Low participation on events - why ?

Why I don`t participate in more events in order.

The unpredictability of my schedule throughout the day.
The usual lack of disposable PEDs.
Impotence in the face of uber players.

If conditions were right I`d get in an event in a heartbeat. But I am more likely to join in things on the spur of the moment. I just can`t guarantee I`ll be around or able to play much when event time comes. My schedule is for lack of a better word dynamic.

I dont join because time is not suitable for me.

The main reason is that people go to ring for relax and dont want to care about ped or hunting. For these guys, they won't participate your pvp event :D

other reason is that lots of information in your event. not much people read all them and also they won't understand what u plan there. Too much confused --> not join

besides that, there are several free or cheap events around. why do we spend the event we have no chance to win :silly2: (only OLA10 - Reis Defence have 2nd 3rd reward, others do not)

It's my opinion and maybe others will think differently

why do we spend the event we have no chance to win

Well, in this case, since no-one turned up anyone who had entered would have won ;)

But yes, most people won't look at PvP events because they expect to have no chance. This perhaps applies to the other event types too to some extent, even though Highest Single Loot events would seem to give the underdog the most chance, Most Loot Wins events seem to be more commonplace. And also, yes, event thread was a bit hard to understand. There's a lot of events to choose from, if people don't get what's going on after reading the first few sentences the odds are they'll move on to the next thread.

Reactions: Pip
And this is where you come back to presentation ;)

I think it all boils down to Cost vs Reward.

Even at 10 PED most people will hesitate before buying a ticket. If you feel you have absolutely no chance of winning (whether you are right or wrong) then you are unlikely to want to pay 10 PED for the privilege of finding out.

The lower the ticket price, the lower the risk and therefore the more people who will give it a shot, even if they don't feel confident about being able to compete.

Having a 2nd and 3rd prize also helps to encourage people to feel they have more chance of winning something.

The PvP event was probably perceived as the 'most risky' of these events. Everyone knows that if Star, Rei, or even someone like Akon turned up, anyone without a very good PvP set-up (which is most people) would have no chance. And at 20 PED that's not worth the risk.

Of course in this event that's not how it turned out, but it's the perception and expectation that drive people's decision, and I guess in this case no-one expected that they would have such an easy victory if they had entered.

My socmate Softhart recently ran a PK event at Zychion which was free to enter, and about 20 people showed up. I'm currently helping Cat to set up the Battle Royale PvP event, which again is free to enter, and lots of people have registered for that (40+ iirc).

Also I'd agree with others that the forum posts were a bit confusing, it took me a while to work out what the competition is all about and I'm still not entirely clear how it will develop over the month, and how the monthly event works.

As for advertising - well we already spoke a little about that :D. When I run in-system events I usually hop round the busier TPs for an hour or so before the event starts. That gives me just about the right amount of time to do two complete circuits of all the places worth visiting, with just one quick ad message in each place and a few seconds hanging around in case of questions etc. It usually gets a few extra people in and at that level it's certainly not what I would consider spamming, and I've never heard anyone complain about it (I guess "spamming the TPs" is a phrase that's sometimes used, but that's just a turn of phrase, really, rather than any kind of negative statement).

Finally I think it's worth pointing out that it's always hard to attract players to unofficial events. I believe you had 14 entrants in total in the two hunting events, which I would consider a pretty good attendance for a single event, especially for one being run for the first time.

I have been on 3 events I think :scratch2: and that's really lame of me ... I'v actually been here for 2 years believe it or not. but why don't I go on more event well I'm afraid to lose and mostly I don't have any peds

Imagine 3 watches.

One watch is £150 yet is very plain

One has all the bells and whistles, 3 spinny things that show seconds and tachometer yet costs £250

The other is a plain watch again but costs £350...

someone was watching Numb3rs.

PVP events to me are waste of ped, I'm probably one of the few that after nearly 3-4years has never bought a shot and entered the lootable pvp areas and have absolutely no wish to do so. If I wanted to go pvp I'd play CS or UT where its down to personal skill, not how much you've spent on your gear and I don't have to pay for ammo.

As for hsloot or mloot events, my track record on loot isn't great I can go for months without one above 15ped and my last global was nearly 2 months ago during the eomon migration so from that why would I assume I stood chance in an event that I had to pay to enter. Besides that I'm limited to 500ped per month which for some is not even enough for a single nights hunting.

