Ghosts in the system

R4tt3xx

I want to believe
Society
Freelancer
Alexis Sky Greenstar
No doubt about it Calypso is haunted, from being hacked to death by dead merps, to mining as a ghost. These bugs are very interesting glitches the MA have let crop up. I would like to add another one to that list. You all the logical type person that I am, someone please tell me why the ingame time and out of game time does not match. The times are different and have a big impact on the research that I am conducting. I do not aprove of any game designer fudging with time just to protect their easily breakable system.

if you dont approve, show proof, and details.

Better be 100% sure of those "bugs" before accusing MA.

Also, bug exploiters will be banned.

So, if you can mine as a ghost, better not mine at all or you risk being banned.

Out of game time is based on your computer system time. At least in my case. Whenever I fire up PEass, there is a 2-3 minute difference.

Why would outside time affect your research ?
Just get 2 clocks.
One with the correct time.
Other with the MA time.
4 minutes difference where I live

Time is never right because it is a man made concept. Every major country has their own atomic clock keeping track of time for them. Even then those clocks out to the 20 decimal point are off and lose time slowly but surely.

Because server time and your local time may not be the same, even if you should happen to live where the server is located.

Recently a company I worked for bought a new server which was set at whichever timezone India is in, in order to match their local transition of packages for the system maintainance.

geez...some of you need to do some reasearch before you post stuff in here.

1) Different country that have atomic clocks DO NOT have different time. All time server clocks are at the same time, usually Universal Time Coordinates or also called GMT (Grenwich Mean Time). The reason computers are not always correct at time is because they use a local osccilator from the motherboard to get time from. Those local osccilators, depending on voltage variations and temperatures are not very accurate, and have to be set by software to connect to an atomic clock time server, to be adjusted.

2) The first two digits may reflect your local time, but if compared to UTC, time will be the same, or close to it, depending how often their synced up. If you look at your Windows clock adjustement, you will see that one can set it to UTC or local time, and it will reflect plus or minus hours to comply with your local time.

3) There is free software out there if you want to keep your computers time accurate, just google it. Also if you have a radio with a shortwave band, you can set your time by going to 2.5...5.0....10.0.....15.0 megahertz and verify your time or to set your clock correctly.

Von

Oh, he is asking about minor differences in time? Forget my post then, I thought he was from sweden and was wondering why MA time didn't match his own local time despite being in the same country... oops :)

R4tt3xx said:
No doubt about it Calypso is haunted, from being hacked to death by dead merps, to mining as a ghost. These bugs are very interesting glitches the MA have let crop up. I would like to add another one to that list. You all the logical type person that I am, someone please tell me why the ingame time and out of game time does not match. The times are different and have a big impact on the research that I am conducting. I do not aprove of any game designer fudging with time just to protect their easily breakable system.

So you dont like that a system that is easely breakable isnt easely breakable because the time is not correct??

And who are you to approve or not to this?

You make totaly no sense to me hehe

Von said:

1) Different country that have atomic clocks DO NOT have different time. All time server clocks are at the same time, usually Universal Time Coordinates or also called GMT (Grenwich Mean Time). The reason computers are not always correct at time is because they use a local osccilator from the motherboard to get time from. Those local osccilators, depending on voltage variations and temperatures are not very accurate, and have to be set by software to connect to an atomic clock time server, to be adjusted.

I never said they have different time but it varies my small increments worldwide. Actually though some countries do have different time because they use a different time system. Notice how I said to the 20th decimal point. I was bored and just posted. What I should have said was there will always be variations. I will post a long essay on time when I have my papers in front of me tonight when I get home from work. I actually have something to do at the moment and it would be better to have my numbers in front of me. Just a quick point, some countries are considering adding a year to the calendar shortly because our calendar is off. Calendar time is time because it deals with the time of a solar/lunar cycle. I am not talking about server clocks I am talking about actual time.
EDIT: Don't tell someone that has researched a topic very thoroughly to do some research.

Last edited:
Scorpion i have no idea what your talking about. My post wasnt exactly towards you, since you werent the original tread starter. But your two posts refer to time behing different in other countries is goofey, cause all countries I know of get there time from the same source. Google "World Time Server" the info is there, and I dont care how many digits there are.

Von

We are going along two different paths here, you are talking about googles internet time servers but that is not used or accurate enough for the international system of units used in science, specifically physics. Forget it I am sure you want to as do I. I am about as interested in hearing about google servers as you are in hearing about oscillations of a cesium-133 isotope. On a completely different note, I like your sig.

Von said:

2) The first two digits may reflect your local time, but if compared to UTC, time will be the same, or close to it, depending how often their synced up. If you look at your Windows clock adjustement, you will see that one can set it to UTC or local time, and it will reflect plus or minus hours to comply with your local time.

3) There is free software out there if you want to keep your computers time accurate, just google it. Also if you have a radio with a shortwave band, you can set your time by going to 2.5...5.0....10.0.....15.0 megahertz and verify your time or to set your clock correctly.

Von

THIS IS SO EASY AND PAINLESS AND UNSTUPID:
- double click the traybar clock (traybar is the zone on your taskbar where utility and background icons are located (taskbar is that thing you see on your lower side of the screen))
- the date and time preferences dialog appears, click Internet Time (if you cannot find that tab (special button that changes option pages) then you have an old computer with a very old OS)
- Click update now.
- if the above step is not working, try to type time.nist.gov in the text box and update.
- click the Automatically sync... checkbox so your clock is in sync with the whole world, not your local TV/radio station.

I never have more than 10 seconds difference between my PC time and any UTC syncronized internet server. Nice explanation Von, for those that have a crappy quartz oscilator in their PC (that means all PCs), make sure you check the Automatic time sync options.

If you do not have that option, consider getting a tool that syncronizes your clock in real time with time servers. Just make sure it's not from some shady software company.

Scorpion said:
We are going along two different paths here, you are talking about googles internet time servers but that is not used or accurate enough for the international system of units used in science, specifically physics. Forget it I am sure you want to as do I. I am about as interested in hearing about google servers as you are in hearing about oscillations of a cesium-133 isotope. On a completely different note, I like your sig.

I thought all Stratum 0 time server were atomic clocks based on cesium-133. Am I mistaking?

Mrproper yes stratum 0 clients are cesium clocks, I am not going to go into my drawn out reply it is semantics in the end.

Last edited:
R4tt3xx said:
...mining as a ghost.

Sorry if this is off-topic, but how on earth do you become a ghost? I thought that feature had been long replaced... :confused:

yeah it is long gone, don't know what exactly he means but this topic has been off topic from the get go. I am going back to delete my replies. I Don't know why I open my mouth sometimes.

R4tt3xx said:
someone please tell me why the ingame time and out of game time does not match. The times are different and have a big impact on the research that I am conducting. I do not aprove of any game designer fudging with time just to protect their easily breakable system.

Clock time, as someone pointed out is abstract. The only time that matters in PE is the time shown on the PE clock. how that differs to "real" time is irrelevent to anything in the game, since everything in game observes that clock.

Back