Question: Is 3Gb card worthwhile?

Few Scars

Marauder
Society
Freelancer
Bjorn Bjorn Longstaff
Hi
Looking to update my NVIDIA GeForce card, options include the 2Gb options or spending a bit more on the 3Gb ones. From your experience running Very High Settings made much difference with a 3Gb card or is the 2Gb sufficient?
Have seen the GFX 590 3Gb at good prices, but there are now the new GFX 600 series.

Cheers
Bjorn

Hi Few Scars,

The dual GTX590 3Gb card is not fully compatible with Entropia Universe at this time.
On card SLI not supported.

I would recommend a 680GTX Nvidia or high end 7000 series AMD/ATI card :)

For one screen up to 1600x1200 2Gb is more than enough. If you run one of those fancy 2560x1600 monitors then you should be ok, but consider a bigger card (3-4Gb) just to be more future-proof. If you run multiple monitors then get 4Gb and up cards, I think there are some 6Gb models.

TL;DR: One monitor 1.5Gb and up is enough.

If you run multiple monitors then get 4Gb and up cards, I think there are some 6Gb models.

Looks at Bjorn strangely and imagines him doing this :

http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/...nitorsubtype_keyvisual1_ls23murhb/xp_20120717

03-monitor-0.jpg

$ 4,000 AUD ;)

I think it would be a better idea to get one of the newer NVIDIA cards based on the new Kepler chipset. I think it starts with GTX670 as the cheapest. For EU any of the cards you mentioned should do easily... lol but for UE4 only the Kepler ones are said to support the highest settings.

I think it would be a better idea to get one of the newer NVIDIA cards based on the new Kepler chipset. I think it starts with GTX670 as the cheapest. For EU any of the cards you mentioned should do easily... lol but for UE4 only the Kepler ones are said to support the highest settings.

What Xerox said :) I would go with this recommendation too if it is within your budget range,

Did you decide on a card at this time Few Scars ?

Link $ 500 - 600 AUD 670GTX> http://www.techbuy.com.au/search.as...DS&srchNumRecs=20&srchSortBy=2&rbSrchType=ALL

Last edited:
Unless you're using a plasma TV as monitor, I honestly don't see the point.
I'd say "put that cash on better clock speed" but tbh graphics cards are hard to compare by simple numbers. Instead I'd suggest checking out sites like http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php and pick a card that gets more points (given that you want to spend more cash).

Unless you're using a plasma TV as monitor, I honestly don't see the point.
I'd say "put that cash on better clock speed" but tbh graphics cards are hard to compare by simple numbers. Instead I'd suggest checking out sites like http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php and pick a card that gets more points (given that you want to spend more cash).

I was thinking this tbh,

$ 2000 bucks he would spend on a 3Gb/4Gb card, don't do that, buy these instead:

Same as what I run, its fookin amazing when gaming, 7ms refresh only but still amazing @ 2560 x 1600

30" monitor > $ 1600 bucks > http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/190068/MONITORS_30_LCD_AND_LARGER/Dell/U3011.asp

GTX 680 GTX > although GTX 670 is fine > link as posted in previous post, Asus is the better all rounder.

In all honesty, the 30" monitor at the higher resolution will almost make you cream yourself.

Sure its ~ 800 AUD more than a 27" but it is well worth it.

Keep in mind FS is from Western Australaia. So aussie prices please :)

Last edited:
Based on a recent purchase, I am hard pressed to think those pricey cards are worth the dough.

Spent lil over 1k on my last custom rig and was in the same boat, upgrade card and more or new comp.
Was planning on spending 800 for my upgraded parts, or building a new rig for 1500ish.

Got my son a laptop, *accidently installed entropia, and was amazed.($400)
Uninstalled, ordered laptop for me, now have 3x the computer I had at least.

Acer Aspire AS5560G-7809 NX.RURAA.001 Notebook PC - AMD Quad-Core A6-3420M 1.5GHz, 4GB DDR3, 320GB HDD, DVDRW, AMD Radeon HD 7670M, 15.6" Display, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

$400 latop, runs everything maxxed on my HDTV. Thanks to the dual graphics (1 integrated, 1 dedicated w/1gb), and a 40 dollar 8 gig memory upgrade.

did I mention 400 bucks? Its portable, so much more quiet and runs cool.