I know someone who entered the exarosaur event in a LA but from what they told me they spent most of the time looking for them as the spawn rate was so low the whole LA was cleared within a 10-15minutes of the 1hr long event starting.

hmm, maybe this isn't the type of event EU needs after all.

But i think the idea is one that could be grown... to get people to come to an event these days the event has to offer something speical or unique or else people don't really bother. Which is what i was sure your event could offer and so put my name and reputation to it.

What i believe you have here tho is something brilliant and you have the peds needed to invest to create something amazing, maybe not this event, but another event will come up good soon.

someone was watching Numb3rs.

I love numb3rs :yay:

It is only this show that told people what has been going on, that people like me have known for years...but the principle still stands, too many people focus everyone on the price when what you should in fact be doing is trying to make everyone forget it and focus instead on the benefit.

Say you have an event for 10 ped, how much would people waste for 1-3 hours on their own??!

I am guessing many times that, so all you do is advertise that one lucky person will get the equivilent of a HOF for an afternoon of running around blasting at everyone.

The money is already gone if people listen to the stuff spouted here, that whatever you deposit is gone and dont expect it back so what have they got to lose?

The only issue you have is trying to convince people that they have a chance, too many are pissed off with the idea that only ubers can win such things so it is up to you to figure out a way to sell them the benefit of joining your event for 10ped instead of someone elses.

Maybe by making a rule on opalo only/no armour, so everyone has a shot ;)

Another game you could try that has been quite popular in Runescape is "Fugitive"...one guy gets a 5 minute head start and one person has to track them down and kill them with time trial, instead of it being a chaotic free-for-all. The benefit of this is that you will end up with real leaderboards for the best at using tactics and evasion, as well as other more interesting things. The way you verify a kill in a specific time is watch the revival points ;)

People have been to these PvP events for years and the only thing they have is death, and while that may be fun your job is to come up with an idea to get people talking about how much fun it was.

Last edited:
Just my two pecs

Have not read all the post, very late here, but my 2 pecs...

I did 'events', worked my ass off, and always saw the same winners...

So, don't do it anymore..

DS

I know someone who entered the exarosaur event in a LA but from what they told me they spent most of the time looking for them as the spawn rate was so low the whole LA was cleared within a 10-15minutes of the 1hr long event starting.

You're not talking about last night's event though, right? The spawn was just fine yesterday.

I guess your friend is probably talking about the weekly Exaromania event that HU used to run. That event used to regularly get 100 entrants - because it was free and accessible to lower-skilled players. And yes, the spawn disappeared pretty quickly as a result.

You're not talking about last night's event though, right? The spawn was just fine yesterday.

Imho he is talking about the Exaromania Event at Queteshs LA, befor the Armax DNA has been installed.

If there are 50 hunters at an LA hunting Exa, exctly that will happen. All Exa wiped out within 10-15min. And then the search for the respawns starts.
Its a little anoying, but its very unlikely to get 50 hunters into an event that charges a 10 PED start fee ;)

Queteshs LA was 6 DNA maxed, at the LA where the Tactic Event has been, there is only 5 DNA maxed and 1 Argo DNA minimal spawn.
No way to get an decent Exa spawn over a 1 hour event time, with a lot of hunters!

Low participation, why?

Well, from my viewpoint, an event has to be an event that gets me to do what I would want to do anyway, but with the small possibility of an extra reward at the end (the Prize).

A PVP event is of no interest to me. I am not into PVP.

A mining event is of small interest to me as I seem to have used up all my mining luck when I first started, several years ago.

Also, why should I pay for a ticket and pay a tax to hunt a mob I can find in a tax free zone?

I know some mobs are LA only....

No disrespect to those who run highly successful events/event series, but I find most of them are a niche market.
If you get few/no participants, perhaps you are catering for a non-existent niche?
"50 peds a ticket, 100 ped prize, Chirpy hunt, biggest glow wins" would not attract many I think?

I do not try to run events, as I can not actually think of one I would want to take part in!

Well Dorsai, but there have been free events, with some 100 PED prizes, and still noone is interested! Why ???
OK, the mobs are taxed, but can you win this extra prize from an untaxed spawn ???

