I sold my CLD's

TheGreesh

Old
Society
Calypso Rescue Team
Gordarion TheGreesh Elemath
Firstly I want to say I love this universe and I will always call Calypso home.

I have held a decent number of CLD's since December last year. I based this initial investment decision on a number of factors.

1. Expected ROI was high 27-30%
2. Protected Capital during sell off phase.
3. Influx of cash used to sure up the Business and bring an influx of growth in player base.

I recognize that currently the sell off is placing a ceiling on the value of CLD's and there is short term capital growth potential but I have a number of concerns.

1. The expected ROI advertised on the deeds themselves is dropping not increasing indicating gross revenue contraction (the opposite of growth)
2. The deeds were changed from indicating ownership to a share of revenue
3. The details for the land and political system have yet to be made clear.
4. Competition is coming at calypso from inside outside the universe. I see Arkadia and Cyrene as huge competitors to Calypso revenue sources and new player growth. I also see a trend in gaming for "money is power" gaming models like in Diablo 3 taking shape. While not true RCE this may have a significant impact on growth potential for the universe and Calypso in particular.
5. Having seen the quality of the work coming out of new planet partners, Calypso's only competitive advantage is having the most established economy. This won't be enough, the Calypso team needs to innovate and differentiate to retain and grow it's revenue base.

I will continue to watch the CLD ROI% and news from the Calypso team but I have no desire to time the market. I have exiting to the sidelines and will await the events in May/June to gauge the quality of CLD's as part of my investment portfolio.

How exactly were they changed? What was the original info?

How exactly were they changed? What was the original info?

The originally referred to "owner" of the deed, then changed to "holder" of the deed. However they never implied ownership of Planet Calypso.

I have to agree, I am only holding onto to 9CLDs in hope the Calypso team actually starts advertising soon. Arkadia is growing rapidly due to targetted advertising in Asia and dedicated new player access to the planet. The Arkadian Dev team is dedicated to keeping their products bug free. They acknowledge and advise on bug fixe as they happen. Every time we talk to Cyrus their community manager, he fixes things! Even Dave Dobson the CEO talks to the player base on a weekly basis.
Cyrene is looking like a huge product also with good communication from the Dev team with the potential player base. Calypso is gonna fail unless they make big changes with the secrecy and poor communication and huge list of unresolved bugs! They won't be able to compete against Arkadia and Cyrene who have solid development teams with customer focus.

I expect the exodus from Calypso to Cyrene to be quite large with Motherships and privateers evacuating players off Calypso to Cyrene!

The future is interesting!

1. The expected ROI advertised on the deeds themselves is dropping not increasing indicating gross revenue contraction (the opposite of growth)
Not necessarily. For all we know, the income from the last few weeks may be far higher than March results in previous years. There is far too small a sample space to make a call like this, and the average so far is right on the money of the predicted range.

If you think this makes a difference then you've been misunderstanding from the start. To me that's a deliberate correction so as to be sure to not mislead anyone, and credit to MindArk for being careful enough to retain this sort of quality control. If anything, the change shows that they're aware of how things stand legally. If you bought deeds on the understanding that this word meant something, then I'd suggest having another read of the ToU.

This is somehow different from when you bought the deeds? We always knew they were going to take time to work this out.

4. Competition is coming at calypso from inside outside the universe. I see Arkadia and Cyrene as huge competitors to Calypso revenue sources and new player growth. I also see a trend in gaming for "money is power" gaming models like in Diablo 3 taking shape. While not true RCE this may have a significant impact on growth potential for the universe and Calypso in particular.
5. Having seen the quality of the work coming out of new planet partners, Calypso's only competitive advantage is having the most established economy. This won't be enough, the Calypso team needs to innovate and differentiate to retain and grow it's revenue base.

I will continue to watch the CLD ROI% and news from the Calypso team but I have no desire to time the market. I have exiting to the sidelines and will await the events in May/June to gauge the quality of CLD's as part of my investment portfolio.

Don't forget that if Calypso players go to other planets, Calypso still receives income from them. So even if ALL the Calypso players left Calypso and Calypso attracted NO new players, its income would still be good (admittedly not AS good).

