Merry Mayhem 2010

Well I'm not Hanne or Pioneer but....

The way they described it, it makes it pretty clear that the moment you log in the clock starts clicking down
regardless of what activity you plan to do and pauses the timer when you log off.
yes i know it seems pretty clear but if addressed by fpc, it maybe something that can be addressed in the future, i am pretty sure most of the hardcore players are logged on for a hell of a lot more than 30 hours in this given period normally anyway! I know i am, 30 hours is a warm up....

yes i know it seems pretty clear but if addressed by fpc, it maybe something that can be addressed in the future, i am pretty sure most of the hardcore players are logged on for a hell of a lot more than 30 hours in this given period normally anyway! I know i am, 30 hours is a warm up....

kinda the reason i will be doing my normal things and offering support here and there. i rather not limit myself for the odd chance at prizes.

yes i know it seems pretty clear but if addressed by fpc, it maybe something that can be addressed in the future

All time logged in between Dec 26th 00:00 and Dec 30th 23:59 count towards the 30 hours time limit, regardless of whether you're hunting in Mayhem or not.

Note that the time counted is the router session, which begins when you click "Login", and ends 20 seconds after you click "logout".

If we can address this in next Mayhem, we will.

First time I read about this Mayhem.

So.. Is this the bottom-line?:

The most damage to the designated creature..:
That means u have to get the most uber weapon (that u got maxed), amp & enhanced as much as possible.. and hope for a nice critical hit?

All time logged in between Dec 26th 00:00 and Dec 30th 23:59 count towards the 30 hours time limit, regardless of whether you're hunting in Mayhem or not.

Note that the time counted is the router session, which begins when you click "Login", and ends 20 seconds after you click "logout".

If we can address this in next Mayhem, we will.

COOL thanks pioneer was hoping for that response

cheers

ok i cant understand why MA cant put a big area around all the spawn areas for the mobs in question, like land areas.... have the timer start when u enter with a message like when u enter a LA then timer stops when u exit the area, and u get another message like when u leave a LA with how long u been i n there or a total time....

this way everyone can carry on doing their own stuff without worry of being over the time....

i read through all 10 pages and saw nobody mention this kind of system... heck iv not played for a year and i cant believe nobody has thought of this yet....? cant be that hard to do can it?

ok i cant understand why MA cant put a big area around all the spawn areas for the mobs in question, like land areas.... have the timer start when u enter with a message like when u enter a LA then timer stops when u exit the area, and u get another message like when u leave a LA with how long u been i n there or a total time....

this way everyone can carry on doing their own stuff without worry of being over the time....

i read through all 10 pages and saw nobody mention this kind of system... heck iv not played for a year and i cant believe nobody has thought of this yet....? cant be that hard to do can it?
Its what we hope for ofc!!

Will be mining during mayhem :) so good luck to all contestants

its what ur hoping for? how are FPC to know this if nobody gives them ideas like it? we all know how useless at managing events and stuff they are...

If you read all ten pages how come you didnt spot where fpc responded and said they had some issue with timers!

also pioneer responded to my post saying they will implement something next time if possible...

The primary reason is that timer support in the mission system is limited. It is not possible to design a mission like that. And the reason that we want to use the mission system is that it is the most fair way available for awarding kill points.

I still wouldn't design the mission around a big area like that. An area has a border, and with a little clever playing you can train a big spawn to yourself at the border, and then only cross the border for the kill shot and then walk out again. That means that it would take you only a few seconds of competition time to kill even the toughest mob - the time you're inside the border.

You could, of course, make a timer switch cooldown, so when you cross the border and the timer turns on, it takes at least 5 minutes before you can cross back and turn it off again. But that has a lot of other problems; how would the system handle if you crossed the line four minutes ago?

But this discussion is pretty academic, because the timer support in the mission system is limited.

The 30 hour rule seems a bit strange, but it's only for 5 days. Still averaging 6 hours a day of hunting time. But all in all I think it sounds pretty fair.

Just one tip : Consider the option of an Instance for these events. A confined area where players face the challenges on equal terms. I'm pretty sure you guys are working on them with the re-introduction of the beacon.

Kill stealing and unfair team advantages ruin the fun in these events. It would be really nice to see something like that in the future.