I would totaly attend, you have a good setup. my problem is that i have limited time to play and i cant get RL to coincide with PE nomore :mad: These days PE is when i have a free hour here and there.

Well Dorsai, but there have been free events, with some 100 PED prizes, and still noone is interested! Why ???
OK, the mobs are taxed, but can you win this extra prize from an untaxed spawn ???

Nice example. Let's say its an hour long event, tax at 4% and I hunt at 300 PED per hour. I join the event along with 4 other people, equally matched.

So assuming I break even on loot, I spend 12 PED in tax. On average I'll win the event once in five times, so I spend 60 PED tax on average to win the 100 PED prize. So event is good value for me.

Now assume it gets more popular and now there are 9 other people, equally matched. Now I win the event once in ten times, so I spend 120 PED tax on average to win the 100 PED prize. So unless the LA has a unique mob spawn, I'm better off hunting the mob on free land. But maybe I join for the fun of the event.

Now assume it gets more popular still and there are 15 other people, some of them using much higher dps than me. I won't bother doing the math, its a no-brainer.

Nice example. Let's say its an hour long event, tax at 4% and I hunt at 300 PED per hour. I join the event along with 4 other people, equally matched.

So assuming I break even on loot, I spend 12 PED in tax. On average I'll win the event once in five times, so I spend 60 PED tax on average to win the 100 PED prize. So event is good value for me.

Now assume it gets more popular and now there are 9 other people, equally matched. Now I win the event once in ten times, so I spend 120 PED tax on average to win the 100 PED prize. So unless the LA has a unique mob spawn, I'm better off hunting the mob on free land. But maybe I join for the fun of the event.

Now assume it gets more popular still and there are 15 other people, some of them using much higher dps than me. I won't bother doing the math, its a no-brainer.

Please keep in mind that the higher the number of participants gets on a taxed LA the higher the income for the landowner will be and thereby he/she can give out higher or more rewards.

Yes participating in events will in most cases be connected to putting some effort into it and as we have the effort vs. time relation in entropia it will always be connected to money.

In case people dont like the idead of paying for a 'Service' that yields the chance to receive an reward - there is no way to convince them except greed.

Its just like watching lottery, funny how many people start playing lottery if the jackpot exceeds certain marks - but without the winning chances getting any higher.

Maybe the question should be will you participate in an event with:
- Free tickets and 100 Ped reward
- 10 Ped per ticket and 300 Ped reward - with 10-50 participants
- 100 Ped per ticket and 3000 Ped reward - with 10-50 participants
- 1000 Ped per ticket and 30000 Ped reward - with 10-50 participants
- 1 Ped per ticket and 10000 Ped reward but 10 hours running and 50 participants / preregistration only / making sure noone wins due to blocking out others

And how would the number of possible participants affect your choice ?
What if this would be an HighestSingleLoot event ?
What if it were an PVP event ? (excluding the option with 10hours duration as it wouldnt yield tax ;))

Personally, I never really pay attention to player-organized events because I usually don't have the skills/equipment or am not even going to be available when it's taking place. It's not worth it to read post after post only to find out you can't compete or to shell out ped for a ticket just to loose...
I agree. I was intending to take part in Examania once I was able to use an M4. I bought my M4(L) and the event was stopped so I never got the chance to take part.
I would seriously consider taking part in an event which:
1. Was free or cheap to take part in
2. Was restricted to players of about my own level
3. Did not require more than (say) 100 PED ammo to have a realistic chance of winning
4. Took place between 20:00 and 21:00 MA time

The actual value of the prize is not too important for me.

Well John you talked with me some time back an posted on our socforum.
I cannot talk for the others though.

For me as I promised I looked at the event, but actually I have a small vacation now and am on my crappy notebook with lots of crashing.
No way to attend an event for me at the time being.

And I guess many people will be very busy all for different reasons just after christmas and new year.

Personally if I would want to organize an event I would have waited for February if not even March.

Keep up the good work John B Knight :)

I knew this participant number will be problem with your setup :(

Numbers will clime, just need to give people time to learn that there is Tactic Tuesday... after month, two or three you can see what community really likes about Tactic Tuesday.

Regards
Zap

Please keep in mind that the higher the number of participants gets on a taxed LA the higher the income for the landowner will be and thereby he/she can give out higher or more rewards.

