I Am New!!

Welcome to Calypso!

May your fortunes be many and your experience be grand...

When you begin using weapons and mining tools, make sure you learn about Skill Increase Bonus and the differences between Limited and Unlimited items and armor. This will be a helpful step in the direction of maximum enjoyment of your deposits!

Welcome :)

You display the patience it requires to stick to this game, good luck :D

:yay:
Welcome to Planet Calypso, guys! =)
:yay:
Good on ya Marco

Gee.. I didn't get the CEO welcoming me 4 1/2 years ago. I'd say it's progress.:D
:grouphug:

Why do you two sound like an "infomercial"? This seems very scripted to me.
:scratch2:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Also a welcome from the Aussie "The mental Kangaroos"

Feel free to pm me if you want any advice or a tp run anytime, or get out of a tight spot. Always glad to help out

I am on most nights eastern standard time.

Jung

Welcome to Calypso, lots of good advice given already. I just want to say that you should take your time , explore the planet, meet some people and have fun.

Now I will go back to patiently waiting for my personal welcome message from Marco... ;)

Cheers :beerchug:

Welcome !

pliz, feel free to PM your ingame names ! you DO sound very srcipted but I want to believe both of you exist, and I'm ready to help you like I was help when i arrived here. RL gave me some free time and I'm now more active than ever, and you guys sound like the disciples everyone would like to have :wtg:

so cya in game hopefully

Thanks for all the welcomes, but going to be busy with family showing up and going out of town next week for a bit.

No i am not scripted lol or a cheerleader. I have played Asherion's Call, my first mmo and best mmo i ever played to this day this game with the seamless world and the huge landmass and if you see it you can get there thing and in some ways EU reminds me of that. Then i played WoW, Guild wars, Eve online still playing eve online a bit but my sub in there is good through december so i can slack and take a break for a bit. Played requieum bloodymare, and atlantica online in the f2p realm. and have sampled other various p2p and f2p mmos including age of conan, warhammer online, and various other freebies that i never played enough to say i really played them.

This game has its warts no doubt the freebie stuff being broken, then there is the massively annoying and constant lag since the last update, mobs occasionally falling into the ground where you cannot attack them but they can attack you, the crazy mob aggro bug where you aggro a mob then suddenly it goes tearing off after someone on the edge of your radar on a whim.

But having played a bunch of mmos even the f2p ones i give people props that have the patience to play them totally free or even restricting yourselves to a strict budget cause i know people that drop way more on f2p games between buying all the cash shop stuffs to give them every advantage, subbing f2p games to get the most xp and drops and some of them even buying gold on top of it all so i know some people must blow at lest 40 to 60 bucks many months in a row on f2p games to get the most uber character and the most uber gear.where if they played p2p games they would spend a lot less.

Not that EU is immune from that mentality and i am sure some people pay insane amounts of money to get uber, but there are paths with enough patience and work to make money without depositing (tho the official ones are all broken atm), then you hear the occasional story of some people that must luck out get a really cool society or mentor that hooks them up without depositing a cent.

And my full name in game is Cerebus Sly Alteri, do not ask about the sly when it asked for a nickname Aardvark seemed a tad too long and sly easy for people to recall. But i probably will not be on much today maybe this evening some if i get time.

I think you are taking the fact that new guys turn up filling the n00bs forum with very positive posts and get greetings from the CEO as a conspiracy of some kind?
I have no problem with new people posting positive things on here. I have no problem with anybody greeting them, including the CEO.

Go watch a few infomercials and listen to the way things are phrased. Listen to the cadence of the words and the way the actors just "happen" to slip advertising slogans and information into "normal" conversation. Then come back and read the first couple of posts by Meager and CerebusAlteri and look at the way things are phrased. Look at the cadence of the words and the way they just "happen" to slip advertising slogans and information into "normal" posts.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I've seen too many infomercials. Maybe I think that almost everyone has their own style of writing and it seems kind of "fishy" to me that 2 people who have never posted before this thread just happen to have writing styles that "sound" so alike and just happen to be giving the same message...Just like an infomercial.

