Gold Card Reader - Maintnance

Ido

Stalker
Society
Planet Express
Ido Starlit Sunrider
Hi all

I have had my Gold card for over 2 years now ... and today i woke up to realize it will not display the code numbers or even error messages ...

Diagnosis: dead battery ...
Solution: Replace battery ...

So i head out to my tool box and the smallest driver i have wasnt able to fit the screw... the best solution is to head for a clock maker place because they work with small screws all the time ...

After finding one and having him help me unscrew the box we realized he dosent have the batteries in question ... they are super flat 3V batteries ... and there are 2 of them ... i found those in another clock makers shop and paid ....

... 40 USD ...

... for 2 batteries -_-'' (might be because i live in denmark but ffs the whole device costs 10$ from the TT i think) in any case after replacing them and screwing back together the reader it works like a charm.. didnt want to wait for MA to send me a new reader which would take days prolly so I accepted the additional cost...

My advice to all ... DONT leave your card in the reader over night...
and if you own one for around 2 years buy a new one from the TT before you batteries die like mine ... I wish i had one spare this morning :)

Best Regards
Ido Sunrider

I left my card in the reader just the other night, I was surprised that the reader didn't power itself off after awhile.

Luckily I didn't have to replace the batteries, but I'm sure that they took a hit.

i dont think the display itself takes alot of bateries.. its everytime it reads the chip an calculates the number that drains them.. the display is a "whip" that only takes little bateries on the switch from 0 to 1 (its not glowing or anything like that)

Or to learn from your experience, buy a really small screwdriver and the batteries in advance. :) I don't think the batteries are that expensive, he pro'ly just charged you for the "labor".

Thanks for the information thou, I just today received and activated my GC.

Do you know what's the model code of the batteries? I know batteries have these naming systems and it would help us who are interested in buying them to get the right ones.

lol .. mine went dead 2 days ago ..

i've been on it for 40minutes trying to generate a code. Suddenly it worked. One code .. two codes .. then stone dead again.. I had the same problem 6 months ago, but then it started working again, like a charm, until 2 days ago.

Now i filled a support case to MA about it. I never left the card i the reader for more then a few seconds so the batteries should last way more then 2 years if you handle the device with care.

But maybe they use low budget batteries, then they for sure will drain in 2 years.

But now i'm stuck .. :( & cannot log on .. waiting for new reader from MA ..

I don't think the reader is bound to the card, so maybe i head over to a friend of mine IRL and use his reader for generating some codes.. so i can play ..

But as Ido says, i for sure will give the battery replacement a try (as soon as i can access the nessesary tool, damn those screws are small)

Good to know ;) surprised that your batteries are out after 2 years though... anyone else been having the GC reader for longer ?

Last edited:
Batteries cost 0.5$ a piece here, in a second and a half world country....

Seriously, you couldn't go to a proffesional store? Or a gas station? Or a mall/supermarket? You can even buy smaller size batteries and put some filler. Or recharge the old ones for a few seconds (just enough to see if they will still work, while not blowing them up).

Oh well, live and learn...

Send a support to MA that your Cardreader stopped working and they'll send you a new one within the week free of charge ... At least it worked out that way for me.

Good to know ;) surprised that your batteries are out after 2 years though... anyone else been having the GC reader for longer ?

Got my reader November(ish) 2005 and still going stong. Beginning to show more Error72 messages, but thats probably nothing to do with the batteries.

Kind of tempted to dig out a suitable old AC - DC transformer and convert the reader to run off mains electricity. Pretty sure I've got something that converts 240V to something around 3V. Don't need to worry about batteries ever again. I mean whats the worst that could happen?

hehe, a modified GC reader TT+10K anyone? :silly2:

Or to learn from your experience, buy a really small screwdriver and the batteries in advance. :) I don't think the batteries are that expensive, he pro'ly just charged you for the "labor".

Thanks for the information thou, I just today received and activated my GC.