Yes indeed, the tricky bit is getting to the point where you know you'll have a certain number of participants and hence can afford to offer prize money that'll attract more participants.

Formidon Friday was a good example when it started up, I don't know how its doing these days but when it started there was a fairly high prize fund for a competition of its type. It could have fell flat on its face, but the owner of the land got all his soc mates to join in, which guaranteed decent numbers for the first few events. After that enough people had heard about it to sustain enough interest.

In case people dont like the idead of paying for a 'Service' that yields the chance to receive an reward - there is no way to convince them except greed.

Its just like watching lottery, funny how many people start playing lottery if the jackpot exceeds certain marks - but without the winning chances getting any higher.

Well its tricky, if you're using a service, you want to see a benefit. With something like the lottery, you pay a small amount of money that will not change your life in any way if you lose in exchange for a tiny chance of winning a life-changing amount of money. So you don't care necessarily that the average long run result will be a loss, because you're not staking enough to care.

With an event its different. Let's take the 'free' event offering 100 PED prize as incentive. Does it work as an incentive? No, not really. One win of 100 PED doesn't change our lives, or our in-game lives, so we're only entering if we think there's good value in it in the long run. But the event organiser is only running it if there's value in it for him too. So it can only succeed if there are people entering it for the fun of an event, or who have misjudged their chances.

Robot War/Mayhem is quite different, because in those tournaments the prizes at stake are big enough to change someone's EU life, so the attitude to entering is different.

- 1 Ped per ticket and 10000 Ped reward but 10 hours running and 50 participants / preregistration only / making sure noone wins due to blocking out others

Speaking only for myself, with the first two, I might enter every now and then for the fun of an event, but I'm not likely to plan in advance to attend and keep myself free for them. The prize is $30 and I'll have no more than a 1/10 chance of winning it. So its for fun only, and well, I have fun in my normal EU play so I'd just play for a change once in a while.

As the prizes and costs increase, it would really depend on how I assess my chances of winning and whether I have the bankroll for it. The problem is as prizes increase, the chance I have to win diminishes fast as some ubers I have no hope of beating will be more likely to join. To beat a number of people from the top societies in a Most Loot Wins event for instance, I'd likely need a 500+ PED single loot. And I know from normal hunting how often that happens, just not enough to tempt me into believing I have a real chance. In a highest loot wins event I may be more tempted, as then luck plays a bigger role so I have some hope, but still depends on how I assess my chances really (e.g. Robot War I felt I had a small chance of looting something good so I went for it, Mayhem I felt I had no chance with what I could afford to invest so I didn't bother).

I don't understand the last option (making sure no-one wins?) so I won't comment on it.

And how would the number of possible participants affect your choice ?
What if this would be an HighestSingleLoot event ?
What if it were an PVP event ?

PVP I wouldn't enter. HSL I'm more likely to enter than anything else.

---------

Don't get me wrong, fun can be an important part of deciding whether to enter an event too. But its harder to explain exactly how it works. For instance, I take part in WoF - no significant prize, but huge following. OK, no real cost since you can just play as if its normal EU, but in order to win its probably requiring strategies that cost a bit. But the real attraction is the fun and the competition. Where as most of the events using the in-game system, the main attraction is the prize and in that case inevitably we're going to be looking for value.

Last edited:
).
I don't understand the last option (making sure no-one wins?) so I won't comment on it.

This was just referring to in case you have a ticket price of 1 ped and a reward of 10k and everyone can register at the landmarker it would be possible that 50 people register only one shoots a mob and splits the reward with all others afterwards - nice win there ;)
To allow 1 ped ticket fee and long duration with MA eventsystem you need to be sure the participants actually will compete in case of giving out such a high reward otherwise it wont pay its costs.

Free Events are always fun, and I like partizipating, no matter if its highest single or most total loot!

10 PED / ticket at 300 PED reward. No way!
This is greedy promoter.
Cost for events are 100 PED + prize = 400 PED at a 300 PED event. And there is always the option to get sponsoring money from the LA owner.
If the promoter is the landowner himself, a 300 PED event should be free, as he may profit if he manages to get 30+ hunters into this event.
Imho ticket fees around 3-5 PED are fair enough to reduce the risk for the promoter.

