Question: Morality of the Vehicle Kill/Repair Cycle

Status
If you think you "forgot" you left one or more out, recall it(them). If the recall isn't instant then 1 minute wont matter that much.

One minute is enough to lose 1-2 PEDs TT, or 20+ in market value. It is enough to be frustrating.

I LOLed.
Acetone can't take no for an answer even if he is in the wrong.
7 pages for this... I think this belongs in the jokes section or something.

You're right, this thread has gone nowhere. My original point that the repair tool was not intended to be used as a weapon to permanently destroy a vehicle has not been successfully disputed. Almost every post has tried to attack something else, either to
  • Point out that I'm stupid
  • Point out that I have learned my lesson
  • Argue that vehicles are annoying
  • Tell me that I should have already known this would happen
  • Accuse me of abusing a non decaying vehicle bug that isn't obvious
  • etc.
These points may or may not be valid, but the original point, that using a repair tool as a weapon is an unintended use, is undisputed.

So the warning you want is important another warning someone else might think is important is useless just because it's not your wish?
I got down on your level thought you would see that but guess not

Warnings that tell the playing something that is not obvious is useful. Warnings that tell the player something they already know are probably not useful. I am generalising slightly here, one or more of the warnings you listed may actually be good.

I'd say repairing a vehicle may not be its intended use, but it's a valid one as vehicles are already annoying to kill and imbalance PvP enough to warrant their destruction!

I'd say its as valid as healing someone in lootable PvP in order to kill and loot them.

I would love to see a access list for people in order to repair your own vehicle :p

Either set it to "Allow all to repair my vehicle"

or

"Allow ONLY people in my guest list to repair my vehicle "

That would rawk and keel this threadz.

I'd say repairing a vehicle may not be its intended use, but it's a valid one as vehicles are already annoying to kill and imbalance PvP enough to warrant their destruction!

Alright. It is my opinion, and typically the opinion of MindArk, that unintended uses are exploits. You are allowed to disagree. I await their judgement.

I'd say its as valid as healing someone in lootable PvP in order to kill and loot them.

Hmm, that is an interesting case.

Well, a bit more on topic, I think it would be more of an exploit to have an UNREPAIRABLE vehicle sit in PvP unable to be damaged than to have it repairable, as people would then be able to use it as an unbreakable barrier that they can hide in forever or just disrupt other player's game play by leaving hundreds of broken vehicles around.

In other games, every mob always drops loot.

In SOME other games, not all. Example, Guild Wars. More mobs do not drop loot than do.

Well, a bit more on topic, I think it would be more of an exploit to have an UNREPAIRABLE vehicle sit in PvP unable to be damaged than to have it repairable, as people would then be able to use it as an unbreakable barrier that they can hide in forever or just disrupt other player's game play by leaving hundreds of broken vehicles around.

Since there is an autoreturn after a time, I don't see this as an issue. I do feel that the ability for just anyone to come up and be able to repair your vehicle is a strange game mechanic. It should be rule-bound for the owner to explicitly allow such an action, in whatever way MA would implement it, action dialog, guest list, whatever. As it is, what has been described here cannot be seen in any way anything other than harassment.

The harassment policy for MA includes the statement..
"While certain actions may cause distress to other participants, it is not considered harassment until it has been determined by MindArk that it was done to intentionally cause personal distress to other participants. "
which I believe would be easily proven by several statements in this thread. Such as this..

oh dear you have everything wrong.

we dont kill / repair your car to gain skills , would be plain stupid to spend peds on killing the car just to get to repeair it again.

when someone at rig kills your car , and repairs it so it can be killed again , they do so to cause you finacial costs

Ahhh the vehicles...

Some thoughts:
1 - I am wondering wether vehicles have lead to more or less posts on this forum than the enhancers.
2 - I really look forward to seeing what next topic will make the vehicles threads obsolete.

Some thoughts:
1 - I am wondering wether vehicles have lead to more or less posts on this forum than the enhancers.
2 - I really look forward to seeing what next topic will make the vehicles threads obsolete.

Chirpies loot bad and dont attack cars -they behave immorale! They exploit the system by stepping out of line yet polluting my radar with red dots. Ask a Chirpie about his opinion, he will most certainly run away pfff real birds fly!

sorry couldnt resist

EU is in a bad neighborhood - never leave your car, other valuables or children unattended.

To make it more fun, when your vehicle is destoyed, it should explode and cause massive dameage to everyone within a certain radius - and then magically reappear in your inventory.

Comparisons between video games and real life always give me a chuckle.

Last edited:
It seems that the all the PVPers think it is "kewl" to repeatedly repair destroyed vehicles and kill them again in order to inflict large amounts of decay. Incredibly, they are completely unable to see how this could be interpreted as abuse. Instead, they will go as far as to claim that anyone expecting not to have their vehicle decayed is abusing the system.