EDIT: I should add that Calypso now has a new CEO who presumably has a role dedicated to looking after Calypso. One would think that this would at least have a chance of having a positive effect on things. Call me an optimist if you like, lol...

I expect the exodus from Calypso to Cyrene to be quite large with Motherships and privateers evacuating players off Calypso to Cyrene!

As far as any exodus from Calypso to Cyrene regarding Calypso Land Deeds.....if it is all Calypso born players it doesn't matter where they go. As long as they continue to decay it will keep paying out on the deeds.

Also the majority of the players will just come right back until Cyrene gets MA to finish their systems and work out bugs.:dunce:

Not necessarily. For all we know, the income from the last few weeks may be far higher than March results in previous years. There is far too small a sample space to make a call like this, and the average so far is right on the money of the predicted range.

You miss understand. The deed itself as an annual projection of revenue when you inspect the deed. The figure on it is below the advertised 27-30% and has been dropping.

If you think this makes a difference then you've been misunderstanding from the start. To me that's a deliberate correction so as to be sure to not mislead anyone, and credit to MindArk for being careful enough to retain this sort of quality control. If anything, the change shows that they're aware of how things stand legally. If you bought deeds on the understanding that this word meant something, then I'd suggest having another read of the ToU.
You see it as a clarification I see is as a modification without notification or consultation.

This is somehow different from when you bought the deeds? We always knew they were going to take time to work this out.
4 months on I expect more detail. I am demanding of my investments like that. It will potentially have significant impact on the material value of the shares beyond their ability to produce revenue. when the matter is made clearer I will happily review my position as an investor.

Don't forget that if Calypso players go to other planets, Calypso still receives income from them. So even if ALL the Calypso players left Calypso and Calypso attracted NO new players, its income would still be good (admittedly not AS good).
Don't forget they generate HALF the revenue while on another planet. I imagine a significant % of decay is done by a much smaller % of players. If the top players leave the planet for another planet or the game all together you will see a disproportionate drop in revenue on deeds. I also ask you not to discount the potential for external competition to decimate your investment.

EDIT: I should add that Calypso now has a new CEO who presumably has a role dedicated to looking after Calypso. One would think that this would at least have a chance of having a positive effect on things. Call me an optimist if you like, lol...
Like I said, I love this universe and Calypso is my home. I am heartened by some of the recent decisions but that does not cloud my prudent investment sense. I don't make money in the real world taking poorly calculated risks and I won't loose money in a virtual one by ignoring the rules I invest by.

Calypso was going to be empty when arkadia was released, that did not happen, now its going to be empty when Cyrene goes live, i predict that wont happen. Alot of people will visit Cyrene rigth after launch but most people will go back to calypso again after a while, i cant understand how people can belive that a new planet can attract all old players on launch and keep them.

When it comes to cld´s i predict the revenue will go up when all deeds are sold, right now to many people is putting thier money on the cld´s, thats why all items have fallen in price so much lately also, buy while items are cheap, they will raise in price again :)

Calypso was going to be empty when arkadia was released, that did not happen, now its going to be empty when Cyrene goes live, i predict that wont happen. Alot of people will visit Cyrene rigth after launch but most people will go back to calypso again after a while, i cant understand how people can belive that a new planet can attract all old players on launch and keep them.

When it comes to cld´s i predict the revenue will go up when all deeds are sold, right now to many people is putting thier money on the cld´s, thats why all items have fallen in price so much lately also, buy while items are cheap, they will raise in price again :)

Perfectly valid observations. But it doesnt need to attrack all players just palyers who decay more than twice as much as new players. As I said I will wait for May and June to play out and look at the decision again. Everybody will have their own analysis and predictions.

:)

what about when the annoucement of the "severe snowstorm" comes next week or the week after...

I think people will get excited about this

what about when the annoucement of the "severe snowstorm" comes next week or the week after...
You always so mysterious.... ... .. .