100 PED / ticket at 3000 PED prize, no way still greedy promoter.
Break even with 30 hunters only from tickets, and additionally sponsoring money from LA owner. Its ok, if the promoter take the risk, and needs at least 50 hunters to break even.
Assume 200 PED sponsoring money and install cost of 100 PED, it means 2900 / 50 = 58 PED ticket price. You see what I mean ???

1000 PED / ticket at 30k prize.
Assume the prize is a valuable armor part with a markup of 30k PED or a high end weapon with such a markup (pure money is lame for such events !!!)
If the ticket price is fair such an event should be sold out.
Fair ticket prize in that case 30k / 50 = 600 PED, and the promoter profits from LA owners sponsoring.
Won´t join such an event as 600 PED / ticket is a pain, and the chance to win is low, as already mentenioned by others. Thats an event for UBERs that will get another UBER item, as no other will stand a real chance agianst them.
Increse the number of participants in that case to max 100, and lower the ticket price to 300 PED! Still a lot of PED at much lower chance to win :)
LOL don´t think any promoter would take the risk on promoting such an event.
If not sold out its a huge loss for the promoter!

1 PED ticket 10 hours of hunting with a prize of 10k PED, no way for LA owner to break even without an ATH hit during this time at his LA.
Consider this event is sold out 50 tickets, noone hired a fapper! Number of hunters will be reduced by every hired FAPer, in worst case that means 25 hunters hired 25 FAPers
OK, but lets calculate it with 50 hunters!
Average mid level hunters blows away around 300-500 PED / hour during an event.
Asume the high number, and its 500 * 10 * 50 = 250k PED turnover.
Asume an average loot of 80% from turnover = 200k PED Loot.
Average tax at LAs range from 3-5%. Best case 10k PED tax at a 5% taxed LA. Very unlikely that all the 50 hunters stay the complete 10 hours during this event, as some will run out of PED, some give up, some don´t have the time due RL things like job e.g. and already mentioned, some will hire a FAPer which won´t produce the 500 PED / hour turnover. On lower level mobs, some of the participants will try their luck with a more eco setup (lower turnover) but the lucky HoF.
And there is an additional risk, some hunters will hire softeners, was we have seen such tactics at mayhem event already.
For the landowner such an event is just a giveaway of thousands of PED, as he will never manage to make enough PED from tax, to pay the prize!

It says: Noone wins by blocking others!
In such an event it would be easy to buy all 100 available tickets, and voila you won that event, as you are the only participant.
At a 30k PED prize, definately a good deal!

Free Events are always fun, and I like partizipating, no matter if its highest single or most total loot!

10 PED / ticket at 300 PED reward. No way!
This is greedy promoter.
Cost for events are 100 PED + prize = 400 PED at a 300 PED event. And there is always the option to get sponsoring money from the LA owner.
If the promoter is the landowner himself, a 300 PED event should be free, as he may profit if he manages to get 30+ hunters into this event.
Imho ticket fees around 3-5 PED are fair enough to reduce the risk for the promoter.

If you assume 40+ participants on average that sure is a greedy promoter, but this wasnt my point. I gave a range of 10-50 participants and as an promoter you should never plan the 100% case otherwise you will loose alot.

Of couse if you make a nice benefit you can always give out an surprising additional reward, but you cant calculate on a 100% participation rate.

The 1 Ped vs. 10k ped was just a rough estimation, assuming directly handed out tickets to actual hunters. And at least for myself im quite sure i would burn more then 500Ped per hour in such an event.
But the more interesting question would be: Would people more likely participate in an 10 hour long event with 1 ped ticket fee to win 10k ped or would they choose an 300 Ped ticket for 10K reward and 1 hour duration over it if given the chance ?

Back to the base:
Any actual hunters here who activly PVP and have an opinion on PVP events and what an good reward should look like ? :)

This was just referring to in case you have a ticket price of 1 ped and a reward of 10k and everyone can register at the landmarker it would be possible that 50 people register only one shoots a mob and splits the reward with all others afterwards - nice win there ;)
To allow 1 ped ticket fee and long duration with MA eventsystem you need to be sure the participants actually will compete in case of giving out such a high reward otherwise it wont pay its costs.

Ah k sure, I get you.