I would have never considered a laptop for a game rig, turns out, I saved myself over $800 in upgrades for the quality (max) I wanted. I even run my 3d modelling, and run several game engine sdk's without a hitch. (unreal, crysis,unity) (this is with EU in the background :))

Im still in shock, a $400 laptop isn't supposed to out perform my $1500 rig (built within 18 months). Upgrading to win 7 would probably cost me more ;).

Also My old tower card GTS 250 had twice as much video ram (2 gb), the laptop runs smoother with 1 GB dedicated(though has integrated gfx+dedicated, not sure how that equates/stacks memory wise). So from my experience I cant say that an extra gig or 2 on the video card itself is noticeable, at least with EU specifically.

For me, spending 2k on a rig that will be outdated very soon, vs 400 on a laptop that will be outdated very soon,

The laptop wins hands down, especially when it already runs everything on ultra high.

I am extremely glad I didn't fork out the extra cash, to get the result I was looking for.

Something to really consider.

Something a little different.

Hi Few Scars,

I am trying something different atm ... Setting it up now so I will post apic once done.

I sold off my GTX680 card for 600 bucks yesterday and bought a ATI/AMD Asus 7850.

I also bought a 55" TV Sansung 200 CRM. Clear motion rate.

And a 5.1 surround sound system, total price 1900 bucks, both samsung from Bing Lee.

I am going to try and run EU highest settings and see how I go.

The initial test on the 30" dell monitor works fine,
but the real test is in a place like Twin Peaks where the population is high :)

I setup an entire room in my house to do this in :)

Post pics later and results.

Initial pic, 55 inch samsung and 5.1 surround sound system (without speakers)

p1020018hmmm.jpg

Har, I must be mad

Har, I must be mad, I wanted to see what I could achieve for sub 2k-3k usd/aud ! :laugh:

Fixing up new furniture.

Equipment and room:

5 Mtrs x 4Mtrs room dimensions
Computer system - Nothing special, 16 Gb, 1Gb HDD, ATI 7850 Video card.
Monitor - 55" Samsung TV.
Samsung 5.1 Surround Sound with Bluray player & Amp etc.
2 x 800W Uninteruptable Power supplies (Computer uses one, TV, sound system the other)

:) My bet is that a 3Gb card is not worthwhile and the money could be better spent elsewhere.
Doing something a little bit nuts if you will, but that has multiple uses.

DVDFAB anyone hehe :) yea google it.

Last edited:
i did put in the GTX 670 yesterday.. works nice on very high settings.. EU dosnt support dual ATI cards so would not buy ATI/AMD again. had dual 6850 before..

i did put in the GTX 670 yesterday.. works nice on very high settings.. EU dosnt support dual ATI cards so would not buy ATI/AMD again. had dual 6850 before..

Aye, SLI not supported yet :(

ANyway new system setup in place and it freaking rocks :)

55" Samsung, Samsung BD player & surround 5.1.

Looks great, going to take it into Entropia soon for a test run.

Cheers,
Viper

Yeah I am hopefully getting a GTX 670 soon, upgrading to Win7 64bit with 12-24 RAM and see how things improve one killer I found was the amount of dust clogging up my fans! No wonder I ran so hot!

Yeah I am hopefully getting a GTX 670 soon, upgrading to Win7 64bit with 12-24 RAM and see how things improve one killer I found was the amount of dust clogging up my fans! No wonder I ran so hot!

Dust bunnies are like real bunnies.. they multiply like rabbits!! :yay:Once they invade your territory, the only solution is the dust bunny's nemisis.. the dreaded and evil can of air!!! :yup:

Must kill all dust bunnies!! :launcher:

Last edited:
I ran a few space simulator games and this card > http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/188947/VIDEOCARDS_RADEON_7000_SERIES/ASUS/HD7850-DC2-2GD5.asp

Works extremely well, yes it is a major downgrade from the 680GTX ~ 400 bucks cheaper, 200 bucks cheaper than the GTX670 but it works in highest settings fine.

Now for the Entropia run hehe :)

Update: Works extremely well in windowed Mode, 1600 x 900 without glitches in twins on highest settings. I use this windowed mode Entropia so I can do other application tasks in the background, for me its a win win. New card + sound system + bluray + 55" monitor, total price ~ 2300 aud/usd.

Last edited:
Yeah I am hopefully getting a GTX 670 soon, upgrading to Win7 64bit with 12-24 RAM and see how things improve

You will not be disappointed :) Good move!

Back