Do you know what's the model code of the batteries? I know batteries have these naming systems and it would help us who are interested in buying them to get the right ones.

I bought batteries and replaced them myself ... price on 1 battery was 20$ around 80 DKK (Danish Kroner) ... it was insanely flat so i guess its just not a common battery ...

Labor was free just 4 screws ... the guy was nice ... the other clock maker wanted 30$ for doing the 4 screws .. :p i went to the other one and he was nice enough to do it free of charge lol...

Still i think it would be cheaper to buy a spare reader for 10$ before the batteries die out ... i'll buy a new one in 2 years just in case ;)

Ido

Guess i was ripped of for battery prices...

But was desperate to play lol :D

u got robbed ido :/

i have not had this problem yet but to help ppl that do have this problem i did some exprermenting to find cheapest solution the screw driver you get in a glasses repair kit works depending on the kit you have $3 for the kit and ppl who wear glass's most likely have a kit already and the batteries here in PA are $1.56 per battery at walgreens hope this helps

For those who live in expensive countries.... EBAY!

You can get 10 batteries from Hong Kong to anywhere in the world for £2.30 (thats about $4.54) including the postage.

Buy a pack and split with your society buddies - thats 5 gold cards covered for less than 91 cents each...

Alternatively I strongly suggest making an offer on Arokh Mod Imp battery replacement option. It does offer better eco!

Mine stops working quite often, at least twice a week, just utterly dead :eek:

Ido, you should have just whacked it against the desk!

Works every time for me! :D

CR2016 batteries are commonly used in car alarm remotes.
Off the top of my head I can't remember the Vauxhall/Opel part number, but I do know I keep them in stock.
I also know many other makes of cars use them too.
Jaguar, Volvo, Saab, Rover, Alfa Romeo, BMW & Seat to mention a few.

Many sellers on ebay will sell 4 of them for UK£3.80 + shipping.
So if you need two in a hurry, visit your local franchised car dealer. As the remotes are often held together with very small screws too, they will probably have a screw-driver that will fit as well.

Hehe yep yep ... waked up and wanted to play ... couldnt wait to find the right gear and search through th ecity looking for batteries ...

bought first ones i found :D was happy they even had them lol

Thats how resselers earn their ped ... find people who are in a hurry and dont have the time to look for a better offer (EU or RL its same thing)

Anywayz ...

BE PREPARED get a second card reader or replacement parts before you wake up and find out you need em :D

Ido

When you live in Denmark I recommend Biltema for a low price.

Art.nr: 38-073 - Lithiumbatterier 3 V [CR2016] 24,90 kr

If it was up to me, i would not even pay a penny for a new GC reader. I would ask MA for a new one like many have done.

And to all those who said they are getting error 72 quite often, ask for a new one from MA before it dies on you...

But you most certainly overpaid Ido...

HP uses a lot of this batteries in its notebooks..glad i have a lot of them..changed them for the 2nd time last week :D

for everyone`s info who wants to buy them in advance:

You need 2x CR2016 batteries
Cool. Thanks for the part numbers!

That sucks Ido glad its fixed.

If it was up to me, i would not even pay a penny for a new GC reader. I would ask MA for a new one like many have done.

And to all those who said they are getting error 72 quite often, ask for a new one from MA before it dies on you...

But you most certainly overpaid Ido...

Would love to have MA just send me a new one ... unfortunatly my addiction is too strong ... need too play neeeeed to p l A Y !!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I left my card in my reader over night once, was in there for probably 12-18 hours or something. It's still working though, hopefully the main powerdrain are from when it generates the number like someone said earlier.

Send a support to MA that your Cardreader stopped working and they'll send you a new one within the week free of charge ... At least it worked out that way for me.

As far as i know you are entitled to a replacement once every year.

As far as i know you are entitled to a replacement once every year.

Didnt know ... i just wrote to MA Support to ask them about this

Back