I guess this is similar then to how the monthly events tend to work. No entry fee, but to win you need to spend a long time in the LA. It can work, but it can fail too. Depends I guess on the perceived value on offer, how well its marketed, how fun the event set up is, whether its easy to understand how it works, etc.

Going back to your 1000 --> 30000 PED prize one for a moment, in this one you have a significant prize, but also significant outlay, and due to the size of the prize and entry fee, tax is not going to add up to much unless its very long running (compare with the successful Champions League which over the course of a season has comparable entry fee and prizes - works well it seems, especially with the added glamour of the event, Neverdie live commentary, win entry to MMOWC, etc).

But for a 1000 PED entry, 30000 PED prize tournament over the course of a 1 or 2 hour event using the in-game system, I'm not sure it would work. Even if there's only 10 entrants I probably wouldn't enter, despite the apparent value. Problem is, on average I would need to enter 10 times to win the 30k PED. But I don't have 10k PED spare on my card, so odds are I'm going to go broke before I win. Added to which, if a few uber players are amongst those 10 entrants, the value for me might not be as good as it looks anyway.

I think MA could help with some of these issues by improving the event system. Its been discussed before, but I think some of the following would help with various events a lot:

(i) Extended scoreboard, showing points as well as position. Persists for a while after event ends. (good for leaderboard tournaments, and for general entertainment value of events)
(ii) Possibility to add prizes for 2nd, 3rd, etc, directly into the system.
(iii) Possibility to feed a proportion of the entry fee into the prize, so prize goes up as number of entrants increases.
(iv) Event terminals where you can see all currently set up events, and buy tickets or register for them.
(v) Tournaments with skill limitations
(vi) Means to stop teaming and pre-damage from working

I'm sure there's more, but that's what springs to mind right now. Some of them can't be hard to implement, some require more work. (vi) is particularly tricky, but also important imo. But (i)-(iv) should be simple enough and I think would improve things a lot.

I think MA could help with some of these issues by improving the event system. Its been discussed before, but I think some of the following would help with various events a lot:

(i) Extended scoreboard, showing points as well as position. Persists for a while after event ends. (good for leaderboard tournaments, and for general entertainment value of events)
(ii) Possibility to add prizes for 2nd, 3rd, etc, directly into the system.
(iii) Possibility to feed a proportion of the entry fee into the prize, so prize goes up as number of entrants increases.
(iv) Event terminals where you can see all currently set up events, and buy tickets or register for them.
(v) Tournaments with skill limitations
(vi) Means to stop teaming and pre-damage from working

I'm sure there's more, but that's what springs to mind right now. Some of them can't be hard to implement, some require more work. (vi) is particularly tricky, but also important imo. But (i)-(iv) should be simple enough and I think would improve things a lot.

I think the teaming and predamging issue would be quite simple to solve - just make all mobs on the LA respawn at the start of the event and make all participants join one group with extended 'damage stack share' lootrules.
With 'extended' i mean that the actual loot of the mob gets reduced to the percentage of damage that was done to it by all event participants - excluding that part of loot that would belong to people who assistet shooting the mob from outside of the eventarea.

just make all mobs on the LA respawn at the start of the event

Yeah that'd work. How easy or not it is to implement I don't know, sounds almost like a server reboot but just for a part of a server.

and make all participants join one group with extended 'damage stack share' lootrules.
With 'extended' i mean that the actual loot of the mob gets reduced to the percentage of damage that was done to it by all event participants - excluding that part of loot that would belong to people who assistet shooting the mob from outside of the eventarea.

Its not really about people outside the area - its about two (or more) people paying the entry fee and one of them fapping the other and helping with HP reduction on the mobs.

Yeah that'd work. How easy or not it is to implement I don't know, sounds almost like a server reboot but just for a part of a server.

Its not really about people outside the area - its about two (or more) people paying the entry fee and one of them fapping the other and helping with HP reduction on the mobs.

I know thats why i suggested to make all participants of the event autojoin an 'event' team with damage stack share loot rules.
That way working secretly together does not work.
Except the fapping part, but it should be possible to just disable healing other avatars - just like shooting other avatars is disabled when its not pvp.

Last edited:
I think the teaming and predamging issue would be quite simple to solve - just make all mobs on the LA respawn at the start of the event and make all participants join one group with extended 'damage stack share' lootrules.

Thats a well thought idea, it also would prefent the problems of killstealing ;)

Back