Unfair advantage goes to those with PEDs for hirelings

Kill stealing and unfair team advantages ruin the fun in these events.

Agreed.

Here are three non-competitor hirelings who can provide you with an unfair mob kill rate advantage over the fixed 30 hour limit during Merry Mayhem:
1. Wounders.
Wounders drop the mob's remaining health points (HP) down to 35%-45%, which leverages your dps by a factor of ~60% over ~40%. Think of Wounders as people who you pay in advance for the privilege of kill stealing.

2. Runners and Pullers.
In an area with lower spawn density, Runners and Pullers can increase the percentage of your time which is spent killing mobs. Even Sweat Gatherers can serve as Runners and Pullers. All they have to do is get one mob at a time to follow them back to you.

3. Fappers.
Giving you more time spent shooting instead of fapping and revival hunting (returning from revival terminal to complete a kill), Fappers immediately give you a significant damage per second (dps) advantage. For some Evaders, Fappers might have zero impact. For many, it's the difference between revival hunting or "soloing" a Chomper, Falxangius, or Araneatrox.

Just one tip : Consider the option of an Instance for these events. A confined area where players face the challenges on equal terms.

sky west's suggestion for unique instances would preclude the possibility of abusing team hunting (Wounders) and hirelings. Instancing could also provide FPC a simpler approach for implementing timers based upon the creation and destruction of each instance.

so making 4 maps one for each cat (same as NAZ)
each only TP and revive
you can go there only when you got active MM mission
time spend inside is loged as Mission time

is this realy so hard to make ??????????????????????

last year i join MM only to show how solo hunter have no chance ..
this year ..stil dont know...

re. unfair advantages:

Yeah, well last year, i competed solo on principle(though i did have a fapper, at times. I don't see that as unfair, just saves wasting PEd on overprotecting ) and campaigned for MA/FPC to disallow teams. Got loads of sigs on my petition. Just missed getting a prize ..er, disregarding that i was disqualified due to *cough* timing issues, namely log-out fail, due to "extreme lag events".

This year SEEING ABSOLUTELY NO PROGRESS ON EITHER OF THESE PROBLEMS, IN SPITE OF GOOD INTENTIONS EXPRESSED BY MA LAST YEAR, i just have to say "Sod it. It's a team event, like it or not". So i'm offering myself for hire as a mercinary instead.

Sad. But if you can't beat 'em , join em *sigh*. At least I might get to recoup some of last year's losses. And I won't get disqualified again.

Actually its not so unfair, if we only accept that it's really a team event. The problem (and the gripes) came in because MA originally designed this and presented it as a solo event, and it wasn't really evident to most of us, until December last year (when CycoKick let the cat out of the bag) that MA can't enforce a no-teaming rule which led to a sudden mass re-think and a lot more mayhem than intended.

I hope that the "stop your griping" brigade will manage to get this into their heads, and bear it in mind. We really were let-down here.

jay

I have been reading this Merry Mayhem thread and thinking about it, but I still can't get my head around some issue.

Like, what is the motivation of Planet Calypso behind this event? I've always thought it is to generate income : get lots and lots of players to hunt, hunt and hunt some more using the strongest weapons and thus spending a lot of money. But I get the impression many won't participate because it's a team event and they won't stand a change solo.

Is Merry Mayhem a team event or not? The prizes are geared towards solo players, however, they way this event is organized, teams clearly has an advantage. So, I've been thinking : how can this be an event where the fastest and best solo hunter wins? My answer : tracking by loot.

The four mobs of Merry Mayhem carry a worthless, stackable, item. This is called a Merry Mayhem Coin. The TT is 0.00001 (that's the least it can be?), it can't be traded and can't be dropped. (Like that urn you get in one of the missions, can't do shit with it). This Coin is dropped very common, but only in small amounts. Kill ten and you stand a very good change to loot seven stacks. Higher maturities drop larger stacks. Going from only 1 to 10 - 15 that is regularly dropped by Stalkers.
At the end of Merry Mayhem, give your big stack of Merry Mayhem Coins to the quest giver and Planet Calypso can register how many Merry Mayhem Coins you've looted and thus how many points you have.

Now, to prevent teams with "looter takes all" to take the lead : set the mobs to "shared loot" and disallow teams for participants. Or better : only allow certain teamsettings that makes it impossible for one hunter to loot all the Merry Mayhem Coins.