"The deeds were changed from indicating ownership to a share of revenue"

Did MA change the namne from ownership to a share of revenue before the start to sell the deeds or after.:scratch2:

I'd imagine a new event around the time of Cyrene launch, and theres the yearly migration a couple of months after.

Weekly deed payout will fluctuate (it would be odd if it didn't)

MA are probably working on the added benefits of being a citizen this year (voting rights for instance) and ability to claim some land - I presume that'll be on a 3rd continent, but possibly not.

Calypso was going to be empty when arkadia was released, that did not happen, now its going to be empty when Cyrene goes live, i predict that wont happen. Alot of people will visit Cyrene rigth after launch but most people will go back to calypso again after a while,

In a very fast changing world, status quo is not an option! It may prevail a few times..the privilleged my try to protect it by various means.... but regardless, a time will come (probably sooner than you realize), either from within (other planets) or from outside (other mmorpg) that will swept away the old (and with it all the baggages that it holds!)

I love EU, and awaiting for a new begining to unfold :)

Obviously, this is just an info thread... you wanted to inform all of Calypso you sold your CLDs... erm, okay.

While I can't be bothered to look up the original information regarding the sale of CLD's, I distinctly remember that the information given regarding Land Grab/Ownership stated that this would not be until mid 2013... last I checked, we weren't even to mid 2012. Now, while I am neither a cheerleader nor a naysayer about MindArk, I do know that MindArk would NEVER put out details about features that MIGHT be a year or more away. So, the expectation that, 4 months after the start of CLD sales, we would get the details on land ownership is a bit farfetched.

Regarding the ROI listed on the deeds... I have looked at that, and if I am not mistaken, it's changed a few times... could be wrong, but I think I will make a point to look at it weekly, see if it changes based on that week's revenue.

So, you think CLD's are a risk.. okay. However, I would like to point out, if you sold your CLD's at the same price you purchased them for (1k PED) then you have already made a profit. Heck, I know I bought mine the first week, and if I turned around and sold them for a bit less, say 960 ped, I would still be in profit. Seems risky, this profit business.

While I can't be bothered to look up the original information regarding the sale of CLD's, I distinctly remember that the information given regarding Land Grab/Ownership stated that this would not be until mid 2013... last I checked, we weren't even to mid 2012. Now, while I am neither a cheerleader nor a naysayer about MindArk, I do know that MindArk would NEVER put out details about features that MIGHT be a year or more away. So, the expectation that, 4 months after the start of CLD sales, we would get the details on land ownership is a bit farfetched.

yep, in Kims interview he even stated they haven't even begun work on it and has no information how it will work to pass on.

There have been a few people who thought the deeds meant they owned a piece of Calypso. I can only assume the confusion came about because of the possibility of building on the land plots. Not a slight on anyone but I thought it was obvious from day one that they were only for a percentage of revenue and had not shares in MA / Calypso.

Last edited:
... I do know that MindArk would NEVER put out details about features that MIGHT be a year or more away.
LOL. Hope that was sarcasm I detected... because if not, well... Open your eyes a bit. ;)

Lets see where to begin... Vehicles were announced around 2005 I think? Taming's been offline over 2 years now... some beauty stuff is back now, but it's really still a little buggy. Can't even remember how long it was from the time they wanted to implement CE2 until it actually got in game. The lists goes on and on and on and on... If MA really wants to get more people buying CLDs and stuff like it they need to fix their reputation since it really does start to proceed them by about 50 light years.

yep, in Kims interview he even stated they haven't even begun work on it and has no information how it will work to pass on.

There have been a few people who thought the deeds meant they owned a piece of Calypso. I can only assume the confusion came about because of the possibility of building on the land plots. Not a slight on anyone but I thought it was obvious from day one that they were only for a percentage of revenue and had not shares in MA / Calypso.

Right.....

So let`s see now; Calypso was reportedly sold for 6mil $ to SEE Virtual Worlds back in 2011 http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setView/news/gameId/31/showArticle/19414

Deal fell through after Mindark got 1.5mil $ or so from SEE as down payment.

