Health & Game Security - Vote

Should MA warn of possible risks (as those that I described)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MadMikeHoare

Old Alpha
Society
Freelancing since 2007
Mike MadMike Hoare
Playing EU is a good thing to many of us. Meeting new people, making new friends and all that is probably pretty much fun to most of us.

What I sort of miss, is the fact that because of the addictive gameplay of EU, people tend to sit in front of their computer for hours without making a break.

This CAN (not a must) cause

- Photosensibility and
- RSI Repetitive Stress/Strain Injury

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repetitive_strain_injury

A repetitive strain injury (RSI), also called cumulative trauma disorder (CTD), occupational overuse syndrome, or work related upper limb disorder (WRULD), is any of a loose group of conditions resulting from overuse of a tool, such as a computer keyboard or musical instrument or other activity that requires repeated movements. It is a syndrome that affects muscles, tendons and nerves in the hands, arms and upper back. The medically accepted condition in which it occurs is when muscles in these areas are kept tense for very long periods of time, due to poor posture and/or repetitive motions.

It is most common among assembly line workers, computer workers, store checkout clerks, and professional musicians. Good posture, ergonomics and limiting time in stressful working conditions can help prevent or halt the progress of the disorder. Stretches, strengthening exercises, and biofeedback training to reduce neck and shoulder muscle tension can help heal existing disorders.

Even though we are not yet in the USA, where people seem to put their baby or gas-lighter in the microwave because nobody warned them that this can cause serious problems :) , I think EU is a "game" where people tend to sit in front of their computer for hours and hours without making a break and MindArk should at least warn people that even the game and the activity is so addictive, the player should understand the risks of excessive playing.

True, other games do not warn their users either, but maybe MA want's to be a little different and more outstanding than "the others"?

I make this a poll because I think people should decide if such a warning should be found somewhere on the MindArk Website since the users are those that can get damages from excessive playing.

If MindArk really set up such a warning is a good question, they would admit that their game (hey...ja I know, whatever you call it, it's still a game) "can" cause damages to your health. On the other side, I expect them to admit, that gaming CAN cause damages.

Anyways, I see this poll as I see crafting....it's always worth a try.

What do you think?

Cheers
Mike

After an hour ingame chat should suggest you'd take a break.
Thats a minimum to be honest, doesn't harm anyone or anything.

I doubt it'll happen but its a valid point..... some games etc have started putting warnings on the packaging about overuse, but so far have only seen such remarks on Console gaming?

The thing about being a pc is that the same problem exists in a lot of ppl's day to day jobs.... More and more ppl are using computers all day (which is what? 8 hours a day... if theyre lucky XD) and those ppl will probably only have time for like 5 hours or so on average for gaming....

The problems exist but it is very user interpreted as to whether the risks there are for "you" I dont craft.... and alternate between hands or w/e if hunting and never keep my arms etc rested the same way. Imo ppl should lok after themselves! its noone else's responsibilty to baby sit every single person on this earth.

On that same note.... I think it spells out how simple the world has become as (due to legal claims) they even tell you that a cup of tea from mcdonalds is hot...... I mean come on.... If you can't work out a hot drink may be hot, you deserve to be locked in a padded room lol.

Rip

Extracted from the Merry Mayhem event:

Rules
For health reasons, participants in the Merry Mayhem event may only spend a maximum of six hours logged onto Entropia Universe during every 24 hour period for the duration of the event. The 24 hour periods start from Friday Dec. 21 18:00 UTC. Participants that exceed this limit will be disqualified. It is up to participants to keep track of their time online. We also recommend that participants do not play for six hours straight, but take regular breaks with physical exercise or activity, food and refreshments during each session.

True, other games do not warn their users either, but maybe MA want's to be a little different and more outstanding than "the others"?

Not totally true!

Have read some warnings about the risk of playing 3d shooters at to big screens at several games.

Playing 3d shooters at to big screens for many hours/day may cause epilepsy.

