My Big ass EU sports event in the making...

Pogo

Old Alpha
Banned
Society
~~~~~~~~Ex TDO
PoGo
Im thinking of planning a regular grand scale event which i hope to launch somewhere on Eudoria.

A few quick questions::::::::::::
Can someone please let me know where all the event terminals are located on Eudoria.

The events will also be team sports based (non pvp) by way of improvising with what MA offers in game. There will be sports teams playing against teams eliminating each other until the best faces the best. Would the events system allow for such a setup as ive heard it is automated. Ie will i be able to let qualifying events take place within an event in order for the best of the best to face each other on the same location at the same event. (hope that makes sense ;))

I hope to make the events public, so is it also possible for non team affiliated, paying or free spectators to be present? The games would take place in a marked area (no distance running) for all to see. I plan on having a live stream and radio broadcast during the event, as well advertisers (shop and land owners, service providers etc, so anyone who can help or whom might be interested in advertising etc please let me know if you might be interested. Once I know what I can and cant do, I will start discussing the event in much more detail with any potentially interested parties.

This will be my first Virtual event but it's quite an undertaking, so apologies for the 20 questions.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

At the moment there is no event system at all - I assume it falls under the category "land management" which I think means it should be back in VU10.1

The old event system wouldn't really have helped you with any of this. It was very restrictive, and you could only do a couple of different hunting type events, or PvP stuff. There were a few options for variations on those but there wasn't very much flexibility at all.

The only thing that could relate to what you're talking about is that by booking an event on a land area you could prevent people from entering it unless they had registered for the event.

I'm hoping that we'll get some improvements to the event system when it's reintroduced, but I'm not really expecting it yet.

My advice would be to use your imagination to develop events that will work without the event system :)

At the moment there is no event system at all - I assume it falls under the category "land management" which I think means it should be back in VU10.1

The old event system wouldn't really have helped you with any of this. It was very restrictive, and you could only do a couple of different hunting type events, or PvP stuff. There were a few options for variations on those but there wasn't very much flexibility at all.

The only thing that could relate to what you're talking about is that by booking an event on a land area you could prevent people from entering it unless they had registered for the event.

I'm hoping that we'll get some improvements to the event system when it's reintroduced, but I'm not really expecting it yet.

My advice would be to use your imagination to develop events that will work without the event system :)

I should have guessed the Events system from MA would have been ever so limiting, (no surprises there then ;) ) The good news is this give me time to try and plan a way around the restrictions and improvise a bit more.

As you say i could operate the series of events without the events system but that would present a few obstacles. Firstly as always there would be the trust issue with buying tickets from a player as apposed to a automated and regulated machine. The second issue would be the possibility of spectator interference with the games itself. Hence, it would have been great if spectators could also be kicked from the event if they interfered with the flow of events or game play.

Thanks for the input Oleg. I'll wrap my head around these new obstacles and see how i can adapt and or improvise some more.

Cheers

Firstly as always there would be the trust issue with buying tickets from a player as apposed to a automated and regulated machine.

Possibly, but if ticket prices are low then people won't be too worried about handing over 5 or 10 PED. Reputation plays a part too of course - if I did something like that I don't think I'd have any problems because I'm an established event manager, but a brand new guy with 2 posts on the forum might struggle.

Personally I don't charge for events I run outside of the LA event system, they are always free (or always have been in the past).

The second issue would be the possibility of spectator interference with the games itself. Hence, it would have been great if spectators could also be kicked from the event if they interfered with the flow of events or game play.

I think people worry about this more than they need to. I think I've only had a problem with outside interference once before, and that was easily resolved by moving to a back-up location. In last year's EUWBC we had 100+ rounds of boxing in a public ring without any problems whatsoever (on a couple of occasions someone wandered into the ring, but only because they didn't realise what was going on, and they left when we asked them to).

If you need to you can always hold your event in a PvP area and enlist the services of a guy with a big gun :D

Possibly, but if ticket prices are low then people won't be too worried about handing over 5 or 10 PED. Reputation plays a part too of course - if I did something like that I don't think I'd have any problems because I'm an established event manager, but a brand new guy with 2 posts on the forum might struggle.

Granted, a few bad apples spoil the basket so there is no point in me proclaiming my honesty and integrity without prove outside of my soc. So here is my thinking. All things above considered, perhaps seeing as the current events system is and might still be ever so restricting, i should or could enlist the services of a trusted individual. Perhaps Oleg you could contact me if interested. If not i shall continue on own as there is no point in not trying at the very least, especially if there is the slightest chance of it bringing some joy and rewards to the EU player experience.