:scratch2::wise::scratch2:

Please clarify Feffoid scoring, their ranks are different than what is posted.

Please clarify Feffoid scoring, their ranks are different than what is posted.

I think the part i marked makes it clear:

Points will be awarded to participants based upon the maturity of creatures killed as follows:
Young - 1 point
Mature - 1 points

Old - 2 points
Provider - 2 points

Guardian – 3 points
Dominant - 3 points

Alpha – 4 points
Old Alpha - 4 points

Prowler - 5 points
Stalker - 5 points

Or equivalent maturity levels 1 to 10 for each creature species. Elite or boss maturities do not award kill points.

"Equivalent maturity levels" can be found here:

http://www.entropiawiki.com/Chart.aspx?chart=MobLevel&MobID=29&group=29

Or in other words:

1 point: Outcast & Bandit
2 points: Guard & Raider
3 points: Warrior & Berserker
4 points: Hunter & Warlord
5 points: Champion & Clan Warlord

If this is an event geared to individual effort, then teaming, wounding/predamging should be discouraged......
And to that end , kill count should be registered only to a player who has done >70% of the dmg to the mob....if nobody has done that then it shouldn't be counted....I think this simple rule will discourage teaming and wounding/predamaging significantly..........
Aslo if someone wants to prevent other people from getting a credit... it'd cost them a lot of peds
....just my 2c

Last edited:
Oh, teaming still allowed this year too eh? That's a shame :(
Was hoping atleast it would be split somehow with top 5 for teams and top 5 for solo hunters, and that'd be top 10 for respective category. Difficult to implement i understand, but was hoping for this year something like beacons, so only you alone could enter a "dome" so to speak and go at it for 30 hours.

Did try it solo last year just to see where i'd end up even though i knew i'd be fighting vs teams. Gave it all i got and was even 1 out of 2 that had 29.59 in time, but still only reached 18th spot i think it was as a solo hunter in cat 2. And with solo i really mean solo (no fapper, runner or anything, lol)

If i can't do it alone, i won't do it at all :D

So hopefully next year solo hunters can get a chance again.

good luck though y'all :)

There's a lot of talk of teams at the moment, so here's how we are reasoning:

Let's say that we have a way to enforce a "no team" rule. What would happen then?

The problem is that legitimate activities such as trade or hunting would look exactly the same as helper activities such as runners and taggers. I have a feeling that you would not like trading from being banned during mayhem, and stopping taggers opens the door for griefing and killstealing. Same goes for fapping: if being fapped was prohibited, you could grief participants by running around fapping them.

There are solutions, but these require coding from MindArk, and they are reluctant to do coding just for one event and for one planet partner. So we can't stop these activities, even if we could stop actual teaming. That means that prohibiting teams would be rather useless.

Also, there would be no stopping participants from organizing themselves using a third-party software or the in-game voice chat feature. Participants would have to work a little more to organize themselves into "virtual teams", to make sure everyone has the client, found the right channel etc, but it's definitely doable. We can't enforce a rule to use certain third-party software that has nothing to do with the Entropia client. And we would not be able to recognize the use of in-game voice chat for organizing the "virtual team" from just being social.

One of the most interesting ideas I've read so far would be the Mayhem Coin idea. I'm not sure it could be implemented right away without coding from MindArk, and it would mostly just discourage wounding and to some extent tagging. My guess is that someone will look at the loss of coins to taggers and compare it to the profit of saving time by not having to run to the next mob. It would not do much to runners and fappers though, so its use would be limited, but it is interesting.

The primary reason is that timer support in the mission system is limited. It is not possible to design a mission like that. And the reason that we want to use the mission system is that it is the most fair way available for awarding kill points.

I still wouldn't design the mission around a big area like that. An area has a border, and with a little clever playing you can train a big spawn to yourself at the border, and then only cross the border for the kill shot and then walk out again. That means that it would take you only a few seconds of competition time to kill even the toughest mob - the time you're inside the border.

You could, of course, make a timer switch cooldown, so when you cross the border and the timer turns on, it takes at least 5 minutes before you can cross back and turn it off again. But that has a lot of other problems; how would the system handle if you crossed the line four minutes ago?

But this discussion is pretty academic, because the timer support in the mission system is limited.