Rules
For health reasons, participants in the Merry Mayhem event may only spend a maximum of six hours logged onto Entropia Universe during every 24 hour period for the duration of the event. The 24 hour periods start from Friday Dec. 21 18:00 UTC. Participants that exceed this limit will be disqualified. It is up to participants to keep track of their time online. We also recommend that participants do not play for six hours straight, but take regular breaks with physical exercise or activity, food and refreshments during each session.

nice they warn during long time events and even disqualify users if they break the "health rule".

some korean MMORPGS (or at least the english versions of them) warn you from the login-screen..

Screw the warning about it, MA needs to design their way out of it... I've been here 5 years and yes my arms, wrist, and shoulders ache on a daily basis. A minor amount of automation could go a long way, for instance, MM owners have to click more than once per second to hunt something. Ppl that own this gun don't hunt snables they hunt crap like aurli that requires many shots before it's dead. How about a setting that I can click once and it shoots 5 times? Make it a hotkeyable action, in fact make another that shoots 10 times on a click... I'll hotkey the 10 shot, 5 shot, and 1 shot keys together and use them in the appropriate order for what I'm hunting. It gets my hands off the mouse and lets me use the keyboard maybe even multiple places on the keyboard with that key combo in place so i'm not reaching for the same spot all the time.

On that same note how about a hotkey that operates a crafting machine in the same fashion?

I say any intensive mouse clicking action should have some solution to reduce the number of clicks required by the participant. If MA aren't consumer oriented enough to put this system in place people will be forced to break the EULA rules and use macro programs. Not that I have a problem with that but it's currently a catch 22, you're not allowed to use those programs per MA but the ppl at MA seem unconcerned about the health affects of playing EU.

This is an old argument and it's total horseshit that MA is let it go so long. EVERYONE I know with fast firing weapons who is even semi uber says they have some form of RSI. It doesn't have to be this way.

nice they warn during long time events and even disqualify users if they break the "health rule".

and that for a very good reason !

this mayhem event ran a whole week, and some weeks earlyer a man from a far east country died at the attempt to win such an event.

As soon this was mentioned to MA they introduced this rule as we all and MA don´t want such a bad publicity due to the stupidness of one person !

one problem of warning is it may be used as an admission of liability, that there is a problem that needs to be resolved.

interestingly the Chinese have quite progressive legislation on this issue, following several high profile deaths (and probably ideological issues that its not very productive). they require games to prevent or activly discourage players staying logged on for more than a couple of hours. a certain Well knOWn game changed its system so your avatar requires rest breaks after certain time. I have often wondered if there is anything similar in EU as its often felt that several 1-2 hour sessions give better skills than one of several hours.

For pure health reasons I get up from the computer once every hour for a few minutes.
We don´t smoke indoors in my appartment so I go to the balcony for a cigarette :)

For pure health reasons I get up from the computer once every hour for a few minutes.
We don´t smoke indoors in my appartment so I go to the balcony for a cigarette :)

Cigarettes can be good for your health! :rolleyes:
I'm gonna be crucified for this joke...

During the last Christmas 'Merry Mayhem' event I spent 5 hours & 59 minutes x 11 days to compete.... I did not suffer any short term or long term effects from that.

I play in this universe to some extent every day... one day maybe only 10 mins to check the auction, then an 8 hour marathon on the weekend.... either way my body knows when I need to go to the toilet, eat, drink, or whatever...

If people are not in touch with themselves or their body or their family needs then they should not be blaming EU for their problem(s)... Does TV give a warning to its viewers that sitting there watching it for 12 hours a day will turn them into couch potatoes?

Two words that is sadly lacking and rarely used these days are 'personal responsibility"...

IMHO your poll caters only to the people who have either no 'self control' or no 'personal responsibility'

Cheers, Nobleone :beerchug:

I quit smoking and now I play EU constantly to distract myself from the cravings. OMG!!!!!! I'M SCREWWWEEEDDD!!!!!!!! :silly2:

Rules

Yes man but how much does we SCREAMED to have that applied ?? It was a hard time.

