High: gets water reflections, but loses quality elsewhere:

15393-floating-high.jpg

Very High: more detail than High

15394-floating-very-high.jpg

Great Comparison +rep

Interesting to see how different the settings are

I cant login yet so to see these pis is really exiting for me lol

+rep :)

is it just me, or is the colour, particularly of the rock cliff, best in Medium. in high/vhigh its all hazy and too bright

The two or three times ive managed to log in have been similar, higher settings seem to create haze or fog.

Im not complaining however, i just wish i could actually log in..

is it just me, or is the colour, particularly of the rock cliff, best in Medium. in high/vhigh its all hazy and too bright

Yes - I was disappointed when I first logged in with Very High settings, but going onto Medium gives me a much better general experience. Switching into High+ gets me special stuff (like the water reflections), but that's not worth staying on High+ permanently.

Anyway I can't - I can cope with High+ for still shots, but can only move around comfortably in Medium.

I'm assuming that better graphic cards will get very different results (I got mine about three years ago).

And thanks for the +rep from a couple of you - much appreciated.

That's realistic. The atmosphere scatters light when you view things over long distances, washing out their colour and making them whiter, especially on a warm day. Atmospheric occlusion or whatever that option is called is disabled in Medium. It's your preference, of course, but I like it.

I just wish it wouldn't crash as soon as I successfully login :p

Atmospheric occlusion or whatever that option is called is disabled in Medium.

ah.. good, know what to tweak now. i dont think its more realisitc as its over done, especially the shadowed areas of rock where you'd expect more contrast. its like viewing through a soft focus lens. theres alot of this over cooking, in bright/high sunlight the shaded side of armour is practically black.

That's realistic. The atmosphere scatters light when you view things over long distances, washing out their colour and making them whiter, especially on a warm day. Atmospheric occlusion or whatever that option is called is disabled in Medium. It's your preference, of course, but I like it.

This is a bit of a Pre-Raphaelite thing [or, in this case, pre-Leonardo!] - topical as they are dramatised on UK TV at the moment.

Reality with distance haze & perspective, or excitement with colour & detail?

In the example below I much prefer the Very High setting - with the back mountain blazed out, the gold pouring off the right trainer (Adidas or Nike?), and the close landscape detail.

15408-texture-distance.jpg

In the example below I much prefer the Very High setting

i hope you are being sarcastic, this is exactly what i mean about over-cooked. theres nothing realisitc about glowing backgrounds. i have a glowing aura off my armour at times/angles in brightest light.

Yes - I was disappointed when I first logged in with Very High settings, but going onto Medium gives me a much better general experience. Switching into High+ gets me special stuff (like the water reflections), but that's not worth staying on High+ permanently.

You could always set the General Graphics Quality to Medium and then tweak around in the Advanced Settings, like putting Water Quality or Shadows to High.

Iver never liked the overly bright graphics in newer games either. Duno what they are going for, but a lot of times its too much.

Yes sometimes in real life you can get massive sun reflections off of objects, but just as often in real life you don't. Its annoying in real life when you get those glares in your eyes, video games shouldn't replicate annoyance.

The overuse of fog on high settings is also annoying in games. Sure you want a swamp foggy, but not your average open area.

A game shouldnt look like every area is covered in smog, and some games look like that, There is a big more fog then i would like on the horizon in vu 10, but its not as bad as ive seen in some games.

Back