understand I may not be allowed to discuss those details. Just like it would be rude to discuss private actions w/ you to someone else.)

I know it isn't quite the same any more, but I still see it as a fan forum really. A place where we can talk about the game we enjoy, and create a good resource of information about the game. As such if someone is totally anti-game I struggle to see why they're here.

That said, I do believe constructive criticism is important. As long as you keep your negative comments constructive and polite I wouldn't expect to see you get banned for them.

Too easy and too weak?

It's a fucking forum. Ban those who are annoying/idiots/trolls... Simple as that, no one wants that here. Why the fuck would I wanna go to the forum to see people spamming shit and then you trying to "fix it" without a ban?

Act nicely or get kicked out, simple, easy and as Ash Ketchum would have screamed...
It's super effective!

I think the problem here is the public perception that we simply temp-ban right off the bat. As Jimmy B hinted at above, with most cases, we've already privately (sometimes publicly) warned the person about their behavior, usually multiple times. The temp-ban is just the next, but often most visible, step.

Please keep in mind that not everything that occurs on a forum is visible to the public. Us mods do a l-o-t of action via PMs. Often simply a private word helps the problem. Sometimes not.

It's not that we remove folks who saying things we mods disagree with. It's the method of speech that we deal with. I've been very critical of MA on many occasions, but my criticism is posted with emphasis on how to realistically fix it, (or at least hinting toward certain ideas. ;))

"It ain't what you say, but how you say it".

You make many valid poits here John, and I am not here to argue with you.You must agree however, that a forum should exist to promote one's thoughts and feelings. I see all too clear there are people who are angry for anger's sake and are just plain bitter about their own lives to ever see that they are unwelcome in this community. I detest these people too.

But, I also see lots of players in EU who have spent much time and money and feel the need to vent and see them banned, which is also wrong. The balance has to be felt, because so far, I see too much banning and too little debating.

Let go Peezle :boxer: :boxer:
You're looking for a fight, well here I am.
LETS GO!
J/K :silly2:
Kidding aside, I think the forums mods have done a perfect job. Therefor I say great job to all the mods and keep up the good work.

Let go Peezle :boxer: :boxer:
You're looking for a fight, well here I am.
LETS GO!
J/K :silly2:
Kidding aside, I think the forums mods have done a perfect job. Therefor I say great job to all the mods and keep up the good work.

I am not looking for a fight mate, just to make my feelings known. That's all. I never claimed they were right, but I simply and humbly claim they have a value. that's all. When the point comes we can't express ourselves then all is lost.

I am 6 foot 4 and 21 stone IRL but you know what? I walk away from a fight because throwing your weight around is a sign of weakness, not strength. I think the forum needs a little courage is all, not that it's crap or weak, but that it could be stronger. And attract people because of this.

I am not looking for a fight mate, just to make my feelings known. That's all. I never claimed they were right, but I simply and humbly claim they have a value. that's all. When the point comes we can't express ourselves then all is lost.

I am 6 foot 4 and 21 stone IRL but you know what? I walk away from a fight because throwing your weight around is a sign of weakness, not strength. I think the forum needs a little courage is all, not that it's crap or weak, but that it could be stronger. And attract people because of this.

Most of us wouldn't know how much "21 stone" is, even if you wanted throw your weight around...

Most of us wouldn't know how much "21 stone" is, even if you wanted throw your weight around...

Let me rephrase it this way.... if one troll could be made into a member of the community, how awesome would that be?

It is too easy to attack and grind others into the dust.. hell, they want this to happen to themselves anyway. But if we could bring them into a state of thoughtfulness, wouldn't that be better?

Is all I am saying. And 21 ST = 250 lb btw :p

As you can deduce from the PCF mission that I described above, the primary purpose of this forum is not to provide a place for people to 'vent', nor is it to provide an octagon for members to verbally abuse one another.

If the main reason for the creation of this thread is to bemoan the loss of one of your bickering partners, then you have a very misguided view of the service this forum is meant to provide, and I suggest you take a few minutes to carefully read the forum rules as well as the following announcement:

Excessive Complaining and Negativity.

Let me rephrase it this way.... if one troll could be made into a member of the community, how awesome would that be?

How awesome would it be if people simply followed the forum rules that they agreed to when registering for the forum? Then, the volunteer moderators would not need to spend dozens of hours of their own free time each month dealing with childish behavior.

Converting trolls is a very time-consuming process (if it is even possible at all; some people unfortunately simply enjoy being disruptive on the internet and have no intention of changing their behavior). In my opinion, the time and efforts of the volunteer forum staff are much better spent on creating an enjoyable and informative environment for the vast majority of constructive and mature members of the community.

It is too easy to attack and grind others into the dust.. hell, they want this to happen to themselves anyway. But if we could bring them into a state of thoughtfulness, wouldn't that be better?

The forum staff do not 'attack' anyone or 'grind them into dust'.

As Jimmy and John explained earlier in this thread, most members who end up getting banned are in most cases given several warnings about their unruly behavior. If they choose to ignore those warnings and continue disrupting the forum, then a temporary ban is the next step.

If you have any further questions or comments about how the forum is being moderated or administrated, please contact me or one of the forum staff directly via private message.

:locked:

if one troll could be made into a member of the community, how awesome would that be?

Are you saying the trolls aren't part of our community? Funny, I disagree. :)

EDIT: Whoops, closed. Sorry. I withdraw my discussion point from further debate.

Happy hoffing all.

Status
Back