Now MA wants to sell Calypso to the player for (60.000 shares X 1000)= 6mil $ but without actually selling anything but a piece of revenue and we don`t even know for sure that 100% of the revenue is made available to the players.

So what do I take out from the above? MA is trying to sell Calypso to the players without actually selling it, retaining full control(I assume the voting system will be some kinda` joke in terms of real control over company and management).

We don`t even know the distributed peds make up the full 50% revenue Calypso generates. Selling to the players is even sweeter deal because they don`t really sell it but promise you a part of the revenue.

And where will all those 6millions go to? Calypso development or the MA platform? Shareholders will most likely love to see their shares money invested in their planet not in a platform who serves Calypso competitors.

So, Skies Falling or not? Should I start chipping out? Need professional investor advice!

sky is falling for calypso!
unless........................
MA uses it's dynamic loot to drive players out of other planets back to calypso!

sky is falling for calypso!
unless........................
MA uses it's dynamic loot to drive players out of other planets back to calypso!

Just a question which way.. upwards perhaps! :)

Well anyone who was wanted to invest in CLD should have taken the trouble to look up the definition of a deed.

There you would have seen that a document can only be called a deed if it refers to a named area of land, which the CLD clearly do not (yet).

So these were never 'Deeds', and MA should not have named them as such (unlike Mining Deeds, which actually are 'Deeds').

They should perhaps always have been more correctly called 'Revenue Participation Vouchers', with an attached option to purchase a deed later (and I mean purchase).

Whatever they are called, the rights attached have not changed.

Firstly I want to say I love this universe and I will always call Calypso home.

I have held a decent number of CLD's since December last year. I based this initial investment decision on a number of factors.

1. Expected ROI was high 27-30%
2. Protected Capital during sell off phase.
3. Influx of cash used to sure up the Business and bring an influx of growth in player base.

I recognize that currently the sell off is placing a ceiling on the value of CLD's and there is short term capital growth potential but I have a number of concerns.

I will continue to buy deeds as long as the return is over 20% That is awesome return!

I will continue to hold them as long as return is over 10% That is still a great return rate...

Cheers.

:cool:

A few things when people talk about exodus of players to another planet is that always is forgotten.
At first there is 25% of revenue still going to that planet for being registered over it.
At second please remember how it was with twin peaks, it wasnt mindark who made it the central trading hub it were the players and even though later on better locations were created on calypso they were never able to move players from what was broadly accepted as the central point of commerce. The very same happened to calypso auction , if you check these days items on auction that are freshly discovered on other planets you will notice them getting listed first on calypso as players expect to earn a better markup on sales there due to the larger population and all traders checking calypso auction daily.
Assuming one or several new planets would grow a much larger playerbase then calypso this by itself wouldnt change calypso to no longer be the major trading hub for that to happen a new planet would need to become stronger then all the other planets combined to grow a larger auction potential and be accepted as a new hub of trades.
So as long as calypso has people traveling to it from all over the universe and many of them staying there doing some hunting /mining / whatever waiting for auctions to end - calypso will be doing very fine on earning peds.

There once was a young grass hopper. One day the winds were stronger than usual and the storm was heavier than usual. Grass hopper got shaken and legged it out of the grass...

When he was about to leave the grassfield he came across a wise old grass hopper.

Wise grass hopper, "How do you do young padawan?"
Young grass hopper, "Times are hard. The winds crawling up my back like no tomm and rain keeps landing on my head! So I'm leaving"

Wise grass hopper smiles, "How boring life would be if it was always sunny and predictable. Wish you all the best in newer pastures."

Young grass hopper, "What will you do?"

Wise, "I make my stand here. Defend this pasture as always through thick and thin"

All five points we already knew when the CLD was launched, so nothing new. In the end it's a queastion if Calypso can add more players to compensate for those leaving the planet for other planets or quiting the game. But that we already knew.

Well anyone who was wanted to invest in CLD should have taken the trouble to look up the definition of a deed.

This is the least of my concerns. Please all, don't get hung up on this point. I am not that concerned about the ownership aspect. I always understood their was no legal recourse for ownership rights to the platform, the planet or the assets.

Back