I have no problem with new people posting positive things on here. I have no problem with anybody greeting them, including the CEO.

Go watch a few infomercials and listen to the way things are phrased. Listen to the cadence of the words and the way the actors just "happen" to slip advertising slogans and information into "normal" conversation. Then come back and read the first couple of posts by Meager and CerebusAlteri and look at the way things are phrased. Look at the cadence of the words and the way they just "happen" to slip advertising slogans and information into "normal" posts.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I've seen too many infomercials. Maybe I think that almost everyone has their own style of writing and it seems kind of "fishy" to me that 2 people who have never posted before this thread just happen to have writing styles that "sound" so alike and just happen to be giving the same message...Just like an infomercial.

:eyecrazy: you are wrong. no conspiracies what ad slogans am i throwing around exactly? and why would anyone in their right mind watch an infomercial while i am asking questions, you would have to tie me up tape my eyes open and put a gun to my head to watch an infomercial lol.

Well first of all i am very impressed that the CEO posted here! WOWEE WOW WOW! so to that i must say thanks!

But i do have some rather sad news on my end, none of my laptops are powerful enough to run this game. Good news is is that i down loaded and updated the game so when i do buy a new laptop i will have the files ready to go! Or at least the 4 gig client.

I am pretty bumed out about it, i was soooo excited to take part in what seems to me to be one of the most coolest gaming ideas. Too bad i just got into it now and not a few years ago....prob coulda ran the game then.

Well it will take me a few months or more to save for the laptop. I found a great one on Newegg for 799.00. Bad ass ATI gfx card 4 gigs of ram.

The other positive note is that i can return to these forums, post and read all the great things the comunity have put up here.

Thanks you guys for being awsome!

Well first of all i am very impressed that the CEO posted here! WOWEE WOW WOW! so to that i must say thanks!

But i do have some rather sad news on my end, none of my laptops are powerful enough to run this game. Good news is is that i down loaded and updated the game so when i do buy a new laptop i will have the files ready to go! Or at least the 4 gig client.

I am pretty bumed out about it, i was soooo excited to take part in what seems to me to be one of the most coolest gaming ideas. Too bad i just got into it now and not a few years ago....prob coulda ran the game then.

Well it will take me a few months or more to save for the laptop. I found a great one on Newegg for 799.00. Bad ass ATI gfx card 4 gigs of ram.

The other positive note is that i can return to these forums, post and read all the great things the comunity have put up here.

Thanks you guys for being awsome!

Which laptop are you looking at? I happen to know quite a bit about high-performance laptops and an make sure it is a good bang-for-your-buck system.

Which laptop are you looking at? I happen to know quite a bit about high-performance laptops and an make sure it is a good bang-for-your-buck system.

It is this one: MSI GT735-024US AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-82(2.20GHz) 17.0" Wide SXGA+ 4GB Memory 320GB HDD DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon ... - Retail

:)

Why do you two sound like an "infomercial"? This seems very scripted to me.
:scratch2:

Ummm i know i am not scripted, this is the way i write, i try to be a positive person thats all.

And i hate infomercials! :mad:

Sorry about the hardware issues, Meager--I feel your pain. I'm afraid this experience will be all-too-common for people investigating Entropia for at least a year or two.

I'd be really interested in any new players who would keep a log of their VU10 experiences. How does it go for you over time? What do you like about the game? What is frustrating? It's such a difference experience atm w/o sweating, etc. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing for new players.

Anyway, welcome to both of you--I hope you have great success in our virtual world.

Are you set on MSI as the brand? Also - what is your price range for a laptop?

The GT735 isn't a bad machine and should handle medium settings, but it has a previous generation GPU and AMD laptop processors have very little cache compared to Intel chips. MMOs require more processor power than most other genres (Strategy games being the exception), mainly due to handling so many custom clients at once. My current laptop can run Crysis on near max settings at a playble frame rate, but I can't even max half of the settings in this game without horrible system lag.

If you could tell me the following things, it would be a great help:

Price range?
Any brands you prefer or dislike?
New machines only, or are second-hand newish machines ok?