Personally I don't charge for events I run outside of the LA event system, they are always free (or always have been in the past).

I would certainly love to hold free events. However until i can secure event sponsorship this wont be possible for the sort of events i have in mind. Long term i hope that my reputation would suffice and my resourcefulness would afford me the ability to call on possible events sponsors with ease. For the time being, i guess i will focus on events that are more entertaining rather than events with very very expensive gear or ped rewards.

I think people worry about this more than they need to. I think I've only had a problem with outside interference once before, and that was easily resolved by moving to a back-up location. In last year's EUWBC we had 100+ rounds of boxing in a public ring without any problems whatsoever (on a couple of occasions someone wandered into the ring, but only because they didn't realise what was going on, and they left when we asked them to).

Your last post got me thinking out of the box just a bit. So for the moment im placing my big one on ice and working instead on less complex idea's which could quite easily work in a non secure environment whilst still being spectator sport and rather entertaining, involving mob of course. (not dead mob par say)

If you need to you can always hold your event in a PvP area and enlist the services of a guy with a big gun :D
You joke, but i actually thought this exact scenario could be quite interesting. Think however id need more than just one big and competent gun for hire...lol. I actually have quite an interesting idea for a non conventional PVP event which again could be very interesting....

Oleg as I say, let me know if you can or could, if not that’s fine too.

Cheers

yeah, something like this would have to be done out side the event system.

(unless its amazingly changed when it comes back online :rolleyes:)

i think your on to a really awesome idea here, lots of scope and stuff you can play around with, can really have some fun with this.

thats the pleasure with event creating your only limited to your imagination :)

Granted, a few bad apples spoil the basket so there is no point in me proclaiming my honesty and integrity without prove outside of my soc. So here is my thinking. All things above considered, perhaps seeing as the current events system is and might still be ever so restricting, i should or could enlist the services of a trusted individual. Perhaps Oleg you could contact me if interested. If not i shall continue on own as there is no point in not trying at the very least, especially if there is the slightest chance of it bringing some joy and rewards to the EU player experience.

The ones that get jumped on tend to be brand new guys trying to charge 50 PED tickets. As long as you don't come across like an idiot when posting it's generally not a problem, so I think you'll be fine :)

I'm too busy with my own events and client work at the moment to get involved with other people's event planning but I'll happily give you more advice if you need it.

I would certainly love to hold free events. However until i can secure event sponsorship this wont be possible for the sort of events i have in mind. Long term i hope that my reputation would suffice and my resourcefulness would afford me the ability to call on possible events sponsors with ease. For the time being, i guess i will focus on events that are more entertaining rather than events with very very expensive gear or ped rewards.

Sponsorship is a key thing, from very small donations from other players right up to official MA/FPC sponsorship. Sometimes in order to attract that you need to start by paying for things from your own pocket - last year's boxing event cost me something like 300-400 PED but I was always looking towards getting official sponsorship this year, which I achieved.

And yes, entertainment is key too of course. Many people (myself included) are happy to enter an event with no prize, or a very small prize, if it's going to be fun.

A bit of creativity goes a long way :)

if you need some idea's etc, ive run a few system events and also run the yearly new player race, March On Troy.

sadly i can't get in game but would love to keep up the eventing myself, might be able to help you out from this side a bit.

most things with larger events are mainly PR, untill the big day :D

matthew === Cheers for the offer mate. PR is actually my line of work in RL (but for personalities), this is slightly different being VR. My big one is on ice for the moment, so i'll be rolling out a few smaller interesting events soonish i hope for noobs mainly, so i can get a feel for the VR events thing. Im making posters and checking out the land for suitable venues as you read this. I will need assistance without a shadow of a doubt, so thanks for the offer, i will be in touch mate.

Oleg === Completely understood, i figured you might be inundated. This being my first attempts at VR events i am just a little nervous (yes even though im in PR...lol) So, i think i will try and get a few bits together for a noob event just to get a taste for things. Nerves keeps me on the edge and thats a good place to work from...lol

Thanks for all the advice guy's, really appreciate it and Matthew, i will be in touch to get your advice on my first small one called X Marks The Spot (someone steals it, i learn my lesson and move on, i got loads more...lol)

The first of this events will be for noobs as a test run, so the mob on the poster wont be the mob in the noob version. I will PM you closer to when i have the full game play worked out.

un.jpg

sounds and looks really like a really good idea, will be an interesting project im sure. If you need the assistance i'll welcome the PM, i might be able to help behind the sences; with out being able to get in game is a huge frustration but would love to help you get into eventing if i can.

always great fun to be working on something.

all the best

Back