So how do they justify this to themselves? Apparently, the presence of a recall button makes everything okay, despite the fact that:
  1. A player does not know if their vehicle is being repaired/destroyed unless they are close to it. There are no long-range in-game notifications.
  2. The button does not always work. Occasionally lag can prevent it from working for up to a minute.
  3. A player could lose connection and be unable to recall it.
  4. A frustrated player may simply decide to log off and forget to press the button.
  5. A player may have enough faith in humanity to expect the dead vehicle to be left in peace.

The same train of logic would suggest that it is perfectly acceptable to steal a car if the owner forgets to lock it.

Many players are under the impression that anything they do is acceptable because it is all within game mechanics. Following that logic, it must be perfectly acceptable to stab someone in the face because the government allows us to have knives.

I hope it is clear that the purpose of the vehicle repairers was/is to repair the vehicle to benefit the player. It was almost certainly not designed to enable PVPers to induce massive amounts of decay in a short time period.

Attempting to explain this to PVPers is almost impossible. As soon as they hear something they don't like, they kill you.

So, I ask you as a reader of the forum: Do you think it is wrong to abuse a game mechanic to inflict financial damage against someone? PVPers thinking "OMFG NOOB CANT TAKE BEING KILLED LOL" need not bother replying.

To answer your question in the last sentence: no I don't think it's ok - but evidently MA does think it's ok since they allow people to kill you and steal your stuff in lootable PVP. Real life comparisons do not apply to video games.

Also you invite every PVPer and a lot of others to come bash you by telling them that they are not allowed to reply to your OP.

This thread delivers the humor that the forum has been lacking lately.

I submitted a report case asking if it was allowed. I got a one line response saying that shooting vehicles in PvP is allowed. Either they didn't actually read it (or their answer should have included the word "repair") or MindArk trains their employees to not notice things that make them money.

This hole topic seems to me like saying:

Repeated use of your weapon should be considered an exploit :laugh:

Give it a break. It was your fault you left the car in a pvp area.

Give it a break. It was your fault you left the car in a pvp area.

This is technically irrelevant. Leaving a car in a dodgy place in real life is bad idea, but stealing it is still wrong.

This hole topic seems to me like saying:

Repeated use of your weapon should be considered an exploit :laugh:

You seem to me like an idiot. Read the topic. Go away if you still don't understand the difference.

if a player decay's someone's vehicle, the whiners stand up, but when MA decay's youre armor with a mob no one is whining. or are those people always sending report to MA about armor decay?
maybe i'm wrong :scratch2:

It seems that the all the PVPers think it is "kewl" to repeatedly repair destroyed vehicles and kill them again in order to inflict large amounts of decay. Incredibly, they are completely unable to see how this could be interpreted as abuse. Instead, they will go as far as to claim that anyone expecting not to have their vehicle decayed is abusing the system.

In much the same way it could be "interpreted" that YOU are being abusive to your own property by taking it to a place where it can be repaired and shot over again. Knowing full well what could happen and what you are doing i think you should question your own "Morality" eh ! Like most things in life, its a two way street, three way or more on cold nights ;) End of story :smoke:

A question to anyone who thinks this is working as intended:

If MindArk wants PvPers to be able to decay a vehicle to zero in one go, why not let the vehicle simply keep taking damage after it is destroyed? The fact that you have to run up to it and repair it in order to damage it more should clearly indicate that it is not intended.

It is much more complicated than that. Read the OP.

Mobs don't repeatedly resurrect you and keep attacking you until your armor is dead.

1 no it's not, press recall
2 maybe someone is standing in a spawn, wich not kill him (over protected) but decay's the armor. so it could also decay to zero :yay:

if a player decay's someone's vehicle, the whiners stand up, but when MA decay's youre armor with a mob no one is whining. or are those people always sending report to MA about armor decay?
maybe i'm wrong :scratch2:

This! :wise:

You are missing the point. The existence of a workaround does not make something "intended behaviour".

repair tool is not for repair? :scratch2:
man i get confused about how things are working in here :D

Wait, you seriously think I would leave my vehicle to be decayed, knowing full well that this would happen? Really?

Well obviously you did (even though it might have been before you knew it could be done) and since you made the post about it, it is unclear where you had learnt your lesson. Someone who learnt their lesson would just not do it again, not go whine about it and call peoples "morality" into question.

If anything this thread should have been a FYI for those who didnt know, but because it is not a FYI, it is simply another pvp whiner...

Well obviously you did and since you made the post about it, it is unclear where you had learnt your lesson.

Do you seriously think that I would still not realise that leaving vehicles in PvP is unwise? Seriously?

Someone who learnt their lesson would just not do it again, not go whine about it and call peoples "morality" into question.

I call your intelligence into question.

If it wasn't obvious, the purpose of the post was to see the opinion of the other players.

This is the only game where posting about a potential design flaw results in being called a pvp whiner.

then people should stop people reporting for it, and send case to MA about fixing it, if they do not do it, it's suposed to happen imo.

Status
Back