Are you set on MSI as the brand? Also - what is your price range for a laptop?

The GT735 isn't a bad machine and should handle medium settings, but it has a previous generation GPU and AMD laptop processors have very little cache compared to Intel chips. MMOs require more processor power than most other genres (Strategy games being the exception), mainly due to handling so many custom clients at once. My current laptop can run Crysis on near max settings at a playble frame rate, but I can't even max half of the settings in this game without horrible system lag.

If you could tell me the following things, it would be a great help:

Price range?
Any brands you prefer or dislike?
New machines only, or are second-hand newish machines ok?

My price range would be from 700 to a 1000. I really like HP products,DELL,ACER. Those are a for sure for me because i have owned or worked witn/on these models.
If its second hand thats cool too! I am not picky! :silly2:

Welcome to Entropia!

All i am saying is that it's not that bad in my opinion! Cheer up! Enjoy the fact that this community seems very helpful and kind! :)

This is the best community you will ever find for any game ever. If you have any questions or problems, this is the place to go.

If you do happen to deposit and start playing for real, I wish you luck. Make sure to post your first global / HOF in the Hall of Fame section of the forums for all to see :D

Good luck!

-Piano

The right starting attitude!

I started about 4 years ago with the similar impressions... looking for fun, might deposit a bit here and there to enhance the experience and I am still a casual player (an old-noob) enjoying the game.

Have fun!

My price range would be from 700 to a 1000. I really like HP products,DELL,ACER. Those are a for sure for me because i have owned or worked witn/on these models.
If its second hand thats cool too! I am not picky! :silly2:

Ok, so you are open to other products, that is good.

Do you have a Best Buy store anywhere near you? My computer is an ASUS G50Vt-X2, which runs EU/PC on a mix of High and Very High settings. Best Buy has the next generation of my computer - it has near identical specs with the exception of the GPU, which is stronger. The model is the G51Vx-RX05, it is $1050.

If you are willing to go used, I would strongly recommend either an ASUS G50Vt (any within that series, but be sure it is the "Vt" and not the "V") or a Gateway p7805u FX. Both can be found on eBay or on the "For Sale" forums of www.notebookreview.com, which is where I got mine. The NBR forum is a good community for those wanting to learn more about laptops of all degrees - from netbooks to full gaming setups.

If you go for a G50Vt-X1, you can probably get a refurb on eBay for about $750 with a 9800M GS GPU, 2.0 GHz CPU with factory overclocking sofware, a 7200 RPM hard drive, and 4 GB of RAM. I can tell you, based on my experience and that of two close friends of mine, that the ASUS laptops are very durable and can take some punishment. I have MANY pets, as my girlfriend and I do animal rescue. I've had drinks spilled on my laptop, seen a large dog step on my buddy Jared's G50Vt, and seen my friend Judd drop his G51Vx down the stairs of his house - all three are still working perfectly.

Here is a video of an idiot trying to intentionally damage his to be able to replace it with the accidental damage warranty. His weapon: a 20 oz spray bottle of water.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXB5jlODJSs[/YOUTUBE]

He did finally destroy it - three videos later. He opened it up with it running and sprayed water directly on the MoBo to cause a short.

Glad to help, I hope that whatever laptop you get, you enjoy. Things to look for:

Dual or Quad Core CPU with at least 3MB Cache, higher being better.
4+ GB of RAM
7200+ RPM Hard Drive
a mobile GPU that it at least the equivilent of an 8800M GT for high graphics settings. You can compare mobile GPUs at http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php - just make sure you are selecting the MOBILE GPU (donoted by a "M" or "Go" for nVidia cards). For laptops, I'm most impressed with the following current GPUs:

8800M GT or GTX (older, but still powerful for a mobile GPU)
9800M series (GS, GTS, GT, and GTX are still sold in some new laptops, but are the last generation's nVidia card)
GT 260M and 280M (current top-end nVidia mobile GPUs, easily eclipse the 9800M series)
HD4850 or HD4870 (ATI competition for the 260M and 280M, respectively)

Back