It natuaral that the game provider warn ppl of those type of injurys.

Screw the warning about it, MA needs to design their way out of it... I've been here 5 years and yes my arms, wrist, and shoulders ache on a daily basis. A minor amount of automation could go a long way, for instance, MM owners have to click more than once per second to hunt something. Ppl that own this gun don't hunt snables they hunt crap like aurli that requires many shots before it's dead. How about a setting that I can click once and it shoots 5 times? Make it a hotkeyable action, in fact make another that shoots 10 times on a click... I'll hotkey the 10 shot, 5 shot, and 1 shot keys together and use them in the appropriate order for what I'm hunting. It gets my hands off the mouse and lets me use the keyboard maybe even multiple places on the keyboard with that key combo in place so i'm not reaching for the same spot all the time.

On that same note how about a hotkey that operates a crafting machine in the same fashion?

I say any intensive mouse clicking action should have some solution to reduce the number of clicks required by the participant. If MA aren't consumer oriented enough to put this system in place people will be forced to break the EULA rules and use macro programs. Not that I have a problem with that but it's currently a catch 22, you're not allowed to use those programs per MA but the ppl at MA seem unconcerned about the health affects of playing EU.

This is an old argument and it's total horseshit that MA is let it go so long. EVERYONE I know with fast firing weapons who is even semi uber says they have some form of RSI. It doesn't have to be this way.

Think it'd be better just to have a "start - Stop" key lol... click to start the "action" and again to stop.

Rip

Anyone who is stupid enough to sit for six hours at the screen without taking a break is unlikely to be influenced by any warning message which they have automatically clicked past when logging on. The ONLY reason for those sorts of messages is for the game manufacturer to legally resolve themselves of responsibility. The very people it affects most ignore these messages completely.

Also post possible health dangers from forum whoring ;)

The next idea would be that MA should implement an automatic mechanism to power down the user's PC after he/she was in-game for let's say six hours. Useful? No.

One of the things the separates human beings from other living species is the fact that we can make decisions on our free will. That can be used to avoid situations which can do harm to us (e.g. don't run close to a tiger and yelling "hello! I'm here!!!"). Also note that we're all different and something that harms person #1 doesn't necessarily have to harm person #2 or it takes longer to harm person #2. A simple example is that some people cannot consume dairy products because of an issue with lactose (no idea how to explain that in english) and others can drink milk and eat chocolate like mad (I'd fall into that category :)). Are dairy products forbidden? No.

It's very important to learn to listen to your body. The body isn't stupid and if something hurts then most of the time it does that because something's wrong. And if you notice that doing something always leads to the same pain then it may be a good idea to not do it.

In other words if your back starts to hurt or your hands get numb maybe it's time to take break. Also you should consider to take breaks even though nothing is hurting yet.

And if you really need to smoke and go outside remember that smoke causes cancer and if you walk outside into a snowstorm and you only wear your T-shirt that can kill you, too. No, snowstorms aren't forbidden neither.

Yes man but how much does we SCREAMED to have that applied ?? It was a hard time.

It natuaral that the game provider warn ppl of those type of injurys.

Yeah I why did we scream?
Not because its wrong to take care about some stupid people!

Because mid level avatars might have had a chance going 24/7 for 11 days. Only possible doing accountsharing with some trusted RL friends, but this rule killed this option.

With this rule it was 100% sure, someone using a ModMerc would win, and take a look at the result: MM won!

Hmmm, my concern about health / EU is not much related to mouse or keyboard usage... At work I also click the whole day and my fingers are fine.

My true concern is about addiction, psychologic dependance etc...

But I doubt we'll ever see:
Welcome to the Entropia Universe.
This week you played 768 hours.
Call 042-0800-45-45-45 for free and a doctor will help you.

:D

Last edited:
Back