Just make MM at CP - 1 dome for each categori. When you enter a dome clock is ticking - when leaving clock is stoped. And im sure Buzz will accept the small compensation :)

(or - make 4 domes that can be used for MM and with the mob needed - when MM is done ppl can hunt as the like in the domes - such domes can be used for all kind of events - like PvP events....)

There are solutions, but these require coding from MindArk, and they are reluctant to do coding just for one event.

Understating MM a bit there arent you! its THE event :laugh:

The thing with no teaming - even if you had a rule that the person that wants to score points have to do like 51% or more of the damage (needs more solo killing than team damage), most of people won`t have a chance of top10 anyway... If it really would be a solo event we would see DOAs, MMs and similar weapons a lot in cat 2 and cat 3 ;) . No chance with x1 in cat 2 even if its a solo event...

That means that prohibiting teams would be rather useless.
No need to prohibit teams. Simply attribute the points according to the damage inflicted:

Young/Mature
100% damage inflicted - 1 point
50% damage inflicted – 0.5 pts
25% damage inflicted – 0.25 pts
10% damage inflicted – 0.1 pts

Old/Provider
100% damage inflicted - 2 pts
50% damage inflicted – 1 pts
25% damage inflicted – 0.5 pts
10% damage inflicted – 0.2 pts

Guardian/Dominant
100% damage inflicted - 3 pts
50% damage inflicted – 1.5 pts
25% damage inflicted – 0.75 pts
10% damage inflicted – 0.3 pts

Alpha/Old Alpha
100% damage inflicted - 4 pts
50% damage inflicted – 2 pts
25% damage inflicted – 1 pts
10% damage inflicted – 0.4 pts

Prowler/Stalker
100% damage inflicted - 5 pts
50% damage inflicted – 2.5 pts
25% damage inflicted – 1.25 pts
10% damage inflicted – 0.5 pts

I'm also assuming that your original score system (1 to 5 points) is more or less adjusted to the different HP for the different maturities.

I have been reading this Merry Mayhem thread and thinking about it, but I still can't get my head around some issue.

Like, what is the motivation of Planet Calypso behind this event? I've always thought it is to generate income : get lots and lots of players to hunt, hunt and hunt some more using the strongest weapons and thus spending a lot of money. But I get the impression many won't participate because it's a team event and they won't stand a change solo.

Is Merry Mayhem a team event or not? The prizes are geared towards solo players, however, they way this event is organized, teams clearly has an advantage. So, I've been thinking : how can this be an event where the fastest and best solo hunter wins? My answer : tracking by loot.

The four mobs of Merry Mayhem carry a worthless, stackable, item. This is called a Merry Mayhem Coin. The TT is 0.00001 (that's the least it can be?), it can't be traded and can't be dropped. (Like that urn you get in one of the missions, can't do shit with it). This Coin is dropped very common, but only in small amounts. Kill ten and you stand a very good change to loot seven stacks. Higher maturities drop larger stacks. Going from only 1 to 10 - 15 that is regularly dropped by Stalkers.
At the end of Merry Mayhem, give your big stack of Merry Mayhem Coins to the quest giver and Planet Calypso can register how many Merry Mayhem Coins you've looted and thus how many points you have.

Now, to prevent teams with "looter takes all" to take the lead : set the mobs to "shared loot" and disallow teams for participants. Or better : only allow certain teamsettings that makes it impossible for one hunter to loot all the Merry Mayhem Coins.

:scratch2::wise::scratch2:

awesome ! Great idea. I really can't believe there will be no in game timer. Time to fire the coders.

The thing with no teaming - even if you had a rule that the person that wants to score points have to do like 51% or more of the damage (needs more solo killing than team damage), most of people won`t have a chance of top10 anyway... If it really would be a solo event we would see DOAs, MMs and similar weapons a lot in cat 2 and cat 3 ;) . No chance with x1 in cat 2 even if its a solo event...

this is why all those "bann the teams allready" guys are simply annoying and nothing more... the situation would get just worse for them but they don't realize it. Some because they are too stu*id to do so and some because they belive in some kind of honour or something.

If it really would be a solo event we would see DOAs, MMs and similar weapons a lot in cat 2 and cat 3 ;)
There were lots of DOA in cat 2 and Cat3 already last year (including Foeripper).

Back